You are not connected. Please login or register

At the Heart of the Kavir Desert [Artefact]

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Just after the Sun had begun his evening routine, Zubaidah arrived in lavish Salehi where fertile grasslands met the Kavir desert. Walking around this newly-revitalised town, she saw massive inn and taverns for Tisifuni travellers; crowded streets; brilliant shops; Isadoran officials lounging on raised diwans; ladies in gigantic hats, with waterfalls of silken veils and scarves, waving white gloves as they talked about the latest Salehi scandal. She spotted mercenaries from Khat Ankh and merchants from Saffat; distinguished Reiman gentlemen and former Parthevian nobility discussing brands of mint tea with one another; even a Sassanid missionary preaching on Artaxerxes’ behalf.

Salehi had always been a mixing-pot of Parthevian culture, where the Reiman north met the Kosrovian south, but Zubaidah had never seen this last-stop oasis quite as bustling as it was nowadays. She guessed that the treaty signed at Sunset Bay had allowed for business to thrive within southern Parthevia. Well, she knew for certain that her Ash Company played a large part in that respect. After all, where else could those ladies have purchased their hats and silken garments?

But she was not here for a tourist’s browse of Salehi. Within the hour, Zubaidah had left behind those crowded streets, travelling onwards from the so-called ‘Rostam’ road past the equally-busy suburbs. Walking down the sand-ridden road, palms waving on either side, she began the long journey towards her newest excavation-site.

-----

It was the first week of springtime, the broad Urkadi had burst its banks, and all the land here - between the river and the sand where Kosrow had once made camp - was hidden. Hidden beneath the vast and tranquil waters of what seemed a tideless sea, fringed with dense masses of palms, girdled in the far distance by fig-trees that looked almost black, broken by low and tiny islands on which palms kept the small white and brown houses in their feathery embrace. Above these isolated houses, storks circled and sang their hoarse tunes. In the distance, the linen sails of boats glided, sometimes behind the palms, coming into view, vanishing, mysteriously reappearing among their narrow trunks.

Here and there were the short-haired animals of the Kavir desert, wading homeward through this sea: a camel with a trader atop its back; a buffalo separated from his herd; two donkeys followed by two women carrying water-jugs upon their heads. Zubaidah even spotted a Shar rider urging their horse across the river-banks of the Urkadi. As she continued, however, the palms and fig-trees became sparse and sparser, overcome with the red-tinged sands of the Kavir desert. Travelling even closer, beyond the pallid line of the shapely dunes, Zubaidah spotted a golden obelisk jutting outwards into the grey-blue skies. She had heard the rukh whisper about this ruin for weeks, enticing her to discover the Kavir's treasure...

...and now she was ready to claim her fate-ordained reward.

mag: 340/340 | word: 450/none | stam: 390/390

Lingering Will of Yakuroro:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

There in the middle of the desert was the obelisk that screamed that something more laid underneath. However, before she could even begin the excavation she would notice sun bleached bones propped up against the structure. A skeleton wearing worn out clothes that befit that of an explorer from ages past with a large pack strapped to his body.

Attached to the body, particularly tucked into a front pocket, was a letter directed to Zub. Well not exactly to zub. This note was for anyone that would happen upon the strange skeleton.

Dear stranger,

Before you stands the living skeleton known as Gel Malen. This skeleton is named after a famed explorer from ages past, mostly because of how it is dressed. This is not the first letter that had been found on him nor will it be the last I am sure. Gel is a trusty little assistant that follows the one who claims to be the party leader. I do not know how he works but I know that. I am near the end of my able exploring years so I left him where another explorer can find him. May he assist you in your travels.

Zorn

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Before she could scout the obelisk for any entrances, Zubaidah caught sight of something white against the red Kavir sands. Unsure what she might have discovered, she approached with some apprehension,

Please don’t be another one of Marax’s tricks…

When she recognised them as bones bleached white under the desert sun, Zubaidah became more confused. After all, she had only discovered this location after weeks of research with the Toads. Could someone have already looted the obelisk and left these bones after their work was done? As she looked closer, however, Zubaidah realised that she must have been wrong when she started reading the note attached.

Gel Malen? I remember the Reiman Archaeological Society mentioned that name. Isn’t he the explorer who disappeared in the Dark Continent…’ Taking out her notebook, she furiously scribbled down her confusion - and curiosity - onto paper, ‘Hmm, why on earth has someone left the remains of someone also named Gel Malen here? Oh, maybe it’s the start of an old-fashioned mystery! I do love a good mystery.

Wait, what did they mean by ‘living’…

mag: 340/340 | stam: 390/390

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The skeleton would start to move as it sensed someone near, claiming the skeleton as a member of their party, rather knowingly or otherwise. It would start to move before standing up, its bones clacking and jittering with every movement. Gel would look around before focusing his site on Zub, bowing as a sign that he now serves her.

As for the ruins below, it looks like they have not been disturbed in centuries so she had nothing to worry about there. The ruins were still undisturbed and open for exploring and discovery. All she had to do was dig!

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Whaaaa - ’ As the skeleton hopped onto his feet, heaving a backpack behind himself, Zubaidah scrambled away in complete confusion. ‘What the fu - ’ And then he bowed towards. ‘Huh?’ He bowed towards her and stretched out a bony hand, as if offering to help Zubaidah back onto her feet. ‘Well, you’re awfully kind for a skeleton, aren’t you?’ Accepting his assistance, Zubaidah would notice that Gel would bow his head in thanks for her compliment,

I must say that I’m sorry for my rudeness earlier. You would think that my experiences would have gotten me quite used to curiosities like a living skeleton, but I suppose that there are still some surprises left. Not that surprises aren’t welcome, of course.

As she paused for a second, watching Gel cock his head in confusion, Zubaidah read the weathered note which had accompanied him once more. ‘Not to presume what you would like to do, but would you want to join me in exploring this site? I must admit that I am ill-prepared for this expedition - and the help would be much appreciated.’ Watching him enthusiastically nod his head, Zubaidah guided him towards where the Toads had scouted the most likely location for an entrance into the Salehi obelisk’s. Taking out a shovel from her backpack, and offering another one to Gel, Zubaidah began excavating the Kavir sands.

Let’s get to work!

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

They would begin to dig away at the sand but every now and then a gust of wind would appear filling in half of what they just dug out. While they were hard workers and the skeleton never tired this was proving to be too much work for just the two of them, or at least without the aid of magic. The Hot sun was beating down on the purple hair dancer as she worked making it even more grueling of a task then she may have thought. Gel would point to the nearby settlement suggesting that perhaps zub goes to her people and gets assistance or they would be at this for months unless she had some kind of magic she could use.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Well, I’m afraid to admit that this isn’t quite working, is it?’ Knee-deep within the red Kavir sands, Zubaidah shook herself free and looked back at their handiwork - or lack thereof, ‘What’s the best option here, Gel…’ Seeing him point back towards nearby Salehi, Zubaidah sighed with exasperation, ‘I wish that they would help me, but my colleagues in the Toads are already exerting most of their efforts in persuading the governor of Salehi with other matters.

Scrounging about her satchel, however, Zubaidah would consider another solution, ‘Could you hold this for a second?’ After handing Gel a tin whistle, Zubaidah would find a set of delicate gauntlets, ‘I acquired these magic items from a ruin near Amakh. You could even say that these gauntlets inspired me to pursue more Parthevian excavations! They’ve certainly served me well in finding other ruins beneath the sands…’ After donning them, she would pour magoi inside and cast Sol Tigre onto herself and Gel, ‘You see, the Kavir desert is made out of sand that is ninety-five percent composed of metallic particles. In fact, the red colour comes from particles rich in iron! So what would happen when you repel those metallic particles…

And they would both tumble beneath the red Kavir sands.

mag: 320/340 | stam: 390/390

Sun Slicer Claws:

Fork of Terea:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

As the new excavation leader and their assistant starts digging they would find the sand to be pushed away before they could even touch it with their hands. The sand may not be as high in metallic minerals as she was led to believe but it would still work under the spell casted by those gauntlets.

As they continue to dig they would reveal a tall tower that seemed to keep going. THe tower was a dull red color, perhaps it was much brighter when it was in use but now it was the color of rust. They would start to unearth the peaks of rooftops of the same color, all made of sandstone. While they had not found any doors yet there were several holes in the towers that contain shards of painted glass as signatures of windows long gone.

They could continue digging but since they were pushing the sand away there were making a large wall around them of loose sand that could fall at the tough of wind. Though they could risk it and possibly be fine there was also the tower itself. Both seemed to have risk but each was possible. They could always try to find another way as well.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

As they made their slow descent beneath the desert sands, Zubaidah could feel embarrassment redden her neck, realising that she had misremembered facts about iron sand and iron oxide. Taking a small peek behind her, however, it seemed that Gel had turned his attention away from Zubaidah and towards the rust-coloured structure emerging from below the Kavir desert.

Thankful that she had not fully embarrassed herself in front of Gel, Zubaidah would scope out the safest method of entrance into this submerged tower, gesturing that Gel should hold onto her. Seeing that the doors were locked, it seemed that the broken windows were her best chance. Moving towards the nearest window, she would launch herself through a well-sized gap in the painted glass and control her descent using Graceful Airs. Once she landed, and ensuring that Gel was still there, Zubaidah would then survey the interior, looking for the route forwards.

Graceful Airs:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

When they went through the stained glass window, the duo would fall slowly and gracefully till they find themselves inside the buried tower. On the wooden floor at her feet would be shards of the window. Looking at them one would be able to see that they were pieces of a larger image, but at the moment were to scattered and mixed up to understand what it used to represent.

In the tower that they were currently in they would see three different passages, N,W,S but the South passage was full of sand due to a collapses wall or roof. However, it would be almost impossible to see down them due to the pitch black darkness that surrounded the duo. But zub could see that the tower also went further down but there was no clear passage downwards that she could currently see.

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

As she landed cat-like upon the wooden floor, Zubaidah would spot the broken pieces of glass and attempt to put them together. Unable to piece the full picture, however, she would instead file them away into her mental bank, relying upon her Sleuth’s Eye in case it became important to the overall narrative of this ruined tower. Continuing onwards, ensuring that Gel stayed closeby, Zubadiah would rely on the Sol Tigre bands to illuminate her surroundings. If it was not enough, however, she would whisper to the rukh for guidance, hoping that they might act as her eyes and ears. And so, stumbling through the murky darkness, Zubaidah would push forwards through the North passage, wondering what she might find.

Sleuth’s Eye:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Zub would find all of the necessary shards that more or less made up the center of the window pane that she had went through. This image showed a man working hard at what looked like a forge but one that was shaped rather strangely compared to most modern forges in this world. A depiction of light emanating from inside it.

zub would spend what felt like half an hour or longer waking down this corridor that began to slope downwards subtlety. However, zub would take one last step and hear a creaking sound before the floor caves in causing the duo to fall. Zub would have a chance to react of course but once on the ground she would find something reminiscent to the glass image.

It would be hard to figure out exactly what she was looking at without a closer glance and observation but there was a mass of metel in the center of a massive, half domed room. It looked similar to a forge but there were parts that were wrong and strange on it. Could this be forgotten magic of thise lost civilization?

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

As she made her way through the passage, keeping Gel close at hand, Zubaidah would start to quietly narrate her previous expeditions to him. She told him about her discovery of the Parthevian villa before the Ash Company’s first fashion-show; the joint venture into the Reim-Parthevia complex in Lamet; the original mausoleum of Shah Kosrow. She was not entirely certain why she told him all these things, but something felt right in sharing these stories with him. Was it his namesake, the famous explorer Gel Malen, which made him seem so receptive? Whatever the case, she would tell him and he would listen intently until…

Oh, shiiiii -

Years of abandonment had made the floor brittle, and their weight was enough to make it snap with a near-silent whish. Midway through another story, Zubaidah took a second to realise she was falling, but soon reacted by grabbing ahold of Gel and slowing their descent with Graceful Airs. As they slowly but surely descended into the room below, however, Gel was the first to react - and point towards the oddly-shaped structure further inside. Zubaidah recognised the vague but unusual shape from the painted window, realising that this must have been the forge-like structure she had seen.

But was this related to the castle on the hill where she had located and claimed the magic artefact for the Hashashin? It seemed to hum with the same frequency, but Zubaidah was uncertain whether she should connect them so quickly. Salehi and the Saffat region were historically far-removed from one another, but perhaps this structure predated even the history behind them both? Stepping forwards tentatively, as if it were some predator, Zubaidah would place one hand on the forge lookalike as if to activate its magic circle - and another hand would use Solomon’s Empathy to ascertain who might have built it.

Graceful Airs:

Solomon's Empathy:

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Using her technique she could ascertain that this city was part of a sort of proto Helio civilization that was eventually absorbed by the current nation.

As for the forge, it would seem to pick up on her magoi and her senses directed at it. It would start to roar to life as the last of it's energy was being used to create one final product in this forge.

The room would become sweltering as the heat rises significantly in the center of the room. It was uncertain just by looking at it but the sounds of hammering would ring out through the room, over and over again.

A chime would ring out as a small golden orb rolls out into a slot from inside of the forge as the forge's light went out. Before zub was the last creation of a fallen civilization.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum