You are not connected. Please login or register

Academic Achievement [Training / Solo]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reed Harper

Reed Harper
β-Tier
β-Tier

REED HARPER
And it so was! The “big day” as his classmates put it. Reed was blissfully unaware of the importance of the exam--he was far too concerned with his family matters to put any effort in celebrating his “big day.” The trials awaiting him were monumental, yes, but with all of the real life experience he’s collected in the last few months, competing in the second kodor exam seemed woefully unimportant in the face of everything else. Still, it was both of his sisters’ wish for Reed to continue his schooling and live life normally. Regardless of what occurred, it was his obligation to act as a normal student of magic at Magnostadt.

Well, Reed, how well have you prepared? I’m just itching to see the magic you’ve created for this!” A classmate whispered to him in the hall. The lines outside the examination grounds were plentiful, that’s for sure, as every hopeful new student wished to advance to the next kodor immediately to gain access to higher levels of magic. Still, it was rare any first year student, or student in their first year, would be able to advance. Reed was a prodigy, yes; talented, sure, but there was no telling what opponent could face him in this time of tribulation.

Nothing too special--just simple sound spells is all,” Reed replied, offering up a sheepish smile before returning to his book, waiting in line for his turn to compete in this wonderful tournament. The classmate, however, refused to leave Reed alone, just sort of...standing there, hovering over him as he read his book. After a few minutes or so of pure, unadulterated awkward silence, Reed closed his book to offer up the same sheepish smile to his classmate. “Yes? Something else?

The classmate merely chuckled a sort of annoying chuckle that only people who just love to clean or make little knick-knacks would make and edged in closer to Reed, invading both his personal space and general disposition. “No? Nothing new? What’s that you’re, ah, reading then?” Oh. He was one of those people. Reed sighed and decided it would be better to engage in conversation with the hooligan rather than ignore him in hopes he’d just up and disappear.

Uh, no, it’s, well, I’m just doing a bit of light reading. See?” Reed explained pointing to the title of his book. “The Opera Harper. It’s m--well it’s a history of a family in the area. Fascinating stuff. Perhaps you can read...your own copy? Alone?” The tension grew ever thicker with discomfort that the air seemed to stagnate. Reed couldn’t help but purse his lips, his mouth filled with the ever-awful taste of “having-to-talk-to-someone-you-really-don’t-want-to-talk-to” as his classmate still refused to back off his case.

Oh. Boring! I thought you were reading something useful,” The classmate responded. Reed rolled his eyes at his classmate’s lack of pleasure of Reed’s personal reading habits, but soldiered on, hoping it would soon end. “Name’s Percival--Perry for short! Godspeed, eh?” His hand outstretched before him with what little space was left between he and Reed. Reed tentatively grabbed the hand and shook it, his grip just as loose and ill-fitting as Percival’s. Never in Reed’s life has he been that displeased with a social interaction, and that includes all the times with his parents. Thankfully, Perry walked away, hopefully to bother yet another student and never come across Reed again for as longs he may live.

Students! Students! Hello, yes, it seems the day has gotten away from us--examinations will resume tomorrow morning. Please return! We’ve since gotten down to, eh, well, there are more students to go! Pip pip!” The professor said, shooing everyone away from the examination grounds entrance. Reed sighed and picked up his things, walking back to his room. What a colossal waste of his time--he could’ve been reading unobstructed by some annoying buffoon.

Students! Oh students! We begin day two of the examinations! First up--Undine, Sarah versus Efreet, Amir! Come up, please! Alright, the rest of you, wait...patiently, I guess!” The professor instructed, pulling the blue haired girl and the red-haired boy into the arena. Reed let out an audible groan at the idea of having to wait so long. He was ready, more than ready, considering some of the magicians who passed their examination were light years less talented than he was. He plopped himself down on the ground, sliding backward against the wall until his rear was firmly placed on the ground beneath him before opening up his book again. What better way to wait for a test than to do some light reading on his family’s history?

What’s that? New spells? You must be so talented, Reed!” Oh no. Reed, startled, closed his book and looked up to find none other than Percival standing over him, his body far too close to a sitting Reed for this to be a normal conversation.

Perc--Perry...Perry. Hello. Again,” Reed stammered, trying to stand up quickly without accidentally jamming his head into a face-full of his classmate’s crotch. “To what do I owe the...pleasure...of speaking with you today?” Bitterness was the only taste on Reed’s mouth as those words left his lips. Percival chuckled, again with that stupid chuckle from yesterday, and continued conversation, his body still far too close for normal conversation.

I snuck a peek at the professor’s line-up. It seems we are to duel. Exciting, yes? I hope you’ll go easy on me, right?” A glimmer of hope sparkled in Reed’s eyes. How fortunate INDEED. He had the chance to pulverize this slightly off-kilter jerk into next week for bothering him so much.

Exciting, INDEED!” Reed failed to contain his excitement, though in this case Perry received it well. He didn’t quite understand that Reed was more excited about the chance to trounce his classmate rather than engage in magical fisticuffs with a fellow magician. With quiet anticipation, Reed waited for his name to be called along with Perry’s, ignoring and avoiding the conversation with ease. Unfortunately, the day was once again a failure considering the residing professor pushed off the final round of examinations for tomorrow.

Harper, Reed and Drake, Percival! Come hither, yes, yes....alright! You may enter the examination grounds. Good luck! And clean fighting you two!” The professor made special attention to glare at Reed after saying “clean fighting.” Just what was that supposed to mean? Did she know? The two students shook hands and walked into the arena, feeling the weight of a thousand eyes on them as students of the first kodor and academy administration watched in the audience.

Oh boy…” Reed said, looking around at all the people. He certainly didn’t expect it to be this popular an affair. Somehow, Percival was enjoying the attention. What the hell? Reed was flabbergasted at his apparent charisma--just ten minutes ago he didn’t know how to have a proper conversation with a human.

Reed!” Percival called out from the other end of the arena, “I’ll have you know--you may be brilliant. But nobody baits an opponent better than me!” Percival smirked before waving his wand in front of him, brilliant sparks of light emanating from his wand until it took the shape of a vibrating whip of light. Interesting--it made sense to pair the two of them together. Reed might have the educational foundation but Percival was every bit as crafty as he was. Reed held his wand in front of him and placed his hand by the end of the violin staff--manifesting a pale green light over his wand to cast his signature spell: Rondo. The two squared off in the arena, their blows meeting in equal strength as they two magicians took turns to parry the other’s attack.

I suppose it is true what they say about you, Reed! A magician of great talent!” Percival whipped his whip-wand around and lashed Reed right across the cheek, his borg neglecting to activate on purpose. Sensing he had the upper hand, Percival sent pulses of sound down his whip, radiating off of his whip until Reed’s borg felt a significant crack.

Rhapsody!” Reed yelled, waving his wand around him, enduring the shattering of his borg as he got close enough to cast his spell in close proximity to his opponent. “Eat dirt, dingus!” The pockets of air vibrated so intensely around Percival that he was not quick, or powerful, enough to set up a borg powerful enough to defend against the blast, and was knocked backward, unconscious, on the floor of the arena.

Impressive! Our winner is Reed Harper! Congratulations, you have advanced into the second kodor!” Reed smiled with all of the arrogant triumph he felt in that moment which, truly, was insurmountable, and strutted out of the arena. Nothing felt quite better in the moment than the sweet, sweet taste of victory over the most aggravating of opponents. Percival came to as Reed walked away, struggling to stand as the professor consoled him on his loss.

Nobody’s beaten me until you, Harper!” Percival yelled, rubbing blood away from his mouth as he clutched his stomach in pain, “I promise you won’t be so lucky next time!” Reed smiled as he walked off, waving his hand in the air to acknowledge the LOSER’s last boast.

magoi ( 260 / 260 )stamina ( 085 / 085 )
word count ( 1566 / 1000 )ooc ( Training complete! )

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum