You are not connected. Please login or register

A True Swordsman[NoM/Chain]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A True Swordsman[NoM/Chain] Empty A True Swordsman[NoM/Chain] 19/04/22, 11:49 am

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Name: A True Swordsman
Job Rank: B
Job Location: Reim
Job Reward: 200xp | 15k huang
Chain Reward: Unlock Warrior Tertiary Class
Job Prerequisites: Paying Debts
Job Overview:
Subduing the debt collectors revealed the senate's plan to vote on a high tax on coliseum tickets tomorrow. All in order to garner more income from the people. When you inform Breaker of this he flies into a rage and informs the public during that day's coliseum matches. The veteran gladiator riles the crowd up into a frenzied mob and leads them towards the senate to riot against the senate's decision. The black rukh surges and the populace marches on the forum holding murder in their hearts. You must confront Breaker before the crowd and defeat him before convincing the mob to step down. Disperse the black rukh and bring faith in Solomon's path back to the people by getting the senate to vote down the tax proposal. In doing so, earn Breaker's acknowledgement that you have indeed become a true swordsman.

Enemy Name: Breaker
Needed damage to take down: A-tier
Abilities: An experienced gladiator with numerous fights under his belt. Breaker is feared by other combatants for his tendency to break his opponent's weapons. Breaker wields a C-tier gauntlet on his left arm, a B-tier shortsword in his left hand, and a C-tier tower shield in his right hand.

Brace ~  Breaker raises his tower shield and blocks up to 1 A-tier's worth of damage.

Deflecting Parry ~ Breaker steps into an attack and flashes his left arm through the air using his gauntlet to deflect an incoming attack blocking up to 1 B-tier worth of damage.

Crushing Rush ~ Breaker performs a wild downwards slash capable of dealing B-tier cutting damage.

Pincer Blow ~ After blocking a strike with his shield, Breaker slashes down with his blade dealing B-tier damage to his opponent's weapon in an attempt to break it.

It was hardly dawn when Zion finally returned to Breaker's barracks. The silver haired rookie had spent the night subduing cutthroat debt collectors, but he lacked the air of a returning hero. Instead there was a somber expression beneath the masked gladiator's many wrappings of bandages. The news he had interrogated from those thugs left him feeling uncertain. Apparently there were members of the senate was pulling the strings behind the cutthroats. It was bad enough that the government of Reim was involved in fleecing money from its people through underground betting on coliseum matches. It was worse to find out that those men behind the thugs had ordered an escalation in measures taken to collect on those debts. Roughing a man up to remind him of his dues was one thing. It was another to threaten to burn his house down and take his wife and daughter as payment. But all that was just a prelude to yet another move on the senate's part to further extract wealth from the citizenry.

"You took your time getting back. Was the wine at the Purple Triumph that good?"

A familiar gruff voice broke Zion from his thoughts as he reached the door to his room. Breaker had emerged from his own lodging without the rookie even noticing. The veteran fighter had a cheeky grin on his face as he crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe. Zion forced a weak smile in return, eyes weary from the long night. But it wasn't enough to fool Breaker. The man could tell something weighed heavily on Zion's mind, and it wasn't just a hangover. The man looked Zion up and down, his grin fading into a frown.

"What happened? You get into some kind of trouble after I left?"

If only the man were a stranger, it would be easy to lie. But Zion owed Breaker too much. The man was already privy to Zion's closest held secret and hadn't given him any trouble in helping keep it hidden. So Zion sighed and gestured for Breaker to follow him into the room. The man and boy sat opposite each other as Zion recounted last night's events up until the thugs had been defeated. Breaker glared at Zion clearly upset. "I told you not to get involved in disputes as a gladiator. What do you do? That very night you stick your nose into one hell of a mess. Well, at least you didn't embarrass yourself and get beaten. But now you've made some powerful enemies. " The disappointment in Breaker's voice was evident. A bit of pride snuck in as he commented on his student's victory, but the tone dropped once more as he hinted at knowing just who it was backing those debt collectors.

"So you know the people running those gambling dens are members of the senate?"

Zion was a bit surprised. He thought that if Breaker would be upset if he knew but the old fighter seemed unsurprised. "Of course I know. Everyone knows! I don't like it, but I can't do anything about it either. Besides, the people who choose to gamble on debt are bringing those troubles down onto themselves. It isn't my business. As long as nobody is asking me to fix a fight, I'll hold my tongue. So should you, if you know what's good for ya' kid..." Breaker leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes feeling frustrated that his pupil had gotten wrapped up in the underbelly of the coliseum. He had preferred if Zion didn't see this dark side lest it skew his perception of the coliseum's glory.

Seeing Breaker's attitude towards the whole thing made Zion hesitate on sharing the rest of what he'd heard. After a brief silence between the two he finally looked Breaker in the eye and spoke up. "There is more to the story...after I beat their leader I spent some time squeezing him for information. I learned more than just who backed them. I found out why they needed to collect debts so aggressively...Turns out, the senate plan to pass two laws tomorrow. One that will put an end to the gambling dens." The words made Breaker raise a brow in disbelief. "Impossible, they make too much money off the damn enterprise." To this, Zion shook his head, "That's the thing. The second law is going to be a tax of coliseum tickets. Apparently they decided that it wasn't profitable enough to get funds from desperate gamblers. Instead they want to get a bit of money from everyone."

*BANG*

The arm of Breaker's wooden chair was shattered to bits sending splinters flying all about. The man had smashed it with a quivering fist as his eyes went wife with fury. "Those greed stricken bastards!" The old man had always looked grumpy, but this was Zion's first time seeing him outright angry. Face red with rage, Breaker got up and headed for the door. "You stay here, I've got a match to prepare for." Said the man over his shoulder. "But what about the senate?" Zion called after the man. "That's a problem for us Reiman people. A foreigner like you has no need to worry about it. The people of this country have a way of handling things ourselves..." The veteran said in a foreboding tone. The words made Zion think back to what Breaker had told him yesterday about the power held in the hands of Reim's people.

After Breaker left, Zion had laid down to rest. Tired from being up all night he fell into a deep sleep until the afternoon with the sound of his door slamming open woke him. It was Bear, the large gladiator which trained under Breaker alongside the other nine novice gladiators. "Rookie, wake up! Something big's going down!" The booming voice would have stirred Zion even if the slamming door had not. The rookie groaned and rubbed his aching head as he sat up. "Not so loud, Bear. What's going on?" Zion didn't seem all too interested as he reached for a pitcher of water and poured himself a cup. "It's Breaker! He's gone and riled the whole coliseum up into a frenzy! Something about a new tax? The whole damn crowd has turned into a mob and they're marching on the forum right now!" Bear spilled the news in a panic. "Everyone else has already left, come on. If we don't move now we might miss the action!" The large man then turned and left not waiting for Zion's response.

For a moment Zion sat there in silence. This was far from was he had expected when Breaker claimed the people of Reim had their ways. The man had told him not to get involved so maybe it was best to just stay put. Such thoughts did little to ease Zion's nagging conscience however and soon he was up and rushing out the door hoping that he wasn't too late. As Zion left the barracks he cast his gaze over the city and saw a dark cloud hanging overhead in the distance. Just yesterday he had seen a few pockets of black birds fluttering about, but now it was more like a giant storm cloud slowly meandering its way from the direction of the coliseum to the forum. A terrible anxiety formed in Zion's stomach and he hastened his step even further. "Don't do anything stupid, Breaker..." The silver haired youth muttered to himself as he worried that his mentor had fallen under the destructive influences of those black birds of depravity.

"Sorry, but I'm breaking our promise temporarily again."

Zion muttered as he kicked off the ground and the Storm Kitsune's magic gave him flight as powerful storm winds carried the magician skyward. With the speed of Zion's flight it did not take him long to arrive above the mob. Looking at it on the street level would already make the gathering of angry citizen's seem large. But from up above like this he could see just how vast the teeming throngs of rioters were. Everywhere the mob passed, trashed out streets were left behind. Black rukh swirled eagerly throughout the crowds. Endless shouting echoed throughout the city. That is when Zion spotted Breaker. The man was at the head of the crowd and had his sword drawn pointing forward as he led the people in the march on the senate. Nobody dared to stand in their way, those who failed to part aside for them were either absorbed into the mob joining in their fervent rage or trampled underfoot.

Things were bad, but it wasn't too late to stop them! Zion had a feeling that if the crowd were to reach the senate then the amount of blood shed today would exceed anything the youth had ever experienced before. Zion had no desire to see the day end doused in crimson rivers. He hurried on and a great powerful gust accompanied him as he descended before the mob. The youth landed from the sky with a blast of wind that washed over Breaker and those leading the crowd. It was strong enough and a big enough shock that they all stopped for a moment. Breaker was first to regain his focus though.

"I told you to stay put, kid. Don't get involved! This is our problem. We're gonna solve it our way!"

Word Count: 1567/1500

Trait:

2A True Swordsman[NoM/Chain] Empty Re: A True Swordsman[NoM/Chain] 24/04/22, 08:02 am

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

As Zion confronted Breaker there was confusion among the masses behind the veteran. Some recognized Zion as Swordking. Some didn't know who he was at all. But most of them were too far back to see and stirred restlessly in bewilderment as to why their march had come to a halt until a game of telephone carried the news back to them. Swordking had arrived and was having a fight with Breaker! Most people were unaware of the relationship between the two flighters. Rather than a mentor and his student facing off it seemed more like an arrogant rookie come to make a name for himself against a veteran. Any other day and there would be plenty among them happy to pay for a chance to see the two fight it out. But today was not one where patience and rational thought prevailed over the mob.

Pushing from behind slowly urged the throngs of people to start moving once more. The citizens started to flow around Breaker and Zion as though the aura around the two were a large stone at the center of a river. it was as though the people could sense the air of violent tension between them as the two clashed with words. "And just where does your way lead!? Can't you see the hunger for bloodshed in their eyes? So you all drag out members of senate and murder them, what then!? Hasn't your country seen enough civil wars!?" The youth was still reluctant to draw his weapon. Breaker on the other hand was driven by rage and the whispers of black rukh which fluttered around him. "Don't act like you understand, kid! Stand down, or you can join the senate and I'll bleed you out right here on the street!" The warrior advanced with his blade leading the way.

Zion grit his teeth and drew his own swords. Gladiator's blade in one hand, Bloody Branch in his off hand. The rookie immediately fell into retreat as Breaker unleashed a crushing rush upon Zion. The young fighter didn't want to believe Breaker was willing to kill him over this. But the madness in the mans eyes was as undeniable as the sensation of impending death Zion felt under the old man's blade. He quickly stepped aside and used a stroke of his own blade to push the attack away. "I don't want to fight you Breaker!" Zion implored the man, but the black rukh ensured the plea fell on deaf ears as Breaker just roared and pressed the attack with a horizontal slash. Zion responded by meeting it with a  cut of his own but Breaker simply used a deflecting parry and neutralized the rookie's move while landing a kiss of steel to his face.

"A coward like you who hides from the world has no right to lecture us about war."

Breaker taunted as he hid behind the shield and Braced against Zion's next few attacks. No matter how Zion slashed and stabbed, wherever he stepped, Breaker's shield  moved to meet him like a sturdy wall. The old man was watching Zion's every move from behind the shield. Waiting for the moment Zion stepped in with a lunge that was too slow and sloppy, too desperate. After blocking with the shield a pincer strike fell as Breaker's blade smashed down onto the Gladiator's Blade nearly breaking it. Zion's wrist could not support the blow and ended up dropping the sword leaving him only his twisted red sidearm. There was no hope to recover his weapon for now as Breaker pressed his advantage and drove the retreating Zion further and further away.

Sparks flew between the two warriors as Zion and Beaker fell silent in their struggle. When the two were shouting at one another the mob was still single mindedly marching past them. But now that there was only the sound of two wills clashing ceaselessly it seemed to cut through all the angry shouting far more effectively. The crowd stopped flowing past them as men and women stopped to watch the two perform a deadly dance that slowly moved in circles despite quick and snappy responses between the two as they exchanged blows. Zion had used a kick to steal back the momentum and now Breaker was sent into an evasive pattern but the man soon held firm like a stone and relied on his trusty shield to break Zion's advance. Neither man nor boy noticed that their bout had already stolen the attention of the people around them.

None among the masses knew all the details behind these two fighters and yet they weight of their conflict seemed to be felt be all who witnessed the dual. Breaker shouldered the responsibility of having stirred up the mob in the first place. It was wrong to call him the leader, the mob had a will of its own after all. But he was its spiritual core, the heart that had given it life. To see him so focused on the fight made them unconsciously feel as though the success or failure of their movement had something to do with the outcome of the battle. Even so, some still found themselves rooting for Swordking secretly within their hearts. The youth was fighting with such desperation against the older fighter. It was obvious he was outmatched and yet he fought on without any sign of despair. Zion's willingness to stand against the black rukh encouraged crowd earned solomon's blessing. White rukh gathered around him at the heart of a great cloud of darkness and his indomitable spirit was spreading that light to others.

Meanwhile, a half dozen cuts had already fallen upon Zion whilst his opponent remained virtually untouched. The rookie fell back panting as he began to feel exhaustion set in. "It's useless, kid. I taught you everything you know about sword fighting. Why don't you use your magic? You're going to die if you don't, ya know." Breaker said grimly as he made slow menacing steps towards him. Zion shot the veteran a cheeky grin and gave a self mocking laugh. "You may be right...ha!...But I made...a promise..." The young warrior then stood up straight and assumed his stance once more holding the Bloody Branch forward and a steely resolve in his eyes accompanying that determined smile.

The sight of it gave Breaker pause. The youth before him was no longer the child he'd first agreed to train. Amidst all the darkness in Breaker's heart, a swelling of pride pushed aside the murderous rage and for a moment he admired the fighter Zion had become. The rookie would not fail to take advantage of his mentor's hesitation. A swift step forward would see Zion pry Breaker's shield away with his free hand and slash a neat cut across the inside of Breaker's wrist. Another kick sent the man falling to the floor as fast as the blade that had dropped from his grip. Zion stood victorious over Breaker, crimson blade still pointing down on the man.  Anyone could see that the veteran had merely shown an unusual moment of weakness. But there was no look of indignation or unacceptance on the old man's face.

"This problem with the senate...do you mind leaving it to me?"

Seeing Zion's growth had already quelled the fury he felt. Knowing his loss, Breaker sighed and gestured to the crowd around them. "If you think you can, kid. But if you think everyone is just going to go home peacefully now, you're dreaming." The man sounded disparaging, but deep down he felt like Zion really might be able to do something. "Don't worry, I'm not that naive." Zion said as he looked up from Breaker sheathing his dagger. Looking back at him no matter where he cast his gaze was a sea of expectant eyes. The heart of the mob was defeated. What Zion did next would decide whether or not the mob turned on him or coalesced around a new cause. He could feel the suffocating weight of their collective gazes and expectations now. Zion felt his throat tighten and his heart beat faster as an awkward silence marked out the time he used to gather his thoughts.

"People of Reim, hear me! I will not deny that the senate is about to impose a great injustice upon you all, nor do I plan to suggest you all lie down and let it happen. I would sooner take up a torch in join you to burn out the corruption plaguing your city!"

Roaring cheers accompanied Zion's declaration and he quickly won the mob over with his words. But before their spirits could raise back into a frenzy Zion called for their ears once more. "Hear me! Hear me, people! I'm not finished!" He could still see the teeming cloud of black rukh around the masses. Zion knew that he could not allow the crowd to begin marching again just yet. "Injustice is worth burning out, but when removing blight from a field you don't burn out the whole harvest! I ask you all to give me a chance to change the senate's decision! Do not allow bloodshed to stain Remano's beauty this day! Have you all not lost enough brother and sisters to strife these past few years!? Lend me your strength and march with me! To the senate!" Zion called to rally the faith in fate around him.

As the mob marched the clouds of black rukh wavered and new pockets of light swelled baring the flag of Solomon's will behind them. The war of destruction versus confidence in the future was taking a turn. Zion led the group to the forum where the senate was in session and signaled for the marching to stop. Soldiers poured out to meet them and soon a standoff between angry citizens and a bulwark of stoic guards formed. Within the forum senators argued among themselves about who it was among them that let news of the new tax slip. Zion's voice echoed in from outside. "What kind of reception is this from the representatives of the people? For the voice of Reim's citizens, you all sure are deaf to its conscience!"

After a few minutes a representative of the senate stepped out to meet with Zion. Under threat to letting the mob loose Zion got the man to return to the senate with their demands. Shortly after a new decree was announced directly to Zion and the mob. Not only was there not to be a new tax of coliseum matches, but the institution of the coliseum itself was designated as being free from taxes. The announcement brought cheers and the last bit of relief on the minds of the people to blow away the lingering clouds of darkness. Black rukh was banished from the masses and the mob dispersed.

Word Count: 3379/1500

Equipment:

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum