You are not connected. Please login or register

Must We All Fade Away? [Marax]

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Must We All Fade Away? [Marax] Empty Must We All Fade Away? [Marax] 10/12/22, 09:19 pm

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

In the golden afternoon, Zubaidah wandered alone through a half-excavated temple at Lamet. Another project from the Ash Company, here again she was in a place of Parthevian dead. In Tisifun, the dead are buried in view of the sunshine, black vaults in a land of red and gold. In Lamet, the dead are companions of desert and white marble. She wondered which one Kosrow would have chosen for himself, but stopped herself before she reminisced any further. Silence clung upon this temple like a burial shroud; silence until a setar-player brought hand to instrument.

In one short moment, Zubaidah could feel some semblance of life breathed into this place of Parthevian dead, like an oasis in the desert. She could feel the dusty Kavir beneath her feet, sand pouring down each red-tinged dune, and taste the desert wind upon her lips. She wondered whether those living in Lamet had felt and tasted the same when they ventured into the Kavir for their Earth-Mother celebrations. She could see the same braziers where fires had once burned with coloured flames; the same columns where red and pink had once formed beautiful inscriptions; the same statues where priestesses had once placed burnt offerings of beef and mutton. But they were all faded, as all things are wont to do.

Fade away and disappear.

mag: 340/340 | stam: 390/390

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 07/08/23, 04:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

A dissonant sound interrupted the poignant scene. The scaping of metal tools against stone and the ping of hammer strikes echoed from deeper into the ruins. The noise wasn't continuous. It would stop every now and then for a short few seconds before continuing to grate away at the ears again. Should curiosity draw Zubaidah deeper in to find the source she would eventually stumble upon a creature there in the darkness of shadow. Some of the pillars in the temples construction had been redundant and among them some had been carved into unsightly visages of some kind of troll or ogre. The ancient Parthevian inscriptions that had once graced the noble pillars totally desecrated by this twisted art sense. Sure enough, the culprit was caught redhanded too. A short and dwarf-like fellow with a large brown beard and a metal helmet was hunched over there chiseling away at his latest work when Zubaidah arrived. Though he didn't notice her at first, he startled once he did.

Must We All Fade Away? [Marax] Xf65ciW
"E-Eeep! A human!...W-Where you to one playing that pretty music earlier?"

The man reached up to protect his statue in the making as if fearing she would steal or damage it, but despite this he remained relatively calm. After a short moment he recovered his composure and asked curiously if the setar playing had come from Zubhaidah.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Entering the Lamet ruins, Zubaidah was more than distraught when the Parthevian artwork - or lack thereof - came into view. ‘What have you done?! Don’t you realise that this particular site had one of the few remaining examples of Kosrovian art-styles?! The entire area around Lamet was even secured by Ash and Toads together in order to ensure that we could preserve these remnants of Udrian culture…

As she said those words aloud, however, Zubaidah remembered that Hashashin personnel were placed at every entrance into the excavation site. ‘Wait, how the fuck did you even get in here?!’ She then considered his own words, confusion coming over her mind in waves and floods. ‘And did you just call me ‘human’, like you aren't yourself? Well, you certainly aren’t Fanalis or Imuchakk, are you! So then what exactly are you…

How about this? You tell me a little about yourself. In return, I’ll not consider anything as regards you or your sculptures just yet, alright?

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The already cautious and frightened creature jumped when Zubaidah started yelling at him. He seemed torn between running away and staying behind to defend his precious artwork. In the end he jumped onto the pillar he was working on and clung to it desperately despite the fearful expression he held until finally all the angry shouting was done. He peeked an eye open and looked over cautiously to give Zubaidah a blank look. "So...you aren't the one who was playing that pretty music?" Asked the dwarf innocently. The little bastard hadn't listened to a word she said and was clinging onto this seemingly unimportant question. "I liked that music. Helped me get into my flow! Oh how the muses dance when there is music!"

The dwarf then hopped down from the statue in progress and picked his tools back up. Ding! Ding! Ding! The ping of hammer blows on chisel and stone sounded once again, but this time it was with a rhythm that poorly matched the sitar playing but was close enough that one could tell he was trying to emulate it. The little dwarf became easily drawn into his work as he "played" and soon forgot Zubaidah was even there again. His focus entirely on carving out yet another abomination of a statue. Right before Zubaidah's very eyes his chisel was chipping away bits of history to become debris on the floor.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Even though she was near her breaking-point, Zubaidah understood that violence was no answer here. It was rarely an answer in her textbook, but that required her to think further about how she could solve this issue. Luckily for herself and Parthevia, Zubaidah enjoyed nothing more than thinking.

If you liked it so much, why don’t you sit down and have a listen then?’ She took out her setar and readied herself for another song. ‘Maybe you could sing me a song about yourself instead?’ She activated Echo Chamber as she spoke, before launching into a slow and steady melody. ‘Come, why don’t you sit down and join me?’ She would cast another Echo Chamber on top, thinking that the combined effects might be more convincing with her Silver Tongue.

-----

cast Echo Chamber once [-10 magoi]
cast Echo Chamber again [-10 magoi]
reinforced through her Silver Tongue
hoping that Shoes from Heaven applies as well

mag: 320/340 | stam: 390/390

Band of the Sylvan Siren:

Profession Traits:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Blissful joy came over the dwarf and he became even more entranced by the secrets of the stone. But suddenly he stopped swinging his hammer and trembled. The strange creature's eyes followed a chunk of pillar tumble to the floor and took in the sight of debris around his feet. Overcome with a sense of loss and frustration towards the desecration, he collapsed to his knees and burst into tears. "Oh no, what have I done!? I've done a terrible thing!" Cried the dwarf seeming to only understand the weight of Zubaidah's feelings towards the pillars once they were magically thrust upon him. But amidst the crying of the diminutive stone mason there was a sudden cut to silence as the dwarf vanished before Zubaidah's ever eyes. No attempts to find the strange little man turned up any results and upon leaving the room and returning, the statues were all gone. Or rather, the pillars had been restored as though the stone mason had never been there in the first place.

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Days later in Zubaidah's personal estate she would receive a most unusual guest. One that had somehow managed to find his way into her private quarters no less. A young boy, seeming to be no more than 10, was waiting there for her one evening seated on the bed casually. He greeted her with a smile and the gemstone embedded in his forehead gleamed in the light as he shifted side to side with excitement. "There you are, I've been waiting for you!" The child would exclaim cheerfully before hopping up to his feet and places his hands upon his hips.

"I am the djinn, Marax. After passing my test, I've chosen you to inherit the rukh and will of my former king. Interested?"

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

With her excavations at Lamet finished, Zubaidah had gratefully retired into the Mansur estate on the Amakh outskirts. Far enough from Tisifun’s hustle and bustle, there was some hope that she might rest a while before returning for work at the Ash Company. Little did she know that fate had not planned rest for purple-haired Zubaidah. Nay, fate had planned something much more exciting.

Traipsing upstairs, book in one hand and wine-glass in the other, Zubaidah heard the boyish Yakutetsu before he spoke, ‘Settle down, rukh! Why so loud today?’ She smiled gently, listening with full attention to the rukh’s notes, until she was interrupted by the self-proclaimed Marax. ‘What the fu - ’ Discouraged from throwing her wine, lest it stain the mahogany floor, she gulped it down in one and swapped the wine-glass for a spear, ‘How the hell did you get in he -

Even as she complained, however, Zubaidah heard the rukh hum contentedly about this Marax in ways that she had never experienced before. ‘You called yourself Marax, didn’t you?’ Listening to the rukh resound with Marax’s name, her caution began wearing off until she was left with only curiosity. ‘I have been researching that Dungeon ever since the Reiman Archaeological Society informed me that they had no information about it...’ She reached towards the bookshelf beside her bed, taking out a worn-out journal, ‘All I was able to find out was that it predated all known Dungeons, if my informants from the Plainspeople are to be believed. Of course, that would make it the first Dungeon ever raised. If it was conquered, however, then how have you ended here?

How have you lost your king candidate?

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The child stood in silence as his chosen candidate read the flow of rukh and quickly found a calm frame of mind. The djinn smiled and narrowed his eyes. Her quick wit and willingness to wield it against others was why he liked her, but the reason why he chose her was ultimately guided by the rukh. When the fated King Candidate asked her questions the child made an expression far beyond his apparent age. His eyes gazed beyond now, into a far distant past even before his dungeon had been raised. The ages had been long and lonely but before even that there had once been a King which Marax had lost. His thoughts then flashed forward to his first King Candidate and he too had been lost, though in a different fashion.

"You could say that, but you could also say that he is here. His name was Yakuroro. A magician born to a tribe of Imuchakk."

The djinn smiled meaningfully at Zubaidah but instead of elaborating he moved the conversation to more about Yakuroro. "Fate demanded a price of my first candidate which he could not accept. His pain and anger twisted him onto a foolish path of self destruction..." The deep regret could he heard of his voice. The child sighed and shook his head with closed eyes. When he opened them again, they shot a heavy glare meeting eyes with Zubaidah. "If the black birds of destruction try to seduce you, I suggest you remind yourself of what that got him."

The sharpness on his face then softened and he moved to step forward but fell to one knee. His face congealed in pain for a moment and he stopped breathing. After a few seconds he began to gasp for air and his face eased. Standing to his feet, he had a look of determination on his face. "I don't have much time left." The gemstone in his forehead lit up and a swell of magoi surged around his body. It all flowed into the gem and a magic circle shone brightly from within.

From the magic circle emerged a small grouping of rukh. Three tiny little birds of light that desperately seemed to cling together. But they were feeble and fleeting. It was the rukh of a person. But it was incomplete and cut off from the whole. A tiny fragment of Yakuroro's rukh from before he fell into depravity. It seemed like it could float off to rejoin the great flow at any moment but some indomitible will kept it struggling on here.

That tiny flock of rukh carried in it an imprint of Yakuroro's will. A conviction that fate had chosen him. A sense of love towards family and friends. The habit of hiding his intentions and lying to friends for good reasons. These three core aspects of his ego weighed heavy in those three birds of light and they were slowly making their way over to Zubaidah. The child seemed incredibly drained from this act to the point that his body gave out. With his dying breath he hoarsely croaked.

"Accept the rukh...of my former King Candidate...If you can bare it...my power is yours."

Notes:

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Thematic Music:

She watched the boyish Yakutetsu in silence, attention fixed upon Marax’s words. Zubaidah heard the rukh hum quieter when Yakuroro’s name was mentioned, as if mourning his death and depravity, but she noticed more how Marax sighed. She had not expected a fairy-tale ending, but it felt almost infuriating that this Yakuroro had followed the same narrative which Jynx and Arthur had both taken.

Every person is a star.’ She felt these words spill from her mouth like a wine-bottle uncorked. ‘I will not let anyone extinguish that light.’ She might have said these words time and time again, but something felt different this time. ‘I cannot let anyone extinguish it.’ It was like another voice was speaking in tandem with her own…

…and the words no longer felt empty.

She looked towards her fingertips where three birds of rukh had settled. I think we may have stumbled into quite a good fortune, my friend! She had always found it difficult to discern the words from individual rukh, but she now heard them loud and clear. If it's a king's word you need to stop, then you've got one right here! They were so comprehensible that it seemed as if an audio-tape was playing inside her mind…

some lecture within Magnostadt’s walls, a chance meeting with a noble Kounese magician, exploring Marax with some soft-spoken man, bonding with a turtle-like chimaera, a prison break-out in imperial Zou, investigating a secretive Balbaddian organisation, an excavation into Alma Torran artefacts, helping a familiar face take power within Reim, taking a cursed arrow from Kou’s previous emperor...

So absorbed in these memories was she, however, that Yakutestu’s body fell lifeless into her arms. ‘Marax?!’ Shaking him in confusion, she would call for Batuttah and the Mansur household with uncharacteristic distress. ‘Akatetsu…’ As she spoke this unfamiliar name, tears would begin rolling down her cheeks without understanding the reason why.

Dwell in my body… Marax.

And she would not notice Marax’s magic circle engrave itself into her Mansur family ring.

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

As the foreign rukh entered Zubdaidah's own internal flow there would be a moment where she found herself in a strange place. It was as if she had a form but was all at once formless. There was no physicality to her presence at all. This was the space inside her own heart and soul. A private place, one where her truest self lay. Inside was every secret and trauma, every love and passion, everything that made Zubadai who she was. But now there was a guest intruding on this inner sanctuary.

A large figure appeared, looming like a giant and bringing with it the will of another. This figure seemed mighty at a glance, but a closer look and she would see that he was frail and weak. Or perhaps better said, incomplete. The figure was faceless with fragments of the body missing all over. His form wavered like a flickering candle and blurry lines of broken rukh could be seen at the edges of his missing pieces. This was the remnant of Marax's former master, and it was not willing to submit.

No mouth to speak of or words to reason with came from the phantom. Only a sense of overbearing dominance and willpower was expressed by the fragment. But this was not its domain. Zubaidah was master here and this was merely the remnants of a dead man. One which had no real power here. But still it stood there proudly radiating a sense that fate had chosen him. That Zubaidah was simply a new vessel with which to forge his path, oblivious to the fact that it had long been cut short.

After confronting this figure, Zubaidah would find herself back to consciousness. On the floor across from her, a corpse. The child to be exact. The gemstone in his forehead was dimming out with the last of its light. Crack! It then splintered with cracks and fell to pieces. The child's body soon followed suit, breaking apart as if it had been made of stone. Soon the body was simply a pile of dust which then further still dissolved into loose magoi as the last of the magic maintaining the homunculus faded leaving Zubaidah alone with her thoughts.

-Exit-

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum