Magoi Manip.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Magoi Manip. Empty Magoi Manip. 24/03/17, 12:16 pm

Zadi

Zadi
A-Tier
A-Tier

Alright, so I wanted to wait until more abilities related to "full body defensive magoi manipulation" got posted, but I already know of a few not-yet-posted abilities of a similar fashion.

So, fair warning, this post is related to an ability of Zadi's that now goes by a different name (Steamed Lobster to Chitin Exoskeleton). Steamed lobster was an A-tier magoi manipulation ability in which the user circulated magoi around their body and concentrated a layer of the magoi above the skin to create a layer of defensive armor. This could be scaled to add more layers of armor.

Later on, I ended up using Steamed Lobster in a PvP battle. After the battle, I was told Steamed Lobster needed to be balanced (and fixed, but for a diff reason) for an obvious reason; the user is practically invincible during the duration of this ability. I complied and now I have the B-tier ability Chitin Exoskeleton which only covers a limb, torso, or head unless scaled like Steamed Lobster (I made it B-tier because I found out about the defensive benefits to Magoi Manipulation).

Anyway, after seeing a few techniques that are roughly a copy of Steamed Lobster (some taking further advantage of the magoi manipulation benefits), I've decided to ask;

Which version is the correct version; Steamed Lobster or Chitin Exoskeleton?

2Magoi Manip. Empty Re: Magoi Manip. 24/03/17, 12:53 pm

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

I would honestly prefer Chitin Exoskeleton over Steamed Lobster in terms of balancing because whoever told you that was correct, you're practically invincible with little drawback.

One reason I can give looking at it now: The only reason Steamed Lobster felt so 'broken' was the fact that it's only downside was that you had to be thrown off balance. But in conjunction of the balance trait, it almost nullifies that downside. It also had no movement restrictions so you were able to move freely during it. We couldn't do anything to you when you used it because of the balance trait. There was no knocking you off balance if you have perfect balance.

While I'm not a fan of these types of abilities being full body, I let Merrze have her ability if it had a stronger drawback. Such as severely limited movement or only being able to use one ability during the duration like Vardreth has in his ability New Moon or Ride as One.

TL;DR - There needs to be a trade off for something like that. The only reason I didn't particularly decline the one that went out is because Vardreth already has similar abilities. To only let him have abilities like that... is not fair. Even if I don't like it.

My personal opinion on those types of abilities is that anything full body should be Omega tier like how it works in Body Manipulator especially since Magoi Manipulation is so strong. But it's a bit out of my control now.

3Magoi Manip. Empty Re: Magoi Manip. 24/03/17, 03:03 pm

Zadi

Zadi
A-Tier
A-Tier

Woops, I didn't notice the requirements, but knowing me, I probably would have asked anyway. At least I know more than I did before asking. Granted, if someone really wanted to, they could make an ability related to magoi manipulation to nullify a requirement like I did, but that goes for all abilities and their requirements, so whatever.

So, you shouldn't be afraid to force a revamp of magoi manipulation abilities. As long as those with trained abilities are able to remake them without having to retrain them. If you do let situations like this get out of hand, then the creators of the abilities aren't the only ones at fault. I'm not saying magoi manipulation itself is out of hand (cough cough, magician's borg, cough cough), but perhaps the "limitations" around magoi manipulation are out of hand.

Regardless, thanks for the info~

4Magoi Manip. Empty Re: Magoi Manip. 24/03/17, 05:38 pm

Zafar

Zafar
β-Tier
β-Tier

Retconning old abilities to fit better standards after new IC developments or OOC judgements are made is always better than just ignoring an issue and allowing broken stuff through. That's my two cents.

5Magoi Manip. Empty Re: Magoi Manip. 24/03/17, 07:11 pm

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

It's not that I'm allowing broken stuff through. :I

Unless you still think it's broken. But then wouldn't you have had Vardreth change it back then?

6Magoi Manip. Empty Re: Magoi Manip. 24/03/17, 09:10 pm

Zafar

Zafar
β-Tier
β-Tier

I didn't call anything specifically broken. It sounded from your post that you thought it might be somewhat overpowered though. Thats why I pipped in with some encouragement to make changes if you believed there should be some. The only message I was trying to send is that you shouldn't feel like you can't unapprove older things. Even if it's something that I approved.

Very Happy

7Magoi Manip. Empty Re: Magoi Manip. 25/03/17, 11:16 pm

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

I'm fine with adding additional requirements to my current ones, having it so that only 1 ability can be used aside from it (no sustains, but yes on scalings) and also making it so that you can only move at a walking speed (even if you're flying, you can only concentrate on flight well enough to move at the speed you would walk).

The reason I would put forth for believing this is 'balanced' is 2-fold. The first of which is it allows everyone else freedom of movement to get away from the person using this technique, allowing them to maintain a distance that does not put them in danger of being hurt. Then all they have to do is stay away from that person and wait for it to go on cooldown.

The second of which is this keeps the person from sending out a flurry of attacks all in 1 post during the time they are 'invincible'.

The aside to this that I would argue, if it came up IC, is if the defensive shield is broken and isn't sustained from that point on it is free game for the person sustaining the shield to move at their max speed and use additional abilities since they are once again vulnerable.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum