Opportunity [Job/Solo]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Opportunity [Job/Solo] Empty Opportunity [Job/Solo] 01/07/18, 09:01 am

Aharon

Aharon
D-Tier
D-Tier

Spoiler:

The sound of tearing paper echoed throughout the third Kodor dormitories as Aharon ripped a flyer from a bulletin board. The words "Job Opportunities" were printed in gigantic letters at the top of the page. It contained a listing of all permanent, and temporary positions available at the Academy. Most of the listings required qualifications far beyond what Aharon had to offer, but he was interested regardless. Helping mom out with the bookstore was fine and all, but she never actually paid him for his work and now that he was attending school away from the family home he would need a little pocket money. Nearing the end of the page Aharon gasped. There was a listing that he found quite interesting. It read:

"Library Assistant

Temporary position.
No experience required.
If interested, please report to the front desk in the library of Merlin before the end of school Monday-Friday."

The day was Sunday, and the listing had just been posted. Aharon knew that if he showed up first thing in the morning the next day he could snag that job for himself. After all, he had experience and a genuine love for books. "Who could possibly be a better fit?" He thought out loud as his eyes scanned over the listing once more. This time they caught something he had missed the first few times he read it. In small lettering below the listing there was a simple, but heartbreaking message.

"Position only available to 2nd Kodor and above"

With his hope crushed Aharon crumpled up the flyer, and tossed it across the room into a waiting waste basket. He had thought the listing was a bit too good to be true. The professors and most experienced students were the only ones allowed in the Library of Merlin. There was never any chance of a total novice like himself being allowed to work there.

"Maybe in a year or two" Aharon thought out loud once more. "When I actually know what I am doing."

Word Count: 336/500

2Opportunity [Job/Solo] Empty Re: Opportunity [Job/Solo] 01/07/18, 09:07 am

Aharon

Aharon
D-Tier
D-Tier

Aharon's father had always stressed to him that the only way to truly fail at something was to not try. Everything else was just experience. It was the following day, and the black magician in training was hoping that his father was right. He found himself standing at the front desk holding the slightly less crumpled flyer. He looked at his surroundings in complete awe, mesmerized by the towering stacks that seemed to stretch on forever. Each shelf packed with rare, and expensive volumes. The most comprehensive collection of magical literature anywhere in the world was standing right before him, and the only thing in his way was a old woman in black robes pointing at a sign engraved with the words "No Third Kodors, Thank you.". Aharon was not going to allow such a rude, and dismissive gesture to decide the moment. He firmly placed the flyer down on the desk, and began to plead his case just a bit too loud for a library.

"Look I know what the policy is, but trust me I am exactly what you are looking for ma'am. I-"

The aged librarian put a finger over her lips, and with great contempt let out a "Shhhh!" that drowned out even Aharon's excited tones. He went silent instantly, and listened as she began to speak. 

"How do you know what I am looking for? I need reliability. I need efficiency. I need someone who pays attention to details, and quite frankly I need all of that this very instant. I'll tell you what since you are the only person to respond to my little job listing I will allow you to work for today only. If you do well we will talk about further employment. Does that sound like a deal to you young man?"

Aharon did not miss a beat in getting out his response of "It sure does!". His face lit up with delight, but soon darkened as his eyes followed the librarian's now pointing finger. Across the large front desk from her was another place for someone to sit. There was a sign on the front of the desk at that position that said "Returns". Behind that seat stood the most massive, and chaotic collection of tomes, scrolls, maps, and charts Aharon had ever seen.

"That is your task for today. Please have all of yesterday's returns processed, and reshelved by the end of the day." The Librarian commanded with a wicked grin on her face before returning to her work.

word count: 756/500

3Opportunity [Job/Solo] Empty Re: Opportunity [Job/Solo] 01/07/18, 09:12 am

Aharon

Aharon
D-Tier
D-Tier

Aharon wasted no time in getting straight to work. The library's card catalog system made it quite easy for him to find all of the right places for the returned materials. The sheer number of returns however was impressive. The number of books the library lent out in an hour was more business than his mother's shop had in an entire week. The heights one had to climb to re-shelve certain titles was quite staggering as well, and for once Aharon was glad that he was not bothered by climbing. The worst part of this job for Aharon however was resisting the urge to read the things he was supposed to be clearing away. He pushed through however with the hope that if this while thing went well he would have the opportunity to skim over whatever he wanted going forward.

By the end of the day Aharon had only managed to clear about a quarter of the pile that he had been given to handle, and when he noticed that he hung his head in shame. He snapped out of this self pity at once however as a tiny wrinkled hand slammed right in between his shoulder blades. He spun around to see who had struck him only to see the little old librarian that set him to work.

"Why so glum kid? I never expected you to do half this well without magic." The librarian quipped.

"I could have used magic?" Aharon groaned, and then instantly felt the stupidity of what he had just said wash over him. His cheeks turned a violent shade of red.

"You're not very bright are you boy? Well it's no matter, you don't exactly need brains for this job."

"You mean, I've got the job?" Aharon inquired.

"Yes but please, bring your staff when you come in tomorrow. You'll need it if you are ever going to finish this." The librarian's voice sounded desperate. It was clear to Aharon that she was going out on a limb for him, and that he could not screw this chance up.

"You bet, and thank you so much! You won't regret it!" Aharon said gleefully before bolting out the doors in a hurry. He skipped, and danced with joy all the way back to his dorm.

"Yeah, sure" The librarian muttered before cackling at Aharon's exit. "Well he might be useless, but at least he has spirit."

Word Count: 1159/500

End

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum