You are not connected. Please login or register

Proof in the Pulling [NoM/Job]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Proof in the Pulling [NoM/Job] Empty Proof in the Pulling [NoM/Job] 22/01/22, 07:58 am

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Info:

ZUZU MANSUR

As the Sun broke over the horizon, he spotted Zubaidah stood outside a grand white-coloured mansion, sporting the purple and golds of Reim's senators. If he had not seen her journey, he would have been surprised that Zubaidah was fraternising with anyone other than Flavrian or the Reiman army. But she was there for more than a social call. In fact, she was not even there for anything social at all! No. she was there because Flavrian had decided that Zubaidah should gain information about the Senate murders from a certain Caligulas. She was hesitant doing things in this way, but she was incensed. Anna had been placed under house arrest for her alleged part in these events. Flavrian had reassured her that she would be fine, however, handing Zubaidah a letter:

To Caligulas Benjin,

How is Comum, that favoured spot of yours and mine? How is the villa and its portico where it looks always spring-time, its shady clumps of well-bristled trees, its clear and fresh waters, its lake below that gives such a charming view? How is the green-laid lawn, where we played bowls at lunch-time. How is the bath, where we soaked the sun and steam in equal measures?

What too of the big banqueting-halls, the bedrooms fewer than Trepolis, the dining-rooms more than Pesuoli, have you entertained many senators there? Do they have full possession of you, and do they share your company in turn? Or are you, as usual, continually being called away to attend to private family business? If you can spend all your leisure-time there, you are indeed a lucky man. If you cannot, then you are pained as I am.

But I am not writing so that I might reminisce upon our time at Comum, that favoured spot of yours and mine. No, I am writing because I have found a scholar whom you might favour for your household. After all, it is time that you passed on your small and unimportant duties for others to look after, and buried yourself among your books in that secluded yet beautiful retreat. I commend a scholar whose intellect might care for your duties more than you should care at this age. I ask that you accept her as you have this letter.

Until we shall spend time at Comum together again,
Flavrian Valerius

She was accepted without much hassle, her letter enough for the senator Caligulas to greet Zubaidah with a smile and handshake. She had not believed that Flavrian and Caligulas had such relations, if she were being honest, not least because she was uncertain whether Caligulas was the target or suspect.

In either case, however, she was welcome to the Benjin’s hospitality for some time, acquainting herself with the villa Comum before she was given her first duty: she would become Caligulas’ scribe. It was first and foremost the position which Zubaidah had suggested was best-suited for her skills, truth despite her false reasons. For she knew that she would gain access to the most confidential of Caligulas’ writings as his scribe. It was prime for her and Flavrian’s purpose in Comum.

In the first week, Zubaidah was asked to transfer copies of Comum’s pantries and storage-rooms from tablet to paper, done for more concrete records. She was curious for the reason why Caligulas would want records of his storage facilities, asking around the servant-quarters for answers. She was answered with the steward Corianus, whose response was calm and apparent: he must count his stock so that he might submit records for tax reasons.

If she was honest, Zubaidah was taken aback at hearing that Caligulas was honest in his stock-counting, since she had been given no direction for change and falsification - and she was no stranger to such financial manipulation. Indeed, she was more surprised that Caligulas was honest when Zubaidah knew that other senators had no qualms with financial manipulation, especially where taxes were involved.

In the next weeks, she was divided between two minds, since Zubaidah was uncertain whether Caligulas was playing with her emotions and expectations. She had not ascertained whether the Benjin household were victims or perpetrators in the Senate’s activities. She had not even discovered whether Caligulas was pro-Senate or pro-Republic!

He was keeping that information close to his chest, as if he was waiting until he was sure that Zubaidah and Flavrian were on his side. Indeed, she had been careful to ensure that questions on the Senate were woven into work-related contexts, steering clear from them in card-games and casual conversation. It was clear that she would not get answers through questions. Yes, she would have to use other methods.

She waited until the Benjin household was sound asleep, Caligulas included, and placed the Head of Command over her amber eyes. As she poured magoi into the lilac-coloured mask, Zubaidah conjured an icy-furred cat onto the bed beside her, mewing with cold breath. She poured magoi into the Head of Command again, her vision blurred before refocusing with the cats’ eyes instead. Under her command, the cat jumped through the window and scaled the ivy-covered walls into Caligulas’ officer above Zubaidah’s room.

Since she had left the window unlocked, there was no problems with getting inside, but she had no idea where she should look afterwards. As the cat padded across the room, Zubaidah searched for any documents that might related with the Senate murders, but she could see nothing but useless paperwork. Well, until she found a document lying inside his desk-drawers. She knew that Caligulas was specific about locking his desk-drawers each night but, since Zubaidah had been left to lock for the night, she had not bothered.

And so, swiping the document, the cat climbed down the dirt-coloured walls and sat down on her mistress’ lap, watching with disinterest as Zubaidah read the document in full.

320/340 mag | 957/000 | 390/390 stam

Ability Info:

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum