You are not connected. Please login or register

Way off Target [Dex Training/Plot]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Way off Target [Dex Training/Plot] LEqd3bv

Ayero sat nervously, hands resting on her bended legs as she bowed her head slightly out of both respect and nerves. Sitting across from her in the tent was Kaidu, Chief of the nomadic Cambulac people. Kaidu was a powerfully built man, broad shouldered and heavily muscled from a combination of his barbarian genetics and years of rigorous mountain life. The wise Chief stroked his beard in thought as he contemplated the items before him, offerings brought by the red headed woman who had stumbled upon his tribe months ago. Things had gotten off to a rocky start, but she had proved her respect and interest for their way of life while staying with them. Now she had returned with an unexpected request.

Kaidu picked up one of the daggers laid out in front of him, unsheathing the weapon and inspecting it with an eye for quality. He hummed in approval and arched a brow as some of the rigidity fell from Ayero’s shoulders. He slid the blade back into its decorative sheath, taking a moment to admire the intricate patterns etched into the material. Placing the weapon back down, his eyes fell to the item next to it: a small brass pot with colorful designs painted along the top and sides. His brows furrowed slightly as he removed the cap of the container to reveal its contents.

”What is this?” Chief Kaidu dipped a finger into the red paste before removing it and rubbing it between a second finger in order to test its consistency. He was familiar with all of the items she’d present to him so far: the dagger, a few textiles and some precious stones laid into metal that were to be worn as decoration. But he couldn’t be certain about the red substance, he realized as he smeared it across his fingers. Was it war paint? It seemed far too thick and moist for that. His eyes met with the redhead’s, encouraging her to look up and speak to him directly.

”It’s called rouge, Chief Kaidu. Many women in the city wear it on their lips and cheeks. Some wear it daily, while others prefer to use it only on special occasions. In any case, it’s very popular.” Ayero tilted her head upwards when addressing him, trying to keep the tense edge out of her voice. She was aware that the Cambulac prided themselves on living without outside assistance or influence and she hoped that the trinkets from the city she’d brought would not be taken as an insult to their way of life. The Fanalis had thought hard about what to bring to accompany her request to show that she was sincere. Any sort of magic item was out of the question, as the Cambulac treated magic the same way she had in her childhood; fictitious in nature and only exiting in the realm of stories and folklore. Items from the city would be less threatening, or so she hoped. She watches Kaidu nervously as he stared at the gifts in contemplation.

Finally, the great man leaned back and spoke to the woman in front of him once more. ”Tell me again, what was it that you have come here for?” In truth he had not forgotten, but rather he wanted to text her conviction before he revealed whether he was pleased with her offerings or not. His gaze swept down across the items laid out in front of him and he wondered briefly, did Khutulun trade in her Cambulac furs for the fine cloth of the city? Did his daughter wear this red paste on her face like a city woman? He grunted softly and brought his attention back towards Ayero, growing slightly impatient with the young woman’s hesitance.

Ayero suppressed a shudder of anxiety, finding the situation rather uncomfortable. This man was no king or emperor, but his presence was that of one. Sliding forward in a mock bow, she took in a deep breath before speaking. ”Chief Kaidu, your people are known for their superior skill in both hunting and wielding a bow. I humbly ask that I am allowed to learn from your tribe so that I too may become a skilled archer and huntress.”

Kaidu hummed for a moment in thought. ”Could you not simply find a decent archer in the city? You’ve told me of the many warriors that come to challenge the coliseum, surely at least one of them knows how to use a bow properly.” The man posed a question, waiting silently for Ayero’s response.

”That is true, Chief Kaidu. There are many skilled archers in Remano, but after seeing how your people live, I’ve decided that I would like to learn from them. The Cambulac live and breathe by the bow, it is part of your way of life. It is because of this that I have made the long journey here, rather than remain in the city. I want to learn your ways.”

[Dex Spec Training:829/2000]

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Ayero awkwardly clutched at the bow she had been given, standing with her feet together and her arms pressed as close to her body as possible. The chilly mountain wind penetrated right through her cloak, the fact that she was stationary making it that much worse. But she kept her eyes glued to the young man in front of her as he nocked an arrow on his bow before letting it fly towards one of the distant targets. Barely even waiting for the follow-through of the bow, the man quickly slung another arrow and let it loose towards a different target, this one a bit closer. His movements were seamless as he unleashed a rapid volley of arrows, each projectile hitting the dead center of its respective target.

”As expected of the Chief’s son.” One of the archers standing to the side commented as the young man ran off to retrieve the arrows. ”He’s the Chief’s son?” Ayero’s brows raised in surprise as she turned towards the man who spoke. She hadn’t recalled seeing him the last time she’d been here. Nodding, the archer furrowed his brow in thought. ”He is, and one of our most skilled archers. I believe he was on a hunting trip during the time you were here.”

Ayero stood in silence at these words, contemplating the skill that the man had displayed and doubting that she’d learn to shoot like that. He’d probably spent his life honing his marksmanship with a bow, something that she would have the time or resources to accomplish. If I can learn to shoot even half as well as him… She looks up, pulled away from her thoughts as the Chief’s son approaches her with a wide smile.

Way off Target [Dex Training/Plot] T8sbhzt

”You must be Ayero, the red headed woman who came from the city my father told me about. My name is Ariq.” Ariq introduced himself and offered a light nod of his head which Ayero returned. ”You are correct, Ariq. You are very skilled with your bow.” The woman’s eyes briefly traveled to the weapon in his hands and was suddenly aware of how awkwardly her own training bow felt in her hands.

”My father also tells me that you’ve come back here to learn how to shoot a bow. He’s asked me to instruct you in the basics. Are you read to begin?”

Ayero grunted as she tried to fix her posture, the bow feeling even more out of place in her hands now that she was trying to wield it properly. She had trained with a blade so much that she naturally knew how to fall into the correct stance, but this was just…different. And the way her body was positioned felt uncomfortable, too, despite the fact that she had been instructed to turn it like this.

”Your gripping the bow too hard. Keep your grip firm, but not strangling.” Ariq commented on her stance. Ayero hadn’t even shot a single arrow and already she was becoming frustrated with these new circumstances. Wielding a bow required dexterity, patience and precision—none of which Ayero was particularly well-versed in. She was aware of this on a surface level and committed to learning a new skill, but she didn’t expect it to be so different.

Drawing in a deep breath, Ayero exhaled slowly before loosening her choking grip on the bow. ”Good. Now move your hip a little towards the front, widen your stance a bit too. Back straight, shoulders back…” Ariq demonstrated the proper stance, falling into it fluidly. Ayero marveled how graceful his movements were as he swiftly nocked another arrow, drew back the string of his bow and released an arrow. The projectile cut through the air and struck the middle of one of the most distant targets. ”Good posture is important. Even the tiniest mistake can knock your arrow off course.” Nodding towards the Fanalis, Ariq lowered his bow and stepped back as a sign that she should now try.

Ayero gave her instructor a quick nod before turning her eyes towards the field of targets. It was much different than the battlefield she was used to, far quieter yet not quite tranquil. Taking in another breath, the young woman copies Ariq’s stance to the best of her ability, remembering to keep her hold on the bow steady. She reaches back to grasp an arrow from the quiver strapped to her back, feeling around for several moments until she finally grasps an arrow, unused to the placement of the quiver. She nocks the arrow, pausing to make sure that the colored feather was facing away from the bow before aiming the head of the arrow towards the closest target. Drawing back the string, Ayero hesitated before releasing the arrow. The projectile flew a short distance before wobbling, falling short of the target and sticking into the ground.

Ayero huffed with frustration at her failure. She had not expected to get it right on the first time, but it was still disappointing. Ariq hummed in thought from behind her and she briefly mused on how both he and his father shared that trait. ”Your stance was good, but your release was off. You guided the string down with your hand part of the way, then released it. Just let the string snap, there’s no need to be afraid of the bow.” Ayero lowered the bow and gave Ariq an indignant look.

”I’m not afraid of the bow.” The Fanalis woman insisted with a growl, turning her head away from the man before stomping off to retrieve the arrow. Ariq only laughed softly in response as she tromped away. He had picked up on her hesitation, knowing it well. It wasn’t a feeling to be ashamed of, rather he expected it from her. From what he had been told she was a swordswoman and a beast tamer, someone who was used to fighting close quarters combat. The bow was an entirely different weapon than the blade, and it would take practice and patience for her to become used to the feel of the bow.

Ayero awoke early each morning to train with Ariq and the others just before the morning lights came up. By mid-day they would break for lunch before returning to the tribe to perform their duties. Seeing as how Kaidu did not deem her fit for hunting yet, Ayero helped the women skin and prepare the beasts felled by the tribe’s proper hunters. While the halfling had some experience cooking meals on her own for herself, they were always made with survival in mind, not in taste.

”There’s too much fat on that piece. Trim some of it off so we can use it later, Red.” Ayero raised a brow at Nazgul’s instruction, seeing as how she figured the fat content of the meat was fine. Then again, the Cambulac did seem to use a lot of animal fat in their cooking…and Ayero did prefer more lean meat. Not wanting to argue, the Fanalis woman used a sharp stone to scrape the lard off of the cut of meat and into a bowl with the other discarded fat.

”How is your training with Ariq going?” Nazgul nodded in affirmation, satisfied with Ayero’s work before returning to her own. The pretty dark-haired woman was Kaidu’s eldest daughter, a patient married woman who had recently given birth to her first child, a son.

”With the bow? Fine, I guess.” Ayero furrowed her brow at the question. It had been a week since she had started training, and while she was slowly getting a better grasp on the basics, shooting a bow still didn’t begin to feel any more natural to her. ”It’s not just with Ariq, you know. There are other tribe archers there.” Nazgul chuckled softly and kept her eyes on nerve she was expertly popping from the animal’s flesh.

”Ariq is one of the best archers. But I suppose it would be hard to teach a city girl the ways of the Cambulac.” Nazgul’s comment was made in jest as she tucked a loose strand of dark hair behind her ear, no barb to her voice as she prodded Ayero with her words. The red headed woman was too easy to rile up.

”I’m not from the—I was born in these mountains, just like you!” Ayero insisted with a hiss, pausing in her work to throw a subtle glare at the other woman. Nazgul calmly continued with her work, unperturbed by Ayero’s irritation.

”Perhaps you’ve been away so long that you’ve lost your mountain blood, hmm?” Ayero’s mouth practically hung open at the boldness of the other woman’s statement, but she kept silent and leaned back while contemplating Nazgul’s words. The shadow of an approaching figure caused the pair of women to look up, Ariq standing before them with his bow in one hand.

”Sorry sister, but I’ll have to steal her away for a little while. We finished the day’s hunt early and I want her to get more practice in while there’s still light.” Ariq nodded at Ayero.

”By all means brother, take her. I hope her skills with a bow are better than her ability to prepare an animal.” When Ayero threw Nazgul an annoyed look, the Cambulac woman simply laughed and gave Ayero a gentle push on the shoulder. With a touch of a frown on her lips, Ayero rose and stretched before grabbing her bow and following Ariq.

[Dex Spec Training:1,580+829=2,409/2000]

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

”So…the hunt went well today, did it?” Ayero uncharacteristically felt the need to start a conversation after the pair spent a few minutes in silence during their walk towards the training area.

”Hm? Ah, we were lucky. We try and follow the migration path of the wild deer, but they usually go too far north for us. They’ve been sticking further south lately. I’m not sure why, but its good news for us.” Ariq seemed to be caught a bit off guard by Ayero’s question, not expecting the Fanalis woman to prompt him. ”I see you’ve met my sister, Nazgul. She can be…brazen with her words, but she means well.” Ariq chuckles and scratched at the back of his head before suddenly looking thoughtful. ”Did she tell you that she used to shoot, too?” When Ayero shook her head no, Ariq continued.

”Before the baby, before she was married, I think. Nazgul would come hunting with us, sometimes. Even when game was scarce, you could trust Nazgul to come back with a prize. She was also fond of eagle hunting, as well. Using birds of prey works very well in conjunction with archery.” He paused to tilt his head upwards, smiling when he noticed the red bird soaring above them. Tomato had been present for the majority of Ayero’s bow training, often perching in a nearby tree to watch her companion or socializing with the other birds kept by the tribe for hunting purposes. Kabu, the snake that usually accompanied Ayero, tended to stay behind with the tribe. The black desert serpent was a novelty to the mountain people, and Kabu did not mind their attention so long as they kept feeding him some of the rodents they hunted. Occasionally he would slither off to explore the area outside of the camp but never trailed very far as he was out of his element.

”Really now…” Ayero squinted in thought, trying to picture the delicate looking beauty as a fierce archer and eagle huntress. Surprisingly it wasn’t that difficult to imagine; if Nazgul could do to arrows what she did with words, then Ayero had no doubt that the woman was an even greater hunter than her brother. A brief smirk flashed on her face before being replaced by a questioning look. ”Why did she stop, then?”

Ariq exhaled, searching for the right answer. ”She married, and now she has a child. Now she supports the tribe by preparing the kills, making our clothes and raising children; it would be inconvenient for everyone if she were to continue to hunt regularly. Everyone here has a place in the tribe…” The young man trailed, his last words spoken with decreasing conviction as his thoughts moved to his younger sister, Khutulun. She had rejected their lifestyle and left to forge a path of her own in the city. Realizing that his sudden silence may have seemed strange, he brightened again. ”But don’t piss her off, or she’ll put one right between your eyes before your know it!”

Ayero stayed quiet, ruminating on Ariq’s words. A part of her wondered if Nazgul was content with her life, giving up the freedom of the bow for more maternal duties. Just because she was a woman did not mean that she couldn’t contribute by being both a hunter and a mother, right? It was unfair for the tribe’s rituals to force her into a role she might not have wanted, to squander her gifts and not allow her to take her own direction.

Ayero shook her head, realizing that she was letting her own past experiences cloud her judgment. Nomadic life was difficult, and everyone had to contribute by doing what they were best suited to, or else everyone could suffer. She glances at the bow in Ariq’s hand as he walked ahead of her, coming to understand that the bow did not mean freedom here. It was a responsibility, just as preparing food, weaving clothes and caring for the young are. Perhaps Nazgul was content with her life, and Ayero was too quick to judge before she had gotten to know her well enough. A slow smile curves her lips at Ariq’s quip about his sister, and suddenly she feels a bit embarrassed for her initial thoughts.

”Alright, enough talk. We’re out here to shoot, right?” Ayero raised a brow to which Ariq laughed again.

”Very well, you seem eager to spend some time with me, hmm?” Ariq teased, turning to face the woman with a cocked brow and a grin.

Ayero responded by simply rolling her eyes, seemingly unfazed. ”Just tell me what I need to work on.”

”Hmm…you mean besides everything?” The archer rubbed his chin, deflecting Ayero’s glare with his still-present grin. ”I’m only kidding, you aren’t terrible for a beginner. But let’s work on your aim for now.”

Ayero nodded in affirmation, spacing her feet comfortably apart and nocking an arrow onto the bow string. Raising the bow, Ayero aimed the tip of the arrow at one of the wooden targets before drawing the string back, her finger brushing her cheek as she did so. The halfling released the arrow, the string of the bow vibrating gently as she followed through and let the force of the firing the arrow knock the bow downwards. Ayero let her grip on the bow slacken so that it would not hinder its movement and keep it from falling out of her hand at the same time.

The arrow sailed through the air, clipping the edge of the target before arcing downwards and driving into the dirt some meters away. A light frown tilted Ayero’s lips, the woman being displeased at the outcome.

”I assume you were aiming for the target?” Ariq did his best to hold back a chuckle at her frustration, his amusement bleeding through in his tone.

”No, I was aiming for the dirt.” The Fanalis woman half-turned turned to give him an unamused look.

”You have to aim the tip of the arrow lower to your target. Like this." With the grace and practiced movements of a skilled archer, Ariq nocked an arrow onto his bow and drove the projectile deep into the dead center of the target Ayero had been aiming for. The halfling woman looked on in appreciation for his expert ability, somewhat jealous of Ariq. As he turned to her, the Fanalis woman was quick to roll her eyes.

”All I saw was you showing off.” Ayero rested her weight on one leg and put a hand on her hip. Ariq laughed softly and brought his bow down, a sheepish smile on his face. The woman just huffed, taking her stance again and loading another arrow from her quiver onto the bow. As she brought the weapon up to take aim, Ariq spoke to her.

”Sorry, I guess I can’t help it. Here, let me help you—“ He reached out to touch Ayero’s shoulder, intent on helping the woman aim properly so that the arrow would strike it’s intended target. But the Fanalis woman grunted and pulled away, both surprised and unaccustomed to the sudden touch. Ariq pulled his hand back, taking a step away from the woman at her reaction. He didn’t intend to offend her on any level, his instincts only telling him to reach out and help her fix her posture. A brief flush of embarrassment dusted his cheeks, thankfully Ayero’s full focus was directed towards her target. He looked on as the redhead released her arrow, able to hear her breathing through the sudden silence that had settled between them. This arrow actually hit the target solidly, not the center as she had intended but it was a start.

”Nice shot.” Ariq commented, trying to inject a little cheer into the uneasy air. Ayero grunted in response, slipping another arrow onto her bow and firing it, the second arrow landed just blow the first. She stood back, inspecting the placement of the two shots, pleased with herself for the moment. She glanced back at Ariq, her expression unknowingly hard. ”Sorry.”

Ariq raised his head, brows furrowing in confusion as he looked at the woman. Her face didn’t match her words, the apology somehow sounding…threatening? ”Sorry for what? You didn’t do anything wrong.” He tried to assure her in an attempt to smooth over this awkward situation.

Ayero frown, her confusion grown. It occurred to her that she didn’t know what she was apologizing for, but did so because she felt as if she owed him some sort of explanation for pulling away earlier. She didn’t think he was about to do anything lewd, but her instinct simply kicked in. ”I…uh, I don’t know. I’m just apologizing. I guess.” She shrugged, her intense gaze borne out of nervousness drilling into him.

Ariq looked surprised, but his face quickly melted into a more congenial expression. ”Alright, apology accepted, in that case. I’m sorry too.” The Fanalis woman frowned at this.

”Wait? What are you apologizing for?” Ayero felt like she had missed something, watching Ariq’s face carefully for any hint of mockery.

”For…anything, I suppose.”

Ayero searched Ariq’s face, finding nothing but sincerity written across his features. With a heavy sigh and a heave of her shoulders, the halfling picked up her bow and turned towards the field of targets once more. ”Let’s…just get as many shots in as we can before dark.” Ariq smiled and nodded, following her lead.

”Damnit…my shoulder hurts. Stupid…bow and arrows. Stupid Ariq and his…bow and arrows.” Ayero groaned as she entered her tent, collapsing onto the fur blanket Nazgul has so generously allowed her to borrow until she had earned her keep. She and Ariq had continued to practice until nightfall, and Ayero had just returned from dinner. Her shoulder began to burn with the ache of overuse and her mind was muddled from the alcohol she had indulged in while eating.

Rolling over, Ayero stared at the ceiling of the tent and sighed. She tried not to read too deeply into what had happened earlier between her and Ariq, but her mind moved too quickly. Even though his touch was platonic, it had sent tiny sparks leaping across her skin. Huh…it doesn’t mean anything. He just startled you, is all. And it’s been so long since anyone’s touched you, I guess it would be normal to react that way. Kinda pathetic, really, haha…

Sleep took over as Ayero succumbed to the tiring effects of the alcohol, nuzzling into the warmth of the fur blanket. She knew she’d be up all night overanalyzing if she allowed herself too, instead choosing to get some much needed rest.

[Dex Spec Training Complete:1779+2409=4188/2000]

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Two more weeks had passed by with Ayero training under Ariq and the other Cambulac archers, routinely in the mornings and occasionally during the evening when time and circumstance would allow it. Things seemed to even out between her and Ariq, and for that Ayero was grateful.

At the end of her third week of training, Ayero was called into Kadiu’s tent while helping Nazgul season and preserve some meat. Fear gripped at her heart instinctually, hoping that the Chief was not discontent with her. She couldn’t think of a reason why he would be as she had been careful to tread lightly until she felt as if she had a better handle on their customs. As it had turned out, the man told her that she was to go out hunting with Ariq in order to test her skills in the field. Grateful that she hadn’t somehow stumbled into trouble, Ayero agreed with the task and went off to prepare for it.

Hunting was far more boring than Ayero had initially perceived it to be. While she had slain a few wild beasts for food on her own in the past, she was always following her own lead and not someone else’s. She and Ariq had already come across several creatures, but the experienced hunter and turned away from them, deeming them too young or too difficult to kill on the tricky terrain. Ariq explained that hunting in the wilderness was far different than just shooting arrows at stationary targets. Judgment calls had to be made—young animals were left untouched, healthy ones were tricky to kill. The sick or elderly beasts were prime targets. And one had to move carefully too, using the land as cover and carefully placing their steps so as to not startle potential prey or stay hidden.

They’d spent several hours blending into the natural shadows of the earth, edging along the mouths of rock formations and avoiding twigs or crunchy leaves. Most of the trees were barren this time of year, leaves wet and buried under an expanse of white. The snow, Ariq explained, would help them easily track animals as their footprints and dropping stuck out against the stark white landscape. It also had the added benefit of cushioning their steps, so long as they were careful. Once it became warmer and the snow started melting, things would be messier.

Ayero followed Ariq’s footsteps, careful to mimic his movements to the best of his ability. It was awkward at first and she nearly tripped a few times when she wasn’t paying attention, but always caught herself before she could do something embarrassing. She lifted her head to look at Ariq after another near-stumble, marveling briefly at his natural he looked moving through the terrain like a professional, hand gripping the string of his bow gently as his eyes scanned the area around them. He makes it look so easy.

Maybe she’d grown to admire him over the past few weeks. He was skilled in what he did, and patient when teaching someone as easily frustrated as her. Things had gone off to a slow start and she gradually realized that he was right in saying that it would take some time for her to ease into the bow. Ayero looks down at the weapon in her hand and re-establishes her grip on the wooden limb. Ariq was right, it did feel more natural. Her hand knew to keep a gentle yet firm hold on the limb when shooting, and loading an arrow could usually be done in one swift movement. He’d even begun to teach her to shoot while moving, walking around targets that were still stationary. And now, here in the wild, she wonders if all of that is going to be enough.

Ayero didn’t realize that Ariq had stopped, nearly stumbling into his back when she looked up. The hunter had stopped, crouched slightly with his bow pointed towards the ground. He was looking into the distance, his keen eyes spotting an injured deer who had likely fallen down one of the steeper rock faces. The beast was covered in cuts and scrapes and one of its legs was heavily damaged from the fall. After examining their prey, Ariq turned his head towards Ayero and tilted his head in the injured deer’s direction.

”Do you see that? I doesn’t look like it can move very well. Let’s get closer. I’ll aim for its skull, you go for its leg. If we don’t kill it this time, we can at least try to wound it.” Ariq spoke in a low voice so as to not alert the deer to their presence. With that he began moving once more, carefully choosing his steps, pausing in his tracks each time the deer looked up. The pair of would-be hunters neared the animal, taking shelter behind a boulder. Ariq peered from behind the boulder, taking in the deer’s position in relation to their own. With a tilt of his head, he signaled for him and Ayero to move closer, using the ridges of the land to help shadow their movement.

Aim for the leg, aim for the leg… Ayero took in a deep breath as she crept closer, feeling like she wanted to ask Ariq something but didn’t want to risk speaking this close to their prey. Bringing up her bow, Ayero drew back the string as she took aim at the poor beast’s injured leg, moving forward by inches. The deer seemed largely unaware, limping about as it tried to work some vegetation growing out from between the cracks in the rocks. Ayero sent a brief sideways glance toward Ariq, noting the mask of concentration across his face as he worked to give himself the best chance of striking the deer in the head.

Turning from Ariq to the deer, Ayero’s eyes flared as she took aim at the beast. Just a little more…and…!!! The Fanalis woman gasped as she felt her foot catch something, her body lurching forward, losing balance just as her mind triggered the signal to release the arrow. A sharp pain pierced her left foot causing her to cry out as she fell down onto her knee. The noise the woman had made disturbed the deer, the skittish animal picking its head up in alarm before scampering off out of sight, dodging Ariq’s well-placed arrow by a fraction of a second.

Ayero maneuvered to her side, staring at the arrow sticking out from her foot in utter shock. Upon hearing her cry of pain, Ariq dropped from his stance and rushed over to the Fanalis woman, an equal look of shock spreading along his face. ”Ayero! What happened? Did…did you shoot yourself in the foot?” The surprise seemed to fade from his face a little as his eyes landed on the arrow indeed sticking from the woman’s foot.

Ayero grunted, squinting her eyes in pain. She’d taken arrows before, but never one this…close. Thankfully it wasn’t tipped with poison or explosive. ”Nng…y-yeah…” The halfling looked away from Ariq’s concerned gaze, embarrassed and ashamed of her mistake. ”Sorry…about that. The deer…it got away.” Ayero grunted, finding it easier to fix her eyes on the spot where the deer once was. Ariq placed a hand on her knee, causing her to jump and turn towards him. Thankfully he wasn’t looking at her face, instead leaning over her injured foot.

”Don’t worry about it, that deer was too injured to go very far. I guess you two have that in common, because it doesn’t look like you’ll be walking back to camp by yourself.” Ayero arched a brow, almost in challenge. Ariq met her expression with a raised brow of his own. He had both sustained and treated arrow wounds before and felt as if his judgment was sound. ”Luckily for us, camp is only a few hours away. It looks like we’ll be heading back early.”

Ayero felt a pang of shame in her heart and she looked down at the arrow in her foot. I can’t believe I did something so stupid…how hard is it to not shoot yourself? It’s almost impossible, but I somehow managed to do it. And now you’ll be going back empty handed, with nothing to show for your training. Ariq wasted his time on you.” Angry thoughts rolled around in her head as she chewed at her bottom lip in thought, seconds away from ripping the arrow out of her foot and charging after the deer like a wild woman. But she knew that as painful as it was, the arrow had to stay embedded into her flesh for now. They could begin the painful process of removing it properly and cleaning the wound once they returned to camp.

”Alright, up you go.” Ariq grunted as he slid one arm behind Ayero’s back and the other under the bend of her knees. In one swift movement, the hunter had lifted her upwards into his arms. The sudden closeness and movement startled Ayero who was unprepared for the contact.

”Kyaa!”

Ariq paused, trying to keep a mildly amused expression from leaking onto his face. ”Did you just…are you alright?” He looked down at the woman cradled in his arms, a flush of embarrassment and frustration settling onto her face.

”I didn’t say anything.” She insisted, her tone losing a bit of its intended edge due to the pain spiraling through her foot and up into her ankle and shin. She bit the inside of her cheek and sent him a sharp glare, trying her best to look the part of an intimidating warrioress while being carried as she was unable to walk on her own.

”You definitely did. It was like a squeak, or something.” Ariq grinned down at Ayero despite her glare, finding that he rather enjoyed having the red headed woman in is arms. She had been unflappable to the majority of his teasing, her stern warrior-like demeanor deflecting his words with an arched brow or a glare.

”There’s no way I would—“ Ayero paused as she squeezed her eyes shut, gritting her teeth against a sudden surge of pain in her foot. Ariq’s face fell at seeing her discomfort and felt a bit bad for teasing her earlier.

”Alright, alright, just calm down and relax for once. Maybe try to sleep on the way back? I promise I’ll stop teasing you for now.”” Ariq looked down at Ayero as the woman relented, nodding and resting her head against the juncture of his arm and chest.

He’s warm…People are always warm, duh. Ayero swallowed thickly as she tried to relax her body, that task being a bit difficult with the fresh injury to her foot and her ability to feel Ariq’s toned arms and chest. The Fanalis woman tried to focus on something other than the pain, but the next thing she could focus on was the man carrying her and how nice it felt. What are you, a hormonal teenager? Get it together. You should be ashamed and angry at yourself for losing the kill like that. Ayero fought her initial feelings, not wanting to admit to herself that she was growing content with the contact. She remained silent, her body gradually relaxing into Ariq’s hold as they made their way back towards the camp.

[D to C Dex Training: 1893/500]

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

It had been several days since Ayero and Ariq returned from their failed hunt. Luckily most of the tribe was more amused that the Fanalis managed to shoot herself in the foot than disappointed in the lack of game. The arrow was worked from her foot and Ayero was given plenty of drink to help numb the pain, the resulting wound beginning to heal thanks to Kabu’s enzymatic saliva. Still, the bandage remained around her foot, her movement hindered from the injury. Seeing as how she wouldn’t be allowed to hunt in this condition, Ayero returned to helping Nazgul with her duties for the time being.

”Does your foot still hurt?” Nazgul peered over towards Ayero. The women were currently in Nazgul’s family tent, sitting cross legged as they worked on textiles. The dark haired woman was weaving a set of clothes for her son, Altan, the child resting across her lap.

”A little. It should pass in a few days.” Ayero grunted as she bit through the sinew she was using to sew a hole in her cloak. ”I want to go back out and finish that hunt.”

Nazgul laughed softly at the other woman’s determination. ”So you can put an arrow through your other foot, too?”

Not wanting to play into the clever woman’s teasing, Ayero tried to focus on the work in front of her. ”No, Nazgul. Why would I want that?” The red haired woman was growing somewhat exasperated with her condition, not one to succumb to an injury.

”Well, you look like you enjoyed being held in Ariq’s arms. I was worried that you’d injure yourself again for his attention.”

”You think I—“ Ayero began to sputter, prepared to give an angry retort when the baby on Nazgul’s lap began to fuss. Both women gave pause in their respective tasks, the child’s cries drawing on their maternal drive.

”His teeth have started to come in, I need to get something for him to bite on…would you mind holding him?” Nazgul hoisted her son into her arms and gave Ayero a partially hopeful look. To her surprise the Fanalis woman nodded and put down her needle and thread. The young mother half expected for Ayero to turn her down curtly. Nevertheless, Nazgul scooted closer to Ayero and gently deposited the baby in her arms.

Ayero looked down Altan, still a little shocked that she had agreed so quickly to hold the infant. It had been years since she held a baby, but as soon as Nazgul placed the bundle of warmth in her arms she felt her nurturing instinct return. It was like going back in time for a brief moment, back to when Ayero helped her mother care for her horde of squabbling siblings. Unbeknownst to her, a slow genuine smile curved across her face as she stared down at the tiny child. Ayero’s arms shifted into a more natural hold, allowing Altan to rest his head on the bend of her elbow as she cradled him close to her chest. Nazgul raised a brow at the unexpected scene but deemed her son safe with Ayero and hurried off to go retrieve a polished wooden teething ring for Altan to chew on.

The Fanalis barely noticed Nazgul leaving the tent, her focus pouring onto the child. She’d had little opportunity to express her motherly urges since leaving her home aside from caring for Vin. In this moment, Ayero briefly wondered if she should just settle in the mountains again. Part of her missed having a stable life where she would know what to expect and what was expected of her. She was confident that she could learn to assimilate to the Cambulac way of life, marry and raise children. Here there was no war, no slavery, no broken families.

As Altan began to squirm and whine against Ayero, the Fanalis played good babysitter and began to gently bounce the baby in her arms reflexively. She crooned to the child softly when he began to settle, moving one of her hands to softly brush a swath of the child’s dark hair back across his forehead. Ayero looked up sharply when Nazgul cleared her throat, not even realizing that the other woman had entered the tent.

”Uh…here. I kept him…safe?” Ayero held the child up to his mother, cheeks red with the embarrassment of having been caught being gentle. It would certainly seem out of character when she had only been known as a stern, no-nonsense warrior to these people.

”I can see that.” Nazgul chuckled, arching her brows and reaching to take the child from Ayero before handing him a wooden ring. Altan immediately stuck the heavily polished wood into his mouth and began chewing on it. ”Don’t worry, I won’t tell the others that you’ve secretly got a heart.”

Ariq lay awake in his tent, contemplating the events that had transpired over the past few days. He hadn’t expected the Fanalis woman to shoot herself in the foot, but then again she was still a rookie. Mistakes would be common, but generally not as…severe. She seemed to tolerate having the arrowhead removed from her foot well enough, even moreso when she had been given some goat’s milk spirits for the pain. A chuckle surfaced in his throat as he remembers how bawdy her speech and mannerisms became under the influence of alcohol.

Ariq turned over onto his side, his thoughts focused on the Fanalis woman. She was an outsider, one of few his father had taken a liking to for some reason. Ariq hadn’t been present himself for her first stay with the tribe but had heard stories of her abnormal strength and her duel with Chief Kaidu. He wondered how the woman had gone about gaining Kaidu’s approval, seeing as how the man was incredibly wary of strangers who stumbled upon their reclusive tribe.

A slow smile curved along the hunter’s face as he brought to mind the injury Ayero had inflicted upon herself. At the time he was alarmed, caught off guard by her mistake and ensuing payment of said mistake. He allowed himself to look back on the memory with some amusement now that she was alright, recalling how some of the other hunters had laughed good-naturedly at her dumb mistake after she had been bandaged. The Fanalis woman had only blushed in embarrassment before begrudgingly admitting that it was a stupid mistake. But the healing of her wound was accelerated thanks to the snake’s saliva and all was well.

She’s made progress, though. Ariq admitted to himself as he rolled over onto his back and sat up, scratching at his messy hair. The halfling had come a long way in a few weeks, despite the mishap in the forest. She had the basics down, and Ariq noticed that she had been more patient in her training. She still gets frustrated easily, but it’s a start. As long as she puts effort in, she will continue to progress. The dark haired young man reached beside him, retrieving a wooden bow limb and knife from the side of his sleeping pelt. He began whittling away at the wood, giving it a more defined shape as he thought of the woman he had been training over the past weeks.

At first he was struck by her foreign appearance, never having seen hair so red or a female body so exposed. He had heard the legend of the red headed warrior tribe Fanalis, but to him they simply remained a legend. But the woman had quickly proved her inhuman strength and speed through physical tasks, leaving Ariq to wonder how many other myths he’d heard were actually true.

Though she did have a bit of a temper, he found it oddly charming. She was strong-willed and focused, something he could appreciate in a person. At the start of their training she wasn’t very expressive, masking any emotions she had under a stern face. But as time progressed, Ariq’s careful observation and attention to detail would allow him to catch the faintest of smiles that appeared on her face when she struck a target with accuracy. Now her standoffishness was more endearing than it was vexing to him, though he still held a healthy amount of respect for her as both a warrior and a woman.

Ariq’s eyes crinkled from soft laughter as he reflected on the strange woman from the city, the bow beginning to take shape as he whittled away at the bow limb. The pleasant thoughts continued as he began to carve small, intricate designs in the wood.

Ayero exited her tent early the next morning, only to raise a brow as she found nearly the entire tribe awake and working. I guess I’ve been oversleeping compared to them. The Fanalis woman made her way toward the Chief’s tent, flexing her foot a she walked. Only minor discomfort remained which did not hinder her movement, and she supposed that even this would dissipate shortly. She waved in greeting as several children ran by giggling, their faces smeared red with rouge she had brought as part of her gift. She nearly snorted at the sight, glad that at least someone was making use of the cosmetic.

”Chief Kaidu? It’s Ayero. I have something to discuss with you, if you’ll allow me.” Ayero stood outside of the tent and announced her presence. The sound of shuffling and an affirming grunt followed shortly thereafter, and Ayero entered the tent with her head bowed out of respect before lifting it slightly. Kaidu was seated on his pelts as usual, cross legged with an elbow resting on his knee as a held a cup of tea.

”You are up early.” The man comments, tilting his head down to take a sip of the drink. ”Tea?”

”No thank you, Chief Kaidu.” Ayero responds politely and takes a seat as Kaidu waves his free hand downwards.

”What business is it you wish to discuss, then?” He passes her a cup of steaming tea anyway, ignoring her courteous refusal. Kaidu strokes his beard thoughtfully with one hand while giving Ayero an inquisitive look, imploring her to speak.

Wrapping both hands around the cup of tea, Ayero looks down into the drink for a few brief moments to gather her thoughts. Finally she raises her head so that her eyes meet with the Chief’s own and begins her request. ”Chief Kaidu, I would like to request another opportunity to test my hunting skills.”

At this, the great Chief cocked an eyebrow. ”Are you not still injured? I didn’t think you’d be so foolish as to begin a heavy task with an injury.” His eyes sweep to her foot, unable to tell the extent of her injury from the armor the woman wore.

”The healing saliva of my snake companion has helped to accelerate the healing.  I am both ready and capable, Chief Kaidu.” Ayero stares boldly into the Chief’s eyes, hoping that her gaze reflected her earnest feelings.

The Chief hummed and took another slow drink of his morning tea. ”I’ve no doubt you are ready. But capable is not how I would describe an archer who puts an arrow through their own foot. Hunting is necessary to our way of life, not something we do simply for sport. One bad hunt can impact the entire tribe; why should I waste more time and resources on you?” He gave Ayero a pointed look, waiting for her response.

The Fanalis woman tensed at his words, knowing them to be true. A poor hunter was a liability, but she knew that she could do better. Clearing her throat, she steels her nerves and her voice. ”If you allow me another chance, Chief Kaidu, you have my word that I will return with game worthy of the Chief himself.” Speaking with conviction, Ayero hoped that her words would sway the man into giving her another opportunity to advance her skills.

”Oh?” The swarthy man rubbed at his chin, intrigued and amused by her words. ”Very well then. You and Ariq shall go further into the mountains this time where the better game thrives. If you succeed, you may continue your training. But if you fail, I will not allow you to return to the Cambulac.”

[C to B-Tier Dex Training: 2053/1500]

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

”So…what’s it like in the city?”

Ayero raised her head from the smoked meat she had been eating, her face reflecting surprised at Ariq’s sudden question. The pair had begun their journey north, following the migratory path of the mountain caribou. The beasts lived in a more treacherous environment and were swifter and more difficult to fell than regular mountain deer, but they tended to be larger creatures and highly valued by the Cambulac for their meat and fur. Ayero and Ariq had been traveling for most of the day, setting up camp when it became too dark and dangerous to wander about. Now they were eating dinner over a small fire, hoping to survive on the rations of jerked and salted meat they had brought with them.

Swallowing the food that was in her mouth, Ayero tilted her head upwards in thought. She wondered how to explain the city to Ariq, a man who had never left his home in the mountains. ”It’s…very different, that’s for sure. The people there live in houses and tall buildings made from stone, clay and sometimes wood depending on where you go. In parts of the city, some of these buildings are pushed very close together. During the day there are markets in the bazaar where merchants from all over the world come and sell their wares. It is very busy, loud and crowded. Sometimes it is overwhelming, but other times it is exciting. That’s how it is in Remano, at least. In smaller cities it’s not as busy.” Ayero began to honestly recall the details of city life, trying her best to help Ariq draw a mental image. She imagined that her description sounded rather foreign in his mind.

”Tall buildings…how tall? Taller than these trees?” Ariq raised a hand to point to the trees that surrounded them, prompting Ayero to squint upwards.

”Some of them, actually.” Ayero responds thoughtfully with a shrug.

Ariq snorted and bit into his jerky once more, chewing the meat and swallowing it quickly. ”What do people in the city need all of that space for? It seems silly.”

”Space?” It was Ayero’s turn to snort in amusement. ”There’s very little personal space there, simply because there are so many people. It’s not like out here in the mountains, where most people live few and far in between. I found it shocking at first, but I acclimated.”

Ariq paused, looking up from his meal. ”Wait, you’re not from the city?” He frowned. ”I was told that you were from the city.”

”No, but that’s not entirely false.” Ayero pointed out through a mouthful before swallowing. ”I’ve lived in Remano for the past few months, and a few other cities before that. But I was born and spent much of my childhood in these mountains.”

Ariq blinked and lowered his skewer of meat. ”That…makes a lot of sense, actually. I thought you took to mountain life rather quickly, but it’s in your blood too, huh?” He gave her a smile before resuming eating.

”I guess.” Ayero grunted though a mouthful, her thoughts once again turning to her family. Though she had begun to heal, some memories were still painful.

Ariq examined Ayero carefully from out of the corner of his eye. He wanted to continue peppering the woman with questions, eager to learn about the new land his sister had supposedly restarted her life in. But she seemed discontent for some reason and he chose not to press any further, instead allowing them to lapse into a companionable silence as they ate.

It took several days for Ariq to determine that their rations were beginning to run low. Not wanting to be caught without food, the pair of hunters put their travels on hold for several hours while they hunted smaller critters that could be roasted quickly and eaten.

”Damnit!” Ayero groaned as she let her arms flop to the sides after releasing an arrow. This was the third time her arrow had gone askew, missing her mark and scaring off yet another rabbit. She had done well in sneaking up on the creature until she came within firing range, but something was off with her shot.

”Having trouble?” Ariq approached her, a tingle of amusement in his voice. Ayero frowned at number of wild rabbit carcasses that were hanging from his belt. It would provide both of them with food for the next few days, but Ayero didn’t want to feel useless. Showoff.

”These rabbits are too fast.” She responds blankly, dissatisfied with her performance thus far and lying through her teeth. Ariq would know she was lying, having seen the shot and knew that the rabbits weren’t the problem. He watched as Ayero nocked another arrow onto her bow, his eyes sweeping over her form to check her posture as she released the arrow. The projectile would soar through the air, missing the squirrel she tried to hit and sinking into a tree instead.

”UGH!” Ayero snarled and threw her bow to the ground in a fit of irritation, letting her Fanalis temper take over for a brief moment. Startled, Ariq took a step back and out of her way, not wanting to be in the path of the woman’s rage. Ayero seemed to notice his reaction and calmed a bit, the anger draining from her features but the frustration apparent on the face. Trying to appear nonthreatening, Ariq stepped forward and spoke in a soothing tone.

”You’re doing everything right, but your posture is a bit off when you draw back. Do you need for me to help you?” He smiled when the Fanalis woman deflated and nodded meekly before instructing her to resume her stance. ”Load another arrow onto your bow and I’ll help you.” Ayero did as she was told, retrieving another arrow from her quiver and nocking it onto her bow. Ariq stepped closer to her before speaking again. ”Now pull the string back, but don’t release.”

As Ayero drew the string back, Ariq stood behind the woman and placed his arm flush against her own, his shoulder and chest pressing against her back from the positioning. Ayero’s breath hitched in her throat as she felt the unexpected sensation of skin against skin, the contact making her shiver. Ariq couldn’t help but smirk at her reaction, half-expecting the woman to knee him in the groin or whirl around and smack him. Not wanting to give her enough time to regain her senses and do just that, he slides his hand up to her elbow.

”Keep your elbow straight when you draw back. It keeps moving downwards, and will cause your arrows to fly higher than you wanted them to.” His hot breath fanned against her neck as his words rolled into her ear causing Ayero suppressed another shudder. Ariq began to guide her arm back down slowly, keeping his hand at her elbow in order to guide her arm properly. ”Again.” Ariq slid his hand down along her arm as she pulled the string back, able to feel the goosebumps that had perked up on Ayero’s arm. He wouldn’t deny that the contact had excited him as well, his breathing quickening and his heart beating faster as he continued to instruct the Fanalis woman.

Ayero swallowed thickly and kept her eyes dead forward, afraid to move them even an inch. She could feel the curve of Ariq’s shoulder and chest pressed against her back, the physical contact nearly overwhelming and certainly distracting from the archery lesson at hand. Her arm began to shake ever so slightly and she would have cursed had her mouth not gone dry. All she could do was concentrate on steadying her breathing as Ariq guided her arm back and forth, shaping her arm’s movements with his own until he was sure she understood how to properly draw the bow back.

”Try releasing an arrow again.” Ayero nearly choked on her own spit as Ariq’s words tumbled into her ear, his voice shockingly lower and more predatory than before. Shortly after he spoke, the man slowly removed his arm from Ayero’s and stepped back in order to give her more room. Ayero’s body simultaneously missed the physical contact and screamed out in relief, partially glad to be free of his distracting touch.

Taking in a deep breath, the halfling fought the rising heat in her body by pouring all of her focus into the next shot. She drew her arm back once more, her body remembering how to move from Ariq’s guidance. Aiming for a nearby wild rabbit that had wandered into their camp, Ayero’s arrow found its mark and dug into the creature’s skull. The Fanalis archer dropped her bow with a breath of relief, twitching slightly when Ariq placed a hand on her shoulder.

”Good job! See how much I helped?” The man beamed at her, pleased with her work. Ayero only raised a brow and snorted, shaking her head.

[C to B-Tier Dex Training: 3548/1500]

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Way off Target [Dex Training/Plot] LecFSqI

A week later the hunting duo reached the territory of the mountain caribou and set to work scouting the area. The followed hoof track along what the caribou’s migratory path was known to be until they found the herd grazing on mountain foliage. As Ayero returned from gathering firewood, she raised a brow when she found Ariq pitching a tent.

Ayero had initially felt awkward around Ariq after the incident that had taken place a few days ago, but that feeling gradually faded when she realized that there was no one else out here to judge them. Ariq hadn’t made fun of her for her uncharacteristic reactions making her feel safer and more open to him. So far their physical interactions were vaguely platonic, but the tension that hung between them was undeniable.

”What do we need that for?” The Fanalis woman dumped the firewood to the ground before approaching Ariq. The tent was small and made from animal hides, but Ayero didn’t see why they needed it. They had slept outdoors for the entire trip, choosing caves and overhangs to keep them safe from the chill. Their heavy sleeping furs did the job well enough, even in this harsher climate.

”Because of that.” Ariq’s eyes were fixed on the rigging of the tent as he pointed skyward behind him. Ayero shielded her eyes with one hand as she squinted in the distance, finally noticing the white clouds billowing from the ground up and heading their way. A snowstorm.

The red headed woman frowned at the realization that this could potentially prolong or ruin their hunt. So far they had been fortunate enough to avoid any inclement weather on their journey up. ”When will it get here?”

Ariq grunted as he tied a knot in place. ”Can’t be sure. I’m guessing by tonight, hopefully the brunt of it will be over by morning. Hunting these beasts in the snow is practically impossible.”

The tent had been smaller than Ayero had initially judged it to be, now that she and Ariq had settled into it for the night. Both the man and woman had tried to fall asleep quickly, but the howling of the wind against the tent made it difficult. And so they laid there in silence, laying back to back so close that they were almost touching.

”Have you seen her?” Ariq’s voice rose from the stillness within the tent, cracking slightly and he cleared his throat after speaking.

”Who?” Ayero answered almost too quickly, as if she had been waiting for him to break the silence and speak first.

”Khutulun. My little sister.” The shifting of fabric could be heard as Ariq displaced his sleeping pelt by moving onto his back. ”She left to make a new life for herself in the city and we haven’t heard from her since.”

Ayero took in a breath and opened her eyes, unconsciously clutching her blanket closer to her chest. ”I have seen her. Khutulun fights in the coliseum in Remano. It’s a big arena where fighters from all over come to challenge one another. The winner of each match gets paid by the coliseum for their efforts.” Ayero paused before thinking of anything else she could add to soothe Ariq’s worry over his sister. Even though he hadn’t expressed any verbal concern, she could hear it in his voice as it was a familiar feeling for her. ”She fights fiercely. I haven’t had the chance to go up against her myself, but I’ve seen her matches before.” She wonders how Khutulun had faired during the war, if she fought alongside Reim or if she decided to flee or take over. She wouldn’t blame the eagle huntress for the latter, war was terrifying and it was possible she held no allegiance to Reim as a country.

Ariq exhaled, a chuckle riding on his breath as he thought of his headstrong sister. Kutulun was never satisfied with her life in Cambulac, and he admired her for pursuing her own path. But he missed her dearly and worried for her, hoping she was able to fare well in the city. ”Do you have any brothers or sisters, Ayero?” The words were spoken without much thought, forgetting that the topic of family wasn’t as benign as he had initially thought.

Silence fell between the two as Ayero chewed on her lower lip, inwardly debating what her answer should be. While she did not want to dishonor her family by only mentioning her living siblings, she did not want to delve into her family’s history. She did not know Ariq well enough and the memories were too painful, they would only serve to distract her here. ”I have a younger brother, Vin. He’s 10 years old. Likes animals, he even named Tomato.” Ayero finally settled on only mentioning her youngest living sibling. It was less painful that way and Ayero found it easier to speak of the likable child rather than strain to reminisce on memories of Neem and the others, despite the fact that the former was likely still living.

The thought of the fierce warrior woman doting on a younger brother brought a smile to Ariq’s lips. ”It sounds like you’re a good big sister.” His voice held a tone of genuine amusement.

Ayero gave a sigh as she rolled over onto her back, rubbing her face with both hands. ”I try to be. He’s a handful, but we’re family.” She fold her arms comfortably over her chest when she feels her hair move slightly. Opening her eyes and turning onto her side to face Ariq, Ayero gave the man an inquisitive look as he ran a finger through her hair, crooking the digit around red strands. She didn’t pull away from the touch just as she had not before, content with the contact for the time being. Her mind would tell her to push him away, but in the end she would find that she did not dislike the contact, enjoying it even. Ariq was always respectful, carefully reading her body language and backing off when she seemed to withdraw.

Ayero mused briefly on her feelings for the man lying next to her as they enjoyed the silence and simply gazed at one another. She had grown fond of him over the past few weeks…had it been a month already? He was patient and perceptive, able to read her emotions with decent success as he had grown acclimated to her body language. Ayero had very little romantic experience, most of her intimate contact spontaneous and free. She saw nothing wrong with satisfying her body’s needs as they arose, so long as she was careful going about it.

Ayero made no objection as Ariq place his other hand on her hip, pulling the woman close to him with a grunt. The Fanalis gave a soft gasp of surprise as she felt his hips reflexively press into her own, her body giving a slight tremble in anticipation. A second later Ariq had found her mouth, pressing his chapped lips against her own as his hand ran up and down her side in a gentle gesture. Ayero accepted the kiss, the heat between the two on a cold winter’s night dizzying as they worked to stoke the fire of their desires. As the hunter trailed his lips down her neck and onto the exposed skin of her collarbone, Ayero wove a hand through Ariq’s hair and let her eyes fall closed. The wind howled against the tent angrily, the storm outside reaching it’s peak...

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Ariq was correct in his guess, the storm had dissipated in the early hours of the morning after dumping a good amount of snow onto the rocky terrain. The cloud cover cleared by dawn, giving the sun the opportunity to streak down directly onto the little tent. The thin yet sturdy animal hide cause the light to scatter and spill over Ayero’s face as she slept soundly. Murmuring, the Fanalis woman slowly stirred from her sleep as she was assaulted by the flittering light. Ayero grunts and rolls over, trying to recall the events of last night. After noticing she was alone in the tent, the woman frowns to herself. Where is Ariq? She sits up, pulling the fur blanket up and over her nude chest. She shivered as the chilly air hit her bare skin, quickly dressing herself in her more climate appropriate garments.

That’s right…last night, we… Ayero chewed on her lower lip as she tugged her thermal shirt down over her stomach, finally drawing on last night’s memories. Ariq’s absence worried her though, and she wondered if he thought last night would change anything between them. Lifting back the flap of the tent, Ayero squints as the bright sunlight reflects harshly off of the freshly fallen snow.

”You really do like to sleep in.”

Ayero whirled around to see Ariq sitting by the fire pit they had used last night, roasting two skewers of rabbit over the fire he had made. ”Here, you’re going to need some energy for the hunt today. I’ve already gone out and checked on the herd; they haven’t gone very far and the deep snow should slow them down. Perfect conditions for a hunt, we should be able to fell one with no problem so long as you don’t put any more arrows in your foot.” Ariq beamed at the red headed woman as he handed her a skewer of meat.

Ayero hesitated, scanning Ariq’s face and body language before huffing in response to his quip and taking the skewer. Her stomached gurgled in response as the scent of cooked meat hit her nose and Ariq laughed.

”I bet you worked up an appetite after last night, hm?”

Ayero paused after biting into the meat before chewing and swallowing. ”I’m surprised you could keep up.” She snorted before digging back into the meat, finding herself hungrier than she had previously thought.

The hunting duo quickly finished their meal, extinguishing the fire and breaking down the tent in preparation for the hunt. Hopefully they’d take down a prize worthy caribou by the end of the day and start heading down the mountain tomorrow.

”Ah, I have something for you.”

Ariq grinned at Ayero and handed her a bow he had fished out of his bag, higher quality than the one she had been loaned and similar in make to Ariq’s own.

Way off Target [Dex Training/Plot] WnfTwwB

”I thought you should have a Cambulac bow of your own to take back into the city and show off. It’s more difficult to handle than the one you’ve been using, but I think you’re skilled enough to put it to good use by now. Use it today to take down your first caribou.”

Ayero was stunned into silence as Ariq handed her the gift, running her hands over the limb of the bow. It was beautifully crafted by an expert, and she felt her heart flutter in spite of herself. Her initial reaction was to reject such a fine gift, but Ariq had made it for her and she was touched by the gesture and his confidence in her skills as an archer. After a few moments of marveling, the Fanalis woman looked up at her companion.

”Thank you Ariq, it’s beautiful. Does it have a name?”

Pausing in thought, Ariq tilted his gaze upwards. ”I’ve been calling it Nergui, but you can name it whatever you like.”

Ayero’s brows furrowed as she pondered the origin of the name from what little she knew of ancient Cambulac words. ”Nergui...’nothing’? Why would you name a bow that?”

Ariq laughed, gesturing with his hands as he explained the name to her. ”It’s a name to keep bad spirits away. I thought it would be fitting, to protect you from the bad in the world.”

”Hm…” Ayero strapped the bow onto her back, turning to Ariq once it had been properly secured. ”That’s a good name for it.”

It took several hours for Ariq and Ayero to reach the caribou herd, finding them at rest and trying to pull whatever vegetation they could from the frozen ground. ”We should hurry while we still can,” Ariq had warned ”They’ll be moving to the other side of the mountain soon where there is more food.”

And so the waiting game began, Ayero and Ariq taking their time in moving closer towards the group of animals, trying to pick out the old and sick beasts as potential targets. When the herd began to move, the pair of hunters moved in as close as possible, using the shadows and vegetation as cover. While the young and strong moved ahead, the weaker caribou were left behind and became easier targets to predators. The archers had singled out a large male caribou with a limp who appeared to be getting on in years. They built a plan between quick whispers before Ariq slunk off toward the opposite side of the caribou group.

Ayero kept her eyes focused on their prey as Ariq moved, her gaze occasionally sliding back to her partner to check his position. When Ariq raised his bow, Ayero nocked an arrow and drew her string back while creeping forward, staying with the shadows. The male archer sent an arrow into one of the caribou’s hind legs causing the animal to bleat in surprise and pain, startling those around it into a frenzy. The caribou charged unknowingly in Ayero’s direction as she had moved upwind, glad that Ariq’s judgement had been spot on thus far. Taking in a quick breath, Ayero released her arrow aimed for the caribou’s head. The projectile struck the creature at the juncture of his neck and front leg, slowed but not felled yet.

Another arrow whizzed from behind, Ariq striking the animal’s side causing it to bellow and thrash in pain. Ayero drew in a long breath as she took aim, determined to have this kill. Her next arrow shot through the air and struck the caribou between the eyes, the tip of the weapon driving into the beast’s skull. Another arrow from Ariq struck the creature’s neck and he cried out in pain, crashing to the ground as his herd thundered off, startled by the commotion.

Ayero lowered her bow slowly, a grin splitting her face. She had felt the power of the bow from her last shot, finding that while it was harder to control, the force and speed behind her shots had increased. She was well aware that Ariq let her have the kill, knowing that the skilled archer would not have missed his first shot as she had. But she was proud of herself regardless for having held her word to Chief Kaidu, remembering how she had talked a big game in front of him. Wouldn’t he be surprised that she went from shooting herself in the foot to felling a respectable creature! With the help of an expert, of course.

It had been several days since Ayero and Ariq had returned from their hunt, this time victorious. A small celebration was thrown with the meat from the mountain caribou upon their arrival, and Ayero took several days to rest before she planned to head back into the city. Seeking a little solitude the night before her departure, the Fanalis woman had made her way to the top of a ravine to be alone with her thoughts.

”The sky is nice and clear tonight, isn’t it?”

Ayero raised a brow and half-turned her head, not surprised in the least that she didn’t sense the hunter walk up behind her. He had almost a natural way of moving undetected. Ayero tilted her head in an offer for him to join her, Ariq responding by sitting down next to her. He left a few inches of space between them for comfort, unsure of where he stood with the young woman. Ayero had the bow he had given her on her lap, idly playing with the sinew of the string.

Ariq leaned back onto his hands and sighed, closing his eyes. Ayero looked over at him, the questioning look on her face melting into one of understanding as she turned her attention back down to the bow.

”Are you really going to leave tomorrow?”

Ayero turned her focus back to the man once more, struggling to keep a solemn look on her face.

”What do you want me to do, Ariq?”

The male archer pinched the bridge of his nose with his hand, seeming to be battling with conflicted thoughts. He reopened his eyes and pushed himself upwards so that his back was straight and he was facing Ayero, looking her in the eyes.

”I want you to stay here, Ayero. You can have a good life in Cambulac with us, with me. We both have mountain blood, after all. That is what I want. What do you want, Ayero?”

The red headed woman placed her bow gently on the ground, grinding her teeth for a few moments. She couldn’t deny the affection that she began to have for the man, and from a familial standpoint he seemed like he would be a good provider and father. She pictured with a family, a husband that loved her and little children of her own. She was somewhat accustomed to their way of life, but it reminded her of the way she was raised. In part it was a good thing, it gave her a feeling of nostalgia like nothing else could, but it was scary too. If she settled here she would not be able to travel as she pleased and her life would be dedicated to the tribe. Her passion for freedom and fear of being tied down won out over the safety and happiness Ariq could have potentially given her.

”I’m sorry, Ariq.” Ayero shook her head. ”But I can’t stay. I can’t be bound by a life of isolation.”

”I understand.” Ariq sighed heavily and gave Ayero an encouraging grin that did not reach his eyes. ”Tell my sister I said hi, if you get the chance to meet her. Try not to forget about me while you’re traveling around?”

Ayero’s face softened and she gave Ariq a tiny smile before leaning in and brushing her lips against his. ”I won’t.”

[Exit]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum