Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Code:
Job Name: The Foundation of a New City
Job Rank: C-tier
Job Location: Meridia
Job Reward: 7,000 Huang | 100 XP
Job Prerequisites: Be Merrze or thread with her
Job Overview: Looking to Prop up a settlement on Island to the west known as Kahli. The Engineers have told Merrze this is a great spot to build hydro engine by using the raging currents near the island. First Merrze must visit there and meet with the leader of the settlement and set up connections to begin building.

The shores lapped with waves angered from the night before. The storms had gone long into the night, it seemed like a sign for the things to come. Before they had the chance to part they were told for three nights it would be impossible to pass through. Even with the robust frames and diligent crews of their modern navy, the tempest that ravaged each night was insurmountable. Merrze wasn't very superstitious but she had often heard from sailors that a bloody sky at dawn was the sign of calamity on the horizon. Despite this, their captain seemed rather eager to take them on this journey.

"Well It's good to see that there's some confidence in this journey, don't you agree Merlin?" she would say to her son. With her words, she pointed at the captain, who stood on the bow of the boat laughing to himself. Days out on sea could do strange things to a person. It would have been a quicker trek to take Erydyn for a fly-through to the city of Kahli where they planned to visit, but unfortunately, the beast had come down with quite the flu. He had a strong constitution but the beast would be left in bed for quite some time.

"Come on, let's load our bags in and then try and get some shut-eye, I know it's not gonna be the most glamorous journey but we get to do some work together before you gotta go off on your big journey" she would say looking back at Merlin for a second as he had trudged behind her. The young magician hadn't been on a boat since he was a baby so wanderlust clouded his thoughts.

Merrze looked at him fondly, the joy in her face beamed twice as bright as the sun. "Come on, I bought some sweet bread, if we can get on the ship quickly we can actually embrace the waves, and our cravings too" she joyfully blurted out.

It wouldn't take them long, just like she had said. Once they had got on the boat the captain in his fervor rushed to the wheel and began to bark commands at his crew. Honestly, the lioness had missed moments like this, it reminded her of a forever ago when she had traveled amongst the shrouded isles. It seemed every time she had gone to an island or at least planned to something life-changing happened. If all went well, it would be the fair people she was visiting whose lives would be changed.

In her thoughts now as well she would enjoy the sugar glazed bread, while her son munched down more than a couple of pieces. The sky streaked scarlet, their night almost ending the same way that it had began. This time, there wouldn't be the lingers of a storm leaving but another one coming on the horizon.

"Well, looks look like things are going to get a little bumpy here tonight. Thankfully the snacks and our company will keep us warm, I'm not sure you remember the feeling but these storms bring in quite the cold breeze after. While plenty of the waters is tepid the streams here can come in from the south sometimes so the sea breeze isn't always the most fun to deal with" Merrze would say trying to explain the situation a little.

It wasn't ideal, it never seemed to be when things first started out but that was always the fun. It would be less than a week, then they would be in a new city. There they would be lifting it to the status it deserved to have as a petal.

610/1000

Merlin

Merlin
D-Tier
D-Tier

Merlin had been used to being an early bird, there were times when he was often up before the sun. Though his mother Merrze seemed to enjoy the wake up call she gave to her children so he'd lay back down just before it was time for them to head out. It would be an early departure, while the journey was short compared to most it was still a week journey by boat. Before the sun rose the cacophony of the storm raided into his room, the tsunami beckoning those brave enough to venture into its' eye. The sounds of nature were tremendously splendid, but they were frightening in their power. The sheer awe of the world impresAftesed him, he was jubilant to soon be venturing out on his own. This odyssey, however, would be one of familial bonding.

After the lioness had fetched the young fox he would gather his stuff quickly whilst they made their way down to the port. In but a moment they would be there, the sun greeting them as the sky shifted in its dance of warm tones before the blue sky would say hello. It was great to have the chance to go out in the world but he was uncertain of the things to come. He wanted to know more about magic, to test his wit. He would be able to meet up with his father in the city of Magnostadt but for the most part, this would be the only time in his life in which he was going to be alone. He wanted to savor this, to savor all moments. He was taking them in so much he was ignorant of the words his mother said to him.

Since he wasn't paying the best of attention as their journeying began to start, he would find himself pleasantly surprised by freshly glazed sugar buns. The crisp crackle of the glaze breaking, the nose opening scent of butter, wheat, and melting sugar, everything about it would warm his soul. That didn't even count the taste, with such a warm sweet, and rich taste it was the love manifested.

He would turn towards his mother, munching on the snake as their day went on. Most of it was silent but they enjoyed it in peace. Looking out in the ocean he would mutter out "I'm glad to share these types of moments with you, I'm not sure I can do it alone sometimes but these moments of peace let me know I got it. Life's worth these fun moments, as I age my memory of my struggle during my toddler years is fading and I know mostly luxury, I know I cannot hide from the world."

Maybe it was a sign, of conviction, or just a way to provide confidence in times of uncertainty. At the end of it all, he was doing it more for himself than for the comfort of his mother. They would just continue to enjoy the last bit of their snacks as the night would beckon sleep. He wasn't excited about the storm that seemed to lurk upon the horizon's edge but at least he wouldn't be alone.

While this was a nice vacation, it would also be his first real chance at work. Before he would go off to grow into his role as a prince, he would put his brain to use. The engineers of Meridia has some interesting ideas for the future city of Kahli, he was sure he had even more fantastic ideas. He would have to see first, he wouldn't let himself fall to hubris. He would let himself fall asleep as the prince curled up next to his mother as the storm rocked the boat into the night.

wordcount: 626/1000

Merrze

Merrze
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

"Well, I'm glad that journey is finally over" Merrze would say letting out a strong sigh of relief. While it had been a splendid time with her son, the torrential storms troubled them non-stop. While the mornings were peaceful, with moments of rest and relaxation, the night was a journey through an oceanic gauntlet. Cyclones, waterspouts, thunderstorms, and hurricanes all alike crossed their path. The boat had been tossed and turned, but it seemed that their captain was more than just confident, he had the skills of a nautical god. The way he had commanded their vessel was quite impressive in all honesty. Not only was he going to get the generous pay they already offered, but Merrze had also offered her extended gratitude by inviting him to an imperial lunch in the future.

"Well, honestly I wish I could say we get to relax after such a tumultuous ride but before we can enjoy these beautiful raging coasts we have some business to attend to. We have to greet the current leader of this town, as it grows into a city and extends the community he'll be promoted to the warden. Helping the petals expand is how we secure peace among our boarders and supporters" Merrze explained. With a heavy stretch, she would continue to lead up the cliffside. Up top there would be a plateau, there were some terraced houses on the way up but the majority lived on the island's summit.

Kahli was a large island but its power was in the waters, and islands surrounding it. It had natural barriers and powerful currents. Reim had powerful devices involving hydraulics, and steam was a growing sector there was well from her information network. This modern world they were beginning to grow in saw the might of mind become closer to taking on the force of magic. She was here for the growth of innovation, but she also planned to have a guiding hand in such matters. This city, it was a dream to make a mechanical state, buildings, and streets with functions to improve the quality of life with those here. They would design inventions, they would work on innovation in order to help advance the rest of the nation. That was her goal, if she was lucky they would pull it off.

"I see my guests have arrived" A voice would say following the tapping of a cane. A man with white hair and a scarred face would approach them. He seemed blind, or mostly blind based on his actions. He would continue "I was told you'd be around here my Akitdaoh. I'm glad you've come to uplift and support some of our engineers' ideas, oh where are my manners, I am the leader of Kahli, I am Falaq of Sasan. I left long during the crusades from being ostracized, I learned the truth of the world. I found purpose here, and I found my brain had some use here. Though I'd say I'm fair around a sword as well" he would say with a slight chuckle following.

The Building of Kahli [Chain/Job/Merlin] 1e608d5c53e5b85985c034ed2b4e7e83

"Well, it's wonderful to meet you, good to know the people have a charismatic leader" she would say. Following up Merrze continued "I've seen some ideas for the waterwheels but we've found some ways to expand on it and good ways to put them to use early on as well. It may be work, but how about you say we go get some snacks, enjoy some tea and get down to discussion. My son here Merlin is growing to be twice as brilliant as me, but a growing boy needs his food."

"Well lucky for you both I agree, let us work up an appetite so we don't gorge ourselves too much, I've grown to love the food while living here. It's nice to enjoy myself unlike back at my old home."

Word Count: 1000+/1000

Last edited by Merrze on 18/03/22, 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Merlin

Merlin
D-Tier
D-Tier

The ride had been more than bumpy, in all honesty, it had been a stare into the abyss. He was lucky to have not stared long enough for it to gaze back into him. Facing death in the form of mother nature's wrath wasn't a very pleasant way to start a work trip in the magician's opinion. Each wave that crashed into the boat was the great roar of a leviathan, the fangs of heaven would bite into the ocean in the form of great striking lightning bolts. It seemed as if the sea and the sky had pulled out every weapon in their arsenals during this venture. So with all that in mind, he had to agree with his mom, he was glad that journey was over.

"Well I can't say I wasn't hoping we would get the chance to lay down first but I'm not surprised" he would say in response to Merrze. It had been a rough ride, but they couldn't exactly leave their host waiting. They were likely to spend more than a few moon cycles in Kahli but it was going to be arduous back-breaking work. Planning the complete advancement of a colony town into a proper city, one that was going to be a shiny example would take their best work.

The place seemed interesting in its beautiful structures and streaked stone houses. He looked at the culture, the theme of design they kept throughout most. It was a strange blend of cultures but the grid layout seemed to prevail with banners and flags hanging above most of the homes. As they approached the town center, he would find his train of thought interrupted as he and his mother were greeted.

After Falaq had finished speaking, and so had his mother the magician would say "A pleasure to meet you, I am Merlin, the second oldest kid of the family and eldest prince of Meridia. It's an honor to meet you, it seems you've all been doing well, I hope with as much knowledge as I can offer that I learn more about leading and connections while I'm here."

He was earnest in his words, while he was a smart kid the smartest thing he knew was his lack of experience in the world. If he was going to be any kind of leader. The way this man carried himself, he definitely seemed to experience in the woes of life. Despite this, he had to be strong or at least commanding to be able to lead the city of Kahli. While many inventors were flocking here there was still a large array of individuals and plenty of tensions. There was plenty that could happen during their time in Kahli.

wordcount: 1000+/1000

Merrze

Merrze
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Spoiler:

The morning in Kahli seemed to be as vibrant as the people. Merrze stepped out on the street, her body was stone, her face was concrete. Her mood was sleet, but the sun was shining and the people were smiling. The radiance melted through the headache of a long night. She was always appreciative of the world, of nature's songs. It had become a source of solace for her long ago, back when chains kept her body broken and darkness imprisoned her mind. Being able to just live, to exist in the world that was freedom. That deep breath pushed the soul and its' warmth through the body. She was born to see this world, she believed that, but now she has new chains. These were ones of duty, of obligation to the cause she founded so that others could feel true freedom.

"I guess I should probably head back in first, at this pace we're gonna have to have breakfast on the road.." she would mumble before turning back, the sun shining on her heels as the afternoon had begun to set in.

It was rare, almost one in ten thousand, for Merrze to wake up late. She was sure her son was happy to get the few extra hours in but it meant they were riding close to today's meeting deadline. It was the fanalis' own fault for staying up so late in the night but she had some innovations ride right in with the sea breeze.

The waves around the coast of the islands seemed to follow patterns caused by the shore shape along with the general tide of the ocean. She had spent the night typing up mock-ups, different ways or wheels to make a hydraulic power system. The technology of their world was moving, Merrze wished to be at the forefront of that.

"I got some soft-boiled eggs, salted boar belly, leftover bread, and some marmalade blend. It's no feast but it'll give us the fuel we need so come on and hurry up my fox if you wanna actually enjoy any of it. I can carry you if you want" Merrze would joke knowing the boy was getting much too large for that.

Once he had gathered all of his things she would open of the temporary villa. It was on the top of the island, near a cliff that overlooked the coast. The villas near the top had such lively markets all around them, some taking you directly into groves to see what fresh fruit was growing. The sun shined brightly on the agricultural scape. The golden rays danced past the trees onto the brick made from nearby limestone.

Even with all of this natural beauty, there was still a desire to grow this town, to show the prowess of the minds that gathered here. The people wished to show their effort at once, it seemed the people who gravitated here wanted to make a marvel. Merrze wished to uplift them, but in all honesty, it would be the people that lived here that would elevate its' status.

Their path would take them down, spiraling along the mountain and its expanse. It was somewhat of a walk to the planning center for future developments. The Kahli cultural council was still new in learning their duties but Kalaq seemed to be doing good in helping them find their duties. He was supposedly going to be there for their meeting but another person would be assigned to assist with each project she had planned.

With their hurry, they would be thankful enough to get pretty close to their destination before the sun would be too past their original meeting time. In a boathouse, on the edge of sands devoured by decades of crashing waves. The building was new, strong stone holding it together with blue silk canopies to draw attention to it. With banded patterns lining the clothes which follow along with the awning and open door of the building.

While it was open, no faces could be seen around, but the voices of chattering people were loud and clear as they approached.

"Well it sounds like while they were waiting they already got to the discussion. I hope you finished eating, I saved some boar belly if you get hungry afterward" Merr would say as she lead the way once more, this time into the boathouse. She was more than ready to start sharing her ideas.

"Sorry we got here so late, I hope we didn't miss too much as I had some ideas that I think you'll sea are great, sorry bad joke but I think you'll understand why once you I show you this."

Merrze as she had spoken would roll out the blueprints, the plans for a vast hydraulic system to help power the city of Kahli.

Job Wordcount: 806/1500

Merlin

Merlin
D-Tier
D-Tier

The crack of dawn was never welcome after a night of ill-acquired sleep. Frustration and fraught sat upon his thoughts, but it was his fault for wanting to be involved in planning. His eyes only just opened, light flashing in the sun bright like last night's candle. The first breath filled with a tired taste pushed through his body creaking just as he pushed the blankets off. The crinkle of paper that held his mother's designs crackled under his feet. The promise of a nice breakfast beckoned his march forward. In just moments he was finely dressed in his robes with his chain at his side. He would smack his lips wondering what his mother was making as delicious daydreams flooded in.

The wake-up call would come first thing when he saw that their morning meal consisted of mixed-up rations. He wouldn't complain but it made him wish he didn't spend his whole night looking at his mother's plans for hydraulic systems. It would use waterwheels and pressure pumps to utilize the powerful currents beneath the sea around Kahli. Merlin had found great interest in not just his magical pursuits, but all pursuits of knowledge. His mother had learned from Reiman engineers and studied in Kou as well.

"Is this my punishment for being interested in your work.." he would jokingly say as the last bit of grogginess left his voice.

While he spoke Merrze would pass back each of one item, Merlin was grateful for his mother but she was speedwalking along the coast. He couldn't tell which was rushing further right now, his mom or the ocean undertow. He almost felt like he would need to fly to try and keep up but he chose the sensible option of speaking up.

"Hey mom I know we may have slept in but if you keep rushing you're gonna leave me behind, I don't have legs of lighting!" exhaustion clung a little bit to his voice as the young magician struggled to stay close. He felt embarrassed, all of his other siblings were speedy and he couldn't follow a light jog.

For the rest of the walk, they were able to stay somewhat close, but the orange-haired boy kept losing his gaze. In just a moment he would wander in thought as looked at the waves. Cresting and crashing with such great force in their ferocious waltz it was almost comforting. With no sense of morbidity intended, it allowed him to drown his thoughts and just live. He wasn't born a fanalis, but he still seemed to share their trademark for tantrums. He didn't exactly throw fits but it was quite easy for his emotions to swell up. Sure the magician had quite a poker face, but it wasn't peachy.

They weren't far off but at least the comfort of warm, melty eggs would bring joy. The sweetness of his orange spread smeared bread was a moody enhancer as well. Just as quickly as a mood had clouded the magician the strong, smoky, and salty flavors of his jerky brought pure joy. Sure, his insecurities weren't gone but droning on didn't help either.

"Ugmesd-oum-ka-ay Uhmom" he would say with a full mom failing to get across his message of "okay mom". Swallowing down the last bit of the day's first meal he would head on in with Merrze to see what their work would entail today. Upon entering the building he saw his mother rush to unveil her work before even saying hello to Falaq and the man working with him.

He imagined it would be hard for Falaq, the blind future-warden. to see what Merr had drawn but the man with him, seemingly from the Tsering tribe. He only assumed so from the man's clothing but he could be wrong, shared fashions were spreading all around.

Now it was time for observation, or so the magician assumed. Sure he could probably pitch in on some thoughts but he wasn't certain in their planning, in their format. It was a good idea on paper but what worked depended on a lot of factors. The Tsering man revealed he was trained under a Reiman engineer living in the city, along with that the old man was apparently out sick. It sounded more like a general degradation of life as the man explained it further to Merrze.

Maybe it would've been okay to tune out, but there was no doubt there was a chance for contention and friction in the discussion of ideas. As bored as it may seem, the pursuit of knowledge could never be abandoned. Merlin would move closer, the best way to pass time was to get work done after all.

"I'm sure even if there are issues she's got a hundred more ideas for you."

Word Count: 838/1500

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum