You are not connected. Please login or register

Issues I see with the Ranger Nerf

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

So after the range has been changed again regarding Rangers, I believe this basicly invalidates any realistic ranged class.

As such it heavily restricts there ability to be away from melee, by allowing melee characters to reach them before they have even sent a few arrows flying to a target.

For example fanalis can instantly cover small distances, we have humans that can run 100 metres in less than 10 seconds and thats modern times, ancient humans were far fitter.

By restricting it towards 40 metres, espically when dealing with the fact of placing restrictions such as blocking movement and requiring string draw means that Bow, Crossbow Rangers and any sort of rangers that require a wind up are quiet literally instantly going to get wasted.

If you say ooh you have a hunting knife now, well we aren't a melee fighter class so technically our melee ability isn't that good, so we still wouldn't be allowed to stand a chance.

Its well recorded the true range of arrows, slings etc and if we have moved to a stage where magic users can easily throw there magic to a similar range with more effects then Rangers will become a redundant class much like when this site first launched with dexterity characters as a spec, (I was the only one for a good while).

For example Warrior spec can use shields which should heavily restrict and be a solid counter towards Rangers because its a way to block, we should be actively pushing people to make use of shields or cover in threads.

While in PvE 40 metres is plenty of range, in PvP or DMed PvE 40 metres isn't enough for a ranged focused class.

I strongly believe at the current stage that Rangers are being over Balanced/Punished in favour of the other classes rather than balancing based on factors that evolve, Im not asking for 400 metre ranges but range that for anyone taking stationary restrictions for attacks with draw requirments not to be extremely punished for supporting even a small amount of realism.

Farid Issah

Farid Issah
β-Tier
β-Tier

Vodara wrote:For example fanalis can instantly cover small distances, we have humans that can run 100 metres in less than 10 seconds and thats modern times, ancient humans were far fitter.

I refute this point.

You're saying the current Olympian standards is 100M in less than 10 seconds. World Record is 9.58, which is closer to 10 than 9. Next, we have less than 1000 people in the world who have officially beaten 10second in the 100M. Out of 7.4B~, this come out to about >.00001% of people. Approximately, 1 in 10 million have achieved this.

That is what we have now. These athletes, don't have to do the same type of labor as required back then. Nor do they have the same type of tools. Nor do they have the same type of nourishment readily available. Now thanks to specialization, people are allowed to train stuff that might not be exactly useful.

• 1 in 10 million are at the Olympic level for running. And there is a smaller population at this time.
  • Athletes now have better tools.
  • Athletes now have better trainers.
  • Athletes now have better nourishment.
  • Athletes now have more information.
  • Athletes now have more competitions.

If you would like more realism. The fastest arrows travel 400 feet per second. (THIS IS A HIGH TECH BOW) This equates to 120 meters per second. The AVERAGE reaction time to visual stimulus is .25 seconds.

This means, people are going to be able to react to a bow shot over 30Ms in range.

Plus, would you like to account for the time to knock an arrow, the time to draw an arrow, and the time to aim and account for wind? Also, this is not a trick arrow. Meaning you can't have weird weights or effects on this.

Throwing my two cents into the gauntlet.

Zadi

Zadi
A-Tier
A-Tier

Let's not get crazy and force everyone to read more walls of text and numbers. Battle using the current system before making assumptions/estimations/guesses. Obviously not a fight where death is viable.

Caelus Valeria

Caelus Valeria
A-Tier
A-Tier

If we're aiming for realism, i'd be inclined to agree with you. But this is an anime RP. Meaning you could flawlessly take down multiple enemies like Legolas, and still not have broken a sweat. Hell, it would be a warm up. Do some flips, throw in some abilities that shoot multiple arrows, have a crazy ridiculous trick arrow that creates a smokescreen, there's so much more to anime archery than there is in real life.

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

With the fact currently people can move pretty fast burst of speed like horses or even faster 40 metres will get closed very quickly making ranged play redundant.

@Caelus I don't want to play legolas thats boring, playing something more sinister, sneaky, tactical.

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

Zadi wrote:Let's not get crazy and force everyone to read more walls of text and numbers. Battle using the current system before making assumptions/estimations/guesses. Obviously not a fight where death is viable.

That. Only I want to say it in a much meaner way.

Seriously Voda, go do some PvP and THEN tell me how easy it is to close range on a ranger as a warrior.

P.S. You can have moves with more range than 40m. You have some yourself. It's the specialty arrows that were given much more limited ranges.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum