You are not connected. Please login or register

Swordplay [FanaCorps Training]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Swordplay [FanaCorps Training] Empty Swordplay [FanaCorps Training] 22/11/15, 06:29 pm

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Several days after the dungeon, the small mixed group from Kou and Reim was preparing to leave the island where the dungeon used to exist. The travelers were lucky that they had made it through, especially after being split up. Ayero was tired but not too worse for the wear, and recovered her strength after a good meal and a night’s rest. Hojo, Balsa and Yael however, sustained a decent amount of damage between the three. Their injuries were not life threatening, so they stayed within the immediate area but chose to camp on the land rather than spend the coin for sleeping accommodations.

Hojo had gently reminded Ayero that they had enough funding for this expedition to afford a room in one of the inns, but the Fanalis woman only grunted and wave him off. ”You can stay in one of those if you want.” She acted like she didn’t care either way, but she appreciated the man for choosing to camp with the rest of them. Inwardly, she wondered how used he was to camping outside.

After two full days of rest, the group would head out across the plains on carpet, back towards Kou. The evening before their departure however, Ayero insisted on doing some training. And so, by firelight, Ayero attempted to teach Yael swordplay.

The taller Fanalis grasped the weapon awkwardly, using heavy force behind her moves that often left her unbalanced. As much as she favored swords, this brought Ayero to the realization that she hadn’t taught anyone to fight with swords. Sure, she had exchanged techniques and abilities with other trained sword handlers, but Yael was a complete novice.

Ayero lowered her blade, deliberately looking Yael up and down, noting the other woman’s posture as she fell back from a strike. She realized that, in a way, it probably wasn’t her place to be doing this. My job was to acclimate new recruits to the Corps and teach them the basics of fighting. Should I be moving onto weapons just yet? Many new recruits hadn’t been taught how to use their strength properly, and underwent the proper training to harness that strength and use it properly. Yael was doing well enough with that, and Ayero thought she was ready to handle a weapon. At one time, at least.

Yael suddenly tensed, and Ayero’s gaze shot back up to the woman’s face. In an instant, she was charging toward her opponent, but Ayero was ready. The swifter of the two, Ayero dodged jab after heavy jab, maneuvering herself around Yael until she found an opening. In one fluid motion, Ayero brought her arm up and dug her elbow in Yael’s rib cage, knocking the other woman to the ground. Yael grunted as she fell on the hard ground, the sword clattering out of her grip. In lieu of a traditional wooden training sword, she had borrowed one of Ayero’s steel blades.

”You don’t have experience with any weapons, do you?” Ayero arched a brow as Yael shook off the blow and gathered up the sword before rising. Ayero took note of how quickly she recovered from the elbow to her midsection.

”Nothin’ except for my fists, Colonel.” Ayero hummed quietly in thought, glancing over to the two Kouens who sat by the fire. They were a bit of a way’s away, but Ayero didn’t want to go too far away from the fire’s light. Balsa was sharpening her spear and glancing upward every so often at the sound of grunts and clashing metal, but Hojo seemed to be fixated on the two women. Everything about his posture indicated that he was simply a polite spectator, but Ayero wouldn’t have minded much if he decided to interject. The man was always graceful with his words.

”We’ll start with posture.” Ayero showed Yael how to properly space her feet, where her arms should be and what muscles to flex in her back and core. Once she had gotten that, Ayero began to introduce basic moves. ”A parry is not a block. Instead of absorbing the force of your opponent’s attack, you redirect it. It’s similar to doing it with your arm in hand to hand combat. Here, come at me.” After redirecting some of Yael’s strikes, Ayero let the other woman practice her own parries. She was careful to use basic movements when attacking, nothing too tricky as she wanted Yael to understand how to perform the basic movement. As with most things, simplicity and repetition was key to learning the basics.

”Now, I want you to focus on the amount of force you exert.” When Yael raised a brow, Ayero explained further. ”As Fanalis, we have more…brutish tendencies.” We’re very strong, but that can also be our downfall in combat with a skilled opponent. Do you know how I was able to knock you down so easily before?” Ayero paused, absorbing the questioning look from her student before continuing. ”You’re easy to read, and put too much of your strength into your blade. So much that you lose your balance.”

”So you’re saying that I need to hold back?” Yael questioned, a hint of skepticism in her eyes. ”But won’t putting less force behind the blade make my attacks not as strong?” Ayero rubbed the back of her head, searching for an answer. ”Well…physically, yes. But the blade isn’t so much about physical strength. You also need good technique, and learn to use it as an extension of your body. It may sound strange at first…but just trust me, okay?”

After more practice and a bit of headway, Ayero decided to call it a night. As they headed back to the fire, Hojo rose and greeted them with a small, soft smile. ”A job well done. Yael, would you like to accompany me back into the settlement? We’ve run out of food stock and should purchase some more before the journey.” His gaze wandered up towards Ayero. ”As long as it’s alright with you, Colonel?” Ayero waved him off, too tired and distracted to care much. ”Do as you’d like. I’m going to bed.”

As the pair headed back towards the light of the settlement near Buer, Ayero crawled into her tent. Her mind was not on the behavior of her comrades, but more on Reim, her family and Eligos…

[1057/1000]

──────────────────────────────────────────────

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum