A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Name: Practice What I Teach
Job Rank: B
Job Location: Reim
Job Reward: 200xp | 15k huang
Job Prerequisites: Swords For Dummies
Job Overview:
You have satisfied Breaker's basic requirements in order to graduate from training dummies to real opponents. He arranges for some other low ranking gladiators to spar with you to help you hone your swordsmanship with some practical combat.

Enemy Name: Rookie Gladiators x 10
Enemy Tier: C
Damage Required to Defeat: C
Description: Rough looking young men who have been fighting in the coliseum for at least a year. Though they do not have many wins under their belts yet, each one has been seasoned by the taste of defeat many a time. They possess C-tier wooden Gladius' and C-tier bucklers.
Abilities:
  • Lunge ~ The gladiator steps in with a thrust dealing C-tier damage

• Backstep ~ The gladiator avoids an attack by quickly stepping backwards.

• Parry ~ The gladiator swipes their buckler at an attack parrying up to C-tier damage.

Zion awoke to the sound of dull thuds and sharp breaths. The magician- No, the warrior in training, sat up and opened his eyes to a dimly lit room. "Ugh...my everything..." Zion groaned as he felt the many bruises from his training against the dummies angrily remind him that he was a heavily wounded man. Zion cast his eyes across the room as he laid back down and caught sight of Breaker firing jabs at a sand bag that was hanging from the ceiling. "So you're awake." The veteran gladiator caught the swaying punching bag and brought to a stand still. He turned his head and met eyes with his student.

"You're heavier than you look, you know. I didn't know which inn you were staying at so I just brought you to my place."

"Sorry about that." The youth said as he rubbed the back of his head where a wooden dummy had struck him good. "I'll be gone soon. Just...give me a moment." Zion groaned. Breaker scoffed and shook his head. "Forget it, kid. You probably have a few cracked bones. Just lay there and rest. This is a good opportunity to meet your new training partners anyways. This here is state housing provided to Reim citizens that are full time gladiators. I'm gonna round up a few of my neighbors. They're rough and rowdy bunch, but they're good kids. Got plenty of spunk." The words made Zion's face curl into an odd expression. "Having spunk...is a good thing?" He wasn't sure what that was, but it sounded gross.

Breaker didn't answer. Instead the man brought over a basin full of cool water with a cloth soaking in it. "Just rest here for a few more hours. I'm heading out for some business. When I get back we can eat and meet the others." The middle aged gladiator then turned and left giving Zion little time to respond. The trainee swordsman let out a sigh and deflated as he lethargically grabbed the damp cloth and placed it over his face. Zion enjoyed the cool touch of the cloth and slowly fell back asleep before he knew it.

WC: 359/1500

Last edited by Zion on 05/04/22, 07:57 am; edited 1 time in total

2Practice What I Teach[NoM] Empty Re: Practice What I Teach[NoM] 13/02/22, 07:39 am

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

Zion awoke to a cacophony of voices arguing over meat. "That's my bison steak!" Shouted a deep rumbling voice like that of a mountain. "Hehe! You're too slow, Guri!" Retorted another high pitched voice that almost seemed to belong to a child. "Don't fight you two, here. You can have half of mine." Spoke another somewhat effeminate voice which tried to mediate. An explosion of discussion erupted causing Zion to rise from the bed. He'd been here a few days now and had healed enough to move about without his body screaming painful revolt.  The magician checked his bandages which kept his face wrapped up in mystery before opening the door to Breaker's room and exiting into a common area where eleven people were seated around a large table enjoying a meal.

"Quiet!"

Breaker's voice cut through the crowd of noise and brought silence to everyone. "Our sleeping ugly has woken up. Clear a spot ya mongrels." The other gladiators all turned to look and leveled judging stares upon Zion. He gulped down a lump in his throat. The weight of these staring eyes made him feel uncomfortable as he moved to sit at the end of the table where the smallest of the fighters and squeezed against the largest. Zion sat down for hardly a breaths time before the large man shifted pushing the smallest one into Zion, knocking the magician off the bench.

"Hahahahahaa!"

The group of them, save for Breaker, burst into laughter at the prank. Even the small one despite being used as a middle man. "Enough. Let the kid eat in peace. We're headed to the field after this." Zion frowned and got up to dust himself off. "Yeah, yeah, hilarious guys." The young storm kitsune had gotten used to the hazing of these ten men by now. He took his seat once more and dished up what was left of the meat and fruits, fighting for scraps of what the others had yet to devour.  After a quick meal, everyone got up and went back to their rooms to gear up.

Zion was strapping simple gladiator leathers on in Breaker's room when the veteran spoke up from the doorway. "I'm providing you with a buckler today in addition to a lighter wooden training sword. Try not to let the gang make a total fool of you, ya damned fool." Zion then caught the buckler Breaker tossed towards him and smiled confidently. "I'll do my best." He was eager to get back at these hooligans after enduring their mocking and teasing for the past half week.

Practice What I Teach[NoM] Orig_b81268b390c8319aab7521dd54c94e81
In a field outside Remano, the ten gladiators stood ready. Each of them equipped with the same wooden gladius' and bucklers that had been provided to Zion. The fledgling warrior stepped forward to meet them with Breaker at his back and scanned the ten with a heavy gaze. "Alright....who's first?" Zion asked as he took a stance at the ready.

"I am!"

Shouted the large grinning Guri as he stepped forward to meet Zion. "Begin." Breaker stated tersely as he took up a place on the side. "You think the masked freak stands a chance?" the blonde asked his white haired companion. "No way, Guri's gonna flatten him. Just look how scrawny the punk is." Similar comments were exchanged among eight of the nine. One auburn haired man remained silent however. His arms crossed as he watched carefully.

"Take this!"

Guri lunged with his blade but Zion raised his buckler and blocked the strike as he stepped forward and used the size difference between them to slide below the man and between his legs. "Haaa! An overhead strike from Zion struck the large Guri right in the groin causing the large man to let out a groan. He fell to the floor cupping his injured jewels to the sound of a collective, "Ooooo...." as the other gladiators hissed and felt a bit of the pain themselves. Zion stood and glared at the group once more.

"Match, Rookie wins. Juuki, Atticus, Venti. You three are next."

Breaker announced Zion's victory and called out the others for a three on one match up. Guri crawled back to the line up as the others stepped forward, a sour look on his face as the smallest fighter grinned at him, "Not so great being as big as a silverback ape, is it?" The little one snickered. "Shut it, twerp...That rookie just got a cheap shot off." Complained the mountainous man.

WC: 1110/1500

3Practice What I Teach[NoM] Empty Re: Practice What I Teach[NoM] 19/03/22, 08:20 am

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

Zion took up his stance as the three gladiators positioned themselves around him. Juuki faced the bandaged trainee head on from the front. Atticus flanked to the right while Venti was to the left. "Begin!" called Breaker from the sidelines. All three gladiators made their move at once. A vertical slash from above, a thrust from the right, and a horizontal sweep from the left. Zion's eyes darted side to side and he desperately tried to respond, but three foes attacking at once was beyond his skill to manage fully. His shield met the thrust with a block and his wooden blade met Juuki's slash with one of his own, but the sweeping strike hit Zion's side causing him to drop his shield. Atticus thrust once more and Zion barely avoided being struck in the face by stepping backwards. All three gladiators pressed their advantage and Zion was forced into a retreat.

"Don't just run, kid! If you can't find an opening, make one!"

Breaker's advice just made Zion grit his teeth in frustration. That was easier said than done. He tried to slash Juuki, but the man just backstepped out of the way. Venti took advantage of Zion's overextension and cut down on his arm as the swing missed its mark. Meanwhile, Atticus continued to perform clean thrusts which kept Zion's shield busy. "Enough!" Zion's temper came to a boil and he tackled his body sideways towards Atticus. The move also let him dodge the latest strikes from Venti and Juuki as the two fighters fell to the ground. Zion clambered off of Atticus with a roll that placed the gladiator between himself and the other two. Their formation surrounding him was broken for now. But it would not be hard for them to establish it once more if he didn't act fast.

Zion roared and rose his arm to telegraph a big swing, but it was just a feint. Juuki was the first to step forward with a parry to deflect an attack which never came. Zion paused mid swing and grinned as he watched his opponent swipe empty air. He took advantage of the opening this made and thrust his wooden sword into the man's throat. Juuki fell back grasping at his neck as Venti moved forwards. Atticus was just behind him having gotten to his feet by now.  Zion retreated one large step only to advance by a half step. His buckler blocked another strike as he traded blows with Venti. The magician accepted a cut to his leg in exchange for stabbing Venti in the chest where his heat would rest. He then dropped his shield and stepped past Atticus only to spin on the ball of his feet to deliver an unexpected slash to the back of the man's neck.

"Enough! You three, step down."

"But Breaker, we can still fight!" Argued Juuki who was still rubbing at his throat. "Only because we're using practice weapons. None of you landed blows on vitals, but the rookie hit each of you in places that would have ended your lives. Don't talk back, just go stand with the others." Breaker mercilessly shot down the protests and then nodded his head to the last remaining fighters. "Maximus, Bear, Sarkon, Theusius. Step forward." The words ushered the last of the ten gladiators to move into position surrounding Zion. The look they gave him was no longer one of derision and mockery. All four had solemn gazes as they now appeared to take Zion seriously.

WC: 1500+/1500

4Practice What I Teach[NoM] Empty Re: Practice What I Teach[NoM] 19/03/22, 09:16 am

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

"Surrounded and outnumbered again? This is seriously unfair." Said the rookie with a shake of his head, but nobody gave his gripes any concern. "Quit if you want, but forget about coming back for more training if you do." Quiped Breaker with a teasing tone. Zion just snorted at that and focused on the opponents around him. "Begin!" At Breaker's signal, the four men stepped forwards. But Zion advanced as well, not willing to be encircled once again. He rushed towards Bear who was to his right and then dropped low. Bear was almost as big as Guri was, so it looked like this slide was a repeat of the same maneuver from the first fight. Seeing this, Bear felt a phantom pain between his legs at the thought and crossed his knees. But it was just a trick on Zion's part. Rather than fully slide, the youth transitioned into a fully compressed jump from the floor up. His wooding blade cut upwards and caught Bear on the chin while he was off guard.

Just like that, one foe was felled. But the airborne Zion found himself quickly attacked by the other men who had not remained idle.  By the time he landed a thrust and two slashes were already headed his way. Zion took the blows on his sword and shield, the latter of which exploded into splinters having reached its limits. The rookie used this to his advantage however and rushed through the debris to stab Maximus in the gut. He took a blow on his back and leg as the price though and gnashed his teeth in pain as he whipped around to face the two remaining fighters.  A flurry of strikes was unleashed by Sarkon and Theusius. The two worked in sync to keep the pressure on constantly. Zion was only able to meet their strikes with his sword and footwork. His legs carrying him sideways and backwards without pause. No less than eight times did they nick his arms, torso, and face, before Zion found a chance to turn the tables on them. Sarkon stepped in front of Theusius to chase after the magician delaying his partner's own pursuit by a half breath. This was all the time Zion needed to break their siege of strikes!

A flash of Zion's wooden blade struck out only to be parried by Sarkon, but this was within the bandaged boy's expectations. His true strike was in the form of a clenched fist which he drove into Sarkon's face. It was far from a powerful blow, but it startled to man giving Zion time to slash his neck. As Sarkon recoiled, Theusius emerged from behind him with a thrust at Zion's chest. Zion half stepped to the side and caught the blade under his armpit as he delivered a chopping cut to the gladiator's wrist forcing him to release his grip on the weapon. "Enough! Rookie is the winner!" Breaker declared the victory much to the frustration of the other gladiators. The four men all returned to the group rubbing at the places where they had been struck.

"Even a rookie who is still wet behind the ears can best each of you. Looks like you boy's need more training." Breaker said to the ten fighters who all dropped their heads in shame. "You did well, kid. Go back and rest up. I'll drill these good for nothings a while longer yet. Beaker said with a nod. This brought a smile to Zion's lips though it wasn't easily seen beneath the thick wrapping of bandages around his face. "Yes! Enjoy the extra work out, gang!" The youth taunted with a wave as he turned and headed back to the city. On the way in through Remano's gates, Zion looked down at his hand and pondered to himself. 'It seems like I'm really beginning to make progress...at first I didn't even know how to swing a sword properly. But now I'm beating multiple opponents at once! I must be really amazing, right? Hehehe~' Little did Zion know, Breaker was watching him leave with a frown.

"That punk is getting a little too cocky...seems like it's time to let him know his place. I'll have to send Korrina a letter."

WC: 1500+/1500

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum