You are not connected. Please login or register

Forming a Committee: The Director [Profession/Invite Only]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Spoiler:

The past week had been hectic for Azix. Between assassination attempts, he had secured martial arts instructors for the schools and purchased the deeds to Trylor. While he could cross those things off his to-do list, a few more things had been added in their place. Primarily, setting up a committee to oversee Opportunity Hall and its continued growth. At the same time, he needed to ensure that his plans for Trylor moved forward. The designs for the facilities and farms would have to be drawn up and then sent to Oroloham, so he could look over them before assigning a crew to begin construction.

While those things were important to Azix, they came in second place to making sure his people were safe. The assassination attempts had left him paranoid that someone he cared about would be caught in the crossfire, so he made efforts to ensure they wouldn’t. The Grumptoes were temporarily moved into Azix’s house, where Janus, Viri and Jarl could keep an eye on them. Meanwhile, Gillus kept an eye on the Grumptoes’ families, just in case they were targeted.

Thankfully, there were no more attempts made on Azix’s life for the next few days, so he returned back to Opportunity Hall in a good mood. The lack of assassins wasn’t the sole reason for the smile that stretched across his face. Azix had woken up to find a message in the Journey Book from Ariella. In it, he learned that she had passed her Kodor Test and was on the way to Reim. Of course, she was making a detour to assist Madam Trixie with her treasure hunt. He even laughed at Ariella’s comment about how he and Madam Trixie were making a fashion statement with their eyepatches. He hurriedly wrote her back, urging her to return healthy and safe, while reminding her how much he missed her.

When he arrived at Opportunity Hall, Gilda was surprised to see Azix in such a jovial mood. She returned his infectious smile before pushing a stack of papers towards him. ”Good to see you. While you’ve been away, I got everything ready for Trylor like you asked. I spoke with Oroloham and he sent one of his architects out to the town to get an idea of what is needed. I had Kylar and a couple of the Kios farmers go along, figuring their experience would be beneficial. This here is the architect’s first draft of the plans. It arrived this morning and I thought you would like to go over it.”

Azix absently nodded, his eyes pouring through the stack of papers, trying to absorb as much as he could. ”Great. Have you started-”

Gilda cut him off and handed him a scroll. ”I worked with Kylar to adjust the schedules of the workers next month to accommodate the construction, assuming the plans are finalized. If they aren’t ready by then, I have a backup schedule just in case.”

Azix chuckled and shook his head, a bit overwhelmed by all the information that she shoved at him. As usual, she had went above and beyond to ensure that everything was ready for the orange magician. If it wasn’t for her, Azix had a feeling that Opportunity Hall would have fallen apart long ago. ”Thanks. Let me look over these designs and I’ll let you know if I need anything.”

With the stack of papers in his hand, he climbed the stairs to the second floor and ambled into his office. After getting comfortable in his chair, Azix went over the blueprints again, this time with a critical eye. In the middle of the town, the architect had outlined several buildings that would be used for storage, living quarters, or teaching stations. Outside of the town square, there was area set aside for pastures and stables for livestock. There were also large plots of farmland, enough to rotate fields each season, which surrounded the rest of the town.

Azix was impressed by the blueprints, the design was just like he had envisioned the town’s layout. Setting the rough-draft aside, Azix turned to Kylar’s notes which went over what he could expect the town to produce and hold. The magician expected that the farmers had helped Kylar come up with those approximations. The number of permanent staff required was also listed in the notes.

After going through everything and making sure it looked good, Azix gathered up the papers and headed downstairs. He passed the stack back to Gilda, ”Everything looks great. It’s almost like you guys don’t need me anymore. You can tell Oroloham that it meets all the specifications and he can begin whenever.”

With a content sigh, Azix leaned against the edge of Gilda’s desk. ”Speaking of not needing me anymore. I wanted to talk to you about something. Since my appointment as Ambassador, it’s become a struggle to balance so many different ventures. I think it’s time I pass the reins over to a committee so they can oversee Opportunity Hall’s operations.”

Gilda gave him a knowing look and nodded. ”I completely understand. You run around like a chicken with its head cut off half the time. It’d be good if you could get some time to yourself.” She smiled with a curious look in her eye. ”Do you have any ideas for people to take over?”

Azix ran his fingers through his hair and made a show of great consideration. ”I know who I would like to see as the director of the workforce program.” Gilda arched her brow and Azix pointed at her. ”You. I believe you would be the best candidate. No one knows more about the daily operations and workers than you.”

Gilda seemed genuinely shocked, not expecting to be the Marquis’ first choice. She had never considered running an organization, but she wasn’t opposed to it, even if she was content being a receptionist. The more she thought about it, she practically ran the program anyway. Azix was mostly there to give approval and because he liked being hands on. After a few moments, she looked up at Azix and gave him a slow nod. ”I’m flattered that you think so. I would be happy to accept the position, but who would replace me?”

Azix gave a nervous laugh, ”I haven’t thought that far ahead, yet. Let me worry about that though. I’ll find a new receptionist and the other members to fill the rest of the spots on the committee. Of course, you’ll have the final say on who sits on the committee with you.”

Gilda shrugged, trusting the Marquis’ judgement of people. After all, he had given those living in the slums a chance to break free of the stereotypes imposed upon them by society. Not many people would be willing to invest in the unemployed. ”I doubt I would have a problem with whoever you chose. For now, I’ll hold down the fort while you find the rest of the workforce committee.” With a wink, she let him know that she believed in him, while at the same time expressing that he needed to get out of her hair so she could get back to work.

Taking the hint, Azix gave her a small bow and left. He needed to go over his options for replacing Gilda anyway, so he figured a walk would be good to clear his head. While he roamed the streets, he made sure not to get lost in thought and forget his surroundings. Azix didn’t particularly want to wake up with another pounding headache in an unknown warehouse again. Reminded of the warehouse, the Marquis realized that he had forgotten to return to search for clues. With a muttered curse, Azix headed towards the warehouse district.

The warehouse was completely empty when he arrived. Someone had taken the time to completely clean out the building, removing any evidence Azix hoped to find. Without any clues, he would have to wait for the assassin’s next move if he hoped to learn why he was being targeted. When he stopped to think about it, Azix had to admit that he had been sloppy lately, forgetting to use clairvoyance after the first attack and not returning to the scene after the last. Perhaps it was due to the restless nights spent tossing and turning, followed by working long hours, juggling his responsibilities and ambitions, never finding time to really relax.

Azix hadn’t realized that how much his lack of sleep had affected him. Knowing that, he made a note to take better care of himself. At least he would soon be free of his obligations with Opportunity Hall, freeing up some of his time. He would finally have time to train and focus on becoming stronger again. The thought relieved some of the weight off his shoulders and he decided to head home. He couldn’t solve either of the mysteries that plagued his mind, tonight. However, with a good night’s sleep, he would have a better chance.

[1500+/1500]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum