Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

Assignment Name: Excavation in the Mountains
Assignment Rank: B
Assignment Location: Reim
Assignment Rewards: 200XP/15,000 Huang
Profession Prerequisites: Archeology
Assignment Overview: The Historical Society in Reim has heard about an abandoned city in ruins in the mountains in Southern Reim. They have asked that you go with a team of their excavators to examine the ruins and bring back information and artifacts. The abandoned city seems to have been carved into the side of the mountain and the white appearance of the stone buildings adds to the ghostly appearance. Scattered through the ruins are artifacts covered with a long-dead language known to some as belonging to the Alma Torran. To complete this assignment you must discover, excavate, examine and make notes on 5 artifacts and return them to the Historical Society. The Historical Society is particularly interested in any tomes you may be able to recover.

Items you may find will include:

• Slates of stone covered in the language, detailing the trade of the city.
  • 2 tomes filled with runes of ancient magical computation attempts with much of the text only half-legible.
  • A vase filled with coins from the lost civilization imprinted with the face of an unknown ruler.
  • Murals showing someone raising a massive structure in an unknown location.
  • Ledgers regarding trade with other unknown civilizations.
  • Various items used in every day life of the people that once lived there (tools, household rubbish, petrified food, ancient etching tools, jewelry, etc)
  • A small orb with Torran runes etched around it.

After looking over the various occupations Azix had already brought into the job training venture known as Opportunity Hall, Yakuroro found the listed trades lacking in those focused on intellectual pursuits. This brought a frown to the Imuchakk magician's face as he stood over Azix's desk in Opportunity Hall itself. There was an assistant standing next to him which had brought the documents listing the various fields of work that had been convinced to join the work force building efforts. Yakuroro looked down at the young human man with raised eyebrows and a quizzical expression, "This is everything?" The man was good at his job apparently as there was no stutter or pause in his efficiently quick reply. Azix had trained these people well.

"Yes. The list is dismally small, I know. But it's harder to enlist groups to join than one might hope. We can only offer them so many incentives and the funding left to us by Marquis Azix is vast but not limitless. We DO have a budget from the taxes to bolster our coffers as well...but even so, much of it must be spent on the people we help and we must be frugal if we expect to continue to do so as the size of the program grows."

It was an understandably tight situation, Yakuroro could see now why Azix was hesitant to leave the hall unattended in his absence. "Marquis Azix, how did he manage to enlist the professions mentioned here?" Yaku asked, somewhat finding it hard to believe that he succeeded in convincing the leaders of these industries to help on promise of coin alone. "I don't know all the details, but he made efforts to visit the groups personally. He was quite dedicated to the work."

Finding this response to be acceptable, Yakuroro had all that he needed. The Imuchakk gave the human a nod and then handed the scrolls back to him before dismissing the assistant. "Thank you, you can take these back where they came from. I suppose that I must follow your employer's example. I'll be heading out to make some personal visits myself. I will strive to be back periodically in case I am needed for anything." The magician gave a light bow in appreciation for the young man's efforts and then took his staff in hand before heading out the door. After ducking his way through halls and door frames build for humans rather than Imuchakk, Yakuroro found himself outside among the streets and fresh air where he could thankfully walk without being hunched over like a elder.

"Now then...where to start..." Yakuroro asked himself as he lacked any real leads at the moment. The Imuchakk closed his eyes and stood silently as he made a mental map of a few professions he knew existed within Reim which were not on the list and provided a different kind of work than the physical labour that was already plentiful among jobs worked into the program. His thoughts browsed through several fields of work, each one geared more towards a life of knowledge or fine skill rather than sweaty work. It was his hope that through the work force program that Yakuroro could add in a touch of art and culture. It was one thing for a country to be industrious, but that could mean losing something far more important. Yaku wanted to ensure that the frustrated poor they were trying to help lift out of poverty had chances to channel their lives in meaningful ways that would come to shape the future of Reim's cultural landscape.

Word Count - 600/1500

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

Thinking of the future of Reim as a country, Yakuroro came to the conclusion that the best way to counter Kou's inevitable cultural conversion efforts would be to nurture the people's knowledge and passion for their own rich history. With that in mind, he began his efforts with a visit to Reim's Historical Society. Thankfully, their headquarters was in Remano and Yakuroro did not have to travel far. Alas the Imuchakk would have a bit of trouble finding the building and once he did the magician was rather disappointed. A frown displayed on Yaku's face briefly as he found the building somewhat in a state of disrepair. It wasn't a total wreck, but the signs of lacking maintenance were present here and there. The Imuchakk entered through the front entrance and found himself inside a dusty old entrance room that had a desk where there was perhaps once a receptionist of sorts, but now stood empty and unmanned. Yakuroro ventured deeper into the building and opened a pair of double doors leading into a large antechamber filled with scrolls and artefacts. There were a few people scattered about but their numbers were less than half a dozen. All were men and most of them were old if their greying hair and frail bodies were any indication.

No one turned to look at the Imuchakk who had entered save for the only young person in the room. A youthful scribe who was sitting by one of the elders looking somewhat excited to see a stranger in the room. The boy stood and made hurried steps that seemed to endeavor to remain silent as he approached Yakuroro. The scribe spoke in a hushed voice when he got closer, "Greetings, sir. Is there something you need help with? The Reim Historical Society doesn't get many visitors these days, but we will be happy to assist you in any way." Yakuroro nodded and began to reply but apparently his voice was too loud as he was promptly shushed by the scribe, "Please keep your voice low, the other members can get a bit cranky when their research is disturbed..."

Adjusting his volume, Yakuroro replied as he scanned the room again observing how engrossed the older men seemed to be in their work, "I see...Who is in charge here? I would like to speak to them about something." Yakuroro was expecting the leader to be in the room but to his surprise the boy had a less than hoped for response. "Oh...I'm afraid that won't be possible right now." Yakuroro spoke up to asssure the scribe that he didn't mind a wait, "Likewise particular about his work being interrupted eh? That's alright, I can wait here for as long as ne-" but the magician was cut off as the young human shook his head and explained further, "T-That isn't it sir...You see, the chairman is-"

"Where the hell is it!?!?"

A sudden shout rang out through the antechamber but based on the dulled volume it was clear that it had come from an adjacent room. A door on the second floor of the chamber slammed open and an old man stumbled out almost toppling over the side of the balcony as he leaned over the side. "Which one of you bastards *hiccup* took my wine!?" The belligerent man shouted in slurred words.

Excavating Enterprises[Job/Solo] Rayleigh

The scribe sighed and gestured to the shouting drunk, "That is the chairman, and as you can see. He's become a useless drunkard."

Word Count - 1183/1500

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

Yakuroro did his best to maintain and outwardly friendly appearance, but internally the Imuchakk felt even more disappointed than when he saw the state of disrepair the building was in. No wonder why the Historical Society had fallen into decline...or was the chairman's state perhaps a result rather than a cause? Yakuroro needed to find out, either way. "That's alright, even if he isn't in top form, I wish to speak with the chairman anyways. Could you please let him know that I am here?" The question was innocent enough, but the scribe took of a fear stricken face at the prospect of going to speak to the chairman for anything. But Yakuroro's narrowed his eyes at the boy and emphasised his determination, "It's important."

Nodding nervously, the young human rushed off to the historian whom he had been sitting near by earlier. The boy whispered something into the elderly man's ear causing the geezer to look up and glance to the door way. Apparently the youth decided that he would relay Yakuroro's words rather than act upon them. The historian scowled in Yaku's direction before turning to look up at the chairman who was now pointing angrily at an archeologist whom was ignoring his leader while he studied an old tablet. "Illius! You've got a guest. Sober up you old wash out!"

"Ah!? I don't want any. Tell 'em to go back to Balbadd!"

Yakuroro stepped forward and cleared his throat, "Actually, I'm from Imuchakk and I'm not here to sell you anything." This declaration earned Illius Pollux's attention and the old man looked down at the giant Imuchakk. "Hmph..." Illius seemed to be sizing the magician up and upon reaching a conclusion the old man nodded to himself. "Alright, come on up." The chairman said before stumbling back into his office. Yakuroro ascended a spiral staircase up to the second level and entered the old drunk's room trying to ignore the curious stares the others in the antechamber were now giving him. Upon entering, Yakuroro stood behind one of the chairs which was too small for his large body and waited for Illius to address him.

The silver haired man was already lounging in his chair gulping thirstily at a bottle of wine. Had he found the one he lost or did he have several? Illius slammed the bottle down on his desk once it was emptied and he let out a breath, "Aaaah...So, what is it you want." The man snorted after asking his question and then shifted in his chair as though he were preparing for a nap. Yakuroro remained smiling and came right out with why he was here and what he had to offer. "I want the Reim Historical Society to grow." This got Illius' attention and he opened an eye to stare at the Imuchakk. "Perhaps you've heard of the new workforce initiative. I want to include archeologists and historians to the list of available professions the initiative offers to those looking for new skills."

Illius slowly leaned forward opening both eyes and rubbed his chin seeming more interested. "So you want to bring me fresh, young, *hic* strong bodies?" The words themselves were a bit unsettling out of context and the old man's gleaming eyes didn't help the image. "Err...to work as apprentices...yes." Illius suddenly smiled and then quickly frowned. "Get out. I wont be fooled." He leaned back and looked away with crossed arms closing himself off from the discussion but Yakuroro persisted. "I assure you I am genuine. I am something of an archeologist myself and I want Reim's future generations to share in this wonderful profession!"

Illius looked back at Yakuroro and narrowed his gaze. Suspicion filled the elder's face only to be followed by a sly smile. "Alright, I'll listen to what you have to say. But only if you do something for me..." The chairman opened a drawer and pulled out a map before spreading it on the table. "There are ruins we've known about for years, but since all the able bodied people left and our coffers dried up, we've had no chances to excavate it. Go to these ruins and prove your claim. Take some of our people with you and help them with the labor they can't perform on their own. If you can do this and bring back at least five items of interest you can consider me interested in your proposal." Suddenly Illuis seemed far more capable than drunk. The old man had been less inebriated than his initial introduction would suggest. His act was rather a test of sorts even though the flush in his cheeks made it clear that he was certainly tipsy.

"Very well. It will be done." Yakuroro agreed before taking the map and turning to take his leave. "And be sure to bring back any tomes you find!" Illius called after him.

Word Count - 1500+/1500

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

With the deal made, Yakuroro made arrangements with a few of the men back in the main room so three of them would accompany him on the excavation. The old men were eager to drop their current research in favor of going out into the field again after so long. Using his magic carpet, Yakuroro was able to depart as soon as the men coming along were ready. After a quick stop to get food and water supplies, they were off. Using the directions from the society members tagging along, Yakuroro headed in the direction of the ruins and made good time. They arrived in the evening and set up camp in preparation for the next day's work.

In the morning, the Imuchakk rose first and woke the others with the sound of shifting stones. Much of the ruin was in shambles and the path leading deeper into the city was blocked due to a collapsed building. Yakuroro could see why the society needed more man power. Were he not an Imuchakk, moving the rubble would have taken many strong bodies and perhaps even a pulley and lever set up with hoists. Thankfully, no such tools were needed even though the magician's body was weaker than most  his kin.

With the path cleared, the excavation party ventured deeper into the ruins and split up to look for objects of interest. Yakuroro had to help the old men move things again a few times but for the most part they left the Imuchakk to his own research. Yakuroro gathered several artifacts and spent time sitting down with each one to take notes for later.

Having found a pair of tomes Yakuroro thought back to the chairman's interest in them and began his studies there. Examination of the tomes revealed that a great deal of the text on them could not be read, but from the gist of things Yakuroro determined that they were likely describing a magical process of some sorts.

Next, Yakuroro made his best charcoal drawing of a mural he had found. The mural depicted an individual and a great structure. But what interested Yakuroro about this piece of art was not so much the person or the building but rather what it seemed to suggest about them. At first, he thought that it could be a priest praying to giant shrine of sorts, but one of the other men present pointed out to him that the designs used could be interpreted another way. It also seemed like the person was somehow raising the building. This made Yakuroro think of dungeons and how they seemed to be raised out of no where. Were people behind the dungeons? It was worth investigating but for now, Yakuroro had other artifacts to study.

Ledgers detailing the trade between this city and another were next on the list of things Yakuroro had gathered up for his own personal research. These were coupled along with slates of stone covered in ancient language. Both seemed to talk about trade but the latter focused more on internal trade within the city.

The final item Yakuroro spent time with was a small orb with torran etched into its surface. The torran could be translated later so Yakuroro put that particular act off for a bit and instead tried to determine what kind of use there was for the small orb. The material it was made from seemed to be crystalline in nature but Yakuroro couldn't identify exactly what kind of gemstone it was. The entire thing was encased in a thick stone-like shell which he could not break through brute force alone. Curiously, Yakuroro tried holding the stone up to the sun's light and tried feeding it a bit of magoi wondering if it would have an effect despite the lack of a visible magic circle.

-Job Requirements Complete-

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

When Yakuroro fed magoi into the small orb, the orb would emit a soft green light for a moment before, in front of him, an image would pop up. The immersive illusion showed the globe and if Yakuroro had knowledge of geography, he would recognize it was a perfect replica of the world, with small areas glimmering just slightly. The image would spin slowly to show a full expanse of the world and if he were to pay attention to the glimmers, he would note there was one in the exact place he was located, which was a purple glimmer. Another purple glimmer would show in a cave system in another part of Reim. The rest of the glimmers, four more in total, would have a slight green tint to them. It would appear as though something important might be located at these points with two of them already located, including what he held in his hand. One green glimmer would be in Heliohapt, another in the Great Plains, the third on an island off of Balbadd with the last being in the mountains near Kou. After three or four rotations, the image would seem to be sucked back into the orb and the glow emitted by the object would dim. If he attempted to feed more magoi into the orb, it would do nothing. Perhaps it needed time to recharge.

((OOC: You may post a reaction to this information, if you wish))

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum