The Horse Soars Through The Sky [Chain/Alma Torran]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Details:

ZUZU MANSUR

The evening moon smiled upon the carriage wherein Zubaidah sat. Though she had finished the previous tale over the past few nights, she had spent the day recording its contents into another book; she took great pains ensuring that there were no mistakes. Whilst she went about that endeavour, she found it useful to add her own notes in the margin, discussing the details she had found.

Soon enough Zubaidah had finished the second copy, both tale and notes, and felt sleep bearing down upn her. But her curiosity was so great that she could not rest - eager she was to read the next tale. She opened the book again and, sure enough, a new tale had appeared upon the pages. She began reading, as she had before, and this was the tale:

Behold the third story within Gusion's cycle, regarding my relations with Furcas and his horse, as well as the marriage of my daughter.

Noting down this new name, Zubaidah questioned the reason for the change in the tale and its narrator. This was an unfamiliar person, who she had not come across before, and she was apprehensive about the narrative. But she put aside any doubts, and continued reading.

It was the feast of the New Year, the oldest and most splendid of all the feasts in the great Erum (may Ilah bless its name). I had spent the day in the capital Tirazis, taking part in the magnificent spectacles prepared by my citizens in honour of the festival. The sun was setting, and I was about to give the court their well-deserved signal to retire, when suddenly a man appeared before the throne, dressed in silk and leather, announcing himself as a merchant and leading a beautiful horse before himself.

"O king of the Jinanns," said he, prostrating himself as he spoke, "Although I make my appearance so late before your Highness, I can confidently assure you that none of the wonders you have seen during the day can be compared to this crafted horse, if you will deign to cast your eyes upon him.”

"I see nothing special about it," I replied, "Except that it is some clever imitation of a real one, and any skilled workman might do as much."

"Sire," he returned, "It is not of his outward form that I would speak, but of the use that I can make of him. I have only to mount him, and wish myself into some special place and - no matter how distant it may be - in a very few moments I shall find myself there. It is this, sire, that makes the horse so marvellous, and if your Highness will allow me, you can prove it for yourself."

Interested in everything out of the common, and intrigued by a horse with such qualities, I bade this man mount the animal, and show what he could do. In an instant the man had vaulted on his back, and inquired where I wished to send him.

"Do you see that mountain?" I asked, pointing to a huge mass that towered into the sky about three leagues from Tirazis, "Go and bring me the leaf of a palm that grows at the foot."

The words were hardly out of my mouth when he placed his hand upon the horse's neck, close to the saddle, and the beast bounded like lightning up into the air. With a frightening speed, he was soon beyond the sight even of the sharpest eyes. In a quarter of an hour, the man was seen returning, bearing in his hand the palm. Guiding his horse to the foot of the throne, he dismounted and laid the leaf before my person.

Now I had no sooner believed this horse’s unique value, from that display of astonishing speed, than I longed to possess it myself. And indeed, so sure was I that this man would be quite ready to sell, that I looked upon it as my own already.

"I never guessed from his mere outside how valuable an animal he was!" I remarked, "I am grateful to you for having shown me my error so, if you will still sell it, name your own price."

"Sire," replied the man, "I never doubted that a sovereign so wise and accomplished as your Highness would do justice to my horse, when he once knew its power. I even went so far as to think it probable that you might wish to possess it. Greatly as I prize it, I will yield it up to your Highness on one condition. The horse was not always mine, and its previous owner made me take a solemn oath that I would never part with it, except for some object of equal value."

"Name anything you like!" I cried, interrupting him. "My kingdom is large, and filled with fair cities. You have only to choose which you would prefer, and you shall become its ruler to the end of your life."

"Sire, I must refuse," he answered, the proposal seeming not so generous as it appeared to myself, "I am most grateful to your Highness for your princely offer, and beseech you not to be offended with me. For I can only deliver up my horse in exchange for the hand of the princess, your daughter."

A shout of laughter burst from the courtiers as they heard these words and the Wezir Schah, son of Pared, was filled with anger at his presumption. I understood his anger but paid him no heed, for I saw this marriage as a boon twofold: He was an attractive man, learned in etiquette and wit - a perfect match for my educated daughter - and it would not be a low price to part from the princess in order to gain such a delightful toy. But, while I was hesitating, the Wezir broke in,

"Sire," he said, "It is not possible that you can doubt for an instant what reply you should give to such an insolent bargain! Consider what you owe to yourself, and to the blood of your ancestors."

"My friend," I replied, "You speak nobly, but you do not realise either the value of the horse, or the fact if I reject this proposal, he will only make the same offer to one of my Emirs. If they should buy this horse, and not me, I would have less than those who govern below me - and they shall own this wonder that I do not. Of course, I do not say that I shall accept his conditions outright. Why not ask the princess herself what she should want?”

So I brought out my daughter, veiled in red and silk. It was not hard to surmise that the man thought her more beautiful than any woman he had ever beheld. But, fascinated though he was, he was well aware of the danger of his position, and held his tongue. Instead, sinking quietly on his knees, he took hold of the sleeve of the princess with one hand and held her ring finger to his lips with the other, so he might kiss it. My daughter blushed and, seeing before her a handsome and well-dressed man, remained speechless with astonishment.

The man, madly in love and thinking that he saw in me signs of yielding to his proposal, suggested he allow the princess a chance to mount the horse, and show her how to guide it. Whispering words into my daughter’s ears, the young man patted the horse’s neck, and she was soon out of sight.

We waited some time, expecting that every moment she might be seen returning in the distance, but at length I grew frightened and demanded that she be brought back at once. The young man, sensing my distress, said,

"Sire, your Highness must have noticed that the fair princess has not yet returned, and I am unsure why she has not. I implore you not to punish me for what was not my fault, for I told her how she might return. May I venture to where your daughter might be, for I think I may know her place.”

Though wary of his intentions, and despite the Wezir Schah’s advice, I allowed him three days to ascertain my daughter’s whereabouts and return her to my side. Were he to fail, he would become a man wanted throughout my lands. And, with not a word more, he went. We waited three long days for his return but, come the third day, we saw no signs of him nor heard any reports. I readied myself to write his warrant but, as I retired from the court, the most marvellous sight presented itself.

Resting below the feet of the throne were the man and my daughter, astride the magical horse. Attached to the saddle were all manner of delights; gold and myrrh and incense in silken pouches; fabrics rich and colorful weaved into rugs and garments; the finest iron armour and the sharpest swords. Amazed at this wondrous display, I asked of the man,

“Where did you come across such fine merchandise? These goods could not have come from just any place, not even a skilled merchant such as yourself would have the means to acquire such things!”

“Sire,” he replied with new confidence, “I am afraid that I deceived you in the matter of me being a merchant. I am actually a Magician, the youngest of Palti’s sons, who was trained under Natan. These goods are my inheritance as the descendent of Laish.”

“Why, I fought alongside Palti and Natan!” I was both overjoyed at this young man’s relations and intrigued by his claim, “Then did you animate this horse, or was it some other fellow who created it for you?”

“Here,” the man answered, “I am afraid I deceived you again! This horse is but a normal horse. I prayed to Ilah, and he granted this horse the power of flight through the rukh. Alas, I suppose this means that I have nothing to offer but myself and my riches in return for the fair princess’ hand.”

“How could I refuse your offer! I exclaimed, “This fine merchandise alone is a good enough dowry for my daughter, the princess! But, if you were willing to offer your services as a Magician, I am willing to establish you as my Wezir!”

So I gave orders that the habits of celebration be assumed again, and that there should be a concert of drums, trumpets and cymbals. The festivities stretched throughout the night, and six nights more, with pleasures greater than the first. The smell of incense, sweets and gunpowder stayed in the air for weeks longer, and I ordered that such celebrations should be kept. Thus, our New Year festival is no longer a single day, but a whole week.

And that is how Furcas, son of Palti, was adopted into my household as son-in-law and became my Wezir. He aided me tremendously during my reign, and often joined my Emirs in their expeditions. He had an appetite for adventure and a deep curiosity as I did, but nothing was greater than his love for my daughter - and his horse.
mag/mag | word/1866 | stam/stam

Zubaidah's Notes:

Tales of Torran:

──────────────────────────────────────────────

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum