Increase Maximum Magoi?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Increase Maximum Magoi? Empty Increase Maximum Magoi? 16/01/15, 06:39 pm

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

So, in my fights with higher tiered characters and with Asisiak (dear god what a fight) i noticed that i at least tend to run out of magoi pretty quickly in fights. In fact, if at A tier, i use 1 C and 1 B tier ability in the same turn, that's 50 magoi already used. But let's be honest, you're probably using A tier abilities by now. So lets say a B and an A tier. that's 70 magoi, almost 1/3 of your maximum. That means that your fight will last maybe 3 turns if you keep that up. not very exciting at all. To keep things more interesting, i was thinking that maybe we could increase our maximum Magoi levels so that by Omega we have 500 instead of 350 (if human), an increase of only 150, but it makes a 2 turn difference in the length of fights, making them more exciting overall.

But anyways, that's my 2 cents. What do you guys think about increasing maximum Magoi levels?

2Increase Maximum Magoi? Empty Re: Increase Maximum Magoi? 16/01/15, 07:06 pm

Liber Aurelius

Liber Aurelius
β-Tier
β-Tier

If this were a bleach rp where you could use your magoi(reiatsu) to decrease received damage then I would be all over more of it and longer fights. But in the Magi-Verse there is no battle aura to reduce recieved damage. Yes, we can use abilities to defend against abilities. But if your character actually gets hit, they can take some very serious damage. If your leg is broken with a single B-tier ability then your mobility is pretty shot for the rest of the fight. That being said, being able to cast several A-tier attacks before running out of magoi means you have the firepower to kill someone several times over. Sustained attacks are also able to prolong your A-tier damage output by extending it's length at half the cost.

It seems to me like there is already more than enough magoi/stamina to go around. I would just advise people to be more conservative with abilities in battle. If you are using them in every turn then perhaps change your tactics. Spending a turn without using an ability to set up a better opportunity for using one when it will count more or being more careful with where you use your stronger abilities can go a long way towards ensuring you have enough fuel to get through a fight.

Personally, I like that we have to be concerned about overextending ourselves in battle. There are potions in the shop if it's a huge problem for your play style.

3Increase Maximum Magoi? Empty Re: Increase Maximum Magoi? 16/01/15, 07:19 pm

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

hmm. you make good points. So, counter-offer, Magicians have the Borg, so why not give Melee character's Armor? Have it able to block up to a certain amount of damage like the borg, then we have "battle aura", so we can have longer fights? Now the obvious nay-say to this is that magicians don't have defensive abilities, but they do have far and away better ways to stop attacks than by simply blocking them.

Also, i do like having to watch my Magoi levels, and i wouldn't get rid of it either because it makes things more tense.

4Increase Maximum Magoi? Empty Re: Increase Maximum Magoi? 16/01/15, 07:58 pm

Liber Aurelius

Liber Aurelius
β-Tier
β-Tier

You already know my position on Armor. I'm absolutely 100% against on this forum. The system simply isn't built for it, nor is the aesthetic of the world(Explained in edit note). I know I didn't really explain my stance on the matter back when I was admin, but there are some really big effects armor would have on the system and the IC rp of the forum.

Here are a few things that I am aware of:

Armor Systems - One of the key components of armor is to determine how it will function. It's purpose is obviously to mitigate incoming damage but how will it execute this? Will you have pieces of a set like in an rpg? Or will it be like a single item which does a blanket protection up to a certain value over your whole body? Can damage still land when it hits an area that is not covered by the armor? Depending on the type of armor system you want to use, it's pros and cons vary. Finding the perfect one that fits this rp's current battle system and determining how effective armor should be is a huge discussion on its own that requires lots of test time.

Rebalancing - To compensate for armor, the offensive and defensive powers of all other specializations would need to be re-evaluated and adjusted. Damage output may also need to be balanced once more. Even the economy might need to be rebalanced so players could afford this new feature.

Complexity - Depending on the type of armor system chosen, this may or may not be a huge issue. But no matter what you will be adding an extra layer of complexity on top of battle scenarios. The degree of complexity ranges across a very broad scale since it could be as simple as a single item or as deep as half a dozen individual armor pieces.

Meta Trend - Assuming Armor carries no terrible downsides, it will essentially become the obvious choice of progression. If you want to be competitive then you would NEED to have armor. This sucks for characters who don't want to wear armor and almost makes it so it isn't even a choice. Everyone and their mother getting armor also has intrinsic problems in and of itself as it would be one more thing for players to buy, upkeep/upgrade, etc.

I believe the impact it would have on the forum is just too large. The above is just the objective things I see from my training in game design. Personally I have other arguments about it but they basically can be summed up into the following sentence. It's not really required to have a fun battle or a lengthy fight so I don't feel a need for armor. <- That's just my personal opinion though.

In the interest of finding the compromise you seek however, might I ask what the heart of your desired change is? Do you simply seek longer battles? Or are you craving more damage mitigation capabilities? I'd assume the former since this discussion began with expanding magoi pools. But I'd like to confirm before moving forward.

Edit: In regards to my comment about the aesthetic of the world, I'm not saying there is no armor in Magi. There certainly is! But most of the main characters don't have or need armor and for the most part it's never really something a character relies on in battle. This is because at the level of Djinn and high grade magic, armor is kind of useless in the world. It's really just for show and thats how I feel it should be on the forum as well. I feel it fits the aesthetic of the world for most people to not wear armor and that those who do so wear it for character reasons. Not for competitive ones.

5Increase Maximum Magoi? Empty Re: Increase Maximum Magoi? 22/01/15, 07:28 pm

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Altair Loros wrote:hmm.  you make good points.  So, counter-offer, Magicians have the Borg, so why not give Melee character's Armor?  Have it able to block up to a certain amount of damage like the borg, then we have "battle aura", so we can have longer fights?  Now the obvious nay-say to this is that magicians don't have defensive abilities, but they do have far and away better ways to stop attacks than by simply blocking them.

Also, i do like having to watch my Magoi levels, and i wouldn't get rid of it either because it makes things more tense.

I did ask about armour in the past, ive come up with a way around things now but thats my tactics, the issue would be that armour of course could have massive disadvantages say to a magnetic mage etc.

Though then you'd have to effect movement speed etc etc.

6Increase Maximum Magoi? Empty Re: Increase Maximum Magoi? 22/01/15, 08:28 pm

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Regarding the issue of increasing maximum magoi, at this time, we will not be changing magoi levels. The purpose of a limited magoi pool is to encourage people to have to think more carefully about their combat, not simply blow everything up. By forcing you to use magoi management, it leads to a more balanced combat system that requires creativity and thought. We appreciate all the input on this matter. Regarding the armor suggestion, at this time, we will not be instituting an armor system for balance reasons and lack of interest.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum