You are not connected. Please login or register

Military Exchange [Private/Ayero]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Military Exchange [Private/Ayero] Empty Military Exchange [Private/Ayero] on 22/06/15, 04:28 pm

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Octavius sighed as he looked at the man standing before him. The man was obviously of Kou lineage and had handed the General a piece of parchment with a message from Emperor Yoshiro. While Octavius could not deny the good sense of the Emperor’s suggestion, he was loathe to begin sending out members of his Corps this early after being rejoined. On the other hand, he had been hearing through the grapevine about one of his Captains. It seemed Ayero Shiba had been displaying some… unusual behavior, of late. Word had begun to spread about the treasure job with the famous Pirate Queen, Madame Trixie, along with tales of how many casualties the adventure had cost the infamous Queen of the Seas.

Octavius had asked Ayero to stop by, concerned about her state of mind, but also to see how she felt about the proposal from Kou. Sly had been on the fence about the suggestion, fearing the motives behind it. As much as everyone wanted to trust Yoshiro, this would be an unprecedented step to help unify their countries and hopefully begin healing the scars of the conflict. Octavius looked up as Sly knocked on the door, letting him know Ayero would be in shortly. The General nodded at his Second-in-Command, a sign to show the Captain into his office. H waved a hand to the man from Kou, dismissing him.

“I will contact you shortly with my answer.”

The man from Kou gave a deep bow before disappearing out the door, understanding the General needed to think on the proposal.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Ayero followed Sly to Octavius’ door, giving a nod of thanks to the older Fanalis before entering. ”You wanted to see me, Sir?” The young woman stood with her arms clasped behind her back, shoulders back and posture straight. It had been a few weeks since her return from the Shrouded Isle and she was still struggling to come to terms with the events that had transpired. Lately she had been able to push past her own emotional turmoil in order to resume her position as Colonel, feeling guilty for shirking her responsibilities.

But the wear of pushing her own problems into the background began to show on the woman’s face, her skin sallow and bags beginning to form under her eyes from sleepless nights. Still, she managed to stand proud and tall before the general.

──────────────────────────────────────────────

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Octavius gave Ayero a warm smile as she walked in, immediately taking note of her posture and expression. The half-Fanalis nearly dazzled with pride and strength. But he could see fatigue there, as well as something almost haunting in her eyes. He knew that look, it was one of loss. He moved over to clasp her forearm in a warrior’s shake before leaning back against his desk.

“Yes. I had something I wanted to run past you. But first, how are you doing?”

He would listen with a caring ear to her response before sighing softly and holding out the parchment for her to read, the one brought by the man from Kou.

“Emperor Yoshiro has a proposition for us, something to show unity between our countries… a show of peace, I suppose. I am conflicted about it. He would like to begin a type of ‘military exchange’. He feels that by having some of our higher ranking members train with the other troops, it would be a chance to try and smooth over some of the scars from the conflict. It would also be a show of transparency… they cannot hide plans, if one of our own is among them, and vice versa. What are your thoughts on the matter, Colonel?”

He watched her closely for her response, trying to decipher if she was hiding anything and if her decision was based on military tactics and the good of the country or if her decision would be based from a place of emotion, from the wellspring of rage all Fanalis contend with.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Ayero mentally tensed, figuring that Octavius noticed her fatigue written onto her face. ”Re-adjusting to life back on land, General. I should be fine shortly.” Her tone was polite but somewhat curt, meaning no disrespect but not wanting to discuss her current state. Thankfully Octavius moved on to the reason he had called her to his office. She took the parchment with a quirked brow and unfurled the paper, glancing over the message while Octavius spoke.

Her eyes narrowed and she remained silent after he finished, still scanning the document before lowering the paper and looking up at the General. ”This is…unexpected. We’ve no guarantee that this is not a trap of some sort, but Kou has been fairly…reasonable as of late.” She pauses to bring a hand to her chin in thought, tucking the parchment under her arm. The young woman brought to mind the new emperor, certain that the change in the empire’s conduct could be credited to him at least partially. While this exchange may be well intentioned, she still had her reservations.

”Even if there is no trick or trap, that new emperor’s rule is still young. Do we know how stable Kou is? It could be dangerous, sending Reim officials into a country that could potentially be hostile.” Closing her eyes, Ayero hummed in thought. She would not try to hide her distaste for the eastern country, but she tried not to let it influence her words. There was a difference between hate for a country and genuine concern based on what she knew—though most of what she learned of Kou was through war. Just the mere thought of those bloodied battlefields made her blood boil, but she put a lid on her temper before it could get out of control, instead focusing her energy on the task at hand.

Ayero let out a light sigh, shoulders relaxing slightly before opening her eyes and standing straight again as she refocused on Octavius. ”But…if it’s as you say, then it might be a good opportunity to build our relationship with Kou. If they want the same, let them show us that their intentions are sincere.” Clearing her throat, Ayero realized she was still holding the parchment and hurriedly handed it back to Octavius. ”Ahem…that is what I think, Sir. I apologize if I said anything out of line.”

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Octavius arched a brow at the words of his Colonel, impressed with the restraint she showed. He could sense the simmering anger behind her calm demeanor, but he did not call her out on it. He had his own anger towards the country that had destroyed his own. When she held out the paper, he took it back with a small smile.

“Very professional and astute assessment of the situation, Colonel Shiba. You came to the same conclusion I did. Yes, it is still quite early in Emperor Yoshiro’s rule, but that may be a good thing. It will help his country to see he is earnest in his intentions of peace, as well as the rest of the world.”

Octavius set the paper on the desk behind him, rubbing his chin as he looked over one of the people he had entrusted the care of his ranks to. It was obvious the woman needed something and he suspected it was a distraction from whatever drama had happened in her life. Sometimes space gave a person perspective and peace. Normally, he would send Sly, as he knew the man could handle any treachery which may be afoot, but Sly had enough to deal with here in Remano.

“What would you think about going over to represent the Fanalis Corp? I would send a few of our more promising trainees with you, but not many. If it is a trap, I trust you to handle yourself and it would be good to have them see it firsthand. If it is not, the change of scenery and exposure to a different military structure would be a good learning experience, for everyone involved. If you do not wish to go, I would have no issue sending someone else…”

He would wait for her response, not wanting her to feel pressured to take on the assignment just to do her duty. If she had no interest in going, he would find another person interested.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
A feeling of pride bubbled up in Ayero’s stomach at Octavius’ praise, pleased that he had complimented her analytical abilities. But that feeling soon turned sour when the General asked what she should have anticipated—if she would like to participate in the exchange. The younger Fanalis fought back a scowl, her lips thinning out into a hard line as she thought the offer over intently. Her knee-jerk reaction was to refuse, but she could not outright reject Octavius without giving the exchange some consideration.

Kou…that country has caused us nothing but pain. But…this could be good opportunity for Reim. Am I really the right person for the job? Octavius thinks you are, you shouldn’t let him down. A change from the routine would be good, too. This seems pretty important. A flurry of thoughts ran through the woman’s mind. Distaste for the eastern country, pride at having been selected, a craving for Octavius’ approval, and anxiety over such a diplomatic mission. She’d be acting as more than a military officer, she’d be a representative of Reim.

”I would be honored to accept this task, General Octavius.” Ayero stood with her shoulders back, fist against her chest in a salute. Her heart began to palpitate from the thought of traveling to Kou, simultaneously excited and nervous.

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Octavius smiled when Ayero accepted the position. He knew she was not particularly fond of the Kou people, not many Reim citizens were, but she looked beyond that to the good of the country. He hoped she would be able to view this opportunity with a critical eye but still be able to get some good from this. His voice was supportive when he spoke again.

“While some of their military decision in the past years are something I do not agree with, they are trying to make changes. Honestly, the Kou military is one of the best in the world, though. I would not want to implement some of their ideals, but I think you could gain a broader understanding of military leadership by doing this. It will also help you to understand why they are feared so much. And perhaps, you can teach them a few things about what a less strict regime can do.”

Octavius turned back to the desk, leaning over it to scribble out a message that he would have Sly deliver later, letting Yoshiro know he would take part in the military exchange.

“While you are over there, we will be hosting a few of their higher ranking men. They will be cycling through our different branches. When you arrive, you will report directly to Yoshiro for your individual assignment. Also, I am sure you have heard of the Ambassador from Kou, Azix Niraj. He has also been recalled for a short period. Perhaps you could speak with him about traveling together. I will be sending a few members in training a bit after you leave. This will give you a chance to get settled and to get a grasp on things before they arrive, so it will not be the blind leading the blind over there. And with Azix there, you should have at least one trustworthy ally in what might be a den of vipers.”

Octavius approached Ayero, resting a hand on her shoulder with a proud look on his face.

“You will do well, Colonel Shiba. You have my trust and my support. If at any time you are afraid it is a trap, please send word and come home as soon as you can. I trust this new Emperor, but that does not mean his entire country supports his new vision. Make sure you keep a careful eye not just on his motivations, but on those that may try to overthrow him for his peaceful ways. Be able to discern between a threat from Kou, as a country, and a threat from a small sect of unhappy people. Every country has their own internal politics, this will also be a good way for you to observe that not all changes are easily made.”

He paused, leaving it open for her to ask questions if she had any.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Ayero was simultaneously surprised and relieved when Octavius seemed to know what she was thinking, and spoke accordingly to ease her anxieties about traveling to Kou. A curious light sparked in her eyes when he mentioned that Azix would be returning to Kou around the same time. This is certainly good. Azix is a native, he can teach me what to do and how to act. Maybe he’ll be able to help me understand the culture of Kou more. A sudden squeamish look twisted in her stomach, catching her off guard and reflecting briefly on her face. As far as she knew, Azix didn’t know about Ariella’s fate. Ayero didn’t wish to seek him out to tell him the news, too scared and torn up to approach the orange magician. I hope Trixie will take care of that. I feel like a bad friend.

At Octavius’ closing words, Ayero couldn’t help but give him a smile. A tired one, but a genuine smile nonetheless. ”Thank you for trusting me with this opportunity, General Octavius. I will do my utmost to bring pride to the Fanalis Corps and Reim.” The man’s words were comforting, and she found herself gradually becoming excited at the prospect of going to an entirely new country. Kou was the most militaristically powerful country at present day, hopefully she could learn from them while helping to forge a new, more trusting relationship between the two empires.

Solomon's Proxy

Solomon's Proxy
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Octavius chuckled and patted her shoulder.

“You have already done the Corps proud, Shiba, and Reim. Now go… learn what you can from those Kou vipers and maybe show them what a crimson fang can do. May you find the peace you need to heal, in the meantime.”

He reached out to grasp her forearm in farewell before turning back to his desk. He was certain she would do well in Kou. When they weren’t busy trying to invade other countries, it was easy to look fondly on the beautiful country. Far less brash than the culture around Reim, Kou was known for its delicate culture and gorgeous scenery. If anything could help the Colonel find the peace she needed, it would be there. He smiled and waved Ayero away, already organizing who he would send over after she had arrived. Hopefully in the time she had before they arrived, she would be in a better state of mind.

10Military Exchange [Private/Ayero] Empty Re: Military Exchange [Private/Ayero] on 27/06/15, 07:36 pm

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier
Ayero stood at attention, saluting the General before offering him another smile and excusing herself. She didn’t know what to expect when Octavius had requested to see her, but never would she have thought that it would be something like this. As she made her way back to her home, her mind was working a mile a minute, trying to process what had just happened. She’d be going to Kou, as part of a military exchange....Kou, a country that they had recently been entrenched in a bloody war with. While she had hopes for the future—and it appeared that Kou did as well—she had just as many worries, too. So many things could go wrong, but Octavius was right in that this would be a good opportunity for not only herself and the Fanalis Corps, but for Reim as a country as well.

[Exit]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum