You are not connected. Please login or register

Prestidigitation and other D rank Social spells

5 posters

Should D rank Social spells be allowed to cover any element?

Prestidigitation and other D rank Social spells Votepi100%Prestidigitation and other D rank Social spells Votepi10 0% [ 0 ]
Prestidigitation and other D rank Social spells Votepi1050%Prestidigitation and other D rank Social spells Votepi10 50% [ 3 ]
Prestidigitation and other D rank Social spells Votepi1050%Prestidigitation and other D rank Social spells Votepi10 50% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

So, with the new Social Spells system, i thought about a spell that would give magicians a feel for the elements they don't have access to normally. The spell is called Prestidigitation, as seen below.

Name: Prestidigitation
Tier: D
Cost: N/A
Element: Heat/Water/Light/Lightning/Wind/Sound/Strength/Life
Class: Social
Range: See Effect
Duration: Concentration
Cool-Down: N/A
Description: This is often used as a training spell for new mages, but has the added benefit of being a swiss-army knife of sorts.  Depending on the element chosen upon casting, one of the following effects takes place.

Heat: you can create a flame that is at its largest 5 cm in width and length, that produces a low heat, or at its smallest a 1 cm width 3 cm length, that produces a very high heat in a single direction.

Water: you can create or control up to 1 liter of water.

Light: you can tap an object of up to 6 cm diameter and cause it to glow like a lantern.  This is normally a white light, but a color can be selected.

Lightning: you can produce a jolt of electricity that gives what it strikes magnetic properties.  the jolt originates for you, or your staff.  The object become moderately magnetic, strong enough to hold it fast to a piece of metal.

Wind: you can produce a light gust of wind strong enough to blow out candles.  Alternatively, you can concentrate this gust to simply cut 1 cm thick rope or thinner materials, up to 3 meters away from you.  Denser materials cannot be cut this way.

Sound: you can produce a sound that can be as soft as a whisper, or as loud as a scream.  The sound can sound like anything, but cannot replicate speech patterns.  This sound can originate anywhere within 10 meters of you.

Strength: you gain a light telekinesis capable of lifting a 5 lb./2.25 kg object up to 10 meters from you.

Life: you can create up to a 6 cm sphere of solid matter.  It can be as simple as a stone, or as complex as a small amount of bread.

Everyone who wanted to learn it would be given access to this spell, as it does only the most basic things that each element of magic should be able to do.

What i want to know from the community, is should we allow D rank Social spells to fall under the category of "everyone with a staff can do this" or be kept to the realm of "only if you have the element". We could have Prestidigitation be the only exception, or have it kept to what D ranks should be able to do. Please vote on your preference.

Altair Loros

Altair Loros
A-Tier
A-Tier

I am voting yes to prestidigitation, but no to other D rank spells. While it is canon that other elements may be used by anyone with proper training, those abilities that involve more control over a single element than what is featured in Prestidigitation would require having a specialization in that element.

Liber Aurelius

Liber Aurelius
β-Tier
β-Tier

I'm against this.

It's also canon that magicians have trouble learning any magic outside those which they have an aptitude for. It wouldn't make sense that a D-rank magician could tap into all the magic types unless they were a Magi.

Zadi

Zadi
A-Tier
A-Tier

I like the spell :D
Makes sense to me~

However, if this gets denied because of Yaku's reason, then I suggest that the spell is still multi-elemental, but only the element that one is aptitude in and even future-apt in would be the elements to be "usable" in this spell. It would perfectly take into account what Yaku said, but I personally like the full-use spell~

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

@Zadi, you have 15 social ability slots at this time and can purchase more. Why would you need one spell that covers a variety of different magic types? At this time, only two people have even tried to make social abilities, and they each only presented 2. There is no reason to have 1 spell that does ten different things.

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

Zadi wrote:I like the spell :D
Makes sense to me~

However, if this gets denied because of Yaku's reason, then I suggest that the spell is still multi-elemental, but only the element that one is aptitude in and even future-apt in would be the elements to be "usable" in this spell. It would perfectly take into account what Yaku said, but I personally like the full-use spell~

First of all, it doesn't take what I said into account. Just because a magician has future aptitude for a magic type does not mean they would have access to smaller forms of it right off the bat. It takes training to even cast a single spell from a magic type other than the one you are born with the highest aptitude towards. Besides, people could change their mind about what they want their future magic type to be before they get it which would create plot inconsistencies if they ever use the spell in the way you are suggesting.

Secondly, the social spell Botanical Manse I tried to make was multi-element but it was denied because that isn't allowed. Since social abilities are supposed to follow normal ability standards, this spell should also not be allowed for the exact same reason.

Ariella Negri

Ariella Negri
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Looks like, for now, we will be sticking with the guidelines in place. This may be revisited at a later date, though, once we see how the system works~

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum