You are not connected. Please login or register

Start of something beautiful (social/plot)

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ustad

Ustad
C-Tier
C-Tier

The architect and the sculptor had been at a dinner with the client and patron that they had been working for the past couple of months. Only it was not the patron and the meal was far from pleasant as they soon lost consciousness as they were drugged. They were not aware what was happening even, until they had waken up.

Ustad would and found himself in some sort of shed, shackles as round his feet that were attached to a hook that was anchored into the floor. Several chains leading from it to about a dozen or so pairs of ankles with scared or mournful eyes looking from him to each other. It was clear on that moment that the duo had been shanghaied, drugged and taken away and forced to work, slavery.

Ustad was nervous, twiddling with his thumbs to try to settle his anxiety as he thought about how to react to this situation. He was not sure where he was, where Josser was or even what his purpose was supposed to be. He had come to the assumption that is was connected to creating art since that was what they had been tasked to do before all of this. Now his scene of location and situation has changed drastically and the architect was not handling it well.

He was in the process of a panic attack when a hand would rest on his shoulder. “it's alright. Just breath and clear your mind” the voice was clam and soothing enough that Ustad was able to do as he was told. Taking a few deep, slow breaths his mind would begin to clear from the fog of distress. He would turn to look at the man who had helped him down from the clouds.

Sitting next to the architect was a thin man with long, unkempt black hair and large, round spectacles. He appeared to be of Kou descent and even had a unique tattoo of an octopus done in the Kou style of tattooing. Looking closer, the architect was able to notice ink under his skin and the calluses of an artist, this man was an artist like himself and Josser, a painter.

There is no point in panicking or struggling right now. We are all in the same situation and there is no chance of escape yet. May as well wait and see what is required of us. Don't you think?” The painter would be right. Ustad understood that in a situation like this it was best to stay rational still. He was practically a slave by this point but it may not be that bad. So far they had a architect, a sculptor and a painter as their captives. Judging by the appearance of the others, they were a mix of artists and workers, all in good shape still so none have been here long. He still had a few of his possessions on him so they were not concerned about the captives fighting back and such so it was rather it was pointless or they had plenty that they could afford to lose some. Either way they would have to wait and watch.

“I am Dasom by the way. I am a painter and tattoo artist from Kou.”
it not surprise Ustad that he was also a fellow artist. “I am Ustad, the architect for Merridia”  the arrogant architect said it like this because to him he was the sole architect of the country. That meaning that he was the best in Merridia despite not exactly proving that yet. He was definitely an artist who was full of himself. Dasom on the other hand was more laid back in the view of great or average. He focused solely on improving his art for himself more so than others. He was a bit different compared to Ustad and Josser who loved the spot light and attention he gets for his art.

So I am assuming that you received a commission from a client and when you completed it they invited you to dinner and you woke up here?” ustad figured that would prove to be the case but wanted to confirm it from Dasom himself. “Yes, that is exactly what happened. They even wanted a color of paint that I had to go to a difficult region to collect the materials to make.” After this several others in the chain gang would say similar things. A couple of them were artists as well but a majority were laborers, often part of a full company before they ended up here.

So it is clear that we have been captured by a large group of the underworld, perhaps a bandit chieftain or some plains warlord, perhaps even a noble. They are gathering all of us to build something large. What I find interesting is that they are including lesser artists like sculptors and painters here when we are focusing on a structure.” Some of the artists groaned, complained or rolled their eyes at the comment of lesser artists. It went without saying that most artists had some biased options about other branches of art which created a natural rivalry between most of them.

They would continue conversing back and forth, trying to figure out what was going on here but also to keep nerves down. After about an hour, a rotund man wearing a brown chef's hat came in tossing them bowls and giving them porridge from a large pot before reaching into his deep pockets and slipping 2 boiled eggs in each bowel. This took the group by surprised, besides Ustad of course who did not care what he ate. If they were slavers they would of course make sure they eat but would not waste money and time on food like this, focusing mostly on pure sustenance instead of flavor. Perhaps they were wanting to keep them happy by giving them good food instead of gruel. If so then it would be more hopeful that they would be let go at the end of this.

After they had consumed their nutrion they would be led from the tent to a large open area where they would gather with other groups, probably a few hundred people in total so far. Ustad and Dasom’s group would be right next to Josser who was ecstatic to see his roommate and assistant. “Ustad! It is great to see you safe. I was afraid that with your sour personality that you would have been beaten or something.” As much as the architect detested people, he has grown fond of the sculptor and enjoyed the man as a roommate and perhaps even a friend.

Once they had all gathered up together a large muscular man with wild, unkempt red hair would stand on a podium surrounded by bandits that were all armed with swords, spears and the like. None of them seemed rusted and worn like you would think for run of the mill bandits. Perhaps they had some kind of financial backing? The red hair was most likely the chieftain of this band or the very least another figure head for someone else. He were an emerald green chest plate made in reiman style and seamed to carry no weapons at his side. Perhaps he was one of the fanalis race. Or at the least someone confident in their hand to hand combat skills.

Attention guests of my quaint little camp!” his voice boomed like thunder, able to reach all of the group despite their size. “I am sorry for the abruptness in your arrival here. I would have liked to bring you all willingly but this seemed like a far more suitable and quicker option. I had to see that those I chose were capable so I tested most of you, the rest being just laborers. You see I have a project, a grand plan in fact that will affect the whole body of land that we are on. I have a plan for a grand wall that will stretch from the south coastline to the northern. This wall will split the Great plains in twain. Since you all will be the ones to bring my dream to fruition I will tell you my reasoning and belief for this. I being a bandit want it chiefly want it for money and control, I will not lie to you about this. Building a large wall will make it harder for people to traverse freely from the nations that are on either side. If it's large enough, most won't be able to climb it and those who can are far too few and too far apart. That and it will take time and money to get a ship and crew. By having way points set all along the wall we can make those passing though them to pay tolls and take as much or as little money from them as we want. But that is not the only reason. We can set up areas around the wall that can serve as townships or even cities where people can be safe but also be under our rule and rely on us for food and protection which will give us more income. Of course this will mean more people joining my clan of bandits and will take dozens of years if not more. But I will treat you all fairly and eventually you all can even be let go after working for awhile. I may be a bandit but I am one for more and power not out of cruelty. You all just have to put up with work for a couple of years at most. That is not so bad now is it?”

A majority of the captives were clearly not happy with his reasoning or closing sentence. Odds are, even in the best conditions, both environment wise and health wise several of them were going to perish, if not all of them by the time that the couple of years he plans to work them are up. They were already protesting or complaining, all except for a small few. Ustad would grin at this opportunity that was graced upon him and Josser. Here he was being given the chance to build something on a grand scale that the whole world would know about. That and he would not have to worry about money or supplies since they should be provided by these bandits. He would probably not be given the credit but that did not matter. He did not do this for fame but for the art.

Josser caught the glint in his roommate's eyes and knew what he was thinking. Being the more vocal of the duo, he would raise his hand before speaking “now will we be given creative liberties in creating the wall. It seems you are solely interested in the wall being made itself so could we create statues or paint as we see fit? Also will there be some way to show who made this, or will you take all the credit for yourself? I know I myself and my friend Ustad would like are names known for attributing to this project. Especially if we die. Also if we are willing to do this can we be set free of captivity you have put us in?

The Bandit Chieftain, who introduced himself as Marx, found himself pausing for a brief moment, taken back by the question. He honestly did not expect anyone to willingly comply or want to do this even. “Ah, um..Yes. Yes! As long as you keep it in a consistent style and theme I am not picky as long as my wall is made. Just the sheer size alone will be intimidating. But I'd you decide to add murals or sculptures than I support it! As for acknowledgement, yes! There will be plaques along the length to commemorate the work you and those after you have done. As for the setting you free I cannot do that unfortunately. What is to stop you from fleeing or attacking once you are free?”

This strange interaction between captive and captor sent confusion through the ranks of both bandits and workers. They would start conversing and soon people would start to ask similar questions related to the art and construction of the project. Ustad would nod at Josser who would turn to speak to the fellow captives. “My fellow artists and creators! I know this is not the best situation since we are here against our will but hear me out. They have fed us well so far and have yet to beat us or any cruel action as such. They want us to create a magnificent structure that will affect the whole world. We as artists should be thankful for this opportunity! Our goals are to create and make art! We do not do this for the money we do it for the fame as well as bringing life into this world that is unlike anything else. So let us work together and make the best of this gift given to us. If we work well on this we may yet lose these chains soon enough!”

This was something Ustad had thought himself but did not have the gift of speaking to say it. The captives would begin to nod and talk in agreement. Almost everyone there was on board with this project now which was much to the Surprise of Marx the Chieftain. Soon the groups would be dismissed and able to just relax the rest of the day and chat. There was no reason to start then working today. So they would take it easy until tomorrow. Once the sun rises on the next day their construction will begin.

WC 2305/2000

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Social approved, don't forget to collect your xp

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum