You are not connected. Please login or register

Remove Scaling [Suggestion]

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Remove Scaling [Suggestion] Empty Remove Scaling [Suggestion] 04/04/21, 01:01 am

Angelus

Angelus
A-Tier
A-Tier

It is after a long time on this site, and having graded and been part of many long debates and discussions on Scaling, that only maybe a year ago I began to believe that the site would be far better with Scaling removed, forever. Many sites exist without the need of a Scaling mechanic, and I know Magi World can too. As it is, this feature has been long since debated about, regarding how to balance it, its use, and far more. It would be a very quick and smooth process if Scaling was removed. Players could resubmit Abilities if they wish, but the only change that would happen to Abilities would be removing the Scaling feature. This site existed before Scaling, and can exist after Scaling.

Its purpose I believe was originally to allow the small guy, low tiers, to be able to stand up against higher tiers. However, now that has become quite obsolete, as now the big guy can just scale more than the small guy, and beat him out. If we removed Scaling, this would be the exact same truthfully, but without the problems which come with Scaling. Due to Scaling, dungeons have become harder on average. A-Tier damage has become a norm in dungeons. Scaling is one of the reasons why the site has power crept so much. It is damaging to the site.

One rebuttal people often come up with to removing Scaling is that how will people defend against multiple instances of A-Tier? This is a very good concern to have. However, you can be rest assured that without Scaling, multiple instances of A-Tier will for the most part be no more. There will be people who will damage stack though, which is stacking damage without Scaling via Abilities. That is precisely why defense stacking exists. Nobody comes in the way of you being able to stack your defense with Abilities to protect yourself, or creating a dodge Ability to dodge the multiple instances of A-Tier. This creates a far simpler, less convoluted, and fairer experience when in combat. Other sites exist without Scaling, and so can Magi World. It is not necessary, and only causes major disagreements and abuse of the feature.

2Remove Scaling [Suggestion] Empty Re: Remove Scaling [Suggestion] 04/04/21, 01:02 am

Shishi

Shishi
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Yup, no scaling is good.

3Remove Scaling [Suggestion] Empty Re: Remove Scaling [Suggestion] 04/04/21, 01:04 am

I can support trying this out. If it ends up being super lame, I'd want to keep the option to revert the removal.

4Remove Scaling [Suggestion] Empty Re: Remove Scaling [Suggestion] 04/04/21, 04:26 am

Lagi

Lagi
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

*Copied from my discord post*

Here is my case to keep scaling, it allows lower-tiered abilities to be utilized. It's the pay-to-play portion of the site that adds more versatility to the ability or complexity in exchange for more resources. The exchange system being that the scaling isn't for free is the balance in itself. If people overcommit, it makes it harder to recover if it fails. If they under-commit, it makes it easier to beat. Like Trent mentioned in private, I along with a few benefited the most from scaling (back then we had multipliers too) so I should say something, but I feel like it should be kept. We are not limited to the cookie cutters of calling and it's a unique element added to an ability, making it more worth it or worthwhile to use if certain aspects were increased. The most you would want out of removing scaling is the "feel good" feeling of removing it. However, there lies a massive technique overhaul, some abilities would no longer work properly if you can't supplement some issues that scaling fixed. I feel like it opens the door for viability and I would like to keep it. I also believe that scaling benefits the players as well.

Angelus likes this post

5Remove Scaling [Suggestion] Empty Re: Remove Scaling [Suggestion] 04/04/21, 01:28 pm

Mita

Mita
D-Tier
D-Tier

if scaling is an actually integral aspect to the functioning of some abilities, then just put limits on how much something can be scaled. those limits could be specified and when the ability is being graded, mods could require reduced damage or other to balance out the scaling.

an example of abilities that don’t work w/o scaling would be nice, actually, so we can have a fuller idea of all the things we need to consider

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum