You are not connected. Please login or register

A Dancer's Retreat [Zub / Training]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR

A blazing gaze looked down upon Reiman banners, the Sun interested in Trepolis that morning. It was not clear where he might be looking, but it seemed that his golden light was concentrated upon Flavrian’s estate, where Zubaidah was training with the centurion Lukios.

Huh, there’s something wrong…’ As they crossed blades, for the ninth or tenth time in a row, Lukios looked towards Zubaidah with a puzzled expression. ‘Is my form off?’ Tired but playful, stretching her arms from their hour-long session, Zubaidah shared a smile and joking sighs with Lukios.

Nah, quite the opposite.’ He was met with a wider smile from Zubaidah, twirling her spear towards Lukios. ‘So is it too good?

I don’t know if I’d phrase - ’ He was interrupted from a balcony overlooking the courtyard, where Flavrian was watching over their practice. ‘Your form and your manner conflict with one another.

What do you mean?

She received his message with a bit of sass, eyes smouldering towards him, as if challenging Flavrian’s opinion. He did not back down, however, looking down at Zubaidah with his usual stoic expression, marred only by his ruffled collar and untied shoes.

You are well-versed in conventional Reiman and Parthevian spearmanship. I cannot doubt your skills from each school, but your manner does not suit the form taught within either school.

How might I phrase it best?

He paused for a second, thinking about what he meant, before his eyes brightened with an answer.

You are a dancer at heart.

Your manner as a dancer asks for fluidness and spontaneity such that your adherence to Reiman or Parthevian teachings restricts your own combat-style. There is a spear in your hand, but your body does not see it as something organic to its own fluidness.

How might I solve that problem?

Hmm, I doubt that myself or Lukios could provide any solutions, if I am being honest.

I would not call that helpful.

Let me think…’ He glanced towards the study on the other side of the balcony doors, gaze focused towards something unseen. ‘Hmm, you should ask Anna.’ He turned towards Zubaidah, stern and confidant, before he hesitated and his confidence fell. ‘Hmm, but she retired to her dancer’s retreat…

Confusion came upon Zubaidah, before her smile grew even wider and brighter, launching into a string of questions and more questions.

What retreat? Wait, you don’t mean that retreat? How has she even been allowed to host it? She is still under house arrest, is she not?!

One question at a time, please!’ He watched the sky, racking his brain, and flitted between study and clouds in his gaze. ‘First, she was relieved from her house arrest, thanks to your and Caligulas’ help. As for the rest, I am sure that you know the details better than me. All I know is that Anna went away in such a hurry that I can only imagine the fun she has planned. Especially with all the wine she packed for herself…

When he looked back towards Zubaidah, however, Flavrian saw Lukios standing alone in the courtyard. With one glance towards the smiling Lukios, he realised that Zubaidah had gone as soon as he said ‘Anna’.

Well, that was a bit quick, and a bit rude…
340/340 | 537/2000 | 390/390

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 28/04/22, 02:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR

It was the next morning when Zubaidah took formal leave from the Trepolis estate, waves from Maelius and the steward Tiro serving as her farewell. She did not borrow one of Flavrian’s carriages for the journey this time, as she had before, but retrieved Sirrush from his stables. He had been quite surprised when Zubaidah had returned from Parthevia, of course, but Flavrian was more surprised when he had heard her story about silver-haired Sirrush. Indeed, the story was incredible: she had found the automaton looking over where Furcas had once been, as if waiting for her, with a note in its mouth that read,

A pair of wings makes the journey faster.'

Of course, Zubaidah did not encounter the note’s author, but she had an idea about whose hand had been involved - one as metallic as Sirrush itself.

She was acquainted with Sirrush better over the next week, cantering over moors and grasslands. She watched Sirrush painted with sunlight in the day-time, and wondered at the stars passing them both before they cosied themselves for sleep. It was a calm and carefree week, devoted towards Sirrush, and Zubaidah valued the time spent within an unfamiliar Reim. She was not stranded within towns and cities, torn between social and asocial, but allowed the chance to admire the beauty of Reiman nature. After months of hard work, she could canter down old dirt-roads and stare into the blue-grey sky without a care in the world.

It was not long before she entered southern Reim, where the roads widened into fields and meadows. She was less familiar with this area, but Zubaidah admired the lavender by the wayside more than tar and cow-pats, a common sight outside Trepolis. As she rode further south, however, she could feel something resonate within her heart, the lavender and honeysuckle reminiscent of some past memories. She was not given time to wonder what she was feeling before…

She watched the fields and meadows unravel into Anna’s summer-home, a mansion of bright marble, and memories flooded into her mind.

But more than that, she felt a warm feeling come into her heart, as if she was coming home.
340/340 | 902/2000 | 390/390

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 27/04/22, 09:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR
She was greeted in the entrance-hall with some familiar faces, namely her mentors Anna and Ho Lea. She had not even seen the latter since her ventures in Kou, but Zubaidah had written to her about the events in Reim and Parthevia ever since. Indeed, she was more surprised that Anna and Ho Lea knew one another, but the world of entertainment sure was a small one - and one that everyone at Anna’s party hoped would become bigger.

As she finished her introductions, however, including a meeting with her fellow students Fatima, Miriam and Ximena, the room dimmed and the spotlight fell upon centre-stage. There stood Anna herself, a glass held aloft in her hand, gesturing towards the guests that they raise their own drinks. Once they had, she beckoned towards a servant and he carried over an ornate vase, filled with dust and earth, into which she tipped half her glass. In turn, she drank the other half and invited the audience to drink their fill as well.

After she had poured her wine into the vase, staining the contents red, Anna sang something sweet and mysterious. She sang without words, more humming than anything else, but Zubaidah could feel the meaning within her heart and stomach. It resounded throughout her person, shaking her mind and core, her waist moving with the beat. Indeed, as she looked around, Zubaidah found that Anna was joined with all the audience, drunk upon her intoxicating melodies.

In time, the song and white mist retreated from their ears and left them in a content silence. As her song died down, however, Anna raised another glass and called for some dancing. Fatima and several of the others went for their instruments, while Anna introduced Miriam, Ho Lea and Zubaidah and invited them to begin dancing together.

How she had missed this all!

Once they had finished their group performance, however, Ho Lea continued by herself. It was slow at first, in time to the beating of the gong, then she twisted her body faster and faster. Finally, she leapt up onto the edge of the pool, spun around in place with such frightening speed that it took everyone’s breath away, and then, like a gust of wind, came to a halt. After her bow, she was received with applause from everyone, even Anna had become enraptured, and the audience filled their cups in turn to drink to her health.

It was the truest of any celebration.
340/340 | 1309/2000 | 390/390

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 13/06/23, 08:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR

As the party burst into full swing, Zubaidah mingled with the other guests, buzzing from drink and excitement. Indeed, she had never been more excited than she was right here, coming across stars rising and shining in the entertainment industry. She had needed this after the trauma of the Barris circus, for this confirmed that she belonged amongst the world of performance arts.

As she chatted with some singer or other, however, a pink-haired dancer tapped Zubaidah upon the shoulder, ‘Did I hear that your name was Zobeidah?’ She turned around with full grace, tossing her purple locks to the other bare shoulder, ‘No, my name is Zubaidah - ’ But she froze mid-turn as she realised that she had some bare recognition of this woman, ‘Wait, do I know -

Sukhainah, is that you?

How…’ She had not heard that name for so long, Zubaidah was almost uncertain whether her ears were feeding her some false information. ‘No, it can’t be - ’ She could only think of a handful who knew her childhood name, and fewer still who could have survived Parthevia.

Kut?

She thudded into Zubaidah with a massive hug. It was warm and tight, as if Kut was afraid that either of them would disappear at any moment, but welcome nonetheless. For with one hug, Kut and Zubaidah returned to the warmth of their childhood, when they were but innocent girls, forgetting the party around them both.

Look how much you’ve changed…

I thought…’ Liquid sprung within her eyes, but the tears would not fall. ‘I know…’ Their embrace was too warm for such sadness, tightening until neither of them could not breathe. ‘I thought you were gone too.

How did you…

I would rather leave that - ’ Kut began to look away, whether from regret or sadness, but Zubaidah pulled her closer. ‘You don’t need to explain yourself.

I can understand…

After a moment longer in her embrace, Kut loosened her grip and looked at Zubaidah with a bright smile, ‘So when did you meet Anna?’ She glanced over at their host, who was now conversing with the radiant Ho Lea, seeming impressed that Zubaidah had such contacts. ‘I was living in Reim for some time, making a living in the circus, when she found me and brought me into care.

She saw your talent for dancing then?

Hey, you were always better than me!

Heh, I know.

Still haven’t learnt the meaning of humility, I see?

Why should I be humble when I’m so good?

Hey, you’re not that good!

What was it your mother always said - ’ Kut stopped and stuttered, looking at Zubaiudah as if she had broken some expensive vase, ‘Oh, I didn’t mean -

It’s fine…’ Her voice might remained strong, but Zubaidah's expression betrayed the emotions willing inside her chest, ‘Really, don’t worry about it.

It’s been twenty years since then…’ Kut squeezed her hand, looking into Zubaidah's eyes to reassure her that they were still together. ‘That doesn’t mean it can’t still hurt.

I know, and it still does, but I don’t want that to stop me.

But twenty years, huh?

Yeah, it’s been that long…

I can’t believe that I haven’t seen you for…

But you’re here now, aren’t you?

And, from what I’ve heard, you’ve been busying yourself back home, eh?’ Her smile returned, Kut gave Zubaidah a well-meaning but sharp jab to the ribs in jest. ‘As much of ‘home’ as there is left at least.

Yeah, you’ve seen the capital, haven’t you?’ Kut winced a little, even if it was Zubaidah who had been hit, but her joking tone remained, ‘Well, not everywhere has been hit quite as hard!

I mean, we’ve been keeping ourselves well and good where I am.

And where is that?

Over in Amakh!

You mean the eastern coast?’ She paused for a second, as if the name Amakh had broken some spell over Zubaidah, ‘Wait, isn’t Amakh where - ’ But she was torn from her thoughts, when a group of merry-makers hoisted Kut and Zubaidah away from one another and into a new ring of entertainers.

It seemed that someone thought that they had done too much talking, and not enough dancing.
340/340 | 2004/2000 | 390/390

TRAINING [Assassin] to D Rank: 2004/2000

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 17/05/22, 09:01 am; edited 5 times in total

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR

When they had tired themselves with song and dance, and the party moving towards the poolside, Kut and Zubaidah reunited when they both returned to fill their glasses to the brim. Once the wine was overflowing again, Kut drew two chairs and invited Zubaidah to keep her company, retreating from all the noise.

So why would you come here?’ As Kut settled into her seat, wine down her lips already, she aimed an innocent-seeming question at Zubaidah, ‘What do you mean, Kay?

You know, you were never bad at dancing. In fact, you were one of the best at court. Not as good as me, of course.

Well, lemme throw that back at you.’ She pointed her finger at Kut’s head, much as an arrow on bowstring, ‘If you’re the best, why did you come here either?

Connections, you know?

The retreat was never just for getting better at dancing. It was somewhere dancers could meet and connect. You know, a place where people and cultures would mix and form new relations! So, yeah, I came here to mingle with all these people.

Well, and maybe get a collab with one or two of them.’ Kut downed the rest of her wine, grinning like a joker, ‘Oh, your intentions nearly seemed pure and poetic!

Come on, Sukh, I was never one for all that.

So what about you?

I must admit that I came here for connections as well.

Oh, yeah, climbing the social ladder?

Why would I do that?’ Zubaidah began grinning, not just smiling, in a manner unseemly for a woman as graceful as herself, ‘When I’m already on the top rung?

Such a brag…

It was just a joke!

I’m teasing you, Sukh!

Ugh, you always did get on my nerves…

What can I say?’ Kut stared her dead in the eye, her expression the very definition of serious, ‘I’m an expert at getting under things, whether nerves or bedsheets.’ And then she exploded into raucous giggling.

Hey, I did not want to know about that!’ Zubaidah started to blush, something uncommon for such a brazen woman, ‘Well, from what I’ve heard, you know a lot about the latter.’ Kut only made her blush an even bright shade of red.

So, anyways, you were saying?’ Kut might have enjoyed making Zubaidah squirm, but she knew when to stop. ‘What was I saying…

Ah, yes, I came here because I had some problems with fighting. If I remember correctly, I was told that my ‘manner’ as a dancer does not suit the forms of combat taught to me. I thought that someone here must surely have the means to help with reconciling them both.

Why am I not surprised that you’re fighting even now?

Whatever could you mean?

Well, you always preferred spear lessons over dancing, didn’t you?

What can I say?’ She gazed at Kut with a strange expression, something mixed between longing and satisfaction, ‘I wanted to be the best at something.

Oh, Sukh, I thought you didn’t think I was the best!

I never said you were.

Ouch, that hurts!’ She pouted a little, raising only a giggle from Zubaidah, and a laugh from Kut in turn. ‘But anyways, I think that I can help you.

Oh, really?

I told you that making connections was a good idea, didn’t I?

Fine then, you were right.’ Zubaidah poked her in the forehead, enough that Kut recoiled, ‘But only this once.

Come to my room when the party’s over then.’ She rose from her chair, inviting Zubaidah to join her, ‘I have a lot to show and tell.

Until then, let's get to it!
340/340 | 2505/2000 | 390/390

TRAINING to C Rank: 604/500

Last edited by Zuzu Mansur on 29/04/22, 08:04 am; edited 3 times in total

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR
It was the next morning when Kut saw Zubaidah again, her hair dishevelled from drink and lack of sleep. She smirked a little and tossed her own luscious hair behind her shoulders, inviting a bemused look from Zubaidah. How had Kut even managed to get a good night of sleep? There had been song and dance echoing through Anna’s estate all night!

But envies aside, Zubaidah was curious about the unusual set-up within Kut’s room. In the middle was a table laid with various dishes, each containing a dried powder. They were colourful enough that Kut had arranged them in a rainbow’s shape, but they seemed much too vibrant and off-putting to be herbs or spices. Indeed, the more she looked at them, the more Zubaidah questioned whether they were even legal substances.

I’m sure you know about the relations between poison and the entertainment industry.’ Kut began smiling, watching Zubaidah tense slightly at the mention of ‘poison’, but her answer widened Kut’s grin. ‘I was tutored under Anna, dear.’ Kut might have been her friend, but that made it all the more important that Zubaidah pay her kindness back by showing some backbone.

Yeah, Anna was certainly given the name ‘poisoner of Pesuoli’ for the wrong reason, wasn’t she?

So I assume that the dishes contain poisons then?’ She was questioning whether these substances were even legal, but decided not to ask in case she would receive a worse answer. ‘Ding-ding! Correct! Fifty points for Sukh!

And how might this help me, Kay?

I will show you how to choose and apply non-lethal poisons to your spear…’ She glanced towards Zub’s side, before drawing out a medical syringe from beneath the table, ‘…and how to administer them in more subtle ways.
340/340 | 2793/2000 | 390/390

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR
Over the next days, Kut made true her promise. She subjected Zubaidah to an education on poisons that forced her mind and body to its limits. If she had not been such a masochist when it came to knowledge, Zubaidah might have thought that Kut was using the learning-process as a form of torture. It was not working, of course, but Kut found other means of torture. That might have seemed a joke, but Zubaidah was made to ingest poison in small doses. Was it meant to accustom her to poisons and their properties? Kut said it was the case, but Zubaidah knew that the woman was something of an actual sadist.

In between their sessions, however, Zubaidah wound down with dance lessons under Anna and Ho Lea. At least, it should have been a time to wind down. She might have been poisoned and intoxicated for most of their lessons, but Kut had informed her mentors that they should not treat her with less severity. After all, Zubaidah was being trained to handle poison in conjunction with her dance-like spearmanship. If she could not handle dancing and being poisoned, how could she hope to add her spear to the mix?

After two weeks, Kut was impressed when Zubaidah ceased to show the effects of her poisons - even at higher doses. She had begun to mix her own, learning from Anna how to apply them to a blade correctly. Indeed, she had become a connoisseur of poison, if such were a cuisine.

On the combat side, Ho Lea taught Zubaidah how her dance-style was limited by the spear itself. She was not a spear-fighter who danced. She was a dancer and a spear-fighter in equal measure. If she saw her spear as an element above all else, Zubaidah could not utilise her dancing to the greatest capacity. Instead, she should see the spear as an element of herself. If dance was an act of the body, then the spear was a limb integral to said act.

Her own body was the weapon.

-----

With time and effort, Zubaidah found that her combat-style had improved massively. She was sure that Maelius would stand no chance against her new unorthodox movements, nor understand the modification made to her weapons. She had known that Anna was an unconventional woman, but she was more concerned that she had found ways to convert almost an implement into a tool to administer poison…

But speaking of poison, ‘I got you some of the strong stuff.’ As they lounged around a gazebo, Kut handed a dark-blue powder to Zubaidah, ‘Oh, belladonna?’ She took one sniff before speaking, ‘Yeah, it tastes sweet, you know? I thought you might prefer a poison easier on the tongue.’ Kut added some of the powder to her drink, watching the liquid fizz a little, before chugging it with no hesitation. ‘How sweet of you!

After they had finished the powder, treating it more like sugar than some terrible poison, Kut took out a greenish powder and showed it to Zubaidah. ‘You up for a joint?’ She took another sniff and her eyes brightened at the familiar smell. ‘How did you get your hands on this!’ It was grassy and familiar, like a dew-covered field, bringing back memories of the men who had smoked in the royal courts. ‘Oh damn, I forgot the fields burned down! You know, back then. Well, Amakh has started to plant some more, so expect some more coming into the Naseri.

After one long inhale, Kut blew out a circle of sweet-smelling smoke into Zubaidah’s face. Coughing a little, and thinking that it smelled more foul than flower, Zubaidah snatched the joint from her hands. Her thoughts were soon retracted, however, when she took in a few puffs of lemon and sandalwood. Amakh must have been growing some new species of herb for the joint to have such a pleasant smell. It was nothing like the woody sort that she remembered on the breath of the nobles.

This reminds me of when we were children.' Be it the joint or the evening heat, Zubaidah could feel her body grown warm and fuzzy, ‘Oh, yeah?' Kut cosied up towards Zubaidah, throwing her hands around her shoulders, ‘You mean, watching the nobles high as shit, making fools of themselves in front of your father? Yeah, those were good times.' She rested her head on Kut’s own, sharing the joint between themselves.

Do you remember the first time we heard about the Hashashin? We swore that we would take part in whatever initiation they had in store, as long as we could defend Parthevia as Hashashins. I wanted that wish for us so badly, and I cannot say that it has faded either. Of course, we had no idea that it required hash and poison back then, or the ingestion of both substances at the same time.'

But wait…’ Even as the words rushed from her mouth, like a river pouring into the ocean, ‘I must be hallucinating.’ She arrived towards the end of the proverbial waters, fishing out a thought squirming around her mind. ‘Not at all, you haven’t taken enough for that.’ And she realised that she was swimming in an ocean much bigger than had first thought.

Amakh, hash, poisons, the Hashashin..

You can’t be serious… As her mouth fell wide open in realisation, a wisp of smoke escaped into the evening air. ‘Guess it’s true that you’re a good detective, eh?

I am indeed a Hashashin. And now…' Kut plucked the joint from Zubiadah’s fingers and blew a large cloud of smoke into her face. ‘You are a Hashashin as well.'
340/340 | 3654/2000 | 390/390

TRAINING to B Rank: 1164/1000

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum