Controlling The Heavens[Zubaidah]

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

In a remote area a golden pillar of light suddenly fell from the sky and covered a large area. Few people witnessed this event and of those who had, one went on to investigate. A youth of a nomadic clan who had been out night riding on his favorite horse. When Kunla saw the golden light he spurred his steed to hurry towards it even though this would take him away from the river his people followed and into the dry sandy desert. What Kunla found there astonished him. It wouldn't be until dawn when the youth was able to return to his tribe but they did not believe him. He was punished for being out all night and for "lying" but Kunla refused to accept this...

[Two Months Later]

A lonely figure made a slow trail across dry cracked earth beneath the beating glare of the high noon sun. His lips were almost as fractured as the land beneath his feet and his gaze was unfocused. An experienced traveler of the desert would see that the young man was on the verge of heat stroke. But determination forced Kunla's legs to carry him onward. Then at last, the sight of Tisifun came into view. The youth paused to give a raspy shout of triumph and then hurried forward with new energy filling him from the promise of food, water, and rest.

Kunla managed to make it into the town and drag himself to an eatery. As he got food and drink in him he came back to life and became very talkative. He spoke loudly and clearly and then left. Rumors of the young man's words would soon spread around town. Word of a boy who claims he saw a star fall from the sky and give birth to an ancient city of gold. Supposedly he wants to hire a team to go claim its riches and anyone interested could find him at the Slumbering Serpent Inn.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Hmm, a city of gold, you say?’ Before one cloud had even faded beneath the sun-covered skies, word about Kunla’s story had reached Zubaidah at the Ash Company estate. ‘You think it could be a Dungeon, missus?’ She had summoned her right-hand woman Amnet as soon as Ran Wo had shared the Hashashin’s news. ‘I would’ve thought a Dungeon would be more noticeable, right?’ As they conversed, it became increasingly evident that Ran Wo was quite concerned that her information-network could have been outdone by Kunla alone. ‘Dungeon or not, why don’t we have a little talk with this Kunla, don’t you agree?'

-----

It was bright mid-afternoon when Zubaidah et al arrived at the Slumbering Serpent inn, somewhere familiar to the Ash Company workers. ‘Hey, Adolha, get a round of beers for everyone!’ Tossing a fat coin-purse at the bar-tender Adolha, Zubaidah asked the happy customers for Kunla. ‘I hear that someone’s been asking for an expedition team? I can’t offer more than some dungeon-divers and former Archaeological Society members, so would that be enough?’ As she spotted Kunla, Zubaidah would hand him some frothed beer and showcase each member of her unusual and makeshift team.

Zubaidah joined by Amnet, Ran Wo, Kihya and Constantine.

mag: 340/340 | stam: 390/390

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Adolha's reaction would not be usual, nor would the atmosphere of the Sleeping Serpent's gathering hall feel quite right. BANG! The sound of a heavy fist slamming on the table could be heard followed by shouting. "You're crazy! Even if that were true, I'm not taking my men on a suicide mission!" The leader of a mercenary group who favored the inn called the Silver Scales turned to walk away from a table at the corner. The angry man named Azir an two of his colleagues left in fury until he had noticed the VIP who had arrived. "L-Lady Mansur!" Only now did he realize free drinks were being handed out and that barging out now could be seen as disrespectful towards the her generosity.

"Ahem, I apologize for making a scene."

Embarassed, the man gave Zubaidah a bow of respect and then retreated as he changed course to return with his men to the opposite side of the hall at another table where they would nurse their bruised egos over drinks. That left the mysterious stranger alone to himself for Zubaidah and her entourage to approach.

Controlling The Heavens[Zubaidah] Animesher.com_grey-hair-sexy-anime-guy-khr-1943260

There in the corner sat Kunla who seemed used to such reactions. Rather than be bothered by Azir's outburst he simply went back to his meal. He hardly looked up from his food except to glance at Zubaidah when she arrived and chowed down until she was finished speaking. The then took several large gulps from a goblet before finally letting out a satisfied sigh. "Whether it'll be enough or not depends on fate. The question is whether or not you'll believe where we have to go. Deep into the badlands is a butte surrounded by a blizzard. The star crashed into its top so we need to scale its frozen cliffs. There is a big crater at the top that reveals a cave. Down inside there is where we find the golden city, but its full of monsters.  Oh, and I'll need you to front the costs for the expedition but I only want 20% of the treasure. We're going to need lots of wagons to transport supplies, winter gear, and the treasure of course. You still interested or not?" The youth held a confident smirk as though he cared not whether Zubaidah was the one to agree or not. He simply knew that fate would guide that person to him eventually.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

If there’s one thing you can count upon, my dear, that would be fate.’ A bright smile would greet Azir and Kunla both, unconcerned with their outbursts. ‘After all, it brought this little group together.’ Zubaidah chuckled aloud at Kunla’s reaction towards her unusual companions. He might have heard about Dungeon Beasts before, but Kunla could never prepare himself for the Ash Company’s partners. In fact, whilst Zubaidah had sat herself at Kunla’s table, a large crowd had already formed around Kihya and Constantine, anticipating another match between muscle and metal. As bets and cheers were raised behind them, Zubaidah smiled even brighter and matched Kunla’s confidence:

I’m sure fate brought us together as well.

Leaning forwards, Zubaidah accepted his offer and took a long swig of drink, ‘Well then, dear Kunla, I am happy to confirm that we have all the expedition gear you require. It might take a few days to raise and supply a caravan for the expedition, of course, but that won’t be much of an issue. After all, we can use that time to map out the coordinates and chart the best route.

Hmm, I wonder what lies in wait for us? I'm rather excited!

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Azir and his fellow scales exchanged whispers in the corner occasionally sparing nasty looks in Kunla and Zubaidah's direction while they spoke. The leader seemed even angrier after being snubbed by Lady Mansur even as he was sitting there having a drink on her dime. Kunla was oblivious to these malicious gazes however as he met Zubaidah with crossed arms as he shook his head, "No way, the map stays right here!" The young man then pointed to his own head before smirking as if he thought himself wise to be distrustful of the woman. "I'm the only one who knows where this place is and I intend to keep it that way until we get there. What will I do if you simply leave without me? No, I'll lead the expedition there myself." The stern tone with which he spoke left little hope that this was something he'd negotiate on. It was clear that this secrecy and one sided trust came as a mandatory part of the deal.

"Don't worry~"

Kunla spread his hands and smiled at Zubaidah and her entourage. "I spent the last month confirming a route we will be able to use personally. As long as you follow me, I can get us there in about 16 days assuming we hurry." A tinge of excitement was flashing in his eyes now that it seemed things were finally about to begin. "I'll be staying here while you make your preparations. Let me know when you're ready to leave...oh! And provide a good horse for me too!" He selfishly demanded with a foolish grin. As long as Zubaidah had nothing else to discuss he would then sit down and go back to his meal to eat with new vigor.

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Over the next week, Zubaidah organised all the necessary supplies for Kunla’s expedition. It took some convincing before Collia granted them the necessary funds, however, but she soon persuaded him that the Ash company would greatly benefit. When it was time for Kunla’s expedition, Zubaidah brought her caravan outside Tisifun’s gates and returned towards the Sleeping Serpent inn.

Could you call for Kunla, Adolha?’ Once he had come down, Zubaidah showed Kunla the short-haired horse waiting outside. ‘You asked for a good horse? Well, this one is amongst al-Athair’s best. She’s not much a sprinter, but certainly a stayer. She has the endurance of a cross-country runner, I must say.

So are you all ready for the expedition ahead?

Expedition Members:

Personal Equipment:

Expedition Equipment:

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 20/03/23, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

When Kunla was found to be brought over it was a sorry sight to behold. The young man had apparently made use of the Mansur name backing "His" expedition and had gotten some wealthy people to throw money at him which he had spent liberally these past couple days on booze and women. He was still reeking of liquor when the hung over Kunla finally presented himself to Zubaidah holding one hand up to bar his eyes from the sun. His disheveled appearance could hardly invoke confidence and his face held a sour look as he sized up the steed. It was a strong beast with a good temper that had long since been broken of her wildness. Taking the reins as if he were holding something disgusting he griped.

"This is a good horse? It's lost its spirit."

Unwilling to mount the mare, he let go of the reins and made his way over to a stable where he pointed out a feral horse which had yet to be tamed. "That, is a good horse." He then stumbled his way over the fence before walking right up to the agitated beast which snorted and neighed in protest. But once the youth got closer his demeanor changed and he appeared to have sobered up entirely as his movement became slow and smooth. A calming whistle sounded from Kunla's lips and soon the startled steed began to settle down, its eyes drawn to Kunla as if it were in a trance. In one natural motion Kunla grasped the horse's mane and swung himself up onto its back. His tribe was not used to using saddles and reins, instead preferring to hug themselves to their horses riding as if the two bodies could become one. After whispering a few things into the horse's ear, the steed seemed to have a fire lit under it and it suddenly took off!

"Hahaha! Good horse, good horse! I'll call you Nayzk!"

The young man laughed aloud and praised as his new stud leaped over the fencing and began to gallop off into the desert. "Come, the city of gold awaits!" Shouted Kunla as the pair quickly sped towards the horizon without any heed for the caravan's slower pace. If Zubaidah did not get her people moving soon or manage to stop their gungho guide. Kunla would risk going so far ahead that they lose his trail. If nothing else, he had chosen was hell of a fast horse for himself.

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

As she watched Kunla rush off, Zubaidah whistled for Sirrush and whispered to herself, ‘Remember when I got pissed like that every night…’ After some Hashashin took Collia’s gift-horse away, she mounted her Sirrush and soared into the skies above Tisifun. Catching up with the Ash Company’s caravan, Zubaidah flew towards the middle wagon wherein Amnet sat, scribbling notes into her father’s journal.

Note down that Kunla indulged himself in drink and women, refused our mount and took off without the caravan.’ Without even looking up, Amnet noted it down and giggled a little, ‘You could say that he looked the gift-horse in the mouth!’ ‘Tell me why I made you my right-hand woman again?’ ‘C’mon, missus, that was just begging it!

If the boy has gone too far, milady, we will be unable to catch up.’ Hopping onto the middle wagon, Ran Wo requested orders from Zubaidah, ‘I cannot believe he abused our patronage in this manner.’ ‘I know, I know, but I have to go after him on Sirrush in any case.’ ‘We will follow behind, milady.’ ‘And I'll leave beacons for you to use and gather afterwards.

With a muffled boom, Sirrush launched into the dust-filled air and raced after Kunla. Zubaidah would drop a Night Talon if her trajectory changed too much, knowing that their metal sheen would be easily noticeable for Constantine in the sunlight. In a few moments, she would spot that Kunla was slowing down and catch up with him,

Hey, hey, Kunla dear, I thought you said that we needed each other? What’s with you rushing off without us, hmm? Why don't you slow down a little...’ She would lounge upon Sirrush like some kind of couch, looking at her painted nails as if she was not flying at extreme speeds, ‘What’s up with this golden city which has you so excited?

I mean, other than the gold obviously…

Sirrush:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Two souls freed from burdens flew across the sands at a gallop without any sign of slowing. An uproarious laughter escaped Kunla's lips as he felt the dry desert air whipping against him. But the sudden arrival of his patron on her magical mount started both boy and beast alike. Kunla barely managed to keep himself atop Nayzk as the black horse reared back and neighed in fright nearly toppling over. "Woah!" The youth cooed into Nayzk's ear whilst patting its head to bring his mount some degree of calm. A snort from the beast expressed its dissatisfaction but nevertheless it did calm down after taking a few cautious steps back and away from Zubaidah and Sirrush. Kunla shot Zubaidah a sour glare for having startled his new partner but in all fairness he had indeed left them in the dust when he was supposed to be guiding them.

"I promised Nayzk to let him run freely to his hearts content. Such was the only way to earn his trust."

Stated the nomadic youth matter-of-factly as though he and the horse could share words. The seriousness on his expression was undeniably genuine. Nayzk neighed in agreement, the creature starring daggers at Sirrush with a sense of rivalry. The beast seemed to be unwilling to accept the existence of another steed faster than himself, even if it were not alive in any true sense of the word. It took another few whispers from his rider before the beast finally looked away with another snort and a shake of its head.

Rising from Nayzk's ear, Kunla shot Zubaidah a sideways glance and a raised brow in response to her question. "What? Don't you trust me?" He asked as though he were offended while riding atop a horse he'd all but stolen in her name and sped off on. "I told all there was to tell that I know when we met." Kunla said with a shrug. "I wasn't there for long, nor was I able to explore the whole place. On account of you know...it being FULL of monsters." The youth rolled his eyes as he guided Nayzk to turn back towards the direction they had come. "That is where you and your people come in. Should your dungeon diving crew be strong enough, I suspect we will get to explore the city of gold to your satisfaction." He seemed ready to take on the actual role of guide now and would proceed to lead the way without running off once they caught back up with the rest of the group.

Note:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

You said that you promised Nayzk freedom in exchange for his trust?’ As she filed her painted nails, Zubaidah glanced towards Kunla with a thin smile, ‘In the same way, you’d have to fulfil your own promise in order to earn my trust.

Wouldn’t you say that’s fair?

Once herself and Kunla had rejoined the Ash Company caravan, Zubaidah asked that Kihya keep his eye on the turbulent youth. ‘They say that men are like animals.’ She was joined by Ran Wo and Amnet once she returned, having lent Sirrush to Constantine in the meantime, ‘At least horses don’t drink until they’re pissed.’ ‘Hehe, don't you mean they don’t ‘indulge in drink’, missus?’ ‘And you ask why I didn’t want to bring you along?’ ‘Fine, fine, I’ll get back to work! Geez, you used to be so much fun…

Rolling her eyes at melodramatic Amnet, Zubaidah asked them both to relay that the Hashashin should watch for signs of Kunla’s city: ‘I just don’t want us running a wild good chase here…

-----

- Zubaidah keeping her ears open with Foolish Wisdom
- Amnet surveying for monster threats with Mind’s Jaws and Sense of Nature
- Constantine is the vanguard and look-out
- Kihya watching Kunla on the first caravan
- Ran Wo and other Hashashin are watching over the remaining caravans

Sensory Traits:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The journey continued without incident for the first few days. Kunla no longer ran off and did his job of leading the way properly. During the day he road ahead of the wagons and occasionally stopped to confirm the route. At night, he kept to himself and did not mingle with the rest of the caravan, choosing instead to sleep with Nayzk under the stars. The desert path was rough on the wagons, but good fortune had blessed them with fair weather and the caravan had been wisely stocked with spare equipment so a broken wheel and worn out axel failed to stop their progress for more than a couple hours. On the fifth day, the weather took a turn and a sand storm blew through the dunes carrying with it fierce winds and harsh cutting sands, but the expedition had been prepared for this too and so none among them were blinded or lost amidst the storm.

Real trouble would challenge them on the seventh day. From beneath a sand battered tarp emerged a small scope which scanned the horizon as the caravan came over a dune. "It's them, tell the others to get ready." Said the Silver Scales leader. He and his men had wrapped themselves in tan cloths to cover up their bright and shiny silver armor and then further covered themselves while laying low to ground. The group looked less like mercenaries and more like bandits as they lay in wait for the approaching train of wagons. It had not been hard for them to figure out the direction Kunla was leading Zubaidah and company were going. While the sand storm had covered up their tracks, the terrain of the desert only allowed for a handful of routes for a wagon to take. Getting ahead of the caravan had been a hard ask, but the men had a speed advantage and rode their camels hard.

"Are you sure you want to do this? The Hashashin aren't known for their mercy, and should Lady Mansur discovers who we are..."

The lieutenant of the band showed his hesitation as the caravan began to near 50m of their ambush. He had tried to dissuade their leader many times in the days they had spent getting here. He hoped it was not too late to reconsider. But the leader of the Silver Scales was still gnawing on a bone of hatred after the embarrassing scene back at the Sleeping Serpent Inn. "I told you to leave your cowardice back at the inn twice now. Don't make me tell you a third time. No one will know who we are if everyone does their job right. Now go. Signal the others." Replied the vengeful leader. His lieutenant frowned, but obeyed and carefully slid down their side of a dune to a caged bird local to the area. He released the avian creature and watched it fly off into the car crying out chirps of freedom. Several figures stirred under their own sand covered cloths readying their bows. The caravan's route would lead right down the middle of two large sand dunes. A small valley of sorts. They were in perfect position to launch a sneak attack on the wagons from both flanks. Alas, they could not image that their presence would be detected just as they were about to make their move.

Kunla was their target, and as the leading youth entered 40m of the Silver Scales position the men stood from their sandy covers and fired down a rain of arrows upon the unsuspecting rider. Kunla was no fighter and unprepared for battle. He looked up dumbfounded as the sky darkened with projectiles. The ambushers did not stick around to see if their shots made their mark however and each of them turned to flee towards their mounts. They had orders to split up in every direction.

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

As the Hashashin kept their eyes glued onto Kunla, Zubaidah heard something unusual with her cursed ears. ‘We aren’t alone here.’ In one short moment, Kihya and his Hashashin were primed for an ambush, protecting the cargo and caravans. ‘Ahead, missus!’ As soon as they registered their attackers, however, Zubaidah and company were faced with a more immediate threat. ‘Tch, look above!

Ran Wo, protect Kunla! Constantine, protect the caravan with Kihya! Amnet, follow me on Sutekh!

As you wish, milady!’ ‘Of course, Sukhainah!’ ‘Roger that, missus!!

As she cast her own Salamander Coat into a fiery vehicle, Zubaidah watched Ran Wo spread Vajrayana’s Shield onto Kunla whilst Constantine covered the caravans with his own mech so that no stray arrows damaged them. Joining with Amnet on her Sutekh, however, they would race after the Silver Scales with their Foolish Wisdom and Sense of Nature to guide them towards any attacker they could find. In the meantime, Kihya would tend to Kunla and ensure that he did not flee, calming him with their special herbs if need be.

Foolish Wisdom:

Sense of Nature:

Gem of the Salamander:

Ran Wo’s Vajrayana’s Shield:

Amnet’s Construct/Sutekh:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The arrows rained down and cast Kunla in shadow. The team of capable people on Zubaidah's side sprung into action and Ran Wo's fungal armor did the job of protecting Kunla, thick mycelium layers forming around the young nomad to keep the arrows at bay. But a grave miscalculation was made and no accommodations were made to protect the mount that was beneath him. Nayzk was spared the arrows that were blocked by Kunla's body, but many more pierced into its flesh ever where else including a few that struck the horse in the head. The beast was killed almost instantly and collapsed to the desert floor. A horror stricken Kunla was snapped out of his shock by the death of his dear Nayzk.

"N-No! Nayzk!? NAYZK!!!!"

Tears built up at the young man's eyes and soon overflowed. His own leg had been crushed under the mount as it fell over, but he was oblivious to the pain as he wrenched it free dislocating it at the hip and injuring himself when he otherwise would have been free of wounds had he simply waited for others to lift Nayzk off of him. Kunla couldn't spare a thought to care about this however as he hugged the dead horse and tried to whisper into its ear. His words were unintelligible, but his face said it all. Amidst the tears he was forces a smile as he stroked the beast urging it to wake up and get to its feet. But Nayzk did not neigh nor stir. It lay there still and slowly the forced smile faded.

Then Kunla's face twisted into a mix of rage and grief as he screamed a primal howl towards the heavens and black birds gathered around him in excitement. The dark rukh urging the youth further into his hatred and resentment. Only when Kihya arrived at his side and made use of her herbs did Kunla stop his cries and reach some degree of calm. But he was now sitting there numbly staring at Nayzk, unresponsive to any attempts to speak with him.

Zubaidah and the rest were somewhat successful in their hunt, but it was impossible to track down every last bandit in a short period of time. They would have to commit themselves to a lengthy pursuit if they wished to catch them all. But at least a dozen supposed bandits would be run down and killed or captured according Zubaidah's wishes. Further inspection of them would reveal the silver armor beneath their clothes, the unmistakable insignia of the Silver Scales found on a crest that was within one of the men's possession. He had not expected to get caught and disregarded their leader's order to toss them aside when they had begun to chase the caravan. But the leader and his lieutenant had both managed to evade capture along with half their men. This was a problem Zubaidah would have to deal with further upon returning to Tisifun. For now, there was a more pressing issue as their guide was in no condition to lead the way.

How to console Kunla and what to do with the men they had caught up to was now up to Lady Mansur.

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

You have two choices,’ As she caught up with the Silver Scales, Zubaidah drew out two Night Talons and pointed them towards the cowering attackers. ‘You may either come into my custody and be guaranteed a fair trial…’ As she spoke, she poured magoi into her magic gourd and produced four lines of metal chain out of Versatile Deserts, 'Or I will kill you where you stand.

As she hurried back with the remaining prisoners, Zubaidah spotted the despondent Kunla, half-asleep from Hashashin herbs. ‘I must apologise, mi - ’ 'Secure these prisoners in the front caravan.’ ‘I tried to - ’ 'We will speak about this later.’ ‘Yes, milady.’ Downcast from Zubaidah’s tone, Ran Wo tossed the prisoners into the front caravan, tying them together with rope, and gathered a few Hashashin to watch over them with her.

In the meantime, Kihya informed Zubaidah of Nazyk’s death and Kunla’s injury, prompting Amnet to heal his leg with Aid/Seal. With leg back in its socket, Zubaidah crouched down behind Kunla and embraced him, her Sugar and Spice scent calming him down more than Hashashin herbs could. 'Kunla, please try to calm yourself. I know that you are hurting, but Nazyk would not want to see you like this.’ Touching one hand onto Nazyk, Zubaidah used Solomon’s Empathy and searched for his happy memories with Kunla. Once she had found them, she would then hum a small lullaby, what she considered an encoded message to the rukh. As if they knew what she desired, a small note of gathered rukh would flutter around Kunla’s chest, much to the amazement of Amnet as a magician. Pressing her hand against the note and humming once more, she would transfer the sound and warmth of Nazyk with Solomon’s Hymn into Kunla’s body, 'Remember that Nazyk is never gone. You might not see him, but he will always watch over you. He will always be watching over you through the rukh.

With a muted whisper, Zubaidah would ask Kihya to fetch some Violette Precieuse from Ran Wo. 'Now, Kunla, please get some rest.’ Once applied onto her neck, her Sugar and Spice scent would lull Kunla to sleep. Realising they could not proceed onwards until he was awake, she ordered the Hashahin not on guard duty to set up camp. As they did so, she would ask Constantine to help her bury Nazyk beneath the desert sands. Using her Versatile Deserts once more, Zubaidah would create an iron-cast coffin and Constantine would place Nazyk inside with uncharacteristic gentleness.

-----

I was never allowed to bury my first horse.’ As they stared across the golden sands, Constantine dropped down from his mech-frame and joined Zubaidah in front of Nazyk’s coffin. ‘Leon said that doing so would only create unnecessary attachment with him. A horse was just a tool, he said. If we buried horses, we would be recognising that horses were more than tools; that horses were companions.’ Leaning her head on his shoulder, Zubaidah responded in kind, 'I lost mine with the fall of Tisifun. I have no idea whether he was stolen, ran away or was killed. She was a present from my mother. I still miss her.

As if sensing her distress, Sirrush cantered over and neighed quietly, 'I just hope that we haven’t failed Kunla.’ ‘You really care about people to a fault, Sukhainah.' 'Well, shouldn't we all?

-----

Zubaidah chained the prisoners with Versatile Deserts [-40 magoi]
Kihya will interrogate them during the night
charmed Kunla with Sugar and Spice
emphasised her words with Silver Tongue profession
used Solomon’s Empathy on Nazyk
transferred her experience to Kunla via Solomon’s Hymn [-10 magoi]
assimilated Violette Precieuse into Sugar and Spice
lulled Kunla to sleep
created a coffin for Nazyk with Versatile Deserts [-10 magoi]
the Hashashin have been warned to keep Kunla away from the prisoners
engaged in Aspect of Deception

mag: 200/340 | stam: 390/390

Spoiler:

Lingering Will of Yakuroro:

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 08/04/23, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

As long as one still has their life, the heavens always give a sliver of chance at survival. Or so the saying goes. With that in mind, none of the captured mercenaries put up resistance and entered into Zubaidah's custody. But none of them were willing to speak either, all keeping their mouths shut tightly. It would take more than threats of death to shake their will. Though one would attempt to spit on Ran Wo as he moved them to the front of the caravan, they otherwise obediently walked to where they were led and did not complain when tied up. Their presence would strain the supplies the caravan had but thankfully some extra provisions were brought along so there was still no need to panic that they would lack food or water. Especially if these prisoners rations were less than the rest of the group.

The matter of the attackers being brought under confinement was settled, but Kunla's despair was a trickier problem to solve. He shuddered as he was embraced from behind, the softness of a woman and her gentle alluring scents a slight panacea to his stupor. It brought his mind some degree of clarity, but he was still deep in a pit of darkness. "You're right..." croaked the young man as he gaze turned to the captive men being led away. Fire and hatred burned in his gaze as he spat out the words, "He would want to see me skin the bastards that did this to him!" The black rukh intensified with joy as he gave in to their seductive calls for destruction and resentment. Kunla tried to break free from her embrace to go make good on the words but he was too weak from the sedative herbs, even with his leg restored.

Gradually the intent to murder faded from the nomad's mind as Zubaidah showed him fond memories of being just a babe on the back of his father's steed. How he had longed for a companion horse of his own and the joy he felt at his coming of age ceremony when his first horse had been gifted to him. But these memories slowly became reminders. The black rukh stubbornly refused to let go of its grasp on the youth's heart. In their connection, Zubaidah would feel their whispers of madness too as she saw the memory of Kunla's father taking away his first horse because Kunla had lied about deserving credit for a hunt when really he had simply found the beast dead. Memories of how he was further forbidden from the stable for his "lies" about the shooting star. Memories of Nayzk's greatest joy being when the youth had promised him glory and freedom should they ride together.

Tears sprung anew from Kunla's eyes and he weakly tried to struggle some more until Zubaidah's soft reminder of Nayzk being with him reached his ears. Kunla stopped struggling and hung his head. The musk numbed his mind and sapped his strength until finally the combination of sedatives forced his body to sleep even though his spirit was unwilling. Only then did the black rukh seem to slowly disperse in disappointment. But they would surely return as the resentments in his heart had yet to truly be resolved.

When he woke it was still not yet dawn. Kunla crept through the darkness and stole a knife from one of the other caravan workers as he made his way over to the prisoners. But they were well guarded due to Zubaidah's arrangements and so he was caught and detained. The ruckus he kicked up as he fought against the Hashashin who held him down would likely wake the others and bring attention to him.

"Let me go! Curse you all! These men deserve deaths a thousand times worse for what they did to my Nayzk!"

Once Zubaidah arrived on scene, the young man would glare daggers at her. "You, what have you done with Nayzk!?" His struggles against the Hashashin intensified forcing them to press him harder into the sands. "Bring Nayzk back to me and let me take my revenge! I will have blood for blood!"

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Quieten down, will you?’ Yawning into Constantine’ shoulder, having fallen asleep in front of Nazyk’s coffin, Zubaidah’s sensitive ears had woken her as soon as the first shout was heard. ‘Has that Kunla boy managed to escape?’ ‘Well, perhaps your plan was not as brilliant as you thought.' ‘I thought he would have calmed a little, I guess?’ ‘What were we just discussing?' ‘I know, I know. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a child or adult, death is never easy. Not for family, friends or companions…

Especially not friends…

-----

These are my prisoners, Kunla.’ Her voice held no hostile tone, speaking without any pretence towards the captive Kunla. ‘As such, I reserve all rights to their punishment. I will have them stand trial in a Tisifuni court of justice. It will serve as a message to all of Parthevia that the Hashashin will enforce our laws once more.’ As she continued, her words like honey, Zubaidah’s expression softened into a wafer-thin smile, ‘I must apologise, however, for preparing Nazyk’s burial-rites without you, Kunla. After all, if the law guarantees one expense, it is the right to bury one’s own. Of course, we just wanted to dress the body and fit the coffin before you were awake, hence we had prepared the burial-site and items for the rites without you.

Requesting the Hashashin return the stolen knife and re-staff their posts, Zubaidah escorted Kunla to where Nazyk’s coffin was laid. ‘It is your right to place the first layer on top of the coffin, Kunla.’ Giving him a shovel, and showing him where Constantine had piled the red-tinged earth, Zubaidah stepped backwards slowly and respectfully, ‘Do you have any words for the departed Nazyk? I am sure that the rukh will convey your words to him.

-----

charmed Kunla with Sugar and Spice
emphasised her words with Silver Tongue profession
engaged in Aspect of Deception
pretended that she was waiting for Kunla to wake

Sugar and Spice:

Lingering Will of Yakuroro:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Kunla sneered at the claims of justice and the enforcement of laws. Even when Parthevia had been in its prime, his people had roamed the desert according to their own ways and customs. Now that the empire was gone, nothing had changed for his people. They continued to roam the deserts and make camp at key oasis' and followed the migrations of their prey of choice. Not once had they submitted to the laws of nations. His tribe knew only the law of the desert where the only kind of justice that existed was the kind you could take for yourself. But he knew he lacked the might to assert his will and could only swallow this grudge for now. The youth dusted himself off as he was let up from the sandy floor and said nothing in response to Zubaidah's words caring only to follow her to his beloved Nayzk.

When they arrived before the magically made coffin Kunla ignored the shovel handed to him and instead moved forward to open the casket. It was as if he did not believe Nayzk was truly inside. He pushed the lid open and placed his hand upon the beasts already cold head. Kunla shuddered and knelt down bringing his head to Nayzk's whispering in the strange tongue he used to commune with the steed. When Kunla rose again, he seemed somehow slightly older, his face baring a bitter hardness that was not there before. His rukh tinged black, but he did not descend into madness.

"We do not bury our horses alone. Nayzk will need companionship and symbols of glory to earn a suitable place among the dead."

He turned to the large and imposing Constantine and walked up to him without fear. "I want you to cut off my ear and place it with Nayzk so he may know that I am with him and that I am always listening." He then shot a side glance to Zubaidah and continued. "I also want you to adorn him with gold and surround him with incense. Do this, and I will hold to our deal. Take it as an advance for my pay. Otherwise, you may use that "justice" you are so fond of to find the city of gold and I will stay here to accompany Nayzk into the afterlife..." This demand was made with no room for negotiation. Kunla would not budge on this point. Either they agree to mutilate him and add treasures to the coffin or he would refuse to continue traveling with them.

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

I understand that circumstances have proven tragic, but remember that we have a deal. If the price is that your demands for Nazyk’s rites be met, however, then consider it paid.’ As her expression began to pale with unease, she covered her concern for Kunla’s health behind a stony poker-face, gesturing her consent towards Constantine. ‘I must respect your solidarity with this Nazyk, but I would advise taking this brew here beforehand.' He would present Kunla with one of Ran Wo’s poisons, originally meant to numb the limbs of Hashashin prisoners, but reworked as an anaesthetic for surgery, ‘It would mean little to your companion if you died from shock of blood loss, would it not?' As she walked away, however, Zubaidah would discreetly request that Amnet heal Kunla with Aid/Seal once Constantine had executed his will, hoping her magic would staunch any blood flow.

-----

Why did I agree to that… As she walked out of the caravan’s campgrounds, musing to herself, Zubaidah gestured for her Hashashin guards to leave her alone and stay in their posts. You agreed because it was necessary, of course! Even if she respected Kunla's practices, she had never thought she might agree with something so harmful as cutting off his own ear, But necessary for what? For the success of the expedition! For the success of your company! For your own success... Even if she understood those were the stakes for the Ash Company's success, she had never thought she would simply allow something so problematic to happen, But how could I just pretend that I was alright with what Kunla suggested…

How could I be so dishonest?!

What do you mean? A shiver ran down her spine as the voice whispered a familiar mantra, Just put on a smile. Keep it up. Don’t let anyone see past that. She was not even certain that the voice was hers anymore, far colder than hers had ever been, It’s what you’ve always done, right? And yet the voice was completely correct, You’ve never been honest, not even with your friends.

Why change that now? See what happens when you don’t? This happens…

More pain…
More anguish…
More regret…

Do you want all that? No… So why don’t you just go out there… As she walked back into the Hashashin camp, she waved away any concerns for her health from Amnet and Ran Wo with a serene poker-face …and put on a smile.

-----

Constantine will cut off Kunla’s ear
he has offered a pain suppressant from Ran Wo
Amnet will heal over the ear to stop any blood loss
Constantine will produce gold from his Furghoul body
he will then help Kunla decorate Nazyk's coffin
herbs from the Hashashin will be used for incense

Zubaidah has accepted the Aspect of Deception from Yaku’s will

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

A nod from Kunla was the only response he'd give before enduring the ordeal in manly silence. Though he winced at the pain of having his ear removed, no tears were born as a result. The young man had cried out all that he had in him already. He did not resist the treatment as he had no plans to die here alongside Nayzk. No, not yet. That would defeat the purpose of leaving behind his ear. There were things to be done first. Kunla clenched his fists tightly as he silently swore to himself that revenge would be his no matter the cost. To attain the greatness and glory that he had promised to share with Nayzk so that his companion could know that this oath would have been kept had fate not stolen him away too early. Together with the Furghoul, he adorned the body of Nayzk in golden jewelry and used the provided herbs to frame his corpse. Once it was all done, he finally returned the lid to the casket and accepted the previously offered shovel.

He sat there by the grave for an hour giving prayers to the spirits for Nayzk's safe travel through the great desert of beyond. For honors and a noble place in the palace of their ancestors where Nayzk would await Kunla's arrival some day. But not today. Kunla stood and went to find Zubaidah looking grim but also determined. "I have delayed our journey enough. But I wish to proceed on foot for now. I will begin leading the way as soon as everyone is ready." He bowed in respect following these words. His manner towards her was somewhat more distant than before. More formal. Kunla then made to begin trekking towards their goal once again.

After another week on the trail, the destination was at last in sight. It seemed wholly unnatural as a blizzard truly raged on the horizon. Visible as a great cylinder of whirling snow there in the desert with the shadow of the great butte barely visible being more than 100m deep through the frozen winds. As the approached there was a clear demarcation where the the strange weather phenomenon stopped. Its dimensions perfect and unbroken despite changes in elevation in the terrain beneath their feet. Even as they came face to face with the wall of wind and snow they could still feel the hot dry air of the desert as if what was before them were mere illusion. But the moment their scouts were to cross this threshold a biting chill would set upon them well below freezing temperatures. "We should prepare the winter gear. From here on out, it is going to get cold."

Notes:
[/spoiler]

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Are you alright, Sukhainah?' Constantine was first in asking this, but Amnet, Ran Wo and even Kihya all asked the same question. Zubaidah gave them all the same response, ‘Of course I am!’ Not even waiting for their reactions, she carried on and prepared the caravans for action. After all, once Kunla was finished with Nazyk’s rites, the expedition would continue towards their destination. ‘Help me out here, won’t you! I’m not paying you guys for nothing, right?

-----

As he guided them onwards, Zubaidah would not even comment upon Kunla’s behaviour. She knew exactly why and how he had fallen into this formality, just as she had once been with Constantine, but it was better that she not bring up the topic for discussion. Well, why bring it up when it would only make matters worse? Instead, she would silently mourn her failure to keep Kunla from harm, her smile remaining outwardly visible to maintain an environment of positivity. After all, negativity invites negativity, does it not?

It became much easier to maintain once they arrived at the snow barrier, however, as everyone became excited at the prospect of what magic could cause this. Amnet even dropped her constant concern for Zubaidah and hurriedly scribbled notes into her book, a bunch of Hashashin huddled around. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on whose opinion was asked, Constantine was the only person whose concerns were not diverted by the snow barrier,

I can tell that something is off, Sukhainah.' ‘What are you implying, Conny?’ ‘I think that you are still bothered by Kunla’s behaviour, am I correct?' ‘Of course not, don’t worry about it!Are you sure?' ‘I mean it. Don’t worry at all, please.’ ‘If you are sure, then I will not enquire further. But remember that I am always here. That is what friends are for, after all.'

Watching him leave, Zubaidah felt her smile falter slightly. When did I become so easy to read… Shaking her head free of those thoughts, she tempered her smile into something less forced.

No, when did you become so perceptive.

-----

expedition have changed into cold-weather gear
this includes the caravan animals
entire caravan will be taken past the snow barrier
hooded lanterns have been lit
sensory traits will be utilised for potential threats
engaged in Aspect of Fate

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

There were no threats within the biting winds and cutting ice besides the weather itself. Thankfully, the caravan was dressed for the occasion and managed to progress without any serious harm befalling its beasts or members. That said, it was far from comfortable and many would find themselves still shivering despite their layers of warm clothing. The chill seemed to seep down to the bone after only an hour of trudging through the snow covered sands. It was slow going as they had to fight the force of the gale but eventually they would find themselves reaching the base of the butte.

The stone surface was as steep as could be without being perfectly vertical and ice had long since built up over its surface. The climb would be treacherous and impossible without proper equipment. It was wise of Zubaidah to have prepared ice picks and fortunate that there were those among her group capable of flight. Otherwise they would have had no choice other than to turn back lest they planned to mine their way into the heart of the rock formation.

"This is it! We've finally arrived!"

Kunla shouted over the howling wind as he trudged his way up to the cliff face and used an ice pick to hack away at the frozen shell. He frowned when he finished and moved to another spot to repeat the process. Again, dissatisfied he moved to another spot to stark breaking off the ice. "All this ice wasn't here last time!" He complained, swinging the pick until finally he he revealed a piece of the butte that had a crack. Grinning beneath his mask to shield from the sharp winds he called out, "Here! Here is it!" His hand then gestured for others to come look.

If one peered through the crack at just the right angle looking upwards they could see the faintest glow of golden light. This was the "proof" he would offer of the city of gold's existence. "See? It's real!" He exclaimed. Just then, a rumble would cause drifts of snow to fall off the side of the butte accompanied by the sound of roars from deep within the snow. Proof of the monsters showed itself as well. There would be new questions about the validity of Kunla's story now however for those with keen minds.

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

As they trudged through the snow, Zubaidah et al admired this white blanket which had settled upon Parthevian soil. After all, snow was such a rarity that most Hashashin had never seen it before. It was such a wondrous magic that Amnet had simply dropped her quill and just begun to admire the view. But not Zubaidah...

You seem fixed on Kunla, milady.' ‘Hmm, whatever could make you think that?’ ‘Apologies if I have overstepped my bounds!' ‘No, not at all. Don’t apologise, Ran Wo. I’m sorry for snapping at you before, I should’ve taken responsibility. That’s my duty as your head-mentor and leader of the expedition.’ ‘But, mi - ' Zubaidah placed one finger on Ran Wo’s lips and just smiled gently, ‘I said don’t apologise, alright?’ ‘Yes, milady.' ‘You’re indeed right that I’m still puzzling over Kunla. I didn’t want to press him after Nazyk’s death, but something just doesn’t seem right, you know?

Once they had reached the frozen butte, however, Zubaidah found a chance to tease the puzzle further. ‘Was it not this frozen over last time, hmm? Makes it seem like you’ve not seen it up close!' Handing him their climbing equipment, she would briefly touch his hand and try to discern what the rukh whispered about his previous experience here. ‘And please, did you have to wake up the monsters inside? Come on, dear, be more gentle around us ladies!' Making it clear that she meant it as a joke, she would chuckle a little before starting her ascent up the frozen butte behind Kunla and Constantine, divining the former’s intentions with the Gaze of the High Priestess as discreetly as she could. Amnet and Ran Wo would monitor their progress atop Sirrush, aiding them if the ascent became treacherous.

-----

checking Kunla’s memories with Solomon’s Empathy
lowering his guard with Silver Tongue and Sugar and Spice
ascending the butte the old-fashioned way
using the Shinobi Boots’ trick to help
sensory traits from Amnet and Ran Wo will be utilised for potential threats
cast Divining Intentions to check Kunla’s thoughts
they have Sirrush in case of emergency while ascending
Kihya and the Hashashin will remain with the animals for now

Boots of the Shinobi:

Gaze of the High Priestess:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The glancing touch would not grant a deep delve into the memories of the rukh, but enough for Zubaidah to see the scene of a shivering Kunla making his way up to the cliff face. It had indeed not been cased over in ice as his words suggested. The blizzard was still too new at the time having only just begun to churn its frigid winds and batter the butte with its frosty fury. The youth had approached the same crack and peered into it drawn by the golden glow only to be frightened off with the sound of angry roars. Kunla drew his hand away from Zubaidah's touch and the rukh ceased their sharing. "Of course not. If it had been, do you think I could have found the golden city with my bare hands? The people of the dunes don't make a habit of carrying around ice picks, you know." He shot her a sidelong glance as if her question had been foolish, but there was also apprehension in his eyes as he hurried the conversation along to an abrupt conclusion.

"I thought the monsters were why you brought the big guy. Come, let us hurry to the summit."

He then began to clumsily make his way up the frozen face of the butte. It was clear he had never done much ice climbing or very much rock climbing at all. When Zubaidah chose to use her magic tool to probe his thoughts, Kunla was entirely fixated on making his way up without dying. The magical text floating above him reading, "Curse this cold! How much longer do we have to climb? No, don't think that way Kunla. For Nayzk, you must continue. Just a bit more and the tribe will know my glory. Father will honor me once more. I will reclaim everything I've lost. Everything. I must. Curse these winds. Damn in all! I refuse to fall and die here. Not until I've made those bastards pay for Nayzk. Not until my tribe recognizes my greatness! Fuck, I'm never climbing anything other than a tree for the rest of my life. Arms...so tired...No! I must keep going...I must..."  And so it went all the way up to the plateau atop the butte.

Kunla's pick dug into the last bit of icy stone and with great effort and no small amount of grunting did he finally pull himself up over the ledge. Rolling onto flat earth was a huge relief but he continued to scramble himself away from the edge until he was a good 4m away before allowing himself to collapse to the floor panting. His breath formed little clouds of steam on the air as the poor nomad tried to catch his breath. But the air here was far too thin. Even walking a few steps would exhaust those in average shape at this elevation. But as he rolled to his side he caught sight of it. An expression of shock and surprise on his face as much as anyone else who took in the sight. "Here! It's here! The cave!" He exclaimed as he struggled to stand pointing to a large crater at the center of the butte and deeper still was a large opening leading down into the heart of the great stone formation.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Now privy to his thoughts, Zubaidah found herself sympathetic to Kunla’s experience. She had come across the same attitude from her foster-sister Lucia, who had always sought after Silius’ attention. More intelligent than Bran, Elaine or Zubaidah, Lucia had left home with a short farewell and made for Magnostadt academy. It had been years since she had returned to Reim, studying hard at her Kodor exams so that her father or siblings might finally congratulate her. What she did not know was how much they all wanted to do so. If she did not open their letters, however, she would never know.

You might irritate the hell out of me, dear Kunla, but I won’t let you continue down this path. Hearing the rukh whisper quietly around Kunla’s head, Zubaidah cease her flow of magoi into the Gaze of the High Priestess and swore an oath under her breath, I will do everything I can to bring you back from the brink.

After all, everyone is a star… As she glanced towards Kunla, Zubaidah was reminded of her failures with Arthur, Rhajat and her dear Huijin, allowing them to fall into depravity, and she swore this innocent but determined oath, ...and everyone deserves to shine.

-----

joining Kunla at the top of the frozen crater
descending using the Shinobi Boots’ trick
Constantine will follow behind
sensory traits from Amnet and Ran Wo will be utilised for potential threats
they have Sirrush in case of emergency while ascending
Kihya and the Hashashin will remain with the animals for now

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

As they descended into the dark opening it would soon become clear that it was less of a cave and more so a man-made stairwell carved out of the stone. Kunla hesitated at the sight for a half step before laughing in spite of himself. "I almost can't believe this is happening." he whispered to himself as he braved the darkness. Soon they would have no need for torches as deeper into the path two grooves running along the ceiling began to show their purpose. Away from the wind and the cold a glowing moss would began to light their way. The moss had long since overgrown the tracings that had set out for it to be cultivated and then died. The light it provided was dim and lifeless but one could imagine how bright they must have been if only two thin lines had been considered enough to light the stairwell. What remained was fragile however and would crumble if tampered with, creating dark zones that lose all glow.

The way down was not as long as the grueling climb up and soon the smell of the sea oddly began to assault their senses along with a fishy rot. Another roar followed seeming so much louder now that they were this deep inside. It would rock through their bodies and caused Kunla's legs to go numb with fright. We would stop his advance and let others take the lead before continuing again. Eventually they reached a hallway with a large portion of the walls cut out revealing a view of a wide open interior space within the massive rock formation. It could be seen that more overgrown moss was used throughout the interior space. But there was another light source. One that shone a bright golden luster was radiantly lighting up the center of the area. A magic circle.

Controlling The Heavens[Zubaidah] 0c40bbca663a98a49a46f6df70e7efca--vicar-amelia-vicars

Visible in the light was the silhouette of a large beast at the bottom of the large interior structure. It seemed restless and moved about and wherever it went the light of the magic circle would follow. But for now they still seemed not avoid its notice as the hallway with the viewing window was still up near the ceiling of this great hall. The light also revealed that there were many tiered levels of rooms with windows all over this place with an extensive network of grooves where moss had once been cultivated. There would be many rooms and chambers on the way down through the facility but the entire place was void of any other creature. Once living or otherwise. The rooms seemed like they were empty. Less for living and more for storage. Some still had ancient clay vessels filled with long stagnated water or many stacks of wrapped blankets and remnants of what had probably once been dried foods. To call this place a city would be a bit misleading as there were no signs of it having actually been lived in. No furniture, not clothes, and not bodies. Rather than a city it was more accurate to call this place a massive shelter.

It was clear that the only threat here was the creature below. It was evident that something of importance wasn't here, however. Gold. Kunla became more and more distraught as room after room turned up empty. It was clear that the golden light he'd seen was not from a city carved from riches. At the very least nothing of value was on any of they upper levels. There seemed to be a few rooms near the bottom, but an encounter with the beast was inevitable if they wanted to explore them. But at this point Kunla was starting to give up hope that they would find anything other than more empty rooms. Fearful of the beast, he began to despair. "There's...no gold? Why the hell did we even come here then?" His strained voice  sounded out as his throat became tense and his hands balled into trembling fists.

"Hahahaha...None of this matters anymore."

He forced a laugh and then uttered the words as if it killed him to do so. Kunla felt like he had failed his mission and his ambitions. Failed to uphold his contract with the powerful backer he'd found. Failed to fulfill his promise to Nayzk. The young man felt his hand pressed down by the weight of his shame and guilt. Though he had cursed fate before, at least he was still moving forward towards something. Now? Now he was without purpose.

Notes:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum