Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Name: Safeguarding a nation
Job Rank: C-tier
Job Location: Reim
Job Reward: 7,000 Huang | 100 XP | Plot reward
Job Prerequisites: Must be Completed three times for plot reward
Job Overview: Reim’s Senators have proven to be corrupt, as slavers and merchants alike line their pockets they grip the nation. However, they are not the only disease plaguing the nation, murders have been happening to them, to those connected to the council as well. Investigate one of the rumors and start a line of investigation to protect the nation.
Special Job Requirements: Choose one of the following plot lines to pursue, the job may be done three times by any one player. Each job done will give the player info on the subject from staff. 1. Find out the source of corruption with Reim, find out who is trying to undermine the nation during its reformation. 2. Track the dissenters of the nation, figure out or deal with anti-republic sentiments within Reim. 3. With the council being new as a governing body it is still vulnerable, there are those targeting it to cripple or control the nation, investigate the cause or source of this.

The night had long come. All was quiet in the inn save for the sound of a candle flickering out as it burned down to the oil. Zion lay staring at the struggling flame with uncertainty. After going through the documents it was clear that Aggripica had been signing exclusive contracts from Magnostadt for magic tool imports. Though attempts to make this a legal monopoly were still incomplete, the market was already largely skewed towards magic too;s from Magnostadt. However the matter with the man in the communication device seemed to be just one node in a web of conspiracy going on throughout Reim's capitol. The young magician's mentor had warned him against getting involved in political struggles. Zion had done a poor job of that in Magnostadt. By no choice of his own, Zion was already the victim of one such power struggle. Now he was thinking about sticking his nose into another countries' business?

An exasperated sigh escaped Zion's lips as the last of the candleflame died out. He rolled over and stared at the ceiling. "Magnostad's involvement isn't something I can overlook. Those magic tools...." The fox bared his fangs as Zion gnashed his teeth. "Those were my father's designs...I'm sure of it. Whoever stole my father's research must be connected somehow." More than a year had passed, but the anger of his home being looted and burned by hired thugs still lingered. That day, he had killed all but one of the attackers. Thinking of the scene made Zion's expression go cold and dark. A light that had been there before was now mission.

"Am I...willing to go that far to get involved with this?"

The air was lukewarm at most and yet the youth still rolled over and pulled the blankets closer as if to chase off a chill. He fell asleep without settling on an answer to that question. But he did decide on a plan of action. At morning he rose with haste and purpose. He set out for a farm to the east that was owned by a senator named Basilius. A name which had come up in the documents he'd read through in those two hours yesterday. At first he found only a mix of trade manifestos, tax records, and debt ledgers. But then he reached Aggripica's storage for personal missives. It had been a sea of loose information Zion couldn't put to much use, but the private communications provided guiding stars with which to navigate that sea.

Basilius was a senator opposed to showing any favor or reliance to foreign magic tools. He argued that the country should focus on developing their own production here at home. But Aggripica had been funding several farms in the region around Basilius' olive and grape farms. The man's friendly neighboring farm plots were flipped into hostile business rivals in a short span of time recently. They were using unknown means to reap far greater crop yields in the last season. Basilius' own lands appeared to be doing much worse than in the past season. So much so that Basilius had appealed for a reduction on the land taxes he owed. The notes were not specific and simply cited "Insect Infestation" as the reason behind it.

WC: 543/1000

2What's Bugging You?[NoM] Empty Re: What's Bugging You?[NoM] 22/03/22, 12:17 pm

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

The wagon arrived around noon. Creaking wooden wheels came to a stop on the main road and Zion paid the driver a few coins before disembarking. The farm was still a short distance from here and Zion squinted against the bright Reiman sun. It was a clear day and the weather was fairly warm, or at least it felt as much under the traveling cloak Zion wore to obscure his features. The magician made his way down the side road towards Basilius' lands and soon found himself passing by ravaged fields. Grapes and Olives that still survived were few in number in scattered patches. The rest of the vines looks as though they'd been torn to shreds by a swarm of locusts. Zion took all this in as he approached the villa atop a nearby hill where this particular path led.

"Hold it, who are you?"

A Reiman soldier was posted at the foot of the hill along with several other armored men. Zion smiled from beneath his cloak and answered with a question of his own. "What does a farm need so many soldiers for?" This didn't amuse the guard, however. "State your business or leave. If you don't, we will be forced to assume you are an assassin!" There was no small degree of tension on the guard's face as he shouted. Senators had been murdered in broad daylight so it was no surprise he found the cloaked Zion to be suspicious. The magician took no offense and simply continued to smile back at the man. "Very well. Send word to Basilius that Aggripica's man has arrived with a message."

"A message?" The guard look unconvinced. "Hand it over then." But Zion merely shook his head. "I'm under strict orders to hand it over personally. Please understand, I must follow master Aggripica's orders precisely or else it is my head on the chopping block. Just let your councilman know I am here. I am sure he will be willing to meet me." Zion said with an unceasing polite tone. The guard frowned deeply and stared Zion down for a moment but when the cloaked youth did not back down he finally relented and sent on of his companions up to the villa to pass the word. A few minutes later, the soldier came running down the hill. "The Councilman will see you. Come this way." Zion smiled at the guard who had wanted to block him and walked past the man, following his companion up to the villa.

WC: 963/1000

3What's Bugging You?[NoM] Empty Re: What's Bugging You?[NoM] 25/03/22, 11:53 am

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

A well lit room and the scent of wine awaited Zion as he was led by the guard to Basilius' parlor. The reek of alcohol was heavy, but the man within had a sobering scowl as he stared at the wine cup in his hands. Basilius had been staring at the empty vessel ever since news of Zion had arrived. Only now that the guard announced himself did the Reiman councilman look up from his stupor. "Leave us." Said the auburn haired man. The guard tried to protest, but Basilius was not a man to be disobeyed lightly. It wasn't that he dealt out harsh punishments, no. Rather, Basilius held high prestige and gravitas among the Reiman soldiers. He too had once been among their ranks before ascending to councilship. The man was something of a legend due to his achievements in military campaigns against Heliohapt and the assistance he had given Octavius during the rebellion against Kou occupation. Perhaps he would have made legends with his military exploits during that conflict too had an injury to the leg not retired him from the battlefield years ago.

"Come in. Sit."

Zion felt the imposing aura Basilus commanded and found himself obeying before he even had a chance to think about it. A flash of light sparkled in the magician's eyes. Basilius was rosey from drinking and in low spirits due to the suppression of his political opponents. But the majesty of his past glory still showed strong in his gaze. The magician felt a hint of greatness from the man and instantly felt that he could learn much from the statesman towards pursuing his own goals. Basilius made a strange face upon seeing the excitement and wonderment in Zion's eyes. "Odd...you don't have the look of an assassin about you, nor do you seem like someone Aggripica would employ. You have a message for me?" Basilius seemed to relax after passing judgement on Zion's character and leaned forward to reach for an amphora of wine to refill his cup. The movement drew Zion's eyes to where his hand had been resting.

The hilt of a short blade was sticking out between the cushions of the couch Basilius sat upon. A gulp of saliva sounded loud in Zion's head as he cleared his mouth to answer. "I apologize for the deception. I'm not Aggripica's man, but I thought claiming as much was the quickest way to meet you. The hour is dire and there is little time to wait around for an appointment." The youth kept his eyes on the hilt for a moment but by the time he finished his words he had refocused his gaze onto the councilman. He punctuated his sentence by leaning in to pass the scroll  onto the small table that sat between them. "What's this?" Basilius asked as he accepted the scroll and broke the wax seal with one hand, expertly unfurling the parchment as he downed his wine cup with the other in a few large gulps.

Basilis' eyes darted back and forth across the writings. His frown deepened. "Where did you get this information?"  Zion smiled. "I can't say. But I'm confident it is true. Those insects plaguing your farms are instigated by your enemies. Surely you've already been suspecting this much. After all, you're surrounded by farmland owned by rival councilmen and yet not one of them have suffered an infestation." His smile never once broke even as Basilius' glare intensified. "Do you have proof?" He set the wine cup down for the first time and bridged his hands looking hopeful. "I'll have to disappoint you." Zion said, his smile fading.

"While I can guarantee that  my source is about as close to Aggripica as one could hope, taking out the official documents from his office would risk discovery. The man is playing a long and complicated game and is under the impression that none of the other players know the lay out of the board. Right now he is confident that everything is under his control. It's the best time to take him by surprise."

Basilius stared at Zion briefly and then looked back down at the note. "This last part about Magnostadt...I was always against giving them exclusive contracts. But to think Aggripica was working for those damned magicians...I always knew he was a greedy bastard, but I had thought his love for the homeland would at least outweigh his hunger for coin." He looked back up to Zion whom removed his hood. For the first time since entering Remano, Zion did not hide his appearance and showed his true face to someone. "Not all magicians from Magnostadt are your adversaries. I abhor the thought of my homeland subverting your government. I intend to stop this meddling. But for that, I'll need your help."

Skepticism filled Basilius' face and he paused for a moment of silence. His eyes looked Zion up and down weighing the worth of his words. "What kind of help?" He said at last. "There is a party tonight, you should have been invited. Aggripica intends to have the Councilmen who have already joined hands with him pressure you to give up on opposing the government contract for Magnostadt. They also wish to give you a ring, but its a trap. The ring is some kind of magic tool used for controlling those who wear it. If you accept it, you will become a pawn for Aggripica's plans whether you like it or not. I want you to let me take your place and go in your stead." The plan made Basilius shake his head in disagreement. "It's no use, the invitation is for me only. Perhaps I could lie and say you're a servant, but Aggripica already knows all the men in my employ. He could suspect us right awa-What!? H-How did you do that?"

Zion simply smirked at the councilman's rejection and waved a hand across his own face. The Trickster Foxspirit transformed his features to match Basilius' own. From the shape of his nose to the length and color of his hair. In just a short breath of time he had copied the man's appearance perfectly. "I'm not your average magician, sir. I know it is a great risk to put all your trust in me, but I promise you wont regret it if you do." Zion spoke with confidence and locked eyes with the slightly drunk statesman. Basilius looked back, eyes unclouded by the wine despite how much he'd been drinking. "....Fine, do as you like. I'll leave the party to you and await news. But this is not the only web of intrigue going on within Reiman politics, lad. If you're going to get involved, there is something else you should know...

[WC: 1000+/1000

Trait:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]