Repelling the Assault [Job/Azix & Garret]

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Job Details:

Garret exited the building with Zheng Longwei in the lead. The young recruit, looking anything but young, lead them to the courtyard. Garret took note that the walls held various guards with spears in their hands and long swords strapped to their belts looking out at something that was beyond the walls. Many other recruits were milling about in the center as well, speaking amongst themselves.

It looked like Kawahara Akiho, one of the instructors for the recruits, was watching over them and making sure they stayed safe. Garret looked to Azix briefly, frowning while thinking as quickly as he could about what he wanted to do. He began to scan the group again, looking for other members of leadership. Of the group, he spotted Acius Maximus and Marinus Nerva. Garret spoke loudly, calling over to the Lieutenant. "ACIUS! Provide me a report on the situation!"

Acius came jogging over to Garret and Azix as Zheng Longwei ran back to the recruits. Shaking his head, Acius spoke with an incredulous tone to his voice. "No idea who these guys are, but there is a large attack force heading our way. They've begun fanning out and are attempting to surround us. The count has reached around fifty to sixty in total."

Garret frowned again, looking at their guards. They had four on each wall. The opponent could choose which wall to focus on based on how many opponents they saw on the walls. He smiled, slyly. "Azix, I'm going to entrust one of the walls to you. Take thirteen of the recruits, but instruct most of them to crawl up the stairs. It's important for them to not be seen by the enemy, though I would like three or so to be seen by these invaders. If you have an opportunity to take a prisoner, do so. We need to find out who they are and why they are attacking us. Make it the north wall, please."

He turned to Acius, who already knew what Garret was thinking. Before Garret could make a suggestion, he spoke up. "I'll take five recruits to the east wall, and have Marinus take five to the west wall, then? Assuming you want the south wall, that is."

Garret raised an eyebrow to the man. "Yes, that is similar to what I had planned. We'll go with that, and I'll take seven to the south wall. Get things moving, Lieutenant." Garret clasped his hands briefly, and looked to Azix. "Are you ready to take the brunt of the attack, if they fall for our ruse?

OOC:

646/1500 Word Count

──────────────────────────────────────────────

Azix Niraj

Azix Niraj
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

The courtyard was buzzing with activity, Azix recognized a few of the recruits faces that stood in the center. He noticed the guards on each of the walls, spears held out at the ready. Garret sprung to the ready, calling for Acius to report. Azix listened as he was informed that a large force was surrounding the Villa in preparation for an attack. Garret asked him to take thirteen recruits and hold the North wall, making sure they moved unseen.

Azix looked around and realized that the bandits had to decide which tactic they wanted to use. Did they scale up the least defended wall or did they split their forces for every wall. If each wall looked barely manned, they would be more tempted to split their forces. With a nod to Garret to show he understood, Azix slid his staff from the hook on his belt. "I'll hold them off with my life if I take the brunt of the attack."

Turning to the mass of recruits, Azix cleared his throat to get their attention. "I need thirteen volunteers with me." He pointed to the North wall. "We will hold back the attackers from that position. Follow me."

Thirteen recruits split off from the main group and followed behind him. As they approached, Azix looked over his group. He recognized two of them from the group of recruits when he had arrived at the villa. The girl who had thrown up when Azix played a prank involving poo stood close to a girl who looked like her sister. Azix briefly wondered why they followed him after such a poor introduction, surely such jests didn't invoke confidence in one's abilities. Shrugging it off, Azix held up a hand, motioning them to wait.

In a tone barely above a whisper, "I am going to use a spell to make me invisible before we go up those stairs. Three of you will need to reveal yourselves as we go up there, but the rest should crawl, making sure to go unseen. Keep low until they start climbing over the walls. Remember your training, if you get overwhelmed shout out my name. I will clear an opening for you."

After making sure the recruits understood, Azix began walking up the stairs. Orange Rukh fluttered around him before he Vanished from sight. Once he was at the top of the stairs, Azix looked back to see that the recruits had followed his instructions. Wu Xeifeng, Wu Meixiu, and a boy he didn't recognize made themselves known atop the wall while the others hid.

Azix looked down from the wall to see a mass of fifteen men climbing up the walls. Their insignia caught his eye though, it was extremely familiar, a Black Crow on a banner of white. Azix clenched his teeth, the Black Crows were a bandit group he had given to Madam Trixie, the Pirate Queen. What were they doing here? Azix had heard that Trixie had lost control of them, but he hadn't expected to see the Black Crows again.

Focusing back to the task at hand, Azix glanced back to the recruits. Some of them displayed nervousness openly, others hid it behind a battle-ready face. It reminded him of the first mission Azix had taken his Grumptoes on, though he had kept the boys from direct danger. This time he was counting on these recruits to have enough combat training to defend themselves.

Wu Xeifeng and Wu Meixiu acted fast, cutting down rappel ropes as bandits tried to climb up them. The boy froze up at seeing so many attackers coming up the walls. Azix put a hand on the boy's shoulder, starting the young lad, "The more ropes you cut, the less we have to deal with." Azix's tone was encouraging, hoping it would spur the lad into action.

Thankfully Azix's words worked, the boy ran up beside Wu Xeifeng and helped them cut ropes. In the end, two groups were able to make it up on the wall. To the left, six bandits stood, leering at the two sisters before realizing there were ten others recruits huddling behind the low wall. The recruits sprang up and went to work at holding the bandits off.

Azix turned to the right where a Black Crows General and three Black Crows bandits stood. The General began barking out orders to pincer attack the recruits, but Azix wouldn't let that happen. Whispering commands to the Rukh, Azix conjured his Light Sphere spell. A five meter sphere of orange light formed in front of him, surprising the bandits. Not expecting a spell to appear out of thin air, their hesitation was advantageous for Azix.

With a flick of his staff, Azix sent the Light Sphere forward into the three Black Crow bandits. Their clothes would melt into their skin and sizzle, leaving behind second degree burns from the attack. The bandits scream of pain would pierce the night air, chilling the hearts of the other bandits attacking the recruits. Azix spared a glance back to see how the recruits were doing.

Wu Xeifeng and Wu Meixiu stood back to back, fighting off bandits. The boy who had frozen up earlier, leaped over the two, dropped to his feet and swept a bandit off his feet. The bandit stumbled forward into Meixiu's path. The Kouen girl grabbed the bandit and threw him off the wall with a move that spoke of honed practice. Azix smiled, their teamwork was admirable.

Turning his attention back to his own targets, Azix watched as the Black Crow General stepped over his burning comrades, searching for the magician. "Coward! Reveal yourself!" The General held his General's Blade tight in his right hand, with an air of combat experience enveloped around him.

Not wanting to seem a coward, Azix released the Vanish spell from around himself, to reveal himself to the Black Crows General. The General sneered at the orange magician, "That was quite a trick, but I won't fall so easily."

Azix shrugged his shoulders, "That is hard to believe, Falcon fell quite easily to similar tricks." He smiled at the General's recognition of the former Black Crows leader's name. While it hadn't been Azix alone that killed Falcon, he had taken the credit for it when Madam Trixie asked.

The General's eyes narrowed, "So, you are the bastard who thought to sell us to that cursed pirate Queen? An outsider can never control the Black Crows. I will enjoy killing you." With a speed not expected of a large man, the General charged forward to deliver General's Fury at Azix's midsection.

Azix expected the attack, but not the speed, barely having enough time to conjure his Clear spell. Black Rukh fluttered around him as a film of invisible force formed around him. The force expanded just in time to clash against the General's fury, knocking the General off balance and dissolving the spell.

Astonishment passed over the General's features at meeting a solid force, but recovered quickly. He charged forward again and swung his blade toward Azix's staff arm.

As his Clear spell dissolved, Azix was already conjuring another with hushed whispers to the Rukh. This time he used Black and Orange Rukh in combination to form his Makihige spell. Two seven meter long tendrils constructed from Shadow Magic, formed around Azix. The writhing tendrils were sent towards the General at a flick of his staff, one aimed towards the Black Crow's sword hand and the other at his left leg.

The General wasn't so easy an opponent, he noticed the attack to his sword arm and with a quick motion, utilized General's Shield to deflect the shadow tendril. The other tendril still made its mark, piercing into the soft flesh of his upper-left leg, cutting through the skin and partway into the muscle. The General wobbled for a moment before redistributing his weight to steady himself.

Azix could feel fatigue seeping into his body from slinging around so many spells, but he couldn't give up now. The General was not the kind of opponent you gave a few seconds to recover. Already, he could see the man calculating his next attack, instinctively gauging Azix's strengths and weaknesses. With such an opponent, you struck hard and fast, hoping to overpower them.

Gathering his will, Azix called orange Rukh around him once more, this time conjuring Piercing Light. A one meter wide beam of light formed in front of his outstretched staff and sped into the General's chest, dealing second degree burns. The General cried out as he felt his skin bubble from the heat.

Ignoring a fresh wave of fatigue, Azix drew on his Shadow Magic once more, this time conjuring Kage Youshiki. Since the last time he used it, Azix had an idea. Instead of using fifteen tendrils to make attacks, Azix had come up with a different way of utilizing it. A thirty-six centimeter mass of shadows formed in front of him. From the mass, two shadow tendrils grew to nearly seven meters in length. The mass of shadows was directed behind the General where the tendrils would launch forward, piercing into his arms.

The General had been distracted from the Piercing Light so much he didn't notice the second spell until it attacked him. Kage Youshiki's tendrils jarred his arms, knocking the General's Blade from his hands as he fell to the ground. Azix walked over to the general and kicked the sword off the wall into the yard below.

Turning back to his recruits, he watched as Wu Xeifeng performed a judo throw on the last bandit, sending him into her sister Meixiu. Wu Meixiu timed an uppercut on the man's chin when he was in range. A sickening crack could be heard as the man's neck broke.

Azix whistled to the recruits as they looked around, "I need ropes to bind this man up. He will need to be questioned for information." Two of the recruits ran down the stairs to get the ropes while the others surrounded the general.

Azix looked to the boy who had frozen up earlier, "What is your name?"

"Musashi Shinji, sir." The boy looked unsure if he was going to be scolded.

Azix smiled, "While you froze up, you displayed good teamwork back there. Fear will always be there, but never let it control you. All of you did a great job. Now, check that General's mouth to make sure he's not hiding a pill."

Azix looked to the other walls to see how they had handled their fights.

[1763/1500]

[140/300 magoi]

Spoiler:

Vardreth

Vardreth
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Garret nodded one last time to Azix before taking his own number of recruits with him. Acius had taken Lu Feng and Tseng Qiang, as well as three other recruits. Marinus took Zheng Longwei, Yang Jianjun, Tian Zedong and two other recruits with him. Garret felt sorry for the group that would assault the troubleshooter's wall.

His recruits were a the leftovers of the group. Garret looked over them and simply nodded. "Alright, men, fall in behind me. To the southern wall we go!" He set the pace as a light jog, warming up the joints of the recruits and getting them to the wall quickly. The warmup was likely unnecessary, as their physical training was rigorous and comprehensive, and they were likely already limber from those exercises. They climbed the stairs that led up to the walls and made no move to hide their numbers. This wall was vulnerable in the fact that it was the wall with the gate. While they showed the largest force at this wall, it was not the location that actually had the largest force.

Garret's wall inevitably had the greatest concentration of opponents. It was at this point that Garret realized his recruits had only a small amount of training in the stealth side of things, and there were no archers that could teach them marksmanship. Something Garret would have to think about in the future. At this point in time, he was the only one with ranged capabilities on this wall.

He looked to the guards and then to the recruits as they watched the opponents come forward with a battering ram. I'll need to hire more guards. And I'll need to hire guards with bows. Can our coffers handle the extra soldiers, though? He shook his head. The eternal struggle of there always being more work to be done. Garret pulled out his wand, Kuroi Shimo, and aimed it at the group that had brought a large battering ram with them. A shout was heard from a man many meters out, but it was too late for those manning the battering ram. Garret called out to the Rukh, giving the command for his Ice Explosion and sending a one meter ball out at a high speed. The resulting explosion caused shock-waves of noise to be heard as ten Black Crow Bandits died from the strength of the shards of ice that imparted fatal wounds.

The noise combined with the sight of destruction gave pause to the recruits and guards alike. They looked at Garret, some of which had pale and ashen faces. Garret stared out towards the battlefield, face impassive. He seemed to disregard the lives of those who showed their hostility, which was bone-chilling to the individuals who looked to him. The man showed neither elation nor sadness; his casual demeanor further making it seem as if he did not consider the removal of their lives to be significant. As they could not read his mind, his stoic demeanor made it seem as if he held a similar level of feeling while considering what he would like to drink for his afternoon tea.

In truth, Garret shouldered the weight of those lives. Their deaths were a catalyst for a series of emotions that boiled inside him. While he held no regret for doing what he felt must be done, he knew that many would consider him a murderer. That these men may very well have families they were doing their best to provide for, and that they were doing what they could to make ends meet, was something Garret already knew. Was it fate that made him choose this course of action? No... Not fate, but a choice I made myself. Perhaps it was predetermined that I would make such a choice... Garret looked up to the sky and closed his eyes momentarily, taking a deep breath. He watched below as the group that scattered from below was beginning to re-group. They brought ropes with grapple hooks, it seemed, in order to scale the wall.

Garret shook his head at the futility of it. The men should realize by now that they were outclassed, but something pushed them forward. Perhaps pride, or a need for revenge? A look of melancholy passed the man's face briefly as he mulled over how easy it was for him to take the lives of others. His cold demeanor came from his resolve to protect his charges; from those that headed the various departments in the Villa all the way down to the recruits themselves. He briefly considered the events during the takeover of Reim. Uncountable times had he thought back on that moment of haste when they chose to put Lagi on the throne. It was greed and the desire to learn more about the strange power that man had shown in that fight that lead them to where they were now. The hubris of making that decision was something Garret reflected on, occasionally.

He would protect that which he could. That which was within his grasp. His friends, his agents, the organization and those few citizens he passes by in the streets. Garret grit his teeth together, grinding them. How could I hope to judge a leader of people, when I do not believe I have the qualities myself..? The thought flickered across his mind. An image of the politics that were spoken at the Summit of Lagi's crowning also crossed through Garret's mind.

It was at this point that several grappling hooks found purchase in the walls and various bandits came scaling the walls. The recruits and guards were no longer staring at Garret, who stood there lost in thought. They fought against the bandits, holding the men off and slowly dwindling the number of the opponents; Garret's first spell had demoralized them and forced them to be cautious of the Magician, who seemed to be waiting for something in specific.

Garret's gaze slowly took in the battle before him. Several scenes flashed through Garret's mind as he took in the current state of affairs. Azix's work was similar to Garret's, in that they were both Kou operatives. There was a large difference between the two, however. Garret believed the people were important, but his actions always prioritized the operatives and the mission. Azix? The man did not seem to have ever lost sight of what was truly important. From the beginning, it looked as if the man was only interested in improving the lives of the citizens. Garret was certain that Azix had come across hurdles and walls. Yet the man had not been broken, and continued to show a level of resolve that Garret could do nothing but respect...

In front of the Magician, without his knowledge, a grappling hook had made its place. Sometime when he was looking at the fight before him a Black Crow General managed to climb over. "You're the bastard that killed my men... I'll make you pay dearly for that!"

The General attacked Garret with his General's Blade, who stood there staring at the man as if he did not quite grasp that a battle was occurring. The emotions that came with the news of his addition to nobility, his feeling of unworthiness for it and his admiration and respect for the level of strength that Azix had shown was mixing in the man. The Black Crow General became upset at this impassive man who didn't seem to take note of the two strikes that were made against his Borg. Letting out a mighty cry of anguish, the Black Crow General sent out a large killing intent towards the Spymaster as he sent forth his General's Fury towards Garret.

The killing intent brought Garret back to his senses, and the Spymaster fell into a routine, blocking the attack with River Styx Style: Redirecting Blows, pushing aside the blade even as Garret attempted a River Styx Style: Crescent Whirlpool crescent kick to the man with his left leg. The Black Crow General brought his shield up, blocking the kick with his General's Shield. Garret frowned, and his arm was immediately covered in Magoi. Widening his eyes, the opponent before Garret knew he was outmatched even as Garret thrust his hand forward, knocking aside the shield and digging directly into the man's chest with his reinforced arm. His hand cupped a beating object within the man's chest cavity. He stared in the man's eyes, who coughed up blood. "No... It was..n't supp..osed to be.. like... thiiisss."

Garret pulled his hand out of the man's chest. Having used River Styx Style: Ikken Hissatsu: Deep Sea Harpoon, the man was no longer an opponent to worry about. He kicked the man over the edge, and looked towards those still in battle. Again, the recruits and guards stared at him as the heart beat its last spurt of blood in his hands. The difference this time was the look on the faces of the Black Crow Bandits, who were completely demoralized at the sight. Garret tossed the heart over the wall to join the one it belonged to.

One by one, the bandits dropped their weapons, surrendering. "Bind them. We'll... Interrogate them later." Garret had a difficult time uttering the word 'interrogate', and said it with a portion of disgust. It looked like things on the other walls were dying down, and many of the leftover enemies were running away. Garret looked to the north wall, and believed things had went well over on that side of things.

If the recruits weren't already somewhat familiar with Garret, they would have been terrified at the sight of the man. As it were, some of them could not look at the Spymaster directly in the face. They were used to seeing the man as a strict leader, but rarely had he ever shown his capabilities, except for the spar against Kawahara Akiho.

Garret made his way back to the courtyard to check up on the others.

OOC:

1675+646 = 2321/1500 word count.

160/300

Abilities and Items:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum