Nero
Emperor JaJa
Jingyi Hou
Silva Kaida
Ariel
Diana Corvus
18 posters

Would you want to go through with this?

A New Host and a New Plot Votepi1071%A New Host and a New Plot Votepi10 71% [ 10 ]
A New Host and a New Plot Votepi1029%A New Host and a New Plot Votepi10 29% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A New Host and a New Plot Empty A New Host and a New Plot 10/12/17, 08:04 pm

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

I just want to clarify that my vision is not a guaranteed outcome of the switch. This is purely for if we want to switch forum hosts. I've mentioned this in the Discord so the majority here knows about it. I just wanted to make it clear for the rest.

After a brief discussion in the chat, a few of you wanted me to bring up a thread regarding this potential course of action for the future of our site. I will try my best to explain the details and the options we can take. However, this may be a discussion that can be carried on even further in the future if we decide to go through with it.

The main change that will come from this is moving our forum host. While Forumotion is a functional place for our forum and it has been for many years, some of us feel that it would be nice to move to a more flexible host when it comes to customization and functionality. There are benefits and downsides when it comes to switching our host:

PROS

On forum hosts such as Proboards and Jcink, there is more support and customization for layouts and plugins. This would allow us to keep our current functionality while potentially adding more quality of life features to the site. (ex. If we moved to Proboards, I know two plugins that we could utilize to completely automate huang and EXP rewards. Even in events and contests.)

It will provide a chance to reorganize and recreate our forum sections for better convenience and more possibilities. While it is more for staff, it applies to regular members as well. This will help with many areas of the site with organization. (ex. We can make archives less of a mess to sort through by adding more categories to split up all of the information.)

CONS

Forumotion does not offer the forum download for transfers. This would mean that all threads and accounts wouldn't be able to be transferred over. This presents a problem of whether or not we are going to start a new plot or not. But that is a point I will bring up below.

There may be a few members lost in the switch. This could be for a multitude of reasons that I won't try to list here. We all know it is inevitable and if we go through with this, we should be prepared to lose a few members, old or new.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what we would do with the site plot and even your own plot! That is going to be the big debate between all of us. Many are not able to part with the plot they have created on the current site. Some could care less. When I first came up with this idea, it was a back up for if the site ever died under my admin term or if we were dying. A fresh new start was the vision in my mind. However, the site is no where near dead and yet some of you are interested in this possibility.

Regardless of whether we go through with this or not,
this site will not be going anywhere. It will never be deleted. At least not by me. Your hard work and dedication will always be here until it can't be here any longer due to whatever circumstances the future brings.

Now, I will explain my vision and plan for what I would want to happen if we did this. Much to my dismay, I feel it would be a good course of action and make the transition easier on all of us.

I would completely rewrite our site plot into a new timeline. There are some aspects of our current site plot that I do enjoy and I would try to incorporate them into the new site plot. However, I feel it would be easier on us to recreate the world in a transition so we don't have to have new members and current members cross referencing the site too often.

In order to close out this current plot, I would create a small event to end our world. I would love to have everyone be incorporated into a site wide event that involves our world returning back to the rukh.

My vision would be to potentially use a plot that Lagi has wanted to undertake to summon a powerful being into this world. Perhaps, out of fear, Ugo decides to return the world back to the rukh as it is dying from the influence of Il Ilah. Similar to Alma Torran. We would lose the battle against this monster but it would be a hard fought battle. This would take place in place of the dungeon or after it. None of our NPCs will survive this. Not even the Contractor.

Everyone would be able to recreate their characters if they wished. The only downside to this would be if your character was heavily involved in the site plot like many older members. You would be able to create a new or recreate your old character with the same tier and achievements they once had. All magic tools, items, beasts,
etc. would be able to be kept as well. There will be a chance to revamp them as well. For example: If Lagi recreated his character in the new universe, he would be able to start with a DMV and potentially be the ruler of Reim if he so chose.

We could introduce new places and alter systems in places that was walled off before. For instance, we could open up places like Kina and Sasan to be available to be visited. We could allow Magic Tools to be created and reforged by players in Magnostadt. Just a few things we would be able to do without having to write much plot for it.

While I most likely didn't cover everything because this was a premature idea coming from me, it is all I had in mind.
I did not expect everyone to be interested in this concept.
Even if it was for better or for worse. But I'm glad it was brought up and discussed. However, it needs more discussion. If you all could do a favor for me, fill out the form below so I can get a general census on how others feel. If you are not in favor of this idea, you do not need to fill this out. However, you can if you want to.

Code:
[b]What would you want to do with the site plot if we transferred?[/b]

TEXTHERE

[b]Would you want us to move to Proboards or Jcink? Why?[/b]

TEXTHERE

[b]Would you prefer doing this transition after the Kou Civil War or in place of the dungeon?[/b]

TEXTHERE

If you have any other comments, questions, or concerns--
please post them with your form. This is a place for a civil discussion about the topic at hand. Do not get off topic and refrain from arguing. I know this may be a sensitive topic for some as it would be a massive change.

Last edited by Diana Corvus on 12/12/17, 05:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

──────────────────────────────────────────────

A New Host and a New Plot 001
A New Host and a New Plot 002A New Host and a New Plot 003

2A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 10/12/17, 08:20 pm

Ariel

Ariel
A-Tier
A-Tier

What would you want to do with the site plot if we transferred?

I mean, it kind of depends on what you mean by 'plot'. If you want to change the lore, there had better be a good reason >.< I find myself very much against the idea of changing the lore of the site. However, if it's the plot - that's okay. I just don't want to have to backtrack much.

edit; Honestly? I'd rather not change the lore at all. In fact, all I really want to do is just change sites. That's all >.< But if you guys really want to change the lore/history I mean, so as long as I'm not forced to backtrack a crap ton, I'm willing to do anything.

another edit; Now that Jingyi has completely explained her idea, I find myself agreeing with her.

Would you want us to move to Proboards or Jcink? Why?

Both sites are good honestly. However, I find myself having to go with Jcink. Firstly, I really hate coding on Proboards - newclass simply makes it too hard for me to organize everything - which always results in messy codes. Secondly, I really like their account switching feature. Especially since I can be logged into one account but be able to post from another account simultaneously. Another thing with Proboards I have to pick at - having images in the profile. Honestly, if I'm being completely honest, there is a possibility we'll have to scrap those if we go to either Jcink or Proboards. I haven't looked into Jcink, but I've already tried to do it with Proboards - and it was a bit of a failure. Maybe you could get it to work though?

Would you prefer doing this transition after the Kou Civil War or in place of the dungeon?

I would prefer the transition to happen after the Civil War and after the dungeon. Let our event wrap up to its end before we start transitioning.

Last edited by Ariel-chan on 10/12/17, 08:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

3A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 10/12/17, 08:29 pm

Silva Kaida

Silva Kaida
β-Tier
β-Tier

As for the plot I'm not really sure. I trust whatever you guys decide to come up with tbh. I would like to maybe have a role in it somehow though if that's possible.

Either. I've never been on anything but forumotion.

Would you prefer doing this transition after the Kou Civil War or in place of the dungeon?

I won't be a part of the next dungeon but I think after that would work so people could go ahead and get thier magic tools and stuff if they feel like bringing that with them

Really I like the idea of starting fresh. It seems cool and while it may effect the older patrons here I'm still fairly new with my characters so I would be totally okay with starting new. Although I would probably keep using Silva XD.

https://magiworld.forumotion.com/t9186-memiors-of-an-old-assassin

4A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 10/12/17, 08:31 pm

Jingyi Hou

Jingyi Hou
A-Tier
A-Tier

I think it would be less messy if we just did some sort of soft-reset? Everything that had happened -such as the previous dungeons and the events- but we leave it vague. We won't have to have new members coming onto the site cross-referencing with the older plot to necessarily understand what's happening, however, it's still there. The vague part is so whenever an old member returns, we can fill it into the new plot.

I prefer Jcink. I like how you can have a central account and then switch between the others.

I would prefer to do this after both the Kou Civil War and after the Dungeon.

{ Alt Account: Amatus Laertes & Merari }

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

6A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 10/12/17, 09:01 pm

Nero

Nero
β-Tier
β-Tier

New plot. (Idk much about the current plot bc my activity is spotty but I figured I might as well give my opinion bc it'd be helpful)

Jcink bc more customization options (as i've heard)

Whichever is sooner, idk. (Not involved in either oops)

A New Host and a New Plot ZL6zLl6

From far and wide
And lightyears away
The one force of nature
They call by name
I came from tomorrow to take back today
I am the future

7A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 10/12/17, 09:18 pm

Trently

Trently
A-Tier
A-Tier

Take all the major events that had gone down here on Magi World and implement them into the new lore and canon of the new reset world. Leave the twelve dungeons left conquered as they are but have it be very vague and pretty much anonymous on who conquered what as some old returning King Candidates may want to hop in on the new reset world while keeping their Metal Vessels. I would prefer leaders to be somewhat mirrored versions of canon Magi World leaders, such as maybe we can have Adam who was the son of Gao Yuan Zu lead Kou yet just under a slightly altered name.

I say Proboards only cause I enjoy the way it looks and slightly also cause I think it might lean more on the comfortable side with some of our affiliates.

I'd prefer as the dungeon is happening/ending as that would help give an impactful ending to the first part of Magi World. In place of the dungeon would probably in my eyes lessen the intensity of our current world's ending and feel not as conclusive as it I believe it should be. The dungeon has been hyped up so much as of late that it would feel kind of wrong to not have it take place in this world in my opinion. Also, it would really set the tone and feel of this new upcoming part of Magi World to have the last dungeon of this world be the 12th dungeon, the final of the dozen.

A New Host and a New Plot 35360610

8A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 12:54 pm

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

@Jingyi Hou

You can have a central account on Proboards as well. Though with Jcink, I'm not sure if it's easier to switch through their sites. Is it?

All in all, thank you for everyone's input. Just wanted to note that this will probably be up for a week or so before we reach our final verdict.

9A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 01:16 pm

Rain

Rain
C-Tier
C-Tier

@Diana Corvus | I think Jingyi is specifically talking about switching through accounts. Sure ProBoards have a little button but... JCINK makes it even easier. ProBoards tends to make things a touch more difficult to switch between accounts on mobile devices as well. Also, JCINK has a very interesting/helpful little feature. Let me get screenshots.

http://prntscr.com/hm3sc0 <--- this little feature is one of my favorites.
http://prntscr.com/hm3skf <--- i'm currently logged into the user in red. so when i hit submit, the post will show to be made by 'kurosawa akira' name totally not a reference.
http://prntscr.com/hm3t9n <--- however, if i were to change the 'select sub-account author' to 'sunflower', it would show that the post was made by sunflower. keep in mind i can do this while still being logged into kurosawa akira's account.

10A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 01:18 pm

Adrastos Thanatos

Adrastos Thanatos
A-Tier
A-Tier

I'm going to start off by saying this seems like a Sara or Yaku thing to do, mainly Sara though seeing as she was the one who wanted to do a natural disaster that destroyed either a country or the world and gave the site a "clean slate" along with a time skip. Of course, since Sara and Zax were chased off before they finalized their policies during the previous admin election and could give a clear response or outlook, there's no longer any proof of this. What do ya know? Anyway, why this is suddenly an okay thing to do is beyond me since everyone was opposed to it then. Why not now?

I'll be going through each bolded section one by one, and explain what I either like or dislike and why I feel the way I do. Let's get started:

Pros & Cons
Both sites rely heavily on code, least this is my experience. However there are sites out there such as Adoxography 2.0, Wicked Wonderland, Template HQ, Slightly Insane, Gangnam Style, etc that offer templates and skins for others to use. There can be a total of forty plugins, ten keys, and two super keys for Proboards without buying more. Now what are keys? Well, some plugins, such as the monetary system Proboards has, uses a key. In the case of the monetary system, you need one Super Key, leaving one left. The other Super Key would be used for the experience plugin, leaving no more keys left to use. You can use maybe thirty-eight more plugins and ten keys now. Have fun with that. I'm not sure how Jcink works, so I can't comment on that other than when I tried it was more complicated than Proboards.

One great thing about Proboards, however, is that you have a main Proboards account and all forum accounts are connected to that one main account. This means you only need to use one email for any characters on the forum and can switch characters easily. There's more but I don't want to waste too much time.

For cons, not much to say other than if you don't want to move, like me (you'll know my reasons soon enough) you will get left behind until you switch, because let's face it... There are no Magi sites out there really.

I would completely rewrite our site plot into a new timeline.
Yes, you admit you'd try to incorporate "some aspects" into the new plot, but you fail to say what. The Kou Civil War? The Heliohapt and Reim war, or Reim and Kou wars? I'd like to know which, if any at all, you'd like to keep, other than vague mentioning of previous dungeon conquerors.

In order to close out this current plot, I would create a small event to end our world.
Basically let our characters commit unsuspecting suicide in a fruitless attempt to save the world just to end up all dead. And the fact you just sweep it aside as a "small" event is laughable mainly because of the scale of the destruction. I'll get into why this sucks in the next portion.

Everyone would be able to recreate their characters if they wished.
Yay! but wait, realistically, our characters shouldn't be the same as here. Why? Well, first off the character here died. The experiences they went through to make them the person they are now wouldn't have happened. Sure we get our stuff and rank, but why? It doesn't make sense logically. They didn't earn it because they didn't go through the experiences the characters here did.

Think of this Magi World as Magi I and the new site to be Magi II. Magi I has its characters and Magi II has the same characters, but those characters are different as is the world around them because events of peoples lives and histories are altered in some way. You provided the example pf Lagi suddenly being King of Reim with a DMV if he so chose. He wouldn't be the Lagi we know now because we don't know if he became king of his own accord, was born into the royal family, or if events happened like Magi I and he took over the throne by slaughtering the government officials that tried to make Reim a Republic. Keeping in mind the different scenarios that happened, Adrastos wouldn't be who he is. If Lagi was and has always been the king of Reim and with a DMV, Adrastos might not have took his first steps to becoming a villain on Magi II. You claim we can "recreate" our character but in reality we can't or it wouldn't make sense.

Plus, think if we got any new members and they knew that despite the site being a day old, you already have members with all of this stuff and high ranks. It wouldn't be fair. If you really plan on switching, everyone must start from the beginning, at Level 1 with nothing to their character. They can still create a version of the character they previously had, but nothing else.

We could introduce new places and alter systems in places that was walled off before.
I have no quarrel with this really I suppose.

Sadly, this will be just like the magic tools for magicians. If it doesn't go through, people will whine and whine and whine until it happens. It will always be brought up. So, you might as well just do it to save on the annoying headaches later on.

A New Host and a New Plot 3oCk1sb

A New Host and a New Plot 7kZv0Du
A New Host and a New Plot AmCJaPN A New Host and a New Plot Ltg0RVb A New Host and a New Plot VjD0Py3

Trait Points: 4/11 | SoS: 1

11A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 01:56 pm

Oliver Oxford

Oliver Oxford
β-Tier
β-Tier

I might be biased but I joined the group late--I wouldn't mind seeing a new plot all together and starting over. Get to know some other characters more, reestablish friendships, rework Oliver--maybe change his name but keep his face and personality the same--change up his style? You know, it's a new universe! Things can be the same, a little different or really different!
*Cue X-files theme*
Plus--I could really get to work on my plot for Oliver escaping from Magnostadt rather than shoe-horning it into the plot as if he had already escaped. SO I feel like I could really contribute to the new site more.

I've always found Jcink is neat (aside from the on site messenger "CLICK" sound effect)

Doesn't matter to me!

12A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 02:15 pm

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

@Adrastos Thanatos

I'M going to start off with your first paragraph. Yes, this is practically what Sara wanted to do. However, you failed to read an important part of the first post.

When I first came up with this idea, it was a back up for if the site ever died under my admin term or if we were dying. A fresh new start was the vision in my mind. However, the site is no where near dead and yet some of you are interested in this possibility.

I had never intended for this to come to discussion. It was a rough plan I had discussed with Rima as a backup plan for the death of the site. It was mentioned briefly in the chat as a lighthearted gesture but developed into something that kept the interests of many.

The coding is not my concern. I know how to code, it'll be fine. The keys are not my concern. I've set up a forum with a multitude of plugins that would be just enough and more for Magi and I have never been required to purchase a key due to lack of space. So, I will have fun with that because I'll never need to do it. You don't need to worry about any of those things because that is what I would worry about.

You don't have to get left behind. That is up to the individual. This site will always be up yet I will most likely disable it for posting and have links up to redirect to the new site. Depending on how this goes plot-wise, you might not even have to do anything except copy paste. But it's not a concern until the discussion for that pops up.

The aspects that I would include would have to be thought out. Again, I had stated the idea was premature. I can't give you those answers until that discussion is brought up in a new thread. That is even if this goes through.

It's a small event because it wouldn't take nearly as long as the current one that we are running. However, I never said that everyone would die. We would just be defeated. It doesn't mean we have to die. Again, this is one of many ideas that have been brought to or thought up by myself. It is supposed to be an event to close the world off in a state of valor. That we fought hard and died for a good cause or helped whatever was destroying our world in the case of the more evil members. In the end, the world would be returned back to the rukh or we would all be moved to a different dimension. That was my vision. However, it does not have to be that way exactly.

I am offering that possibility because of the fact that many people would be quite salty to lose all of their hard earned work just because the majority wanted to switch sites. They might want to keep their characters as is, like myself. I don't think I would want to scrap Diana. I love her as a character and she has made developments that I enjoy. You don't understand how this would impact me as well. I'm not a fan of starting fresh but I'm willing to if that is what comes down to it.

However, don't take this as a "THIS IS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN" because this will be brought up as a discussion as well. It's a big change and we have to go through all of the steps to ensure success. If this thread passes, I won't stop the discussion here.

You're voicing a concern about something that you don't know will ever happen. It happened once and did not repeat multiple times. I'm completely fine on this site despite wishing that we were on another forum host but I won't be the one fighting for it. From what I take from this, people like the idea but they aren't ravenous about it. We aren't fighting tooth and nail over it.

But that all is just my two cents on what you had said.

13A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 03:12 pm

Lagi

Lagi
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

I don't think the motion of staying will win. If they are new or climbing up the latter, it's most likely that they will say yes to a reset. Personally didn't think we needed this so soon, i was more focusing on imploring the problems we had at the moment. For example, the rukh system and even how to get people to use the activity checks more often if there is worthwhile kickback with consistency.

I will comply if it passes. because i do have a disaster level plot tool at my disposal, i'll just need to alter the plan with this.

However, I liked how simple this site was, as well as the domain. This isn't like the time where i would complain about moving to discord because it'll hurt site traffic over the site chatbox, this is is about moving to a domain that people may or may not like to use. I personally like Fourmotion the most, i rped plenty of places, i think i'm more fine with this kind of domain.

I'm not really using the code for responses because i'm against it, and there isn't a "Why say Nay" template created her.e But i won't go on tangent either.

Everyone, it's easy to say yes, but please be sure this isn't a decision you'll regret.

A New Host and a New Plot CrChE3t

A New Host and a New Plot LBbFjDO

Lagi's Vault

14A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 03:50 pm

Rima Fahim

Rima Fahim
A-Tier
A-Tier

I'm a big fan of the whole soft-reset approach. Allow everyone to keep their plot, tier, items, ect; but the world and story around them has been altered. How did this all happen? Turns out, the original world was phased out of existence, leaving nothing but the rukh behind. Strangely enough though, they managed to migrate to this new world of ours.

Unless you're some sort of omnipotent being, you don't remember jack of what happened. Everything in this new world might be identical for you, but then again, everything might be different. Depends on how you decide to handle it.

Doing something like this would not only give staff more freedom, but also players. Don't like the way you've progressed your character so far? (Me in a nutshell.) Feel free to change anything about them on the new site, it's practically a free character re-spec. Example; Joe the warrior has spent his entire life being envious of magicians. Guess what, in this new world he could become the magician. Joe the ex-warrior is now happy.

Being able to clean the slate would be an absolute blessing for staff who deal with plot. Remember that incredibly important thread from 4 years ago that was never logged in any sort of archive? Well, it doesn't really matter much anymore. However, it COULD matter too. If a returning / or current member wanted that specific part of the plot to be involved with the new world, it could be. Like I said before, most things that happened on this site would have happened in this new world. Everything is just vague / not detailed until it is needed again, if needed at all. Doing this would be a great chance to clean up irrelevant plot.

All-in-all, I think that a soft-reset of this kind would be fantastic. Everyone would be given an ample amount of time to wrap up current plot, and to close any threads that might be still open. No one would directly lose anything in this transfer, not unless they want it to be lost. I understand that we risk the chance of losing some players if we go through with this, but so far, it seems like a decent amount of people are excited to see it go through. A change like this isn't something that needs to be feared.

Proboards, most likely. I've heard from a little birdie that Jcink's admin panel is kinda trash. Nah, but I think proboard sites look really nice. Then again, Jcink sites can also look really nice. --- I'm gonna go with Proboards.

Doing it around the time of the dungeon would be interesting, as we could simply host the dungeon as the new board's first "event". It doesn't really matter to me much though, but it'd most likely be easier / cleaner to do it post-Kou everything.

A New Host and a New Plot BgH0fcQ
---
Traits Points: 0/8
Shards of Solomon: x2

15A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 04:53 pm

Neppy

Neppy
A-Tier
A-Tier

See what Diana, has in mind and what others have to pitch in.

Which ever is better for the members to transition too.

After the kou civil war, preferably the battles o-O

Last edited by Aseo Asehi on 15/12/17, 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

A New Host and a New Plot 423-BF605-76-D0-4-D75-80-E7-B83-DB1711-D97
~[^vault^]~
A New Host and a New Plot 52-ADE66-B-93-D2-40-AC-9571-EF82-D3-DA78-D2
~Neph Axca~
A New Host and a New Plot 5-E8-D9772-5936-4-ECD-AC02-55939-A629576

16A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 11/12/17, 06:17 pm

Zadi

Zadi
A-Tier
A-Tier

I've lost my motivation to RP in general, but maybe this will help considering we can create a new character without starting from scratch. I don't have any problem with this or whatever anyone else suggests. Thank you T~T

17A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 12/12/17, 12:33 am

Trently

Trently
A-Tier
A-Tier

Long Note: Lately, ever since the announcement and suggestion of this, I've been fearing that the ending may be done wrong or distasteful. In my personal opinion, I feel like it would feel very sad to not carry any memories over into this new or altered world. To add onto that, to not have any memories crossover at all would destroy the point of many people's current plots they've built up. A lot of us here at Magi World probably would not want to have our characters lose all of our memories of this world, myself included.

I'm really not sure how I would feel if my next character was simply a mirror of Trently. At the very least, I think some people should be allowed their memories from the previous world. One way people can keep their memories is if the world doesn't completely return to the rukh but instead is simply altered and merged with a new world if that makes any sense. The event of our world being altered and fit into this new world could be an odd phenomenon to the natives of that world as some of us would still retain memories of another previous world.

I'm iffy about making a mirrored version of your character cause at the end of the day, it wouldn't be your character, it would simply be a mirrored version. However, there could be a unique way of doing this to meet the man in the middle and that is by merging your character's memories with another character's memories of the other world. So, in this scenario, you'd be two people at the same time if you so choose. Being two people at once would work in a sort of way how Josuke from Jojo Part 8 goes about being two people at once except in this case you'd retain memories of this world yet also have memories of your together fused counterpart's memories of this new world.

Anyway, I'm completely up for the idea of a world reset as long as it's done right and appeals to the majority of the community.

A New Host and a New Plot 35360610

18A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 12/12/17, 08:19 am

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

In my opinion, the whole concept of ‘returning to the rukh’ is fitting for a transition between sites, and I would welcome the idea wholeheartedly if that is what the site as a collector whole decides on. However, while I know the idea is still in its beta phase, there are a few points that might need clarification or development for plot purposes:
The reason for needing to return the world; this was briefly touched upon by Di, and a plot where Lagi obtains a power large enough to trigger the Sacred Palace’s magic intrigues me, and I am confident that if this route is taken, it would certainly live up to my expectations due to the excellent minds behind both characters and plots.
The creation of the new world; will we have a world which acts as an alternate route to that which Magi: The World of Magic took, and will the non-player characters be altered in personality and role, especially those in high position of power? Again, I have complete faith that these will be dealt with in time and I support those who will be taking this on, I’m up for contributing ideas whenever possible.
The corrupted characters who have fallen into depravity; as they run in a different rail of fate to those who follow Solomon’s rukh, how will they be dealt with in the new world because they cannot return to the greater stream of life? Will they alone be able to remember the past world or will everyone, regardless of rukh, be born again into this new world?

Those are just some brief queries I have, but I’m sure they’ll all be suitably answered. I wish the staff good luck in this venture if it comes about, and I hope everyone else enjoys what exciting plots will arise.

For me, a new site would certainly emphasise the fresh-take this transition between worlds has taken, but I have no preference as to which site we take. However, in my experience on Proboards, the servers enjoy crashing.

Likewise, it doesn’t affect me too much so I’m fine with either.

19A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 12/12/17, 06:51 pm

Duquin

Duquin
A-Tier
A-Tier

The only input I have here is on the plot.

My suggestion is to meet somewhere in the middle between the soft reset and hard reset ideas. Have the il ilah-like presence destroy everything, but don't return everyone to the rukh. That equals everyone dying and if they are sent to a new world that way they would all end up reborn as entirely new people.  Instead, have the contractor work together with Ugo to save humanity from the il illah thing.

Let's be real, the site doesn't have even close to the number of djinn users Sinbad and co. used against the Medium during the Magno/Reim war and that was just the door opener for an il illah presence. There is no one qualified to stand against something like that other than the contractor and the demi-djinn. So when all is lost and things look grim, they can hold the thread off long enough for Ugo to activate a grand scale magic that transports everyone to an alter dimension that Ugo had made and set aside a long time ago. Perhaps the rukh from our world was never the whole and complete sum of solomon's will. Like this isn't the first time Ugo's had to run from Il Illah so he split the rukh of solomon's will across several similar dimensions.

Everyone ends up in a familiar world, there is a Reim, a Kou, etc. But the people living there are different and their history is different. Maybe now Kina is a super power and Kou is a peaceful republic with magnostadt being the main military aggressor on the continent.

As much of a cop-out of a plot that may be, it's no less of a cop out as anything else you could do to justify doing this sort of reset. And it kind of accomplishes a lot of goals.

-Contractor and Demi-Djinn can be killed off by something that would actually reasonably be able to kill them.
-Everyone can keep their memories.
-An entirely new lore can be crafted for the world.
-If someone wants to re-imagine themselves they can just make the "Alter" version of themselves that originally lives in this dimension. Then they can even keep their old character if they decide they don't like it.
-Lagi get's to add "Accidental Destroyer of Realms" to his belt

What's not to love?

Thank you all, for everything.

20A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 13/12/17, 02:24 am

MeiLi

MeiLi
D-Tier
D-Tier

I don't really have any opinions or suggestions as far as plot changes go as I've only recently returned and have never been heavily involved even before i took a break. Whatever you guys decide to do with it and as long as it makes sense and there's no favoritism towards anyone's characters. I'll be happy

Jcink. Like others have been saying, Jcink is better due to the difference in coding from Proboards. Also been on some Jcink sites and I loved their layouts and how they were coded.

Since I'm not participating in either one, I don't really care when the transition happens so long as I'm notified when its starting.

A New Host and a New Plot VrzhBv3

21A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 13/12/17, 10:22 am

Ariel

Ariel
A-Tier
A-Tier

This is an update concerning my opinion of whether we should switch to Proboards or Jcink.

In regards to member experience, I would say Jcink is optimal. Its account switching feature is absolutely wonderful and it seriously makes my life easier. Furthermore, I don't have to use newclass which is an absolute horror to work with at times.

That being said, for the purpose of keeping up our current functionality, we should switch to Proboards. The situation is as follows:

Currently, Jcink already has this money system in existence. However, for the purpose of not having to manually update EXP every time someone makes a post, the money system would be best suited for EXP. It would give you EXP every time you posted. The biggest problem I foresee with this is that these settings are global. It will affect every board which means we won't be able to recreate our XP Reward Threads. That also means members will garner EXP for non-rp posts.

22A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 15/12/17, 05:01 pm

Vodarara

Vodarara
A-Tier
A-Tier

What I would like to see a new site have as features:
Coding of Posts - First of all should be far easier, modification of vaults and so on if you use spoilers to reduce the size and to organise it soon become a chaos of code to navigate.

Any change first of all has to make our lives easier as both players as well as coding and efficiency of staff in terms of the jobs that are site based rather than out of site based.
For this reason I won't specify which host I would prefer or even our own personal webpage and site because its all down to what suits us as a community the best.

Plot Changes:
Personally, I view much of this as a way of being a cop-out or a way of escape massive issues that have developed over time - rather a streamlining or suggest plot line should be given to us as the players but destroying the world or RP work people have put in would absolutely destroy the whole joy of this site for me - its the fact this site has a constant world story even if somethings have been a bit mental.

For example I hate to be selfish here but couldn't it be an excuse to get out of the issue that a massive staff error happened regarding a length of DMed plot I was due and that different Ex-staff and Staff counter claim against each other and Current staff deny any responsibility for that issue. What happens to those with pending plot lines or in my case of being the player with the LONGEST pending plot getting stuff like that sorted if the world is scrapped and NPC's scrapped then what interest is there for us etc, the work we put in is destroyed ?

I want to see a proscribed plot line that doesn't break away from what we have - decanonizing or possibly adding conclusions to events (such as the dragon storyline could be useful) even if its done with NPC's etc but we need to know ahead as lots of the veteran players have stories interwoven with the storyline - People like Lagi, Zadi, Myself and Dungeon runner or King Vessel etc. Losing NPC's, storyline etc all affects how if we "continued" our characters would massively affect what we can write as our characters background lore etc.

Transition Point: This should be at the point that we have got everything ready be that after the civil war or dungeon, but then if you want to put as much work as possible in you might not do the dungeon ?

Expanding the world: While it could be a great thing to expand the world, it would be pointless if it just ends up being empty boards - this was why back during the admin election and during my short tenure as a staff member (lets be clear here I made it clear I was primarily coming on the work on systems and to help when i had spare time on other things) If you don't implement something designed to make the world Live then it will become like many other RP forums - Event Chasing and Pointless bland zones (why do you think i put so much effort over the years into imuchakk ?)

For these reasons: I currently say no due to us having so few details - we need plot details before we look to make a move most certainly.

If anyone has any questions for me please throw a post directed at me here.

23A New Host and a New Plot Empty Re: A New Host and a New Plot 15/12/17, 06:10 pm

Diana Corvus

Diana Corvus
A-Tier
A-Tier

@Vodarara

For the coding of posts, there isn't much we can do about that aside from possibly creating a template made from HTML for vaults which might still create confusion and difficulty of navigation if you don't know a lick of what you're dealing with. However, it can be more compressed as opposed to using BBCode.

But the main appeal for myself in terms of transitioning to a new forum host is the opportunity to optimize our site features for more convenience due to a wider array of customization and support for said host. But there is nothing much to worry about there. I am researching each of our host options with Ariel to figure out which one suits us better.

The direction of plot is not set in stone from what I have stated as my vision. It was as it was, a vision. Others have made their own input as well in regards to ideas. The world may or may not be destroyed and the plot may or may not stay exactly the same. It is up to the community to come together and tell me what they want.

However, the current goal I have gathered from listening to the community speak out about this issue is that they wish to not soil the hard work of others or themselves. However, moving the plot in a direction from the past does not always mean that it will trash the plot developments of others. The way I currently see the community going is in a direction that allows us to mold a new world without throwing out the old world. Our characters, if we choose to keep them, will retain their memories and may have the opportunity to continue where they left off to an extent.

In terms of NPCs being terminated, there could be the decision where they stay but they are in different positions than they used to be. Yoshiro might be a high ranking general and his father a retired veteran. Asisiak may be the daughter of the chief. Like you've stated, it is a mystery on where exactly our plot is headed. It may end up staying the same. Not even I know where it is going. It is up to all of us to decide.

This transition will take a long time to even go into effect. Any current plot including the event and personal plot may be completed within that time frame. If their plot is taken "forgotten" when we transition then they may have not been active pre-transition to finish that plot. While it would be unfortunate, there is nothing I can do. If someone had old plot they wanted continued today, yet the NPC is dead, I still would not continue that plot if I was unable to.

However, it is in everyone's best interest at the moment to ensure that no one has to lose progress if they do not want to. If you gain the household of Asisiak, you will have the option to keep that in the transition as the community mindset is going. Again, this is not set in stone but it's a possibility to look forward to.

But I just want to make it clear for your own future reference, what I had said in the beginning of the thread was supposed to be taken as a vision. I've stated it was a vision that I had if the site had died under my administration. I was open about proposing the idea because it was my initial mindset starting this thread for the others since they wanted me to go through with it when I had not planned to. However, I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind and I respect your decision. If the transition goes through, I hope we can all make decisions that won't negatively impact your experience on the site.

It is irrelevant to the topic but in regards to your plot. I took a responsibility and apologized to you for what I had done. But it takes two to tango. I requested you to create a new request and you've been incredibly resistant over a simple request from me. Again, I apologize an older staff member dropped your plot but it would be nice to have a fresh thread that details all the plans and direction of plot you had going since we are ignorant about your thread with Asisiak.

The previous thread you had was handled by Duquin who stated that it could be incorporated into an event that I'm not sure even happened. There was nothing following that statement and that is why I had requested you to make a new thread. If you think I'm not taking responsibility for your plot then I will be forced to show you the "lack of responsibility" that you say I have if you keep up these childish claims. I will reply on your request shortly. Thank you.

As for expanding the world, I agree. It wouldn't be very good to have more boards without any incentive to roleplay in those boards. Either as a staff team or as a community I will ensure we have a healthy way to prevent event chasing and bland zones. However, these solutions will be presented pre-transition as I will continue working on our current site where we think it needs work as usual.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum