No peeking [Job/solo]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1No peeking [Job/solo] Empty No peeking [Job/solo] 02/07/18, 03:17 am

Aharon

Aharon
D-Tier
D-Tier

Job info:

It was Sunday, and Aharon was enjoying a much needed day of relaxation while sitting behind the counter at the Desert Wisdom bookstore. Now that he had been working for the academy library it was rare that he got to hang out in the shop, and spend time with his mom. The day had been largely uneventful with only a few customers dropping by in the morning. It was just after luncheon, and Issa was out front of the shop taking delivery of a special order she had been expecting for sometime. Aharon did not know much about the details, but he knew that the book in question had taken over two years to arrive after the order had been placed. Something that hard to get a hold of had to be worth a pretty penny, and considering that this was Magnostadt it probably contained hard to come by magical knowledge. At any rate Aharon wasn't too concerned. He had dedicated this day to being lazy, and being interested in something was too close to work. The budding black magician reclined further in his chair making it creak, and lean against the wall behind him.

"Honey, could you come out here please?" Issa called out with a warm, and cheerful tone. It was a trap. Aharon knew that tone all too well. Whenever his mother wanted him to clean something without magic, or reorganize the stockroom that was the very same voice she used. Too sweet to be genuine.

With a heavy sigh Aharon lifted himself from his chair. He shrugged his shoulders, and smiled. "Might as well see what she needs. If I get to it quick I might be able to slip away before she finds more chores for me to do." Aharon said to himself  as he made his way to the door of the shop. Outside his mother was standing with a thick paper wrapped package in one hand, and her wand in the other. She tapped the package three times, and the wrappings began to change shape and color. As Issa's magic took effect the dull package was transformed into a fine green wooden box. It was carved with intricate knotwork surrounding the letters "DW", and it was wrapped in a white silk ribbon tied into a complex bow. Aharon knew it was simple life magic powering the transformation as that was his mother's specialty but he was still rather impressed. He couldn't dream of achieving such elegance with his magic yet.

"Thats neat mom, who is the package for?" Aharon asked as he approached his mother. She closed the distance between the two of them, and stuffed the package into his hands.

"This book was ordered by the Academy's librarian. It is a one of a kind manuscript from Kou, and it cost a fortune to have shipped here. I need you to take this to her home right now. Normally I'd say bring it to her when she is at work but Dorothy will want to see this immediately." Issa's loving tone, and smile both vanished in an instant. Replaced with a much more stern demeanor. "Now I know how curious you can be, but the old dear has asked for complete discretion with this order so I'm afraid I placed a contingency spell on that bow. If anyone but the customer opens that box the bow will tie their hands together, and will not come undone until I make it happen so no peeking. Got it?"

"Sure thing mom, and don't worry you can count on me." Aharon answered.

Word Count
597/500

2No peeking [Job/solo] Empty Re: No peeking [Job/solo] 02/07/18, 03:52 am

Aharon

Aharon
D-Tier
D-Tier

[Sometime later, in front of the Librarian's home]

Aharon double, and triple checked the scrap of paper his mother had given him with the Librarian's address scrawled on it. He then looked to the small two story townhouse in front of him. It was of a simple stone and timber construction with white plastered walls, and was clearly decorated by a lover of cats. Everywhere you looked on the covered porch there was a statue of a different kind of cat. Even the door knocker was a brass cat who's tail was the striking piece. Making his way to the door Aharon took the tail in hand, and struck the it firmly three times.

Several moments passed and there was no answer. Aharon wanted to just turn around and leave, but he knew that his mother would be furious if he returned without delivering the package. He wondered what could be so sensitive that he couldn't just bring it to her at work. Once again he knocked this time much louder, and still there was no answer. Aharon took a seat on the porch steps to wait. Before he knew it curiosity was starting to get the better of Aharon. He wanted to know what the big secret was, and figured his mother was probably lying about the spell she placed upon the package. Slowly he began to untie it, and open the box.

"I knew it, she didn't really put a spell on it. Poor mom, she thinks she can still scare me." Aharon laughed as he laid the ribbon on his knee, and swung open the box's lid. Inside was a finely bound book that had no title or symbols at all on the cover. It was much larger than a standard book, and a perfect square. Carefully Aharon lifted it out of it's container, and began flipping pages. Inside were near photo quality charcoal renderings of large wild cats with what looked to be scholarly notes about each kind on the backside of the drawings. 

"I don't see what was so important about this" Aharon said to himself. The book was a fine piece of work to be sure, but it contained nothing sensitive or embarrassing. While he was trying to puzzle it out however he failed to notice the ribbon slowly inching it's way up his body. By the time he felt it cinching his wrists together it was much too late. Aharon's stomach was doing anxious little flips as he realized his mother's warning was no bluff. This feeling only intensified when he heard laughter coming from behind him. Turning his head to the rear he saw her; the librarian had opened the door and was now cackling at the sight of Aharon's bound up hands.

"I told your mother you were too curious for your own good. She didn't think you'd disobey her though. Easiest bet I've ever won. No matter about that though, come on in dear and bring that package. I'l fetch my scissors." The aging woman said before turning inside. "After we get those hands free I'll make us some tea, and we can discuss your payment."

End.

Word count
1123/500

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum