Amount Rules in the Systems

+4
Lagi
Vodarara
Azix Niraj
Adrastos Thanatos
8 posters

Which would you prefer?

Amount Rules in the Systems Votepi1033%Amount Rules in the Systems Votepi10 33% [ 2 ]
Amount Rules in the Systems Votepi1033%Amount Rules in the Systems Votepi10 33% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 01:50 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Hello everyone~ I'm placing up this poll on behalf of the staff right now. We've recently been discussing the amount rules in the ability guideline section.

An show of how the amount rules currently are can be found at the this link, but are also copies here for convenience.

Amount rules:

This means of splitting up abilities is considered unwieldy and cumbersome, which is why staff was discussing changes to be made with it.

The changes would look as follows:

Changes to the Amount rules:

As you can see above, there is no need for guesswork on how much damage/effect an ability does. No need for complicated range algorithms; you choose which amount you want, only being limited by the tier maximum, and the damage/effect each of the abilities do is evenly distributed amongst them.

Allowance of Amount:
Another rule that will be amended with this change would be the allowance of being able to 'stop' your ability mid-ability (while still costing the full Magoi/Stamina amount). Since before we (Ariella and myself, and perhaps even Azix) were in staff, it has been a steadfast rule that if you have an amount in an ability you are forced to use every single one in that amount, up to the minimum range.

The implementation of these changes will rescind that rule, as no matter what each individual attack will stack perfectly in the tier system.

Mind you, the primary argument against changing that rule would be that it wouldn't make sense for a 16-series Omega Tier attack to take the same amount of energy from somebody if they only use 1 attack, which is why there is a third option in the poll above.

While we're interested in making these changes we also understand that the community would want a say in it. Which way you all would prefer, and if you like one way over the other. Please place your vote here and make a post with a short reasoning as to why you want it one way or another. Votes without reasoning will be invalid.

2Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 01:51 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

As an aside, abilities of every tier can still hit multiple opponents, but would instead have to be AOE and based on scale to do so.

3Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 02:33 pm

Adrastos Thanatos

Adrastos Thanatos
A-Tier
A-Tier

I can't think of many pros and cons to really back up my answer to keep it the old way, but here is what I have:

PROS

• The division of how much damage is taken is nice and is easier to think about and imply into combat.

CONS

• The ability shrinking is a drawback to abilities such as my Aqua Cyclonas I (10 amount w/ old) and Aqua Cyclonas II (15 amount w/ old), which can surround an enemy due to them being freely controlled. With this new rule, I wouldn't be able to do that as well as I have been able to.
  • Allowance of Amount is more of a negative because even though we would be able to stop an ability, all magoi/stamina used would still count against us as stated above.

Last edited by Adrastos Thanatos on 29/03/15, 03:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 02:52 pm

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Question: Does allowance of amount mean you would be able to choose an atier that can have a maximum of four attacks? So if it hits once it deals atier but if it hits four then it does ctier?

5Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 03:25 pm

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

For magic a lower count can somewhat make sense, but for example my arrows some are explosives spraying out needles or teeth for example these are small and plentiful etc.

It needs to be variable logically because magic you can focus it and move it etc but anything explosive that throws out a cloud of say teeth needs to be far more plentiful or people will just say they land no where near them.

6Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 03:29 pm

Lagi

Lagi
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

This kind of started with me *sorry :(* , i wanted the versatility of a selected sum of my lighting omega tier move of firing a specific amount in one direction and a specific sum in another. topping your ability in mid way should reflect the amount of attacks that you fired off for pricing. With this you could potentially control the price, but then again, you pay up front.

I would like to think that the benefit of multitasking instead of simply splitting the attack in half is the fact that it there was a aliment on it, but you lowered the sum, it would do the intended status tier of the ability in exchange for being weaker in power, as usual

7Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 04:43 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

I will not be inputting my own beliefs in this thread, as I'm more interested in how the community feels about this, however I will be answering the questions brought up.

Azix's Allowance of Amount question:
What this means is that if a player has an A-Tier ability that is split in 8, but only chooses to use 1 of those 8, then it only deals D-Tier damage. It will still cost the full 40 magoi amount, but you can stop the attack there to deal with any interruptions or switch up your strategy to deal with an opponent's unexpected strategy.

The difference between this and the prior rules is that in the prior (current) rules it is stated that if you have an ability that does 6-10 attacks, as soon as you do your 1st attack you are committed to doing at least 5 more attacks before you can 'stop' your ability.

@Vodarara: there is a simple misunderstanding in how abilities work that needs to be cleared up. Explosives, including shrapnel, do not go by amount rules. They go by AOE rules. Please refer to this post for the comment in regards to AOE.

8Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 21/03/15, 05:15 pm

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Well if its something that drops teeth its not aoe its numbered.

9Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 24/03/15, 02:24 am

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

We would love to hear feedback from any others, as this is something that affects everyone on the forum. Please let us know if there are any suggestions about this change that you would like made known, or if there are any reserves about making changes at all. Do not be afraid to voice your concerns so that we may take them into account.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask via pm to myself, or post in the thread.

By the way, feel free to send me your feedback via pm and make a vote in the poll here, if you would like your vote to remain anonymous.

10Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 28/03/15, 10:08 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

One last chance for everyone to add their choice here! Tomorrow I will be working on writing up the official change!

11Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 02:24 pm

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

As ive said before that id like to create a shower which isn't an aoe, now of course without homing the can say they aren't hit by falling teeth but if they had two come towards then and only slash one plane they may still catch a tooth in the shoulder.

Though id rather the best for the site than myself.

12Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 02:40 pm

Bahir

Bahir
β-Tier
β-Tier

The Bahir's two cents go as such!

I believe this makes a lot more sense, damage wise. As the site's systems are set up now for dealing damage, the new way you've proposed lines up with it. The consistency is very appealing to me, as I've tried to center my numbered abilities the same way.

If the reduced number is truly a concern, I propose a compromise.

Compromise numbers:

The numbers may not appease you all as much, but logically I see them as a bit more acceptable. A D-rank (novice) mage wouldn't have as much skill to create a monstrous number of their craft. At least, they shouldn't be able to (in my opinion, of course). This way, it still sort of incorporates the "doubling" idea for damage with the each individual object will do D-tier damage. Of course this doesn't include if you want to make the number smaller to coincide with the overall rank damage. (2 D-Tier for an overall C-Tier damage, or 2 B-Tier for an overall A-tier damage).

As far as the allowance part goes... I don't think this would be utilized too much. No one, at least I think, would want to spend 40 magoi for an A-tier'd spell and only use up to C-tier damage. If with this, you could turn it into a scale down type deal? Like, if they want to "cut off" the amount of their spell to a certain damage specified, they could use only the amount of Magoi that they want to deal damage for? I know I didn't word that very well...

13Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 02:45 pm

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

the idea of the allowance is if you choose, at the last minute, to cut your attack short. So, you would still be BEGINNING the ability, thinking you were going to deal A tier damage and then be like "oh crap, this would kill them, lets maybe only hit them 4 times instead of 8, so i just hurt them really bad". By allowing you to "scale down" the magoi, it would add more complications to the system, when we are trying to SIMPLIFY the system

14Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 02:51 pm

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

I also notice it would affect stalagmite as well as few other planned abilities for tools i had, for example my tool abilities atm aren't true offensive by more allow for strategies, limiting numbers even further makes everything harder to make use of strategicly.

Stalagmite was key for a trapping tactic due to the number of spire's i could raise as environmental blocks of line of sight rather than hitting things, i an see amount is more suited for direct attack magic rather than something designed to block things more.

15Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 03:55 pm

Merrze

Merrze
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

I like the idea of being to stop and ability and say decrease ho much magoi tt costs but I don't think we should change the amount of attacks you can have in such tier. Changing the amount to such a lower degree is honesty ridiculous in my opinion. Say how like -tier can only have single attack abilities that doesn't make sense considering that some on of a low level would be able to to make up a multiple part attack. I can understand why you're doing it, I'd prefer the old amount numbers with the allowance of amount but since that is not an option I vote no.

16Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 04:22 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

I love the feedback guys. It is greatly appreciated. I will be closing this poll later tonight, in about 4-5 hours. Those who have not yet voted are still free to comment and vote, and those who have already voted but changed their mind are welcome to change their vote.

17Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 04:23 pm

Adrastos Thanatos

Adrastos Thanatos
A-Tier
A-Tier

PROS

• Makes Sense - The attack count makes sense in regards to Rank. As Bahir said, "A D-rank (novice) mage wouldn't have as much skill to create a monstrous number of their craft. At least, they shouldn't be able to (in my opinion, of course)." The same could also be said about those in other Specializations, but as of now, I'm not sure how it would be.
  • Count - It makes trying to figure out how much damage is done when a only a portion of an attack hits much easier. The fact that this makes calculating damage  easier to think about and imply into combat is nice.
  • "Equal" - Some people have been saying that it makes Intelligence less OP since they won't be able to produce a huge amount count spell that can be controlled and directed at a target. Basically, magicians have what others consider "homing" attacks since they can control where their spell will go. If they had a spell that consisted of 20 spheres, they could control those sphere to "home in" on a target and hit them. The new amounts nullify that drastically.

CONS

• Small Amounts - The ability shrinking is a drawback to abilities such as my Aqua Cyclonas I (10 amount w/ old) and Aqua Cyclonas II (15 amount w/ old), which can surround an enemy due to them being freely controlled. With this new rule, I wouldn't be able to do that. Of course, this could be used as a pro for some people as it could prove magicians are OP.
  • Allowance of Amount - This is more of a negative because even though we would be able to stop an ability, all magoi/stamina used would still count against us as stated above.
  • Rewriting Abilities - If we change to the new amounts, everyone would have to edit their spells/abilities to fit this new system which can be quite the hassle.

I'm wondering if NPC abilities will be changed as well, if they have an amount count for their abilities. That might only add more work for Staff.

As much as I hate the huge decrease in amounts, I think I can live without my desired effect for Aqua Cyclonas. But I wish there was a medium.

18Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 29/03/15, 05:07 pm

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

I shall be abstaining my vote.

19Amount Rules in the Systems Empty Re: Amount Rules in the Systems 30/03/15, 09:56 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The votes were in. Voda removed his vote against changing the systems. Merrze is against. Adrastos is in Favor. Lagi is in Favor.

Those in Favor have won out.

As a side note, NPCs will not need their abilities changes since they are not required to follow ability guidelines (within reason).

There will be a new event up shortly that will reward players with Huang for each ability that needs to be changed to the new guidelines.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum