2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Magic Type Limitations Empty Magic Type Limitations 25/02/14, 10:39 pm

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

Greetings,

I'm interested in joining the site but one thing stops me in my tracks and that is how limited magician's are in terms of the number of magics they can use.

At their peak, a magician should have at least SOME mastery over all the magic types. While I recognize this forum is AU and not canon here is a reference to canon stating it is ideal for Magicians to strive for an equal mastery over all types of ruhk.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/magi/v12/c138/13.html

But right now the maximum type of magics one can learn is just 3! For an Omega level magician to not have all magic types is a bit silly to me, but I think I understand the reasoning behind this. The systems here are very gamified and I imagine the purpose behind this limitation is for power balance among the different specializations.

I realize that as things are now, a magician with all elements would be extremely OP because they would be able to combine all of them and have ungodly versatility.

My suggestion around that is to limit the rank of magic one can perform with each new additional magic type. As the magician has possessed that type for a shorter amount of time, their mastery over it can be dulled.

So for example, A magician gains a new magic each rank with the exception of Omega where they gain 3 new magics. But with each new magic, the max rank spells they can create drops. So while an Omega rank Magician gains 3 types of magic at once, he/she can never cast a spell of that magic higher than C rank and they can only learn one of each. To make a combined magic spell using these restricted type would also require it stay within the rank limitation.

Here is a small example of what the limitations might look like:

1st Magic Type: No limitations on your first magic type.
2nd Magic Type: You may never possess more than 3 spells equal to your current rank. Additional spells of this type must be of lower rank.
3rd Magic Type: You may never possess more than 2 spells equal to your current rank. Additional spells of this type must be of lower rank.
4th Magic Type: You may never possess more than 1 spell equal to your current rank. Additional spells of this type must be of lower rank.
5th Magic Type: You may only possess spells of two ranks below your current rank.
6th Magic Type: You may only possess spells of three ranks below your current rank.
7th Magic Type: You may only possess spells of three ranks below your current rank.
8th Magic Type: You may only possess spells of three ranks below your current rank.

Please feel free to tear this apart or reshape it into something more to your liking. If not, then I humbly ask if it is possible to expand magician magic types through advanced staffs and other magic tools? I just don't want to see "The worlds greatest non-magi magician" be some some apprentice who can only work with 3 types of ruhk. So long as the additional types are weakened proportionately they shouldn't increase the power of magician's much higher than it currently is. You could take these restrictions ever further and increase Magoi costs on lower rank spells.

Oh and before I forget! If the above suggestion were adopted then combination magic would need to be adjusted so an element limited to C/B/A/etc. rank could never be combined with a magician's higher ranked element to make a higher ranked combination spell. Combo spells utilizing restricted elements should be limted to the lowest mastered element being used. This would bring a balance to combination magic that actually did not exist before.

Anyways, in the end this is all just a suggestion. I hope it's taken well.

2Magic Type Limitations Empty Re: Magic Type Limitations 25/02/14, 10:49 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

We'll be releasing tombs and spell books eventually in the shop. These can allow you to learn different magic types outside of your limitations but with a limited amount of spells, kind of like your suggestion.

So a non-Magi CAN learn a lot of magic types, but it's just a bit harder to do so, and we'll only release a limited amount of spell books and such.

So ya, is that alright? Otherwise if a lot of other people agree with you I might alter the current system.

3Magic Type Limitations Empty Re: Magic Type Limitations 25/02/14, 10:51 pm

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

That satisfies me enough that I'm content. Thank you!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum