Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Job Name: Wei Tenji's Connections
Job Rank: D-Tier
Job Location: Reim
Job Rewards: 50 xp, 3,000 huang
Job Overview: Wei Tenji has invited you to meet with three candidates to lead the education initiative. Tour a few of the educational facilities and provide your input on which candidate you would prefer.

True to her word, Wei Tenji set up a meeting with her connections to get Azix's input on someone to lead the education reforms the Provincial Council had approved. Glad he was able to provide his suggestion, Azix planned to gauge the candidates values. Dressed in respectable Reim clothes, with his usual eye-patch over his left eye, Azix met Wei Tenji and her associates for lunch down the street from a large school.

Two women and a man sat with Wei Tenji at a table outside when he arrived and he greeted them with a respectful bow. While he sat down Wei introduced him, "This is Marquis Niraj, the man I told you about." She then pointed to each of her associates in turn, "This is the Director of Education of Remano, Artemis Callum. These two ladies are Catalina Stium and Trinity Harpus, two Headmistresses of two of Remano's finest schools."

Artemis was a man in his fifties with a mustache that resembled a furry, white worm that curled over his upper lip. His piercing blue eyes sparkled from behind a pair of wide-rimmed glasses as he studied Azix carefully. He tilted his head in greeting, "Well met, Marquis Niraj."

Azix waved his hand with a smile, "Please, call me Azix, no need to be so formal. It is nice to meet you three, I have been interested to see what educators thought of my ideas." He pulled a few copies of his proposal and passed it around in case they had not read it.

Catalina leaned forward to grab one of the copies and leaned back in her chair to read it. She tucked her blonde curls behind an ear, "All children, quite an endeavor." She mused to herself, lifting an eyebrow in surprise.

Sitting next to her, Trinity pursued her lips while she read the proposal. She looked to be in her seventies, the wrinkles on her face led Azix to believe she wore an eternal scowl. Trinity reminded him of a strict teacher he once had who chided him over everything he did. She finished reading before she looked up at Azix, "Yes, quite an endeavor. This is a lot you are asking of teachers, I don't think we have enough to support this idea."

Artemis chuckled from across the table, "That is true, but it is also true that these are some good ideas. Wei told me that you intend to contribute personally to this initiative, is that correct?" Seeing Azix nod, Artemis bridged his hands and rested his chin upon them as he looked closer at the magician. "What is it you expect to get out of all this?"

The old man got right to the point, which took Azix by surprise. There was intelligence in the older man's eyes that he had not been prepared for. "Honestly? I hope to give the children in the slums a chance, while also raising the standards for what is taught to all students. I want every child to have the chance to be prepared for whatever we leave behind for them. I expect that it will be tough to provide this at first, but I believe that with time and work, the reforms will help build a better future."

Catalina smirked, "An idealist. That is not a bad thing sometimes. While I see the possibility of more children creating a shortage of teachers, I do see that there is focus on them learning trades early. If I am reading correctly, it appears that you want them to have them be trained in these professions on-site?"

Azix nodded, "Correct, for example, say they are learning about carpentry, maybe a trip to the carpenter's workshop to watch him work. If they allowed it, maybe have some projects where the students can work on some small tasks. Certainly that would free up some of the teachers while the students are on these....workshops."

Trinity let out a raspy sigh, "Even with that in mind, the resources would hardly be freed up, you are simply rotating the student's schedules. A teacher would still be required to be present to monitor the students."

Artemis spoke up, "The concern is of safety, for the student as well as the host. If we had a facility where these workshops would be hosted, that would alleviate resources. We would hire experienced individuals skilled in their trade to man them. What projects could be sold would create a profit, allowing sustainability. I believe that addresses some of your concerns, Trinity. For now, back to what you said, Azix. I hope you do not mind me saying this, but I find it difficult to imagine someone from Kou caring this much about the youth." Artemis ignored Catalina's scolding looks, he did not appear concerned in the slightest that he may have crossed a line.

Artemis' gaze bore into Azix's eyes making the magician feel vulnerable. It seemed like the man was reading Azix's very soul. Strengthening his mask to hide that he felt exposed, Azix laughed at the older man's words. "I imagine it is hard to believe." His face sobered and he returned Artemis' look. "I have always been known as an oddball in Kou. I understand your views of Kou may not be pretty and I will not ask you to change them. I give you my word that my only goal with these reforms is for children to be given the opportunity to learn to defend themselves and to learn the lessons that will help them in the future. When I first came to Remano, I visited the slums and I did not like what I saw. Children less than eight years old, starving, who did not know to read or write. If they were robbed or bullied, they were unable to protect themselves..." He trailed off, the anger in his eye at the memories was evident for all to see.

The old man chuckled, "Such passion." The waitress came up at that moment and he winked at Azix, "Let us set aside business for now and eat. Afterwards we shall tour both Catalina's and Trinity's schools."

Azix smiled at the old man, "Agreed!" He waited as the others ordered their meals before ordering a steak with some tea. The conversation over lunch was mostly small talk, the three educators shared stories of different troublemakers they had taught. By the time the food had arrived, Azix had heard several tales of how devious children could be.

While they walked to visit Catalina's school down the road, Azix reflected on the conversation so far. Trinity seemed opposed to the ideas Azix had presented and focused on the amount of resources available. Catalina did not seem opposed to the idea, yet she did not show any enthusiasm either. Artemis was clearly interested in Azix's proposal, but he seemed more interested in Azix as a person. Out of all the candidates, Artemis was Azix's choice at the moment.

They arrived in front a three-story stone building with elaborate gardens surrounding it. Elaborate designs with fine detail were etched into the grey stone walls. Great care was put into the appearance of the school, giving it a prestigious air. Catalina led them through the school, pointing out different art and fancy details about the school. She also presented some of the children in the classes. Most, Azix noticed, were the children of various members of the aristocracy and wealthy individuals.

He also noticed that each floor was separated based on the parent's social rank, each higher floor having better educational materials. Azix hid his distaste of the inequality behind a polite smile, acting impressed when Catalina pointed out different things that she considered of interest. This was a school that catered to position and appearances, not the kind of school Azix wanted. By the time they had finished the tour, Azix was glad to be moving onto Trinity's school.

Comparing between the schools from the outside, Trinity's school was less grand. The decorations and gardens were just enough to allow it to be considered a prestigious school. The inside was barren of fancy art giving it a cold and hollow air. The facilities for the students were equal and it sported several vast libraries filled with books of every sort. Gauging by Trinity's attitude so far, Azix guessed that she kept a tight budget to afford the best materials possible to devote to education. While he did not like her as a person, Azix had to respect the way she ran her school. Everyone was treated as a student, devoid of their outside rank.

After the tour was complete, Trinity and Catalina bid Azix a good day to resume their duties. Wei Tenji led Azix and Artemis to a park to rest their feet while they sat on a bench. They were silent for a few moments before Artemis turned to Azix. "So, what did you think of the schools? Be honest."

Azix combed his fingers through his hair and leaned back against the bench. "Catalina's school is...fancy, but it seems focused on social worth rather than knowledge. If you read my proposal, that is not something I am looking for. On the other hand, Trinity appears to run a strict school full of knowledge. I would like something warmer, but that is closer to the kind of school I want available."

Wei Tenji leaned forward to look at Azix from around Artemis, "I agree with your observations. I bet you are wondering why I showed you those two women as candidates when Artemis is the better choice."

Azix tilted his head, it was true that he wondered about Catalina with the style of school she ran. It was also true that he had wondered at the choice of Trinity until he saw her school.

Artemis grunted, "Catalina is wonderful with people and is good with the little details. She focuses on appearances because it sells, the kind of parents she deals with pay for the presentation, not necessarily the true value. Given focus to a system where the quality of education is the higher focus, she can switch gears. Trinity is great with managing money and has many years of teaching. Her strict nature gets results, she expects the best from students and gets it."

His eyes sparkled, as if remembering a fond memory. "When I was younger, after a few years of teaching, I started to become jaded. Sometimes kids are not the most respectful of individuals. A co-worker I respected noticed and gave me a piece of advice. 'If you have higher expectations, the kids respond to that and try to fufill them. If you expect them to be bastards, they will be bastards happily.' In my experience, I found he was right."

Azix thought back to his time in the Kou court, remembering times when he had retaliated at people because he knew they thought he was worthless. He remembered thinking, 'What's the point of trying to prove my worth.'

Wei Tenji's voice brought him out of his thoughts. "Artemis, what do you think of Azix?"

Artemis' face grew serious, but Azix could see a smile in the man's eyes. "I think he is Kou scum," Artemis cracked a grin, "But his heart is in the right place, I can see it in his eye. I am sure Cat and Trinity will be willing to help me."

Wei Tenji giggled at the confused expression on Azix's face. "I may have misled you, this was not an interview for them, but for you. Artemis has tried to reform education a few times, but has gotten blocked by politics. Then with the recent change, here you are, fighting for the same thing. He wanted to see your ideas and see what kind of person you were before working with you. Catalina and Trinity will work with him to manage the reform with their skills. Is this acceptable?"

A smile curled on Azix's lips, "That was devious, Wei Tenji. Of course, I agree. I think Artemis is wise and would be the best person to head the initiative." He clasped the elder man's hand and shook it.

Artemis gripped Azix's hand tight, "Thank you for the kind words and getting this reform passed. I am glad I can finally get some changes made.

After an hour of chatting amongst each other, discussing things that would need to be done to put things in motion, Wei Tenji left to handle Council members. Shortly after, Artemis wished Azix a good evening, leaving Azix to watch the sun set over Reim. Finally, Azix had found a way to make a mark on the world. Content, Azix rested his head in his hands behind his back as he watched the colors dance over the horizon.

[2,135/500]

-exit-

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

A small figure of a girl peeked around the corner of a building, using the alley as cover as she listened intently to the conversation. She had been following the group at a distance and taking mental note of everything said and done. She would report this later, right now her only task was to watch and listen. She took care to remember the names of all of the individuals, their appearance and what pieces of their personality she could determine from their words and actions and what others said about them. She never knew exactly what information would be useful later and what exactly the person that hired her wanted to know. She was nothing if not efficient, though, and would write everything down as soon as she was able to.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum