Borg stuff again

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Borg stuff again Empty Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 12:36 am

Zadi

Zadi
A-Tier
A-Tier

I'm starting to see a common misconception about how much damage a borg can actually withstand so I'm just going to link to the rule/system section responsible and lay out a quote from it;

https://magiworld.forumotion.com/t2457-specialization-system#11679

Specialization System wrote:D-Tier: Can have one basic staffs C-Tier and below spells with a single element can be used. Borg can defend against a single D-Tier ability before breaking.

C-Tier: Can have one basic staff. B-Tier and below spells with a single element can be used. Borg can defend against 1 C-Tier, or 2 D-Tier abilities before breaking.

B-Tier: Can have one basic staff. A-Tier spells and below can be used. At this tier, a Magician can learn a second magic type. Both types can be used in conjunction to create brand new techniques and magics. Borg can defend against 1 B-Tier, 2 C-Tier, or 4 D-Tier abilities before breaking.

A-Tier: Can have up to three advanced staffs with special abilities [see weapon guidelines - only 1 may be taken into a thread at a time]. A-Tier spells and below can be used.  Borg can defend against 1 A-Tier, 2 B-Tier, 4 C-Tier, or 8 D-Tier abilities before breaking.

Ω-Tier: Can have up to three advanced staffs with special abilities [see weapon guidelines - only 1 may be taken into a thread at a time]. Ω-Tier spells and below can be used. At this tier a magician can learn a third magic type  anywhere on the wheel. All three types can be used in conjunction to create brand new techniques and magics. Borg can defend against 1 A-Tier, 2 B-Tier, 4 C-Tier, or 8 D-Tier abilities before breaking.

2Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 12:53 am

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

You seem to have forgotten the Borg section below that explains the Borg, Zadi:

Solomon's Proxy wrote:Borg - A Magician's Borg is an automatic defense which instantly activates in response to attacks with ill intent. If a Borg is broken by an attack that is a tier higher than it or below, no damage will be dealt and the attack will be canceled, including any supplementary abilities that were a part of that attack. If the Borg is met by an attack 2 tiers higher than it, the Magician’s Borg is destroyed and the Magician takes half damage. If the Borg is met by an attack 3 or more tiers higher than it, the Magician’s Borg is destroyed and the Magician takes full damage. The Borg will activate for both Offensive and Supplementary abilities/effects and will also activate if someone attempts to disarm a magician or destroy their conduit. If a magician has time to make a conscious decision, they may choose to not activate their borg.

To clarify the wording; it only TAKES an A-Tier ability to destroy the Borg. However if it is just ONE ability, the Borg can defend against an Omega-Tier attack if you are A-Tier.

I do believe this was in response to my post against Lagi in the Arena.

3Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 01:35 am

Zadi

Zadi
A-Tier
A-Tier

With the section you quoted being written underneath (aka 2nd) the section I quoted, I thought that a borg's tier was 1 tier lower than the magician with D-tier being...just...weak. Anyway, Lagi also hit Zadi with an Omega-tier blast and Proxy's post indicating that Zadi was hit lead me to believe Proxy was misinformed about the borg, too. However, it was indeed your post that I became a little more aware of what I thought was a mistake.

Also, the section you quoted is still confusing taking my confusion into account. I thought commented that it was fine after the clarifications made not too long ago...but...that bold part needs some rewording. Still feels like it means an A-tier magician's borg blocks like a B-tier defense ability.

4Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 02:07 am

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The issue is that the above section says 'before breaking'. Meaning that's all the damage that is required to break it. So yes, the Borg can defend against more damage than what it takes to break, but that is only in the event that all that damage came from just 1 ability.

If you've experienced otherwise in a ruling, then it was the mistake of the person who made that ruling.

To reduce confusion, I would suggest the following change:

Code:
[b]D-Tier:[/b] Can have one basic staffs C-Tier and below spells with a single element can be used. The Borg is D-tier.

[b]C-Tier:[/b] Can have one basic staff. B-Tier and below spells with a single element can be used. The Borg is C-Tier.

[b]B-Tier:[/b] Can have one basic staff. A-Tier spells and below can be used. At this tier, a Magician can learn a second magic type. Both types can be used in conjunction to create brand new techniques and magics. The Borg is B-Tier.

[b]A-Tier:[/b] Can have up to three advanced staffs with special abilities [see weapon guidelines - only 1 may be taken into a thread at a time]. A-Tier spells and below can be used. The Borg is A-Tier.

[b]Ω-Tier:[/b] Can have up to three advanced staffs with special abilities [see weapon guidelines - only 1 may be taken into a thread at a time]. Ω-Tier spells and below can be used. At this tier a magician can learn a third magic type  anywhere on the wheel. All three types can be used in conjunction to create brand new techniques and magics. The Borg is A-Tier.

[b]Magician's Constitution -[/b] All primary intelligence spec users must start out with weaker bodies including those of races with innate strength boosts. All Magician's are limited to D-tier damage with their bodies. The exception is if they gain Strength specialization as a secondary or tertiary specialization, in which case their abilities deal damage as normal, with the exception of the Imuchakk, who would deal damage as though they were a halfling of that race.

[b]Borg -[/b] A Magician's Borg is an automatic defense which instantly activates in response to attacks with ill intent. It is capable of withstanding a number of attacks which effect or damage equals its tier. If a Borg is struck by a single attack that is a tier higher than it or below, no damage will be dealt and the attack will be canceled, including any supplementary abilities that were a part of that attack. If the Borg is met by an attack 2 tiers higher than it, the Magician’s Borg is destroyed and the Magician takes half damage. If the Borg is met by an attack 3 or more tiers higher than it, the Magician’s Borg is destroyed and the Magician takes full damage. The Borg will activate for both Offensive and Supplementary abilities/effects and will also activate if someone attempts to disarm a magician or destroy their conduit. If a magician has time to make a conscious decision, they may choose to not activate their Borg.

Keep in mind that there is nothing lower than 'D-Tier' in abilities, and all primary intelligence users get a Borg. This means at D-Tier you have a Borg, and it has a tier. It makes less sense to me that you thought that the tier of the Borg was considered a tier below your Specialization rank than thinking that the Borg is capable of absorbing a tier higher than your specialization rank of damage (if it's just from one attack).

Regardless, the confusion exists, so I'll second your request for clarity in the rules so that it can be easier for people to understand.

5Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 12:40 pm

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

If other members find this to be a more clear explanation, I have no objections to the re-wording... I would like to get input from others, to make sure it is clear enough for them, though~

6Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 04:15 pm

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

My only complaint is this line.

It is capable of withstanding a number of attacks which effect or damage equals its tier.

It's worded somewhat confusingly. If that line could be revised, then I've got no complaints with the update.

7Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 04:49 pm

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Do you have another suggestion for how to word it in a way that is more clear?

8Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 05:06 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

It is capable of withstanding a number of abilities (supplementary or offensive) and/or attacks equal to its tier.

As you mentioned, that wording is slightly awkward. I think this covers it, unless there is something better?

9Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 01/03/16, 07:20 pm

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

Garret wrote:It is capable of withstanding a number of abilities (supplementary or offensive) and/or attacks equal to its tier.

As you mentioned, that wording is slightly awkward. I think this covers it, unless there is something better?

Looks much better to me.

10Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 02/03/16, 09:06 am

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Seems like people agree with this... any input from others on if this makes things more or less clear for them? I don't want to make it more clear for a couple of people only to make everyone else confused, so input please ^_^

11Borg stuff again Empty Re: Borg stuff again 09/03/16, 02:28 pm

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

suggested clarifications added to the specialization page, hopefully this makes things 100% crystal clear for everyone~

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum