Ability Balances

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ability Balances Empty Ability Balances 04/08/14, 04:00 am

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

There was mention about balancing the abilities so that they wouldn't be completely capped out and there could be variety. For example, currently a D-Tier ability could have ten meter range, at ten m/s, and have a scale of five meters.

The idea would be that each Tier ability has X amount of points to spend on it.

Points Per Tier:

D-Tier: 5
C-Tier: 10
B-Tier: 15
A-Tier: 20
O-Tier: 25

Speed: 1 point/ 2 point/ 3 point

D-Tier: 3/6/10
C-Tier: 5/10/15
B-Tier: 10/15/20
A-Tier: 15/20/25
O-Tier: 20/25/30

Range: 1 point/ 2 point/ 3 point

D-Tier: 3/5/10
C-Tier: 6/10/20
B-Tier: 9/15/30
A-Tier: 12/20/40
O-Tier: 18/25/50

Scale: 1 point/ 2 point/ 3 point

D-Tier: 1/3/5
C-Tier: 3/6/10
B-Tier: 5/10/15
A-Tier: 8/16/25
O-Tier: 15/25/50

Amount: 1 point/ 2 point/ 3 point

D-Tier: 1/3/5
C-Tier: 1/5/10
B-Tier: 5/10/15
A-Tier: 10/15/20
O-Tier: 10/20/30

Further, each ability has a proficiency ranking so that you can unlock more points to potentially max out the ability. Each proficiency would need a larger word count to rank it up.

Learned/Trained/Mastered

D: Base/+3/+5
C: Base/+x/+x
B: Base/+x/+x
A: Base/+x/+x
O: Base/+x/+x

The numbers would need to be beta tested and I realize there would need to be a scale for the Dex buff. This is just a quick run down. Thoughts?

2Ability Balances Empty Re: Ability Balances 04/08/14, 09:30 am

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

I think this is an interesting idea and could be viable. I'm unsure of how much extra work this would create for the mods, but overall, I like the idea. I think maybe jus giving 5 points each tier might work better, because at omega tier, you could sit there and uber buff things beyond ridiculousness. The benefits from adding points to omega tier stuff is pretty epic all on its own without having 25 points to apply.

3Ability Balances Empty Re: Ability Balances 04/08/14, 10:56 am

Diligence

Diligence
A-Tier
A-Tier

Are you basically saying that abilities level up or am I seeing this wrong?

4Ability Balances Empty Re: Ability Balances 04/08/14, 02:30 pm

Diego Namez

Diego Namez
A-Tier
A-Tier

@Lexi, that is a good point. It'd be something that would need to be tested a few times to see what the perfect balance would be.

@Sloth: Yes, this idea is basically saying your abilities would be leveled up, but also have more specialized abilities. A fast, medium range attack or a slow, long distance attack.

5Ability Balances Empty Re: Ability Balances 04/08/14, 07:30 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

With how it is right now, there is no point in having more than 12 points, as 12 will max everything out. Unless, of course, that's a cumulative cost to increase the cost of skills. Ex. to max out your speed would either cost 3 or 6, same for each other skill.

If it's the case where it takes 6 (1, +2, +3), then at 24 points additional points become redundant. In the following examples, we will assume that the total amount to max out a single factor, such as speed, would be 3 points in total instead of 6 points in total as per your chart.

However, you could possibly add higher tiers than the starting 3 you are offering, that can only be unlocked by extra points.

Ex.:
Points Per Tier:

D-Tier: 5
C-Tier: 10
B-Tier: 15
A-Tier: 20
O-Tier: 25

Speed: |Learned|1 points / 2 points / 3 points |Trained| 4 points / 5 points |Mastered| 6 points

D-Tier: |L|3/6/10|T|15/20|M|25
C-Tier: |L|5/10/15|T|20/25|M|30
B-Tier: |L|10/15/20|T|25/30|M|35
A-Tier: |L|15/20/25|T|30/35|M|40
O-Tier: |L|20/25/30|T|35/40|M|45

While this is an offer and a possibility, it has been discussed on a smaller scale on simplification and limiting the amount of math needed. This may make some of these suggestions less appealing, and we may want to instead put the base points for each tier at a lower amount, or offer less of an 'increase' at higher levels.

Ex.:
Points Per Tier:

D-Tier: 4
C-Tier: 6
B-Tier: 8
A-Tier: 10
O-Tier: 12

"Ability Here": |Learned|1 points / 2 points / 3 points |Trained| 4 points / 5 points |Mastered| 6 points

D-Tier: |L|3/6/10|T|15/20|M|25
C-Tier: |L|5/10/15|T|20/25|M|30
B-Tier: |L|10/15/20|T|25/30|M|35
A-Tier: |L|15/20/25|T|30/35|M|40
O-Tier: |L|20/25/30|T|35/40|M|45
If you were to still retain your idea of leveling up techs, while following the above example of starting points, you could go:

Learned/Trained/Mastered

D: Base/+3/+4
C: Base/+2/+3
B: Base/+2/+2
A: Base/+2/+2
O: Base/+2/+2

You might ask me why the D tier gets an exceptionally larger amount of points as compared to the other tiers; this is for balancing reasons as well as logical reasoning. D tier is the second weakest thing you can do, however it trumps anything done without abilities.

Therefore, it should make sense that these abilities/spells/techniques are the weakest initially. However, because these abilities are so weak, finding room for improvement should be easy. This is why training and mastering them have higher point returns; the other spells already initially have a high amount of points, so you don't really have TOO much room for improving the abilities/spells/techniques because they start out closer to the best they can be.

This can be, in part, reflected by the fact that by the time you learn them you are already very knowledgeable and capable of executing high level techniques accurately and efficiently. Hence the lower 'extra points' provided for subsequent trainings.

Also, as you noted above, you can only reach a tier of point spending once you have broken through a wall. This means that an A tier ability cannot have a Mastered level range without having trained it to that point, as they have the starting points available to do such a thing.

This kind of implementation would certainly add a great deal of variety to the current tech/spells/ability rundown. I applaud you for lying down the groundwork. Please take what I have said and improve upon it or provide constructive criticism where you find necessary.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum