Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Job Name: Hammers Falling
Job Rank: B-Tier
Job Location: Reim
Job Rewards: 200 xp 15,000 huang
Job Prerequisites: N/A
Job Overview: With the successful opening of Opportunity Hall and word spreading of how hard the workers were performing, Azix received an offer from a few of the guilds. A prospector located a new area to be mined in the Western Front, but it is heavily contested territory. Bandits, renegade slavers, and a den of monsters will have to be removed in order to receive their assistance.

Den:
Spoiler:

Renegade Slavers
Spoiler:

Bandits
Spoiler:

Life had been extremely hectic for Azix as of late, the Workforce program took up much of his time during the day, leaving the nights for side ventures. Since the opening of Opportunity Hall, he felt as if things were finally building momentum. Timiteo and Oroloham spoke highly of the workers, most of them were learning quickly and were dedicated to their work. While that news was a relief, more people had started to apply. Without enough open spots for training due to the lack of partners, the waiting list piled up.

Thankfully, Azix had finally gained the attention of a few guilds and had been invited to a meeting. Leaders of the mining, blacksmithing, metalworking and transportation guilds had been in attendance. It was mentioned that Oroloham and Artemis had put in a good word for Azix through their connections. An area rich in resources that had yet to be tapped had been found recently, but the area was full of bandits and creatures that would make it difficult to harvest. Cleaning out the pests was an expensive endeavour which is where Azix came in. The guilds were interested in Azix's workforce program and offered to not only invest into it, but train the workers. Those who learned quick and displayed the proficiency neccessary would also be looked at for hiring.

Of course Azix had expected the deal, but as he walked back to Opportunity Hall, he had to wonder if he had just gotten in over his head. How bad would it have to be that the guilds were hesitant to hire men-in-arms to remove the problem. Maybe it was just cheaper to have Azix handle it for no cost. He shrugged off the potentials as he walked into the workforce headquarters and focused on what he would need to prepare.

A woman in her mid-thirties sat behind the reception desk and greeted him as he came in. "Welcome back, Azix. How did the meeting go?"

Azix gave her a smile that told her it went well, "The guilds said they were interested in helping us out. I just have to help them with a problem first, of course. Always with the politics."

[365/1500]

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

Altair woke up that morning in a foul mood. There wasn't even a reason in particular, he just felt like hitting something. He didn't want to go to the Coliseum. His last match there had almost ended in his own death, and he still wasn't fully healed. One of his still cracked ribs poked him, causing pain to shoot through his abdomen. "Ahhh..." he sighed as he sat down in a chair outside the inn. He looked around, noting how differently people were acting now that the King had implemented his new laws. The people seemed... Happier. More full of life. It really warmed his heart, and abated his sour mood.

Later in the day, Altair was walking to the market when he noticed a building that he hadn't seen before. Or, at least he'd never seen it quite like this. There was a sign across the front that said, "Opportunity Hall". "Oh, this must be where the workforce program is based." Altair mused. It certainly looked like the place. People going in and out with tools, talking about their next projects, etc. Altair thought he should check it out, and maybe see if they needed any help today. He realized he didn't exactly look the part, what with his sword on his belt and his staff across his back, but then places like this took any kind of help they could get right? As he entered the building, he walked up to the receptionist but noticed she was talking with another man. He got her attention with a wave, but remained quiet so that she could finish her conversation. When she was done he asked, "Hello, my name is Altair. I was wondering if there was anything i could help with today? Some jobs to be done?"

~301/1500~

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Garret, having been in town, decided to meet up with a man he had not sat down and spoken to in some time. Azix Niraj. From his reports, Garret knew that Azix was running a social reform program that would introduce willing workers to prospective employers and trainers. Apprenticeships, if you will. He looked up to the sky, taking in the clear air and breathing a deep breath. There was much to discuss with the Marquis, just to catch up on how he had been doing and some things that Garret had encountered.

Things like his recent encounter with Takahashi Sato. Garret's stomach churned at the thought... Though... it was ironic that the two were as interconnected as they were. Their fates were tied together. It was a thought that caused Garret to chuckle under his breath.

The Blue Magician walked to the building that was known as 'Opportunity Hall' and opened the doors, entering the place. He noted that a familiar face was there, which surprised him slightly, but didn't pay too much attention to the man at first; he wanted to meet Azix, and he would let them know that first before approaching the man who had introduced himself as Altair so long ago.

Garret saw Azix standing in the Reception area as well, and immediately approached the Magician. He waited for all parties to finish speaking before adding in his own words. "Azix, it has been a while. I'm glad I was able to catch up to you here, I hear you've been a busy man since the bills passed in the Council." Garret turned to Altair. "And I'm surprised to see you here as well, Altair. It is surely a strange twist that we meet again. It looks like the world really is a small place." Garret smiled and held out his hand for an arm clasp, much the same as the one they had performed before leaving each other last. Garret was wearing standard Reim clothing, not sticking out overly much from the standard citizen.

OOC:

Word Count: 342/1500

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Azix heard someone walk in and turned around to see Altair walk in the door. He remembered the man from their Coliseum fight, but it seemed that the man didn't recognize him. Altair asked the receptionist about work and Azix was about to reply when the door opened again. 'Who is it this time?'

Azix's jaw dropped when he saw Garret stepping through the doorway. He quickly recovered and greeted his friend with a smile. He was shocked to see that Garret knew Altair as well and wondered if Garret had participated in the Coliseum too. Azix tried to stare past Garret's close to look for signs of the six-pack he remembered the Spymaster having. Garret's hair was longer than Azix remembered, it had been a while since they had last seen each other.

"Yes, the bills have passed. My hands have definitely been full, but the work feels good at the end of the day. I only hope my actions help the people around here." Azix replied to Garret before turning to Altair. "I hope your wounds are healed. To answer your question, I do have something we can do. Here, let's talk on the way."

He motioned for both of the men to follow him and led them outside. Grabbing the magic carpet that was fashioned as a belt over his actual, leather belt, Azix fed magoi into it. The magic carpet came to life and hovered a foot off the ground. Sitting on one corner, Azix beckoned the others to sit down and waited for them to get on before taking it up into the air. "I hope you don't mind tagging along." Azix said to Garret.

"Since I've started the workforce program, I find myself doing favors for the owners of various industries to get their support. This morning I met with a few of the Guild leaders who offered their support if I helped with a problem. They found a new place to mine but there are some renegade slavers and bandits that claim part of the land. That's where you guys come in, you get to help me deal with the pests." He nodded to the men with a smile.

Azix pointed to Altair, "I apologize for not introducing myself correctly, sooner. My name is Azix Niraj and I know you are skilled with a blade." He then pointed to Garret, "And you are not without your talents. Between the three of us, this should be easy."

[764/1500]

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

It looked like the man across from the receptionist was about to speak to Altair, when another figure walked through the door. Altair was surprised to see none other than Garret enter the building. He spoke briefly to the other man, apparently called Azix, before turning to Altair and offering his arm. It certainly had been some time since they had seen each other, and Altair had learned from him how to better control his Djinn Equip. But the air was tense. Altair had lied to Garret about the origin of his weapon, and also about how he activated it and the true source of it's strange magic. Altair could only hope that he hadn't discovered his lies. Altair grasped his arm in the traditional way of his people, and gave Garret a pat on the shoulder. "It certainly has been a while hasn't it? It's nice to see you again."

Azix spoke next, first to Garret, and then to Altair. Curiously, he asked if Altair's wounds had healed yet. "Oh, he must have been present for the match against Xenos." Altair thought. "Yes, i'm healing up nicely. A little Life magic here and there helps as well." Azix then proceeded to say that there was work that Altair and Garret could help with, and with the pair of them in tow, walked out of the building as he talked. From his belt he produced an item that Altair had thought previously to be one of a kind. A Magic Carpet. He beckoned for them to get on, before continuing. He spoke to them about a problem with slavers and bandits having gathered near a new mining site. It got Altair's attention almost instantly. "Whatever you need, i'll do it." Azix then turned to formally intorduce himself to Altair. Altair responded in kind. "I agree. This shouldn't take long at all. When do we start?" Altair said with a smile.

~625/1500~

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Garret raised an eyebrow at the Magician, who told him that he had been doing various things for guild leaders. His thoughts recalled Jahan, a leader of a guild by the name of 'Tyhpon'. He briefly wondered what the man was doing, before focusing back on the matter at hand. Azix had spoken of the reforms that had been passed, which Garret had heard about in passing, and wondered how well those were running... Well, considering the legwork he mentioned he was being forced to do, Garret could only imagine that it was a hard uphill track that the man was traveling. Though he did not see it, there was an older man watching them from afar, seemingly minding his own business. The man's silhouette did not seem ominous at all, and nothing noteworthy occurred around him, keeping the attention off of his direction. He watched as the group came out.

When they were outside, Azix released his Magical Carpet. Altair stared at it, and Garret knew that the man recognized the item in question. It wasn't really surprising; magical carpets, while not common, were not unheard of. Perhaps he had seen one elsewhere? The information wasn't that important, however, and it was only of a brief moment of interest for Garret. Stepping onto the magic carpet with the other two, Garret listened to the discussion. Thinking back on their last mission together, Garret thoughtfully chuckled. When he had a moment to interject his own words, he explained. "It's been a while since I've assisted you, Azix. I think the last time was when you were shutting down the heavier slaver groups in the area when it was outlawed. Your productivity is praiseworthy."

He listened to the conversation between Altair and Azix as well, while they traveled to their destination. Garret had obtained knowledge after having left Altair that day on the old battlefield. Knowledge of what Altair's weapon truly was, and what implications it had that he was carrying it. Garret held no animosity towards the man for lying to him, however, as Garret understood people had secrets to held. While that was the case, though, it did mean that this man had something to hide. And it meant that he was a dangerous individual to be watched. Both of these things were flags that told Garret to be careful, but that was not something he allowed to show on his features. If the topic wasn't broached by Azix, Garret would bring it up. "So, what have you been doing since we last met, Altair?"

OOC:

Word Count: (342+428) 770/1500

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

When Garret mentioned the last job he and Azix had worked on, the orange magician smiled. It was one of a series of jobs in dealing with the slavers and the smile faded when he thought about some of them he had disposed of. The Twisted Sisters had been the most memorable for the level of depravity they put their slaves through in training. "Thanks, I wish I had known of some of those slavers sooner. I might have been able to save a few more the horrors that I saw."

While the conversation went on, they flew fifty meters above the ground as they sped westerly direction. The trip would take a couple hours to approach the area that the Guild-leaders had marked on a map for Azix. After confirming landmarks, Azix proceeded to do an aerial sweep to survey the landscape for signs of their targets. The men would be able to make two separate camp, one to the north and one to south. At the encampment to the north men were loading cages into a caravan which sported human slaves.

To the west, Azix spotted a few large animals near a cave which was marked on the map as where the extraction site would be. The carpet descended towards a point between the three target locations and landed. Stepping off, Azix turned to Garret and Altair. "Ok, looks like we'll have to walk. Since there are three of us, I think it would be best to split up. Since I have some experience handling wild beasts, I'll take the ones to the west. You guys decide between the slavers to the north and the bandits to the south."

Azix looked between them to make sure that was alright, "Meet back here when you are done. Good luck." After shaking off the magic carpet, Azix wrapped it around his belt once again. He tipped his head to the men and began walking towards the den of monsters. His Staff of Refraction in hand while he kept an eye out for the beast and any sudden movement.

After walking for some time, Azix found the ground angled down into a valley where two Wolves were fighting over a fresh carcass. He had heard their snarls before he had spotted them and his steps became lighter. The wolves were by a large bolder fifteen meters away from him. Behind them, Azix saw the opening of the cave thirty meters away.

He continued, sneaking forward, and by the time he was eight meters away, the wolves had already noted his presence. They looked between themselves and Azix before looking at their meal, reluctant to move lest the other steal it. When Azix raised his staff to cast a spell, they resolved to attack the magician, bursting forward on all four-legs.

Black Rukh fluttered overhead as a Large Force Wall formed five meters above the wolves. The wall slammed down onto them before they could reach Azix. He felt the rush of air as the wall sped downward, three feet in front of him. The force of the spell crushed both beasts, fracturing their spines and they let out whimpering cries of pain.

Azix stood his ground, prepared to sling another spell until he heard an angry howl echo from the cave beyond. The large Alpha Wolf emerged from the opening to discover Azix next to his injured pack. A fang-filled snarl curled on the beast's muzzle while it charged at Azix. The hulking four-meter tall alpha wolf was an intimidating sight, covering the space between them in seconds.

Not waiting for the beast to gain any ground, Azix filled those seconds by summoning his Shadow Left and Right hands on either side of the wolf's approach. The alpha wolf had been faster than Azix had expected however and had time to leave his Borg Thunderstruck, shattering the magoi shield into oblivion before the hands slammed together with it between them. The force of the strikes combined would normally deal enough damage to break a man's bones, but the wolf jerked forward to shred Azix's right arm with his teeth.

Gritting his teeth, Azix tilted his foot up so his big toe was aimed at the beast's gut and extended it into a Dagger Nail. The sharp, elongated toenail pierced through the wolf's stomach and he stomped his foot flat to cut through the tissues, spilling its guts, before he retracted it. The alpha wolf let go of Azix's arm and collapsed to the ground.

The wolf's fangs had left his arm bloody so he bandaged it with a torn strip of his cloak, tying it tight to apply pressure. Azix realized he was holding his breath and exhaled, the beast had been more determined than he had expected. Heading into the cave, he summoned a Flicker of light to push back the dark. The air was rank with the faint traces of urine and feces, he noticed, scrunching his nose.

Hearing faint yips in the distance, he followed the passage further and stumbled across a litter of Wolf Cubs. Smelling the strange magician and the trace of blood on him, the smallest cub let out a heart-wrenching Yowl. Azix's legs froze in sorrow, guilt filling him for killing their family. The rest of the litter began Nipping at his heels.

Resolving to see that they were cared for, Azix decided not to kill them. Summoning five Force Cubes in the air above them, Azix shot each cub. The small cubes hit them with enough force to knock them out. With the small cub's mournful yowl finished, Azix let out a deep breath to steel his heart once again. He fashioned his magic carpet into that of a sack and filled it with the cubs.

Slinging the sack over his shoulder, Azix walked back to the meeting spot to wait for Garret and Altair.

[1500+/1500]

[200/300 magoi]

Spoiler:

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

While on the Carpet, Azix gave them the rundown of what needed to be done.  After he finished, there were still hours left to wait until they arrived at their location.  At first it was silent, but then Garret broke it by asking Altair what he had been doing since they last met.  Truth be told, Altair hadn't done much of importance since their last meeting.  So, at least he wouldn't have to lie.  "I've been trying my hand at the Coliseum as of late.  Many of the opponents were tough, but none more so than a strange new-comer named Xenos.  Now that was a fight to remember.  The man gave me a lot of trouble with his invisibility trick, forcing me to take a hit in order to 'sniff him out'.  It was such a good fight, i tried to make him surrender so i wouldn't have to try to kill him.  Which, in retrospect, is probably why i lost that fight.  Altair was quiet for a moment, before continuing.  "You know, i probably did him a disservice by doing that.  It could be considered disrespectful not to give your opponent your all.  Maybe someday, when i get a little stronger, i'll ask him for a rematch."

When they arrived, they did a few laps around the area on the carpet before landing.  According to Azix, there were three camps of enemies.  To the west were the beasts, tigers it seemed.  To the north were a group of slave traders, and their quarry.  And to the east there were a group of bandits.  Azix volunteered to take on the beasts as he had experience dealing with such creatures before, and left Altair and Garret to choose a camp for themselves.  "I'll take on the slavers.  This wouldn't be the first time I've dealt with their kind before.  And it won't be the last."  With that, Altair headed north, leaving the eastern bandit camp to Garret.

Altair drew his sword as he approached the camp.  Without a doubt, he would save the people here.  Even if it meant killing everyone else.  He hid behind a rock to survey the camp before he headed inside.  nine men.  five wearing squids, three wearing sponges.  The last one carried a bow.  That must be their leader.  Two cages, each with three people inside.  A total of six people to be saved.  This wouldn't be hard at all.

Altair skirted around the outskirts of the camp, trying to get as close to the leader as possible.  Finally, he found himself not 15 meters from him, hidden safely in the shadow of a large stone boulder.  As softly as he could, Altair whispered the command to activate his Djinn Equip.  "Oh great spirit of insight and resolve, I command thee and thy household.  Dwell in my body, and transform me into a great liberator.  Reave, Caim!"  With that final word, he shouted, and sprang from his hiding place, using a combination of Slay the Jackals and Caimian Selura.  With Slay the Jackals, he made four large cuts right through the body of the leader, killing him instantly.  And with a commanding shout, "Caimian Selura!" he turned the spray of blood into razor edged points that flew out in a cone, killing three squids and a sponge.  The remaining men, though clearly startled, rallied quickly, and soon Altair was surrounded.

The four men stood there, blades in hand, waiting for Altair to make a move.  Altiar calculated his chances of taking them all down.  "One hundred percent sounds about right."  He thought to himself.  One of the men spoke, saying, "Come on men, he's a man with one sword!  He can't defend against all of us!"  The men shouted their consent, and charged in, all using Wiki-Stab.  Altair murmured, "Caimian Noken." and extended his hand towards one of the sponges.  With a flash, it was revealed that the sponge had neatly impaled himself on the end of a blade of pure razor magic.  Altair reacted quickly then, using both the first and second Wasp Dances to defend himself from the remainder of the attacks.  After that, it simply took two quick slashes to take down the squids, and a Slay the Bear for the sponge.

With his enemies lying dead around him, Altair released his Djinn Equip.  He then went over to the cages and cut off the locks, releasing the slaves.  A small boy was among them.  "Are we going to be ok now mom?" he asked the woman next to him.  "Yes sweetheart.  We are.  An Angel has come to save us."  Altair couldn't help but think to himself, "Wow, that has got to be the corniest thank you i've ever heard."

Altair led the former slaves down the mountain, and back to the meeting place they had set up before.  To his surprise, he found Azix waiting there for him already.  "Hey, you sure finished quickly.  I hope you have room on that carpet for a few more.  We have some very scared individuals here who could use a ride back to safety."  Altair then waited there with Azix for Garret to return, while keeping the people happy with stories.

Abilities:

Magoi/Stamina: 105/250

~1507/1500~

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Garret listened to Altair's story, nodding as he explained his fight. When he spoke of Xenos, Garret raised an eyebrow. While he had reports coming in from the field on coliseum opponents that made their appearance, Garret had not been reading into them as of late; there was quite a bit on his plate. Azix fought in the coliseum? He wondered why the man would reveal his abilities in such an open place. Not giving it too much thought, Garret listened to the details expounded upon and agreed. "Invisibility is a difficult opponent to deal with. It sounds like you came up with a handy way of doing so, though." The man had showed a good sense for combat, having thought of a creative way of finding his opponent.

Shortly thereafter, the group dismounted from the carpet and Azix began speaking. Garret listened to the run-down on how Azix had wanted them to execute their objectives, and noted the different choices available. Azix had chosen the beasts, and Altair had chosen the slavers. This meant that, in the end, Garret was to face off against the bandit camp to the south. Each man explained how their tasks that they had chosen were best suited to them, and a small feeling of amusement hid itself within Garret. He had never considered what types of opponents he was particularly compatible with, and had always indiscriminately approached every opponent with the same intent. Well, every opponent that was not also a citizen.

The intent? To kill.

The amusement that the man felt just moments before suddenly turned melancholic. The thought of his approach to opponents gave the man some pause. Garret steeled himself for his part of the job, recalling the moonlit night where he had met Takahashi Sato in a forest clearing as he began making his way towards the Bandit camp. The man had revealed that Garret had been raised to be a tool for a rebellion. A standard of Sato's ideals, and a force that could pave the 'correct' path towards the future. His foster father had caused a strong internal discord with the conversation they held in that clearing, one that Garret had been desperately trying to bury beneath a heavy workload. Had he grown weak? Was his lenience on those citizens who attacked him, and those citizens who had assaulted the Palace, a sign of his weakness?

Garret gritted his teeth in frustration, recalling how he had disparaged Zhi so strongly for his leniency, seeing it as a weakness. It was a contributing factor to Garret's belief that the man needed to be slain. A soft heart that was too forgiving would end up being stabbed in the back. A weakness he should not have... Could not afford to have. He was not weak. He would not allow that...

Garret's eyes glazed over as he killed his inner emotions. It had been a long time since his training, but the man found it easy to fall back into that blank state of being. Though this seemed deeper. More consuming. Even when he began working in Reim, he had plenty of emotions that he held on to; a desire to perform, and shine as a useful member of the Reim Operations. A sense of satisfaction, and a need for some form of recognition. The absence of Takahashi Sato had given birth to a slackening in the discipline that was instilled upon him. Yet much like how productivity returns to a high point while being watched by a foreman, Garret's return to the strict life of an operative under the Spymaster of Kou had been triggered by his meeting with Takahashi Sato. Much like those assassins who had attempted to take his life and, when they failed, took their own lives due to their dedication.

The camp was not too far ahead, now, just thirty meters away. Garret pulled out his wand and pointed it towards the camp; there seemed to be a man approaching the Magician, yet Garret simply looked upon them as another death he would have to take care of in a more personal manner. A ball of ice formed, expanding away from the Magician at a rate of 25m/s. Once it finished growing in size, Garret sent for the ice to the center of the camp. His spell, Ice Explosion, caused a destructive explosion that laid waste to the camp, slaying 9 Bishops, and their leader Dunham.

The man who had been approaching him had dove forward when Garret's spell had gone off, and was on the ground as Garret closed the rest of the distance through his own walking towards the man. Stopping a few meters away from the whimpering man, Garret spoke in a cold voice. "River Styx is a style with only 50 years of history... Yet even still, you will behold an art that has sent many to the underworld." It was a fear tactic, meant to cause uncertainty and hesitance in his opponent. Garret would leverage every advantage he could. The man, uncertain of Garret's words, looked up to find the Magician no longer held his wand. Instead, his right arm was covered in Magoi; a technique reserved for those fighters who held a great deal of skill. Running forward, with a seemingly bored expression on his face, the Bishop fell backward in fear.

Garret bent downwards, grabbing the bandit by his collar and pulling him up from off the ground. His right hand shot forward through the use of the technique Ikken Hissatsu: River Styx Style: Deep Sea Harpoon, sliding through the man's chest cavity and reaching the heart. A simple twist of the hand severed the arteries from the man's body, and Garret's hand came out in a single fluid motion. Dropping the heart onto the body of the man, Garret swung his arm through the air in order to remove some of the blood. He made a cursory investigation over the site to ensure his opponents were dead before returning to the meeting point that the three had agreed to beforehand.

As Garret began to walk back to the meeting point, away from the scene of destruction, his thoughts began to catch back up to him. He briefly wondered if he was walking down the path that Takahashi Sato attempted to pave for him, or if he was making the decisions he made with his own will. By the time he arrived at the meeting place, Garret would seem somewhat preoccupied with his thoughts. A simple report was given. "All is clear on the bandit-front." Garret's right hand covered with bloodstains just past his wrist. Though he had gotten most off of it, there would still be some remaining.

OOC:

Word Count: (1132+770) 1902/1500
Magoi/Stamina: 220/300

Abilities Used:

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Altair was the first to arrive, followed by a group of slaves who stared at the man with hope-filled eyes. Azix greeted Altair jovially, thankful to see the man had not only handled the slavers but freed the slaves. Unfortunately, Azix didn't have enough room to fit everybody on the carpet. "I could fit one or two, but I have these wolf cubs to bring back as well." Azix opened the magic carpet sack to display the dozing cubs.

His eyes sparkled as he remembered something, "Near the slaver camp there was a caravan, can you drive a horse? That should fit them all."

When Garret approached, Azix flashed him a grin that faded slightly at the look on his face. The blood on Garret's right hand did not go unnoticed and neither did the detached tone. Azix flashed Garret a concerned look momentarily before pouring magoi into the Magic Carpet. The carpet flattened out and raised off the ground without any wolf cubs spilling out. Azix adjusted them on the carpet so there was room for both men to sit without disturbing them before taking his seat.

He waited for Garret to get on and turned to Altair with a serious look on his face. He produced a pouch of gold as payment for his services. "Take good care of yourself Altair. If we cross paths again, I may accept that rematch. I would rather we take arms against a common foe than aim weapons at each other, but that was a good fight and I would like to see you give it your all." With a wave, Azix lifted the carpet into the air, accelerating slowly to ease into its top speed.

Once they had traveled for several minutes and they were high in the sky, Azix looked at Garret. He wasn't sure what was on his friend's mind, but he knew what was on his own mind. Azix decided to vent some frustration to try to get Garret to open up by turning his mind outward instead of inward. He took a deep breath and chuckled, "You remember the night of Li Cao, what I said? 'This will be a night to remember'. Like a pebble in a pond, everything that has happened since seems like a ripple from that moment."

He paused for a moment, "It still amazes me that we managed to get sucked up into the Contractor's machinations and overthrew the Emperor. Sometimes...I still feel their blood on my hands." Azix realized that he had never told Garret about the Contractor. "Do you remember Zafar, the red-haired assassin that night with Li Cao? When he came to he told me that he was hired by the Contractor. He mentioned that while he was specifically hired to take out Li Cao, he would receive a bonus if I died. That seemed to suggest I was the true target, but Zafar didn't appreciate being played so we set up a trap for the Contractor.

Zafar set up a meeting at the Coliseum and when he arrived, we attacked him. We thought we did at least. It had been an illusion, the likes of which I have never seen, and he revealed himself from a distance. He gave us a job to remove Barsatos Axarai, a man who had gained a bunch of disillusioned followers and stole their magoi. Ironically, Barsatos' compound was the building we were transported to from the prison. The entire thing is a magical circle, I knew it was important, but I didn't know how important at the time."

A cold look settled on Azix's face, "As a magician fond of illusions, trust me when I say the Contractor is a puppeteer. That's why, even though I feel guilty for turning on Zhi, I know I had to. At first I though Zhi shared my views, but after I saw his disillusionment and I saw how badly he was being played by the Contractor, I knew Reim would have suffered." His face softened and he gave a sheepish look to Garret. "I never did thank you for backing me up in the throne room and I don't know how it affected you, but I thought you should know why I did it."

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

Unfortunately, Azix said that there wouldn't be enough room on the carpet for the slaves.  But after a moment of thinking, he came up with the idea to use the caravan that the slavers had used.  Altair snapped his finger, "That's perfect.  I'll take them to Reim in the caravan then.  It will be two days back using that, but we should be fine.  I'll see you back in Reim then?"  Altair nodded his thanks as Azix threw him his payment.  And in a peculiar turn of events, Azix revealed himself to be Xenos.  Altair stood there with a sly smile on his face while he watched Azix and Garret depart.  "Clever little sneak..."

Altair gathered the men and women into the cart, and gave the child the special job of "lookout".  The boy loved the idea of helping his hero, and took his new position very seriously.  Every so often, Altair would call back to him and ask what he saw.  "All Clear!" he would call back.  He even tried to stay up as late as he could to keep helping, but the little guy just couldn't keep his eyes open, and soon fell asleep with the others.

During the night, Altair thought to himself about what he would do now that he had freed them.  He would have to invent new identities for them all if they were going to stay in Reim, but he could always send them to Balbadd where slavery was also illegal.  But the road was treacherous.  Unlike normal citizens, they had prices on their heads.  It was likely that anyone who knew the slavers that took them also knew how much they paid for them.  In that case, it might only be a matter of time until they were recaptured by rival traders.  It was a terrible life to live.  Always on the run.  Why wasn't there anywhere that put the lives of these people first?  Sure, Reim and Balbadd made it illegal to formally own slaves, but the underground slave trade was still alive and well in both kingdoms.  Nobody put enough importance on taking down these groups.  And Altair knew that despite his best efforts, he could never save them all.

It was a late in the night, when the moon was full and high when Altair realized what he had to do.  If he really wanted to save them, he had to give them a place to run to.  Altair thought back.  He was the rightful heir to the Loros family name.  As such, he held a particular level of power, even among the other tribes.  All he would have to do is reclaim that title from the man who stole it.  That might be difficult, considering the traditions that had to be kept.  But Altair thought he was capable of doing it.  The problem with his plan was that the Loros tribe was only so big.  It might have been large at one point, but it was, like most of the other tribes, beginning to recede in number.  No.  It would take something that hadn't been seen in generations for his plan to work.  He would have to unify the tribes.  That would be the hard part.  Each tribe had its own traditions and rights to uphold, and like the kings of the world, could never agree to let another lead them.  But the "unclaimed" area between Magnostadt, Balbadd, and Zou was the largest territory on the planet.  It was bigger than any other country, and boasted an equal number of people per capita as Reim or Heliohapt.  If he could unite the tribes, he could create a global superpower.  No one country would be able to stop them from waging a war on Slavery.  All slaves would be welcome there, and their home countries could not lay a claim on them once they arrived.  Then would come the active freeing of the slaves.  The Sovereign would live on as a task force that would free slaves from their captors and guide them to the country safely.

These were all great dreams, but without the proper instruction, Altair would never be able to pull it off.  Luckily, Altair had a plan for that as well.  He would travel to Imuchakk, a land of blue haired giants that rules with a governmental system similar to what Altair wanted.  He would speak and gain instruction from Asisiak, the leader of the Imuchakk, on how to properly govern such a country.  With that kind of knowledge under his belt, he couldn't fail.  And for the sake of the people, he couldn't afford to fail.

The party arrived in Reim a day later.  Altair bid the people farewell, and offered them to show up at the Opportunity Center for help.  As he watched them leave, he memorized their faces.  He would never forget these people.  And he was willing to bet his life to say that he would keep them safe, now, and forever.

[Exit]

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

When Azix began to speak of Li Cao, Garret cast Controlled Sound. The sounds that came from their mouths would, after reaching half a meter away from them, change from their normal sounds to the sound of silence. This would make it impossible to eavesdrop on the two while they spoke of sensitive matters.

Garret, having just came back from sending himself in a self-hypnosis of sorts, was slow on the uptake of considering what Azix was saying. Yet consider those words he did. He recalled that night in the forest. The resolve he had to take responsibility for the actions they were about to commit. The fact that there had happened to be an assassin that was actually out to kill Li Cao had only been a coincidental factor that had given them a slightly less damning light. The man deserved his death, though, as a corrupt man who was intentionally crippling their country's advances through the Reim systems.

Azix mentioned that the overthrowing of the King of Reim was a series of machinations by someone named 'The Contractor'. Garret frowned. With no face to attach to the name, he had no idea who Azix was talking of. Though Azix was quite familiar with this 'Contractor', the man had never introduced himself to the group, nor had he ever provided any sort of credentials as to his affiliation to the Emperor. Due to the context clues, however, Garret shortly realized that Azix was referring to the man who had led them through the city. The powerful Magician that could keep even the Chief of the Imuchakk, Asisiak, at bay.

Another name was uttered by Azix; Zafar. At first, Garret was unsure of who that was as well. This time Garret was much quicker, realizing that Azix's compassion of leaving the man alive had given him a means of tracking this other man known as 'The Contractor'. Azix continue to explain the situation, and Garret listened quietly. The Magician continued to name this man off, and Garret wondered just how involved this puppet-master was. His explanation of feeling guilt for betraying Zhi, and his reasoning for doing so as well. Garret was surprised; he did not believe, at the time, that Azix truly understood what it was that was at stake there. That to allow Lagi the throne, they would have to forcibly take it from Zhi.

Garret's own decision had been based on a couple of factors, but he never would have taken the first step without Azix's suggestion. The first of which was the man's blatant softness. Garret did not believe it was safe for a king to be soft; it would allow various individuals to get close to him, those that could not be trusted, and would cause the Empire to unravel beneath him as he was betrayed by supposed ally, after supposed ally. Not to mention the level of corruptness that a government with such a soft leader would cause. The second of which was Zhi's insistence of ruling Reim. True, they had Lagi ruling the country on behalf of Kou, yet the way Zhi had uttered those words had grated on Garret. It seemed to him that the bastard Prince was intending on creating his own country, separate from Kou. If not in actuality, at the very least in spirit. Garret could not support the act of segregating their people; the world should be under one ruler, one country, one power and one people. He had seen the effects of segregation within Prison, as those of differences gathered and waged miniature wars for reputation and power, even while being imprisoned.

Even so, Garret would normally not have dared to have backed such an order when a blood relative of the Emperor was involved. The only thing that gave Garret the ease of mind was a piece of information he had coincidentally overheard earlier. The magician that was leading them explained that the Emperor had disliked Zhi from the beginning, believing that the bastard Prince was a stain on his honor and an embarrassment to the Royal Family. It was only with the magician's words that Zhi was even allowed to attempt an assault on the Palace. This meant that the Emperor had very little emotional investment in the man, and wouldn't mind overly much if he died; it would be an erasure on the stain of his Family.

Yet the exchange of royal blood for royal blood was not something that would be looked favorably upon. Not at that point, at the very least. There was one last thing that was necessary in order to complete the conditions that would clear the gates of what would have kept Garret from backing such a plan. That condition was the age-old tradition of the Kou nation. For an outsider to join, they would be required to face a warrior from the Kou nation in battle and emerge victorious. While normally it was not a battle to the death, the battlefield itself was a place where two warriors came at each other with not only the resolve to kill but also the resolve to be killed.

Though he had not expected King Lagi to cut the man down before he even had a chance to be given a weapon. It was a cruel and unfair duel; one that had shocked Garret at the time, yet it was a shock that he had stoically took the brunt of full force. He had done what he believed was necessary to end the farce on that day.

All of these factors had combined to create that single moment in time and space. An intersection of coincidences, traditions, beliefs, feelings and people had resulted in the fate of the man who went by the name of 'Zhi' to be cut short.

Garret rested his arm on his knee, which was at a perpendicular angle to the carpet. Resting his chin on that arm, he stared out to their front. Slowly, he began to explain his own feelings on the matter to Azix. His fears, his beliefs and his hopes for a unified people free of fear and segregation. A country without borders; a united people who worked hard for the future of tomorrow.

The heaviest concern Garret had would be asked next. "I wonder... Are we not just as weak as Zhi? Are we too forgiving? The three of us shared a vision, of sorts. Did we misunderstand him..? No... I suppose the real question I am trying to ask..." Garret turned his head to Azix, albeit slowly. "That day. Did we do the right thing?"

OOC:

Magoi/Stamina: 200/300

Abilities Used:

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Azix sat quietly as he listened to Garret express his feelings. When he was finished, Azix cracked a smile, "That is what I am working towards obtaining. Hopefully, if the education reform and workforce initiative are successful, then we can prove it is possible." He stopped when Garret brought forth a series of questions that were greatly concerning to the blue magician. Azix was surprised to see the normally decisive Spymaster so conflicted with the past.

Giving his questions serious thought, Azix lapsed into silence to form his thoughts. Azix had questioned the similarities to Zhi a few times since that night and had doubted the worth of his cause because of it. With self-reflection, coupled with the wisdom that Yakuroro had shared, Azix came to the conclusion that of course they were similar. Both Zhi and Azix had aspired to create the world a better place, an ideal most men shared. The difference was that Zhi was willing to force his ideals on others, where Azix was offering and giving hope.

Azix flipped up the eye-patch that covered his left eye, and turned an intense gaze towards Garret. "Weak? What is your definition of weak? We survived that night and created not only change, but hope for those held down by the greed of others. With our power, we did that. Yes, fate helped us along, but the fact that fate's hand was at play, proves to me that we were stronger than Zhi. Did we do the right thing? I wonder that sometimes too, but imagine what life would be like for the people of Reim if Zhi were on that throne. He would have been a puppet following the whispers of the Contractor. It would have been wrong if Zhi had sat on the throne. Lagi, well, Lagi is definitely not a puppet. We have learned that, he can be frustrating and his actions questionable, but for the most part, he tries to be a good King. So, yes, I believe we did the right thing."

Azix gave his friend a soft smile, "I don't know about you, but I've been working my butt off to continue doing the right thing. Not right for Kou, not right for just myself, but right for the people and the future of Reim itself. Before that night, how much of what we accomplished was good for the people? That fateful night was like a rebirth for me, Garret. No longer do I curse my fate, instead I look to the future sure of myself and the path that I have traveled. I walk forward knowing I follow the right path and you should too. If faith is what you are lacking, then have faith in me." Azix's purple eyes sparkled and he lifted his head to look at the emerging stars in the evening sky.

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Garret listened to Azix's words. He reiterated his stance, and how he believed that what they had done was correct. The Marquis explained to Garret that while they held their similarities, there was a stark difference in their execution of those things.

As if opening a floodgate, Garret realized something then and there. The ends did not justify the means. How long has he been walking such a thorny path? Garret shook his head. As a trained operative of the Kou nation, Garret had been instilled with a sense of absolute efficiency. An opponent needed to be stopped from speaking? Assassination. Quick and effective. Yet what Azix said felt... Right. As if he spoke words that resonated with the spymaster's true ideals. It was only with this man's words that he was able to realize that if he followed Azix, he would be going down the right path. He looked away from Azix, staring back at the path ahead.

"I will believe in the you that believes in me, and rise to meet those expectations." The words spoken almost seemed aimed more to himself than they were at Azix. The sense of unease began to leave the man, and he looked back to Azix. "I have information that is extremely sensitive. To tell you the truth, I have spoken of it to no one."

Garret began to explain his trip to the old hermit in the woods. Beginning with the queer sights and smells he had experienced, including the terrifying visage of an Oni, Garret explained how he was charged to defeat a man who was blessed by Fate, and was a beloved champion of the people. "You see, I had heard that this man was capable of not only delving into any information, but also being all-knowing. A rumor that seemed to turn out to be true. He knew everything about me, and the circumstances that lead me to him." Garret paused, again, shaking his head.

"I had need of information, as I had run into a man with the use of what he claimed to be a powerful relic he had found lying on the ground." Garret sighed. While there wasn't anything that was directly damning with the lie Altair had spoken, it was still a very suspicious situation that the man had created through his deflections. "If there were other such items existing out there, it would be important to gather them. If they were in the wrong hands, then it would be the end of our people."

Garret then explained how the man had come to the hut and explained how he was going to kill the old man from within, in an effort to 'exorcise' the devilish magic that was being used. After having defeated him and bringing the body back to the strange Magician, the man used several spells to reveal the information Garret was searching for. "Azix. We managed to miss it in the previous dungeon, but there are creatures in there of great strength. They are called 'Djinn', and they are able to bestow upon those who conquer their dungeon with great strength. It seems this strength is able to be shared between trusted individuals, which are called a 'Household.'"

Looking away once more, he explained the last of what he had seen. "I know that there was a dungeon that was raised in the Imuchakk lands, though I have no other information... We must get there soon, and retrieve the Djinn's favor before that power gets into the wrong hands." He looked towards Azix. "If possible, I would like to entrust that power with you. I don't know how the Djinn will select who it gives its power to, but I believe that you would be the best of the two of us to be the owner of that power."

Garret would answer any questions, to the best of his ability, that Azix had of him. They would have a long trek ahead of them...

OOC:

--Exit?--

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Azix listened in fascination as Garret explained the strange magic that the old man had used, as well as the information that had been revealed to Garret. The idea of visiting another dungeon woke his sense of adventurism anew. When Garret told him that he believed Azix should obtain the power of the Djnn, he was stunned. Azix had asked for Garret's faith and he had received it. Understanding the gravity of the situation, a humble look overcame his face. "With great strength comes the burden of responsibility. If we obtain the Djinn's favor, I will not take that lightly."

Realization dawned on him and he burst out in a free-spirited laugh. "Don't you see Garret? Fate's hand is guiding us! Remember how Chief Asisiak said I was responsible for the workers in Imuchakk? I've been planning to go there to oversee the workers and deal with any cultural differences. Now, you tell me there is another dungeon there! Surely this is fate's design."

Azix ran his fingers through his hair and sighed, he would need to be prepared for the journey to come.

[exit]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum