Blades in the Sunlight

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Blades in the Sunlight Empty Blades in the Sunlight 31/08/22, 05:43 pm

Zuzu Mansur

Zuzu Mansur
A-Tier
A-Tier

Job Info:

As the next morning rose, and the Sun took his watch, a second visitor came upon the Parthevian villa. His armour shone blue and silver, gleaming in the sunlight, and his hair matched it with an unusual white streak. He was dressed in full plate despite the heat and desert winds, but he seemed to cast that aside as though his armour was defence against Sun itself.

As he rode towards the excavation entrance, where Toad and Ash took their break, this visitor called out with a loud and clear voice, 'I am here for the lady Zubaidah!' In response, half amused and half interested, the Hashashin foreman of the excavation met him outside and greeted him with this, 'I’m afraid the mistress is busy with excavation work at the moment. Could we help you instead, sir? Do you want a message given to the mistress?'

'Tell her that Ivoire the White Comet has come for her!'

---

After some but long-feeling minutes, Zubaidah emerged from her tent with Naimes, spear in hand. 'I hear that someone is here for me? I am uncertain whether that should be taken as a threat or an invitation. Well, I do hope that it’s not a threat.' Seeing her arrive, Ivoire dismounted without delay and came face to face. 'Dash those hopes then, milady!'

'I am here to right the wrongs you committed against Sasan!' She sidled towards him, coming too close for comfort, and smiled with sly words, ‘You will have to be more specific, dear.'

'You have wronged one of Sasan’s princes, and my master! As such, in accordance with Sassanid law, I challenge you! We shall fight against one another, and the winner shall do as they will with the loser!'

I’m guessing that I can’t refuse?' 'If you refuse, you will be deemed the loser by default.' ‘And then what?' 'I shall kill you where you stand without delay.'

'You do realise that, with all the Hashashins here, you could just give the order and he’d be dead in the blink of an eye?' Although he spoke this quietly, the Hashashin foreman made sure that Naimes and Ivoire could hear this fully. ‘That’s hardly fair, is it? He came all the way here for a fight, so a fight he shall get. He’s been so polite, so I think that’s the fairest thing to do!'

'Have you made your mind, milady?' ‘Indeed, and I accept your challenge!' 'Bravo! Let us establish the ground-rules then!'

'The following are forbidden: magic weapons, lethal weapons and outside interference!' ‘You mean for a non-lethal fight?'

'I aim for a fair duel, milady, not just some fight. A duel should test one’s skill, and lethality might eschew skill for savagery. It would not be fair if one could not show their skill because one’s weapon has made them savage, would it?'

I understand somewhat. This must be your so-called chivalric code?' 'I was unaware that chivalry was known in the world outside Sasan.'

There are similar warrior codes, for sure, but I was informed by a Sassanid knight. He said that the chivalric code was made so that conflicts were contained with the knights alone, and harm minimised elsewhere. I admire that you have adhered where others have forgotten, dear sir.'

'I am bound to the chivalric code, milady, for it would shame my liege if savagery took over my sword.' ‘In that case, I trust that our duel shall be fair.'

I will oversee the proceedings then.' Quiet until now, Naimes looked between Zubaidah and stout-hearted Ivoire. ‘It seems fitting enough that a knight of Sasan should oversee a Sassanid’s duel.'

Do you approve?' She looked slow and sure into Ivoire's eyes, meaning to reassure him that Naimes would not be biased in Zubaidah's own favour. 'I shall indeed approve, for a knight of Sasan’s priesthood would be more than fitting - and impartial as well.'

Take your positions then and ready yourselves!'

---

After the Toads had fitted each challenger with soft covers for their blades, as advised by Naimes, Ivoire and Zubaidah were ushered into a temporary duel-ring outside the excavation site. ‘Here are the rules:' He signalled for the two challengers to move into position, whilst the onlooking workers began to form a circle around the duel-ring. ‘One wins when they reach three hits on their opponent. All hits must be non-lethal, hence your weapons have been covered. On each hit, you will move one metre from that position and wait until I signal to start once more.'

Are you both clear?' There was a small pause before the two noodled in tandem. ‘Then we shall start once my count reaches zero!'

Three!'

Two!'

One!'

As soon as he said ‘Zero!', Zubaidah brought her spearpoint into restless motion, in stark contrast to Ivoire’s continued stillness, and traced circles in the desert wind. Then she stepped forward, blade swinging in a mock offense, an experimental feint. Seeing this, Ivoire launched straight into his own offensive. A swipe to the left; she parried. A slash to the right; she side-stepped. With every attack, Ivoire was countered by restless Zubaidah. As he continued his offence, however, Zubaidah teased her spear around his sword until blade and hilt met, caressing his fingers with the spear-tip.

Halt!'

Amidst wild shouting from the Toad onlookers, they both backed off and took position three metres away from one another. You move unlike anyone I have fought!' ‘You move to rhythms I am more than familiar with.' 'Then all I need to do is change how I move!' As whoops and cheers sounded for both sides, Naimes readied the two challengers for the second round.

Begin!'

Ivoire prowled sideways and attacked, pushing aside his opponent’s guard. Zubaidah barely warded him off with tight defences, then disengaged and backed off. He took advantage of her retreat by barreling towards her in frantic motion - and rushed forwards with a Fleche.

Halt!'

He had taken her comment to heart, it seemed, changing straightaway from stillness into motion. Indeed, it now seemed his sword was all that was motionless, held still before himself as his one defence. But was that comment good for him or her?

Begin!'

Quickly closing the distance, for he intended to carry the momentum of his previous hit, Ivoire’s offence would become more ferocious. Zubaidah matched his movements in response, weaving around his body with light feet, and tired him as his focus kept shifting. Once he was distracted away from her blade, she darted forwards with a flashing Abrupt Thrust towards his shoulder.

Halt!'

Did you advise me to change my movements as some tactic?’ ‘I never advised that you should change them - just pointed something out.' ‘Hmm, that would seem true, and thus it seems my fault for listening. Well, let me cease from my attempts at outwitting you then, failed as they have, for rhythm and movement seem where you are most skilled. Instead, I shall come at you with all my skill in the sword!

Begin!'

Ivoire wasted no time, drawing his sword with intense focus, charging towards Zubaidah. She twirled her spear around, rotating it upwards so that the shaft was slanted towards her left shoulder, standing her ground. Ivoire slashed towards her unprotected side, but she slid the shaft towards her right shoulder, his blade bouncing off like summer rain.  As he readied another strike, Zubaidah loosened one hand so that the spearpoint dropped downwards with unexpected speed. Unable to react in time, Ivoire caught her spear with a clumsy blow. Taking this chance, Zubaidah pressed forwards with both hands and broke through his defence, touching his head with a light fwoosh.

Halt!'

Three hits on Ivoire! Zubaidah wins the duel!'

@ tag ● 1291/1000 ● notes

──────────────────────────────────────────────

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum