You are not connected. Please login or register

Tororkun's Professions [Jobs]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Tororkun's Professions [Jobs] Empty Tororkun's Professions [Jobs] 25/01/15, 11:43 pm

Tororkun

Tororkun
C-Tier
C-Tier

Building a Carrelet:

Tororkun walked down the path toward the coast, with the low tide he could see the grey sand littered with shells and other objects usually covered by the higher tides. As tororkun made his way across the beach he saw an old man sitting on a pile of long wooden poles "Morning." the old man said as Tororkun approached "Morning." Tororkun replied, "Alright then here,as you can see are the materials and I assume I can leave the rest to you." the man said, Tororkun nodded "Yea I should be able to do the rest." "Well then i'll take my leave." the old man said as he stood and walked back down the shore towards the main docks. Tororkun looked over the materials, before taking the job he had looked at some carrelets to see how they were built he was sure he could build one but he didn't understand what kept the supports from sinking into the sand. He then took a deep breath and picked up a shovel, he spent half the day digging holes to place the poles into after digging two rows of ten each about ten feet deep, at ten feet he hit a rock layer which explained how the structure didn't sink but the must add something to the supports if there isn't a rock layer this close to the surface. Tororkun looked at the sky gave a sigh, half his day was already gone and he had not made any progress on the actual building, sighing Tororkun began to drag each pole and place them in the holes he dug. After another few hours he got all the poles up, "Well i'd say you've done pretty good considering the holes weren't dug." Tororkun looked behind him to see the old man had returned "Yea I think that was the most time consuming part." Tororkun replied. The old man nodded and walked over and handed Tororkun a small wrapped meal "Well I wont keep you, I was just stopping by to drop this off." he said, Tororkun nodded and said "Thank you." as the old man left again, Tororkun looked at the poles they still needed to be cut level with each other and the actual building needed to be built he sighed and sat on a rock before eating the meal.

After eating he placed the plate on the rock and stood up, he walked over to the pile of materials and picked up a brace and a bit for putting some holes into the top on each pole going vertically through each one, Tororkun walked around to each pole with a ladder and put a hole about four inches wide on each one. The next part would be hard as well Tororkum had to take up a one and a half meter long pole and pound it through the holes in two parallel poles, at first it was a bit tricky but eventually Tororkun got the hang of it. The current state of progress looked like some very tall very big monkey bars, the next step was adding the side supports to help prevent sway from the current, the supporting beams weren't nearly as thick as the base poles however they were longer and need to be driven into the ground and attached in a staggering manner on reverse sides to the base poles. After Tororkun had attached the side supports he began laying the top walkway across the top of the monkey bar like poles. He placed one sheet down at a time nailing them into the bars beneath them, once he reached the end where there were five base poles in the ground in a x shape, he place three boards longways before placing three more over them running sideways. Now it was evening but Tororkun continued on, he brought up the lumber and built a simple square frame with a slightly sloped roof and he built the walls and cut a frame for a door but by that time it was to late to continue. Tororkun went home for the day and slept.

In the morning Tororkun walked back to the coast to see the tide had risen, not to much, but enough to make a visible difference. Thankfully Tororkun had finished the bottom supports yesterday. Tororkun walked across the walkway slightly bouncing up and down every few steps and the pathway seemed to be pretty rigid. When he got the the small building at the end he preformed the same test inside and around the building they too were quiet sturdy, so Tororkun went on with his work and began adding a door and cutting out some windows. After he finished he took out a small mallet a chisel and a roll of specially coated cotton to drive into the seams around the door frame and around the floor board, once he finished with that he packed up and walked back out across the walkway. "Looks good." Tororkun looked up to see the old man at the other end of the walkway, "I think its pretty good." Tororkun replied the man nodded and walked out to the small building and began inspecting it and pushing on the walls and joints before nodding and saying "Its well built, Good job.". Tororkun smiled and thanked the man before leaving to go eat.

WC:809

Tororkun

Tororkun
C-Tier
C-Tier

Building a Fishing Boat:

Down at the docks Tororkun discussed the job with his contractor over details such as the boats length and width to wether or not it would have a cab on the deck. After their talk Tororkun nodded "I can handle this." He told the man "Alright then I'll lead it to you." The old man replied before leaving, Tororkun turned to the others and informed them of the boats specs before dividing them up to separate tasks. There were six of them, at first they built the ribs onto the keel before flipping it, then they were all assigned different jobs, Tororkun and two others where working on the hull as the other three cut the planks for it. The man had wanted a chined hull so when looking at the boats ribs from straight on it looked like a somewhat rounded pentagon, the planks around the chine were thinner than the others in width. As they applied each plank they drilled a hole through the plank and into the rib, then they pounded a wooden peg covered in a very basic adhesive into the hole to seal it. When the day was over they had fully covered one side of the ships hull, Tororkun walked home and thought of how long it would take to build the ship. They spent the next day cutting and measuring and applying planks to the other side, they finished while it was still light outside surprisingly, so they began planning the wood to smooth it out it took the rest of the day and all of the next to smooth out the hull, their next task would be caulking the planks, they all had a spool of specially coated cotton fibers, a mallet and a chisel with a wide flat head they drove the fibers in between the planks and worked until dusk again they went home and again they came back the next morning. After they finished the caulking it was late but they all build a nice jig to flip the boat onto before going home. The next day Tororkun looked over the ship "Well so far it looks good." He said, he had the three that cut planks yesterday cut supports for the inside of the ship so they could add a deck, as the three cut the vertical supports Tororkun and the other two build a lip around the inside of the hull where the deck would be added. They took special care on building a wooden frame in a box shape as a storage area, they added the deck from the stern to the bow of the ship they walked in the storage box the was built into the deck, it now needed a cover over the storage box built on it as well as the mast. It took a few more days but they completed the deck and storage box near the ships stern, they now had to build the mast which was an odd request, the man wanted to try a new sail that was triangular, the mast was built normally but atop it they added a diagonal yard that the triangular sail was attached too the ends had ropes attached to them, the ropes where tied to the left side of the bow of the ship and near the right front side of the cab. Tororkun and the others thought the sail was oddly built and didn't understand it entirely, regardless they added the rudder and railing around the boats side. Now it was pretty much done but they needy to test sail it and given the sailing rig they had to go get the old man who contracted them "Haha." the old man laughed when they asked "I guess it is a rather strange idea, but it isn't too difficult." He said as he followed them to the ship, they had already moved it to the dock where they they had already plugged the two leaks in the hull. The old man stepped onto the ship and had them unfurl the sails and tie them onto their places and it caught wide and pushed the ship across the water. Tororkun looked at the sail well it seemed to work normally, the old man turned the rudder and brought the ship around in a circle and back towards the dock. "Well it is pretty good." He said "Well thank you." Tororkun said, the others where looking at the sail or questioning the man on where he got the idea for the sail. The old man explained his rather simple logic behind the odd sail "Well a sail needs to catch wind to move the ship, we all know that, so if that is the case then I thought why should they all be squares? Well they don't, have any of you heard about the new ships that have been seen around Reim they don't have square rigs, of course theirs are considerably more different then this which is basically only a square rig placed on an angle and tied down." He said "All in all I just wanted something different, I've spent my life on the sea and I just wanted my own ship to stand out." He added. After they had pulled the ship back into the docks, which was when they saw that the angle of the sail let it sail into the wind, Tororkun asked the old man if he wouldn't mind him using this kind of sail. "Of course not, go ahead and build them everywhere just remember who showed it to you." The old man replied. After they pulled into the docks the old man said their job was done and thanked them for their work, Tororkun walked home where he began drawing sketches of the sail, it really was a good design and only a slight modification led to such a vastly different sail than a square rig. This got Tororkun thinking of different hull designs he could try in the future.

WC:1004

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum