You are not connected. Please login or register

Bow and Arrow [Private/Lexiara]

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bow and Arrow [Private/Lexiara] Empty Bow and Arrow [Private/Lexiara] 25/10/15, 06:16 pm

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Another week or so of flying and their food reserves began to dry up, prompting the small group of adventures to once again descend onto the plains in order to gather food and water. Balsa had offered to hunt this time, but Ayero politely declined. She didn’t know of the other woman’s skill in hunting wild game, but that wasn’t really the reason. In truth, the Fanalis had grown bored sitting atop the carpet with little to do but think and make small talk with her companions. None of them were particularly chatty or familiar with each other.

Nocking another arrow onto her bow, Ayero crept as low to the ground as she could, keeping her bow and arrow pointed downward. Hunting in the plains was far different from hunting in the mountains. Here, there were less places for both prey and predator to hide, which brought some difficulties. Unfortunately, Ayero hadn’t developed a good strategy for hunting in a more open area and came up empty handed after nearly two hours of hunting.

The young woman sighed and tugged at the cloth she had wrapped around her head to conceal her crimson hair while hunting. The thing was terribly itchy and in a fit of frustration, she tore it off. Red wave billowed freely down her back as she ran her hands through them, taming the messy strands. Sighing in irritation, Ayero took a swig of water from the skin hanging at her side. She had to think of a better plan, find some way to get food…

The unmistakable sound of human chatter tickled her ears and she turned her head so fast that some of the water spilled down onto her chest. She glanced down in annoyance for only a moment before turning her entire body toward the source of the sound. In the far distance she could barely see what looked like…some sort of tents? And something was moving about them…people? A jolt of excitement ran through her and she tied the water skin shut and began heading toward the sounds of people.

I haven’t run into a tribe on the plains in a long time…I hope they’re friendly. And have food I can trade for. Anything, really. Even if they can give me a few hunting pointers. The closer she came to them, the slower she walked. Save for a few tribes, most people of the plains did not seek hostile interaction and only wanted to live peacefully. Ayero had left her shield and one of her blades with her companions on the carpet, but the Fanalis woman was still armed and somewhat dangerous looking. Squinting, Ayero shielded her eyes from the sun with one hand and tried to make out the people in more detail. Are those…tails?

──────────────────────────────────────────────

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Lexi had taken Nymeria with her on the hunting group’s latest trip out, the nearly silent infant never causing them to lose so much as a single kill, at least not yet. The group of four hunters were on their way back to the settlement, two carrying two large deer between them, when Lexi caught a splash of red hair in the distance and tensed. Aside from Nymeria, no one in the settlement had that particular shade of red hair, most commonly reserved for those of the Fanalis bloodline. While this made her feel a bit safer, Lexi was still tense, it would not be the first time a decoy had been used. She gave a small signal to the team she was with for them to continue on to the village while she investigated the stranger. The rest of the team gave a nod of understanding while Nymeria peeked over her mother’s shoulder curiously. She could feel the tension in her mother’s body and was curious as to the source of the tension.

Lexi’s hand remained tense on her bow as she neared the stranger, Nymeria giving a happy gurgle from her back. When she was finally close enough to decipher the person’s face, Lexi’s face immediately broke out into a broad smile. It had been a long time since Heliohapt, and most of it she wanted to forget, but she could not forget the kind, gruff nature of Ayero, the Fanalis woman who had helped her on several jobs. Lexi waved brightly at the familiar woman, shouting out a greeting.

“Ayero? What brings your pretty red hair to my neck of the woods?!?!?”

Nymeria gurgled and cooed from over her shoulder, waving her hands excitedly at the release of tension from her mother’s body. It was about as vocal as the child got, the girl just over a year old now and able to take wobbling steps but her vocabulary had not extended beyond a few happy noises or a grunt or two. She still managed to communicate her mood and desires for the most part and now she simply appeared to be trying to make herself part of the happy greeting.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Crimson eyes narrowed as she noticed one of the people approaching her with caution, a bow clutched in their hands as the two slowly moved closer. Ayero’s hand tensed on her own bow but she did not raise it, hoping to avoid an unfriendly confrontation. She’s quite small…and is that a child on her back? Ayero’s eyes roved over the other woman’s form, sizing her up in case they clashed. Of course size meant nothing when it came to wielding a bow, and the approaching person was likely to outclass her in archery.

The Fanalis’s eyes lit up in recognition at about the same time Lexi seemed to recognize her, and Ayero shook her head in disbelief as she lowered her bow. ”Lexi, it’s been a while…several years since Heliohapt?” She lowered the bow as she spoke, returning it to the quiver on her back. Her muscles slowly began to relax, but hints of tension were still present in her posture. She was about to answer Lexi’s question when the child on her back gurgled her own happy greeting.

Arching a surprised brow, a faint smile twinged Ayero’s lips. ”Lexi, I didn’t know you were a mother. And to a child with Fanalis blood, no less.” The red hair was unmistakable to her, and she briefly wondered who had fathered the child before blinking the question from her eyes in favor of answering Lexi.

”I’m traveling with a small group to explore the dungeon, Buer. We’re low on food, so I’m trying to hunt…unfortunately I don’t have much experience hunting game here, so I’m having a little trouble.” Somewhat embarrassed, she rubbed the back of her neck. ”Do you think you’d be able to help me? I don’t know if you use coin, but I have furs that I can trade with. If you can’t use them, perhaps you can give me a few tips for hunting on the plains? Either way, I’d like to hear what you’ve been up to, if you don’t mind.”

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Lexi chuckled at the Fanalis woman’s admitted ignorance on how to hunt in this particular part of the Plains. It was true, the wildlife was far less vulnerable than in other areas and could prove to be quite the troublesome prey.

“I would be happy to take you out on a hunting expedition, along with your group. Meanwhile, let’s get everyone into the settlement and fed while you and I catch up.”

She gave a distinctive whistle that traveled through the settlement and a few scouts appeared as though from nowhere while the hunters she had been with made their way to prepare their kills. When Nymeria gurgled happily on her back, Lexi ruffled the child’s hair.

“Ah, this is Nymeria. She is the result of a drunken evening just before departing Heliohapt with a rather handsome man who was just as drunk as I was. The next morning, we parted ways and I have not seen him since. But he left me with this precious little bundle of joy. Nymeria, this is Ayero, one of mommy’s friends.”

Nymeria cooed and waved her tiny fists wildly as they walked into the settlement, the villagers all busy either helping to clean the recent kill or preparing for their upcoming migration.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Some of the perpetual tension dropped from Ayero’s shoulders when Lexi agreed to help her, and a light yet gracious smile crossed her face. ”Thank you for helping me, Lexi.” As the moved into the settlement, Ayero couldn’t help but gaze at the people she saw with curiosity. Lexi was the first person she’d known with animal features, and now she was seeing an entire tribe’s worth. Her friends Ariella and Merrze both had cat-like tails, but those were gained through magic. As far as she knew, Lexi and her people were born with their animal attributes.

Ayero turned her attention toward the baby on Lexi’s back, unable to hold back a soft smile from the little girl. While the brief insight into the child’s conception made her pause, Lexi seemed to be doing well, the child looking healthy and happy. ”It’s nice to meet you, Little Nymeria.” Though she felt the urge to reach out and brush her hand against the child’s cheek, something her own mother often did to her children, she held herself back for now.

”Fanalis children can be a handful. Are you having any trouble with her strength yet?” The question was asked in a light, curious tone as she inspected the child’s bright red hair. She wondered if the baby would have more human or Fanalis traits in her, but only time would tell. ”Some of my brothers and sisters turned out more Fanalis than human. A few took after my human father more, though.” Images of rowdy Fanalis children swarming her father flashed through her mind, almost causing her to chuckle.

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Lexi chuckled at Ayero’s question, her steps directing the Fanalis woman to the hut she shared with Shana. The other woman’s children greeted her with familiarity before perking up at seeing a new person, immediately clamoring around, their ears twitching as their tails flicked back and forth. Shana saw how relaxed Lexi was and trusted the woman’s judgement, her own wolf features showing trust and friendliness.

“So far, aside from occasionally tugging a bit too hard of tails or hair, she seems relatively normal, though I am thinking she may have the tribe appearances, she will be getting her father’s strength. From what few drunken memories have filtered through from that night, Neem was quite a bit stronger than the average human.”

Lexi’s memories from that night were still more than fuzzy, but she could recall how strong the Fanalis man had been, along with his conscious effort to keep from hurting her. The memory flittered to the back of her mind as Nymeria gave a happy coo. Lexi chuckled and held the infant out to Ayero to hold, the tiny girl curious about seeing someone with the same color of hair as her even if the ears were missing.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Ayero kept her main focus on Lexi, though her eyes did wander around the camp in curiosity. From what she saw, the tribe seemed to be doing well for itself. As they entered the hut, Ayero’s brows arched and her eyes flared as a jumble of children with animal features ran up to her. I wonder if they’ve ever seen another person with red hair before. From her years traveling on the plains, she’d never encountered this particular tribe of people. It wasn’t surprising, many tribes preferred not to interact with the passing traders and caravans, keeping to themselves instead for their own reasons. Ayero offered a silent nod to the wolf-eared woman before turning back to Lexi and the baby.

She listened intently to Lexi’s response, her face typically stern with concentration. But just when she was about to express her relief at the child’s good behavior, Lexi dropped a bomb. Eyes widened as her brother’s name rang through her head, her posture going instantly stiff and her jaw clenching. Neem…certainly she can’t mean my Neem. But they were in Heliohapt at the same time. And if the child is quarter-Fanalis, that would explain the lack of breaking bones… Ayero reached out with one hand to steady herself on the wall of the hut, feeling her heart beat rapidly and her vision begin to waver.

After a few moments of steadying herself, Ayero looked back toward Nymeria, the little baby cooing and looking at her with curiosity. Letting out a slow breath, a genuine smile curled Ayero’s lips, reaching up to her eyes. She took the child from Lexi when she was offered, naturally setting the child on her hip. It had been a while since she had last held a young child, but her body seemed to remember the right way to do it.

Grasping one of the girl’s tiny hands between her thumb and forefinger gently, Ayero smiled down at her. ”Hello again, Nymeria. I’m your Aunt Ayero.” She brushed her lips across the child’s hand before turning back to Lexi, her face hardening to look a bit more serious. ”Lexi…I hope that my brother did not cause you any harm. He can be quite the brute.”

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Lexi was perplexed at the odd actions of the Fanalis woman and her confusion deepened when she referred to herself as “Aunt” until the other woman spoke to her again. Lexiara’s eyes widened, understanding finally filling her mind. The man she had a drunken fling with had happened to be Ayero’s brother. She gave a soft chuckle, shaking her head, her face brightening up. While she had lost her own family, at least Nymeria still had family out there, true born and bred family, not just people that had adopted her.

“From what I remember of the night, he was fine. I know we both had more than bruises the next day, so worry not. I’ve not seen him since that night, I doubt he even knows he gave me this glorious gift. Do you happen to know where he is? I would love for Nymeria to at least know her father…”

Lexi tried not to get her hopes too high, but it sounded as though Ayero was close to her brother so perhaps the Fanalis had an idea of where to locate her daughter’s father. The villagers were fantastic and Shana had proven herself invaluable, but she still had a hope of her daghter meeting the man who helped create her. But, if nothing else, at least Nymeria could know her aunt.

The small child giggled and cooed, her hands immediately burying in Ayero’s hair and gently tugging, though some of her strength was already coming in. Shana’s two children had taken to chasing each other in circles inside the hut, scampering on all fours, making them appear more like the wolves their animal features tended towards, making Lexi shake her head and grin as Shana finally nabbed the children and settled them down around the fire in the middle of the hut, their bowls of hearty stew already waiting for them. Lexi returned her attention to Ayero and waved to the side of the fire.

“Join us for something to eat, my friend… It seems we have much to catch up on.”

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Ayero’s gaze flickered from the baby to Lexi, watching the other woman carefully as she absorbed her words. Relief etched into her features when Lexi expressed that her brother appeared not to have forced her. She was glad that Lexi had decided to keep the child, as she knew some children borne from drunken encounters were not always wanted. Looking down at Nymeria again, she wondered if there was anyone alive who wouldn’t melt after holding the little bundle of joy.

At Lexi’s question, Ayero’s soft expression hardened a bit. ”I’m afraid I don’t know where he is right now. We were separated after…that day in Heliohapt.” She hesitated, catching Shana’s children in her periphery and chose her words carefully. ”If I do happen to run into him, I will be sure to let him know that he has a daughter.”  

She winced a bit at the sudden tug of unexpected strength, startled but not hurt. Ayero gently worked Nymeria’s hand from her hair, careful to not hurt the baby as she did so. ”You’ll need to be careful in teaching her to control her strength. It’s the most difficult in young children that don’t understand it… Though with less than half blood, I wonder how strong she will turn out.”

At Lexi’s invitation, Ayero nodded and settled herself by the fire, Nymeria in her lap. After taking a few moments to gather her thoughts, Ayero spoke. ”A lot has happened after we last met, Lexi. After leaving Heliohapt, I traveled to Reim and joined the Fanalis Corps, fighting against the Kou invasion. Now that peace is being built between the two nations, I was sent to Kou in order to help foster good relations with their military.” She paused for a moment, fixing Lexi with a curious stare.

”Have you heard of the mysterious towers called dungeons? Inside them, power and wealth will be granted to the one who conquers them. While in Kou, I managed to conquer the dungeon Eligos. And now I am here, as part of a team to investigate the dungeon, Buer.” Ayero finished her story, leaving out the grittier parts of her life. She didn’t find it appropriate to talk about her brother’s enslavement or her family’s murder in front of young children. And yourself, Lexi? What have you been up to, besides making a beautiful child?”

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Lexi listened to her friend speak, her face hardening slightly at the mention of Kou. While the new Emperor had, in fact, improved relations with the people on the Plains, there was still decades of damage to undo from his father’s rule. She did not speak on the matter, though, and continued to listen as Ayero spoke about dungeons, the rumors of the mystical towers had spread across the globe, even traversing across the people of the Plains to fill them with wonder and excitement.

As the Fanalis woman spoke, Shana’s children finished up their dinner and crawled over to their beds for the evening and Nymeria was yawning and reached out for her mother. Lexi smiled at the fox-tailed infant and carefully detangled the girl from her aunt’s hold, bouncing her lightly as the infant began to drift to sleep. She brushed a hand lovingly over Nymeria’s head before looking up at Ayero.

“We have had our own trials and tribulations, but I have taken up hunting, of a less conventional manner.”

She remained quiet on the matter until Nymeria had drifted fully to sleep and rested snugly in her nest of furs. She nodded to Shana, the woman keeping a close eye on the slumbering children as Lexi led Ayero outside of the hut. Their conversation would probably be best continued without the prying ears of children and strangers.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Ayero couldn’t help but arch a brow at Lexi’s words, wondering just how unconventional her choice in game was. Nevertheless, she respected the other woman’s silence and instead watched the little child in her arms as she drifted to sleep. Her niece . That would take some getting used to. With the baby out like a light, Ayero followed Lexi out of the tent, noting how the mood became a bit heavier between the two as they did so.

Away from the children, Ayero began to speak more freely. ”My brother was at the slave auction in Heliohapt. He was freed in the chaos, part of which I participated in…but we were separated and I haven’t heard from him since.” She didn’t know what to think of him fathering a child, but it was in line with the reckless behavior she knew to expect from him. A pause in her thoughts, and she glanced over at Lexi. Not that she was reckless. She seemed to be doing well for herself and providing for her child, but…something about her seemed different. Was it motherhood that had changed her? It had been some time since they had last met, after all.

Turning to Lexi with a somber look in her eyes, Ayero speaks in a low tone. ”Nymeria has an uncle, too. The rest of the family has passed.” Normally this wasn’t something she would reveal so easily, but Lexi was the mother of her niece and she felt it important to let her know. ”Lexi, I would like it if you and Nymeria came to live with me in Remano. I have a good home, plenty of food and shelter too. You’d both be well protected, and Nymeria could receive a good education.”

The Fanalis paused for a moment, letting her words sink in. She was earnest in her intentions, wanting to keep this newly discovered family close and out of harm’s way, lest she lose them. She was speaking from a place and guilt and grief. Drawing in a soft, short breath she continues.

”It seems to me that you are happy here. Forgive me, I mean no disrespect to your way of life. Your tribe seems healthy and you are caring well for your child; I’ve no doubt that you’re a wonderful mother. But I’ve traveled the plains in my younger years, and I know the dangers that they can hold. I want to protect my family, but I understand if you do not wish to come to Remano.”

The offer was spur of the moment, but Ayero wanted nothing more than to keep Nymeria safe. She didn’t doubt Lexi’s abilities to protect her own child, but she had lost enough to feel obligated to do something for the baby.

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Lexi listened with interest to Ayero’s explanation about the last sighting of Neem, not truly concerned with the location of the father of her child. Neem had no way of knowing that their drunken antics had led to and she was doing fine without his assistance, though she would like if Nymeria had more male influence in her life, a true father figure. With Onyx gone, she had no one but fellow villagers. When Ayero mentioned that Nymeria still had an uncle, Lexi paused, her head cocked to the side and when the red haired woman asked her to move to Remano, she froze completely. The rest of the words from the Fanalis woman buzzed by, unimportant because Lexi had not taken insult to the offer in the slightest.

Did she want to leave the only land she had ever truly known to offer her child the safety of the slave-free country of Reim? There was not much holding her to the Plains, after losing her family. She was not close to many of the villagers, aside from Shana and her children. On the other hand, she had a mission in her mind, now, to destroy the slave traders. But that was not a life fit for an infant, she knew that. She turned to Ayero, frowning slightly.

“I am able to love and care for my child here, yes. But… I have taken up hunting something far more dangerous than animals and that is not a life my child needs. I would be honored to have her return to Remano with you, but I have something to finish here. Would it be okay if, instead of me accompanying Nymeria, Shana and her children came with you? Shana cares for Nymeria just as much as I do, and I would rather she and her children were as safe as my own.”

Her face hardened a bit and she sighed before continuing.

“I hunt slave traders now. I need to finish what I started, but this puts Shana and all of the children at risk. After the last attack, there are not many children left and by having them in Remano will actually make it easier for the rest of the villagers to migrate. When I am done with what I began, I will join you and my daughter in Remano. I hate the idea of being separate from her, as she is my last remaining family. But I swore I would make this world a safer place for her and I intend to do just that… not just for her but for the others living here on the Plains. We have no one to protect us from the slavers, Kou and Heliohapt still have enough demand for slaves that we are targeted frequently. If you do take Shana, you would never have to worry about the children being unattended when you have missions, as I am assuming you cannot demand to remain in Remano for all of your assignments. I trust her more than I trust myself even, when it comes to the children. Let’s face it, I am quite young to be a mother… Shana has much more experience and is a wonderful mother.”

She hoped Ayero would accept the minor change to her offer. Lexi fully intended to join them all in Remano, but she wanted to fulfill her promise first.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Ayero watched Lexi closely as she digested the information, keeping silent and giving her time to respond to her offer. When the answer finally came, Ayero felt a release of tension from her shoulders—tension she didn’t know she was holding until her body relaxed. It took her a few moments to absorb Lexi’s explanation, and to mull over bringing Shana and her children to Reim in addition to Nymeria.

Her knee-jerk reaction was to oppose having any additional people beyond Nymeria and Lexi, but if this was Lexi’s condition, then so be it. She was right after all…Ayero’s work did take her away from Remano at times. She’d either have to find someone to watch the child or take Nymeria with her, putting her own niece at risk. Neither was a desirable option, but if Lexi trusted Shana then that was good enough for her. A brief pang of guilt rang in her chest when she thought of how long she’d been away from home, how long she’d been away from Vin. She’d sent her younger brother to school so he’d have no trouble with lodging or food, but she still felt bad for not being there.

Ayero was about to respond when her eyes flared at the mention of hunting slave traders. It was a very dangerous thing to do, much less on one’s own. But Ayero could see the familiar pain of loss in Lexi’s eyes and knew that nothing she said would stop her.

”If it’s for the best, then I will take Shana and her children with me.”

She paused to see Lexi’s reaction, searching the girl’s face before continuing.

”I’ll stop by on my way back from Buer to gather them. And Lexi…be careful. I’d hate for Nymeria to grow up without her mother. Join us in Reim as soon as possible, once you’re…finished hunting.”

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

Lexi let out a sigh of relief when Ayero agreed to take Shana and the children with her to Reim, knowing the woman and unusual children would be much safer in a country where slavery had been outlawed. It would ease her mind, knowing her daughter would be safe and well cared for until she was done with her personal mission. As much as she ached to be with Nymeria at all times, part of her duty as a parent was to ensure the safety of her child. The best way she could think to do that would be to remove the greatest threat to her family, the slave traders. She gave Ayero a sad smile, glad the woman seemed to understand her determination.

“Thank you, my friend. I will try not to dawdle too long with the pesky slave traders, I promise. I do not think I could bear to be away from my sweet girl that long. And thank you, for offering them safety in a world where I struggle to do the same.”

The words were quiet but heartfelt as they drifted into the air.

Ayero

Ayero
Ω-Tier
Ω-Tier

Roughly a month and a half later, Ayero returned to where she knew Lexi’s clan to be, hoping that the group hadn’t moved too far in her absence. She had tied up loose ends with Merrze and dealt with her own band of slavers, discovering her own djinn capabilities in the process. Now she was heading back home, and had returned to collect Lexi’s family.

She approached the encampment slowly, her weapons either left back with her carpet or tucked safely out of reach, doing her best to appear as nonthreatening as possible, from her gait to her expression. She had only spent a short time with Lexi’s tribe and didn’t know them well beyond her friend and Shana.

Lexiara

Lexiara
A-Tier
A-Tier

The villagers gave Ayero a moderate berth as she moved through the settlement. They recognized her enough to not approach her with hostility, but they were still not overly fond of outsiders near the settlement, either. Word reached Lexi in moments and she gave a sad smile as she picked Nymeria up and moved towards the hut she shared with Shana, meeting Ayero on the way.

“My friend, we have been awaiting your return. You look well.”

She would nod Ayero towards the hut as she called out for Shana. The other woman knew of the agreement she had made with the Fanalis and while she hated the idea of leaving the Plains, she knew her family would be safer in Reim. If nothing else, at least slavery was illegal there. Lexi ducked into the hut with Nymeria bouncing on her hip, giving Shana a small, sad grin.

“Shana, Ayero, you remember each other.”

She handed Nymeria off to Shana while she began to pick up her daughter’s scattered belongings. The toddler fidgeted in Shana’s arms, wanting to get down and see what her mother was doing, but she was still silent, even as she learned the basics of language, she preferred silence most days. When Lexi leaned over to kiss Nymeria’s forehead, she pointed to Ayero with a smile.

“Nymeria, this is your Aunt Ayero. Say hi!”

“Hi, Yairooooo”

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum