Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Proof of Guilt [NoM/Job] Empty Proof of Guilt [NoM/Job] 02/02/22, 08:37 am

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Info:

ZUZU MANSUR

She was stunned. She could not believe what she was reading. She could feel her throat start burning with bile and anger.

To Caligulas Benjin,

I trust that you remember what was agreed last month in the Senate? Since your assets have been most clean and trusted, you shall receive the next shipment of slaves. I am certain that your storage-rooms will ensure their continued quality. Indeed, if you prove useful, perhaps I will consider asking for your promotion.

To a future without the Council,
Trifer Clodius

As she read that word slave, Zubaidah bit into her cheek, blood pooling onto her teeth. Seeing that, Zubaidah knew that she could not continue her charade at Comum for much longer. Why else had she spent months and years in Kou, other than dealing with their slave-trade. If this document was true? Well, she could not stand the idea of her own foster-home of Reim turning back towards that abhorrent practice.

No, it was time that she face the senator Caligulas.

What is this?' She had wasted no time, storming into his night-time haunt. ‘Why have you agreed to this?' She thrust the document onto his desk, the impact blowing leaves and bristles from Caligulas’ gazebo. ‘No, how could you even entertain the thought?!'

You would allow the Senate to traffic slaves, even with the Council’s ban?' Her anger twisted her mind and tongue, words coming where she did not expect them. ‘No, even when it is so fucking abhorrent?!'

He was silent.

'I had hoped… And when he spoke, the silence between his words was all the more apparent. 'You and Flavrian were here for that reason.'

'Yes, I agreed…' He hung his head, shame evident in his dull eyes. 'I have regretted it ever since, but I agreed nevertheless.'

Why…'

How could you?'

You are the exemplar of a Reiman senator…'

'I am afraid that you have an optimism about the Senate which myself and Flavrian have lost.'

'It has forgotten its purpose.' He balled his fists. 'It exists for partisan and financial gain.' He dug his nails into the table. 'It does not protect the Reim people.'

Then why have you agreed to this?!'

'I can assume that Flavrian has informed you about the Council murders?'

'Put simply…' He lifted his head at last, and Zubaidah saw how weary he was - and how old he was. 'I am scared.'

'You see, I am a staunch supporter of lady Cassandra, even if I remain undecided about the Council itself.'

'But her colleagues and their supporters have been targeted in recent months.'

'What if she were next?'

'Would I be targeted as well?'

How does the Senate fit with this?'

'When they heard about my predicament, they offered me protection…'

In exchange for help in trafficking slaves.'

He was silent again.

'I do not want your pity.' He spoke with a small but resolute voice. ‘I would not give you pity.' A smile came upon his face, subdued but obvious enough. 'Good, then, for I have done wrong.'

'I simply fear death as much as anyone.' He let out a hollow laugh. 'Even in my old age…' She met him with a stern gaze. ‘I may not pity you, nor even forgive you, but I understand.'

'I would prefer it that way.'

'Well, then, what should be Flavrian’s punishment?' She took out a letter from the folds of her dress, sliding it along the wooden table. ‘Read for yourself.'

'He…'

'He knew?'

'He knew all this time.'

I must admit that I didn’t know myself.'

I guess that it was his test of my conviction and judgement.' She gave a soft smile. ‘And yours.'

So then, what’s your answer to Flavrian?'

'I shall make up for my mistakes.'

'We have a duty to cleanse the Senate and support the Council, after all.'

What about the current problem?' He met her with his own smile. 'I think that you have a better idea than I do.'
340/340 mag | 665/1000 | 390/390 stam

2Proof of Guilt [NoM/Job] Empty Re: Proof of Guilt [NoM/Job] 03/02/22, 08:13 pm

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

ZUZU MANSUR

A carriage filled with men and women left the Benjin estate, driving towards the Western Front. It was loud and busy under that bonnet, voices echoing around the rain-soaked grasslands, but the driver did not quieten them down. Instead, she pulled a letter from the folds of her dress, reading it with a satisfied smile upon her scarlet lips:

Dear Zubaidah,

I have heard the circumstances from Caligulas, when he invited me to dear Comum. He has agreed that we must reform the Senate, but we must ensure that the Council remains safe and sound before we can enact those plans. As for your decision, I commend your mind and compassion. Myself and Anna will support you however you continue along this path. Since you have proven yourself more than capable, I hope that you will lend your help to Reim again.

May you remain in good health,
Flavrian Valerius

As the winds ruffled her hair, Zubaidah looked over the men and women talking within the carriage. When she saw their smiles and excited faces, she knew that she had done the right thing.

But she was only just started.
340/340 mag | 875/1000 | 390/390 stam

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum