You are not connected. Please login or register

Be Prepared [ Job | Private ]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Be Prepared [ Job | Private ] Empty Be Prepared [ Job | Private ] 07/02/21, 04:33 pm

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Details:

The Salto Obitus, or dance of death, is a sacred, ritualistic duel often used as a means for an individual to rise in leadership within the Corvus clan. Yet to utilize it to go as far as to challenge the Aleph for their position was uncommon.

Diana had done much to cultivate a lack of respect in her absence. For years, she had galavanted in foreign lands, abandoning the pride for her own selfish pursuits. When she had returned, her title had been stripped and her position no better than a deserter. The elders would call for the pursuit of her death. Yet to keep her life, she could do no less than to fight for it.

This day had marked that trial upon that very sunrise. A combat that would sever the ties that bound one twin to the other for the birthright their father left them. Their royalty had come with a price that neither of them expected.

The morning sun peeked through the curtains. Entangled in white, sheer linens, her flesh near bare and numb limbs wrapped around her brother. Her heavy eyes struggled to open against the might of its warm glow. Out of her lungs relaxed a sigh that crooned into his neck.

"I don't want to kill you," she murmured. Words such as that were hard spoken. The act would no doubt snuff out a part of them to which neither would recover.

Apollo hummed at those very words and the deep resonation of it filled her with further dread. "Neither do I," he replied with more ease. "So, when I concede my defeat, kill anyone who defies your place." As if it were as simple as sweeping sand.

Diana lifted herself upright and pressed her palms down on the mattress at either side of his shoulders. Messed up silver strands fell between their faces like a curtain. Apollo gazed up at her stoic expression. His hand reached up, tucking one side neatly behind her ear.

"And if no one accepts me?"

The corner of his lips curl into a smirk. "Then, it will just be us. Is that so terrible?"

"No," she said. It was not at all the worst outcome. Diana had lived without her pack for this long. What was an entire lifetime to do? "But it is not optimal."

Apollo rolled his eyes. It was never a question his care for the rest of them. He did what he had to do for a time. Now, it was her turn to shoulder the burden of their father.

"You're the one who left us, left me," he reminded her. The truth of it plunged a blade into her chest. She turned her head but his firm hand took hold of her jaw and forced her gaze upon him. "You had even made a mate out of an outsider. Do not think I can't hear the life that grows inside of you, Diana. The goddess does not guide you down roads you did not choose."

"Stop it."

"It is the truth and you know it."

Even as her blood rose to a simmer and her eyes stung with tears, it was futile to argue.

The door creaks open.

Diana put on a smile as she entered the room. Dread flits about her heart like flies to rot, slowly eating away at her ability to speak. “Mother,” she said, kneeling down to her side. The length of her mother's platinum hair clasped in hand, she combed through it as they began to speak.

A cold hand is placed on her face, her mother's thumb along her cheek. “Ah… Aidoneus. You've been gone for so long... I never thought I would see you again.” Such words were hard to hear even though Diana had played to this tune for so long. Her father had been dead for years. Yet her mother still could not discern from her beloved husband and her daughter.

Diana struggled to keep her smile. "Yes, Rhea, I am here," she hushed. Even to her mother, she must fill the shoes that her father left to her.

Beautiful shades of red returned to her mother's skin. Never did she look healthier than when she lived in this dream. Diana shrunk back, turning her face. "Dearest? What is wrong?" Rhea was smiling. She could hear it in her voice. Something comforting, something not meant for her but the memory of a man long lost.

"Nothing," lied Diana, forcing herself to look at her as she did so. Then, she spoke not as her father, but from her heart: "I did not realize how much I missed you."

Even now when she needed her the most, Rhea could not be there. Not as her mother. Just a husk of what she had been. Her mother takes her hand into her own, placing her soft, cold lips upon her knuckles. Diana frowned, clasping her hand down upon hers. For a little while, she would remain with her mother. If only but to ease her heart from the burdens it carried.

846 WORDS

Last edited by Diana Corvus on 24/06/23, 07:03 pm; edited 4 times in total

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

The ceremony takes place away from the capital and out in the desolate fields far away from others. In official engagements, the council of elders is present to spectate the battle. They stand off to the side by the great white tree the Corvus refers to as the ‘tree of purity’. While these men and women were much past their prime, their eyes remained sharp and their judgment sacred.

Prayers are given before the battle as a blessing of strength and luck. They believed under the sun was when the blood would run its hottest. For their sins to be released with their fists as the day waxes the sky and for the night to be the only time of peace.

Every capable fighter in the clan gathered to witness the fight. The heat seeped into their bones, boiling their blood. Firm stamps rouse the ground to rumble in a drumming unison. Tensions were high and every man was eager to step into the ring. They would not only be fighting each other but every other who wanted to claim their title.

While Diana and her brother were the children of the previous Aleph, they had never earned the title through legitimate means. The only way they had kept it thus far was through respect. Now, with those ties severed, there was little holding up their claims.

Corvus surrounded them like a pack of hungry dogs starved of meat and parched for bloodshed. The summer season must have been dry.
At the pinnacle of it all stood the prodigal twins. Their foreheads pressed against one another, hands conjoined upon each other as they existed as one. Together — they took a breath as their eyes drifted shut for the brief peace they were afforded.

“You have to be ready,” Apollo spoke. Fingers tightening their grip upon her forearm, he pulls her closer. “I will drag you through the sand as they did to our father all those years ago if so be it and I want to believe that you would do worse to me.”

To such words, there was little she could respond with. For it was not a jest between them. He was serious. When it begins, she knew he would see her as nothing more than something to kill. That was how they were raised and the life they had led up to this point. Morality had no place amidst a murder of crows whose minds meant to pick flesh from bone. Even if one were to fall from the flock, they would be plucked dry like everything else.

Aleph was not just a title — no, it meant more than that. Each time the mantle was taken marked a point of great change. It determined the future of their clan for the long term. Most important of all, there would be one less warrior to see the coming of night.

The sheen in her eyes dulled as she opened them, pale irises staring straight into his own. “I am,” she said after much thought. A small smile lightens upon her lips. “Let us have fun, shall we? No need to be so serious, Apollo.”

His teeth flash in a wild grin. A loud cackle echoes out into the wasteland. Taking her head in his hands, he presses his lips upon her forehead.

It was then the great horn sounds and the drums of war rose up from the earth. A moment of unity had been severed faster than it came and none of them were ready for what was to come.

1441 WORDS

Last edited by Diana Corvus on 24/06/23, 07:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

How love can shift to war in so little time was one of the marvels of the world. It was indiscriminate, careless of the people involved and who it would affect.

Diana could not see him as her brother. For as long as he stood as her adversary, he was nothing. Her heart was thrown into a feint, steeled for what was to come. Though they had fought plenty as children — this was different.

There was no hesitance in his movements. From a kiss to a blur before her eyes and a crushing pain radiating through her skull as his own collides with hers.

All she could hear was a deafening chime, her vision clouded by a vignette of black and tears that ebbed downwards onto the man she straddled below. A man she once called cousin, her hands tight around his neck — she could feel his pulse weaken as her own rose in pace.

He was defeated. She knew as his hands beat at her arms, legs pushing to get out from beneath her.

She did not stop.

The next thing she knew, she was falling back into the dirt. Her hands were removed from his throat. Every muscle in her body failed in a single moment. As her head turned on its side, she saw Apollo. His face painted red with blood, hand reaching for her.

This was it, she thought, this was where she would die. And in that moment, she wondered if she had lived — truly lived. Yet death did not come for her that day.

Just the gentle grasp of Apollo as he pulled her close to himself. Even if he wished to kill her, he did not have the strength.

( unfinished post, boo. )

1730 WORDS

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum