You are not connected. Please login or register

Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 26/03/15, 07:37 pm

Ari wandered through the market, picking up fresh apples and checking them for ripeness as she went, wanting to get only the best possible ingredients. She planned to try and make one of her grandmother’s favorite dessert recipes for Adius and it required the perfect combination of ingredients. Once she had a basket full of apples, she moved to pick through the cinnamon stalks, being meticulous in her choosing. Her staff was tucked into her sash so she had both hands free, still not quite used to having a conduit that did not fit up her sleeve. She was clad in a simple black dress, refusing to wear the robes of the Academy now that she was no longer officially a student there. Her hair was trailing down her back in a river of deep purple, falling over her shoulder as she reached for one of the final ingredients. She stood on tiptoe to reach the sprig of spice she was looking for, inadvertently tipping the basket and allowing one of the apples to fall free. She cursed, turning to chase the apple across the ground, snatching it up just as it landed against someone’s foot. Looking up, she saw a man standing before her with long white hair and she immediately began apologizing.

“I am so sorry, it got away from me. I promise, I am better with a wand than a basket!”

She smiled brightly, holding out her hand to the man, vaguely recognizing him but not quite able to place his face.

──────────────────────────────────────────────

View user profile
Adrastos Thanatos, still wearing his usual black clothing - he didn't want to bother with buying new clothes - and carrying his staff in his right hand, roamed the market in search of food and maybe even a few magic books if he got lucky. He already acquired a few fruits consisting of giant red apples, ripe bananas, a few green grapes, and one small watermelon which rested in a basket he carried in his left arm. After gathering a few more fruits for himself, Adrastos decided to browse the rest of the market. His eyes caught sight of a gallery of swords and knives, all of which he wished he could use, and gazed upon them, thinking about what he could accomplish if he knew more than just magic. While the blue magician was looking at the variety of swords, he felt something hit his foot. Confused, the young man turned to see a young lady beside him who had just picked up the object that had rolled against his foot. Her apology made him smirk a bit, especially when she commented that she was better with a wand than with a basket.

"Oh, it's fine. No harm done," Adrastos responded. His eyes quickly examined the woman before him and he couldn't help but feel as if he had seen her someplace before. The blue magician attempted to ignore the feeling and shook her hand when she offered it to him. However, the familiar sensation would not leave as he thought it would. Plagued by this unnatural occurrence, Adrastos said, "I'm sorry, but have we met before? I can't help but feel as if I have seen you somewhere in my past."

Trait Points: 4/11 | SoS: 1
View user profile
Ari tossed the apple back into her basket before giving the man a more scrutinizing look, still having the feeling that she had seen him before. When he asked if they had met previously, she knew she must have met him at some point and held out her hand with a friendly smile.

“My name is Ariella Negri and chances are best we have seen each other around the city, if you have spent much time here. Your face is familiar, but I am afraid I cannot bring your name to mind. My theory is all the runes and spells just knock people’s names clean from my brain.”

She chuckled, switching her basket to her other arm to ease the hefty weight. She glanced at the stall he had been looking at before her rude interruption, raising an eyebrow at the selection of weapons. When she spoke, her voice was gently probing, curious as to what he might be looking for.

“Ah, looking to learn something more than just spell-slinging? Never a bad route to take…”

View user profile
Adrastos noticed the look he was being given by the young woman and wondered briefly if she was feeling the same sense of familiarity as he did. She gave him a friendly smile and Adrastos offered her one as well. He shook her hand as best as he could since he had to let go of Lux Animae Mortem, then gripped his staff again. He chuckled at her theory about how all the runes and spells seemed to have made her forget his name. "Ariella? Nice name. I'm Neo Mortem. I used to live in Magnostadt when I was younger with my uncle. I spent about five years here before traveling to Reim. Now, I'm back again hoping to learn some new magic."

The silver eyes of the blue magician moved their way back to the collection of weapons. He looked them over a bit more before he heard Ariella probe a bit with her question. "Yes. I've always been fascinated with learning how to fight with a sword. Seems like a good option in case my borg breaks. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a few more skills to use in Coliseum matches either, and it helps to be prepared for anything."

Adrastos looked at Ariella. "What about you?"

View user profile
Ariella was interested in hearing about his desire to learn to use a sword, nodding approvingly as he mentioned fighting in the Coliseum. She was surprised to hear he had lived in Magnostadt for a few years and assumed that she must have seen him around the large city at some point. When he asked about her, she chuckled.

“Oh, I have lived here most of my life, so that is probably why your face looks familiar. My parents are… were… diplomats. I actually have just come back to town from Reim, returning some borrowed magicians.”

Eying the swords for a moment, she cocked her head to the side.

“Ah, swords are nice, but I will warn you, wielding a staff and a sword at the same time can be complicated. I used to carry a wand, which was easier to slip out of the way when I wanted to use my dagger instead.”

She waved to the chain around her waist, the dagger hidden inside the folds of her clothing.

“The chain is part of my second favorite weapon, it has a ball on one end of the chain and a dagger on the other. I like weapons I can hide. But now I have a staff, much harder to hide.”

She held up the Jelly Staff with a rueful smile. She knew she would one day adjust to the larger size, but she really did miss being able to hide her main weapon up her sleeve. Cocking her head to the side, she eyed the swords again.

“You are not wrong, a second weapon that is not magical in nature is never a bad idea, despite what most people in this country will tell you. If you lose you wand and your borg, well… game over, we aren’t exactly the strongest race out there. I would highly encourage a second weapon of some type, if you think you can become proficient with its use. I had a good teacher that helped me learn to use my dagger without cutting off my own hand.”

She laughed softly, remembering her own struggles with her unusual weapon. It had taken her weeks to be able to use it without being a danger to herself, let alone anyone around her.

View user profile
Adrastos nodded occasionally to let Ariella know that he was paying attention to her words. She had just come from Reim? She probably knows about the war. Should I even ask? Adrastos thought to himself, trying to decided on how to respond. He finally swallowed and decided to risk it. "Reim, huh? Then, you probably know about the war. I left before anything happened and I have been secluding myself to the Plains since I arrived. What has become of it?"

His eyes looked at her staff. He had never seen anything like it before and was, for a moment, captivated by its appearance. Adrastos shook himself to snap him back into reality. "True, having a staff and a sword are difficult to wield together. I've been thinking about buying a wand instead, but it's very hard to find one that suits me."

Adrastos watched as Ariella looked back at the weapons once again. Her head was cocked to the side which made her look younger almost, but he wasn't going to make a comment. "Well, I plan on finding a master to teach me how to fight with a sword. I'm hoping I will also be able to learn hand-to-hand combat as well." He sighed softly to himself. "The only problem is that I am wanting to learn a second magic type, and I can't leave Magnostadt until I do. My master is a very difficult man to find since he does not like to be sought out by others. I don't feel like I should learn the way of the blade until I have gained further knowledge in magic."

Adrastos wondered why he was telling this young lady anything about him. The reason was invisible to him, and he couldn't stop himself from talking. Did he crave attention that much after being alone for as long as he had, or did his subconscious think that it was time to trust someone? Nonsense. Enough with such foolish thinking. You haven't told her anything important, and it's not like you'll see her again once you leave Magnostadt. A little bit of the truth wouldn't hurt. Just mix it up with some lies.

View user profile
When Neo asked about Reim, Ari’s face fell into a somewhat neutral mask. It wasn’t that she did not want to talk about it, she just wasn’t quite sure how to explain the outcome. Taking a deep breath, she ordered her thoughts before speaking about it, leaving out some of the more sensitive details.

“Well, Reim won, in a fashion. Really, I think both sides won. Prince Yoshiro ended his father’s cruel rule and has made a pact of peace with the ruler of Reim. Kou has withdrawn their forces and now has a much more peaceful ruler, so it was a win-win situation, far better than some of the other options.”

Ari chuckled as he mentioned having a difficult time finding a suitable wand, nodding in understanding.

“My first conduit was a wand, given to me by my parents. Our whole family tends to favor wands over staffs, because of how easy it is to hide them, but I felt it was time for something stronger and this suited my purposes. I may trade it in for a wand one day, if I ever find one that I like more than this.”

While he spoke about his magic master, she began running her hand over a sword, testing the metal for any surface abnormalities before moving on to the next blade. She remembered that Azix had lost his sword and was considering buying him another one. As she examined the different blades, she glanced at Neo with a friendly smile.

“Ah, the quest to become ever stronger. It is one I know well. I currently wield two magic types with proficiency. I hope to learn more soon, but that means taking another Kodor test before any of the teachers will allow me to study through the Academy. Not that I do not have other options for learning, but I would rather have their blessing, being a citizen and all. My family tends to be in the spotlight, so I occasionally try to follow the guidelines of the Academy.”

She chuckled at gave Neo a mischievous grin to show she was not particularly well known for following the rules around the magical city. Her expression turned thoughtful and she tapped her chin in contemplation.

“If you can’t find your master, I am sure I could help you find another. My brother is actually a teacher at the Academy, as was my father. I would offer to teach you what I know, but I am limited to Lightning or Life Magics, so unless those are in your field of interest, I would not be of much use to you right now.”

Her eyes fell on a blade, something about the craftsmanship of the hilt and blade making it catch her attention. Taking the blade down from the display, she handed it to the man running the stall and asked him to wrap it securely before handing him the appropriate amount of coins with a large tip, asking to have it delivered to the Negri Estate. The man’s eyes widened at the name before nodding emphatically and quickly moving to fill her request. Turning back to Neo, she smiled again.

“So, you lived here… you went to Reim… and now you are bouncing between here and the Plains. Anywhere else in this wide world you have been to? My travels have been limited to Balbadd and Reim, unless you count a couple of childhood visits to Heliohapt.”

She could not even remember the sandy country, really. She had been far too young to hold any attachment to the place, though it was where her grandmother had been from and was the reason for her rather exotic looks in the city of pale magicians.

View user profile
When Ariella's face turned into an unreadable mask, he wondered if Kou had won. It wouldn't had surprised them if they had. After all, they were strong, and hardly let anything stop them from obtaining what they wanted when they set their sights on it. However, the news he heard was the exact opposite than what he had been expecting. He kept his face emotionless, but his mind was swirling with thoughts and his heart constricted with conflicting emotions.

Reim won? Kou lost? How? His mind tried to process what he had just heard, but it struggled greatly to digest the information. Prince Yoshiro? He killed his own father? What about the others? The siblings? He most likely dispatched them as well so that he could gain the throne. Now Kou was at peace with Reim? A peaceful ruler? Adrastos didn't like the sound of any of this. That meant that the Kou he knew, the one that he had grown to love and feel a certain similarity to, was now gone. It would never be the same again. Damn that, Yoshiro. How will I be able to use Kou to my own advantage now that you're going to change everything? It would have been better if Reim had just fallen!

Adrastos was snapped back into reality when Ariella began to speak about wands and her family as she became suddenly interested in the swords that were displayed. It was a bit odd, but he didn't question it. She then went on to talk about teachers and even offered to find him a new one if he could not find the master he was searching for. He was briefly distracted with the wide-eyed expression of the merchant when she told him to send the chosen blade to the Negri estate, but momentarily pushed it aside.

"Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to assist me, Ariella. I feel as though I should learn a new magic type from someone I am familiar with rather than a stranger. I am thankful that you offered, but this is something I must do on my own, in my own way. The magic I wish to learn is Light, and I feel as though only my master will be able to help me with the idea I have for it. I have only two people to thank for the idea of learning Light Magic and they are Aengar and Azix. I've done a few jobs with Aengar, but it wasn't until Azix taught me more about magic did I desire to learn the secrets of Light Magic."

Adrastos then paused to think to himself. Negri? Diplomats? It then all clicked into place and he instantly felt foolish for not recognizing the name earlier. The Negri household was well recognized within Magnostadt. When he was younger, he had thought of them to be royalty. He remembered that while being here in his younger years, he would hear stories about the daughter of a pair of diplomats often causing trouble within the Academy walls. The list was much too long for the blue magician to remember, but he remembered that this girl had gotten into a lot of trouble. He hadn't made the connection before since he had all but forgotten of the Negri name, and now, he was unsure about how to act around her.

Adrastos decided to act casual and be the same as he had been when he first met Ariella. There was no need to make things awkward now. "Not really. Just here and Reim," he responded, leaving out the fact that he had been to Kou before first arriving in Magnostadt years ago. "I just go wherever I please."

View user profile
Ari’s expression sharpened slightly at hearing Azix’ name, unfamiliar with the other name mentioned. She tried to recall if Azix had ever mentioned Neo, but with the commotion surrounding the war, they had not had much of a chance to simply visit and catch up on minor details and meetings. She made a mental note to ask Azix about it via Journey Book later. She gave an understanding nod when Neo mentioned having to learn in his own way.

“I can completely understand needing to use your own method. It was why I originally left home. The Academy was simply not… conducive to my learning needs. I found a good trainer in Reim that was extremely helpful, Figuro.”

She paused for a moment, trying to decide if she should mention Azix. She kept mention of him professional, not wanting to directly reveal her relationship with the Light Magician.

“Ah, Azix can be quite the inspiration, or so many people in Reim feel. He was actually asked by Prince- sorry, Emperor Yoshiro to be the Kou Ambassador to Reim, to stabilize relations, I suppose. I am interested to see how the new Emperor will differ from his father. His father was not well liked by any country, then again, he had a habit of trying to spread his country to places he did not belong.”

Her voice became a bit harder speaking of the previous Emperor, recalling all too clearly when he had made an attempt for Magnostadt and the strain it had put on the Academy and her family. Her father had been on the front lines, along with her mother, and while she had not been on close terms with her parents, it did not keep her from worrying about them surviving the onslaught of Kou troops. She cleared her throat, her face immediately brightening.

“Well, we shall see, I suppose. My own experience with Yoshiro was difficult in and of itself. Word from the wise, do not ever get caught making out with a Prince, it ends in embarrassment.”

She snorted at the memory, ignoring the sear of hurt she still suffered as a result of that evening, chuckling softly.

“I would like to travel more. Hopefully with things calming down, I will have a chance to see the world a bit now. I would really like to see where my grandmother grew up again, in Heliohapt. I also want to see Kou, I hear the land is gorgeous and the customs quite unique to any other part of the world. Balbadd is pretty and very casual, but it did not hold my interest for long.”

View user profile

10 Re: Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 28/03/15, 08:22 pm

Adrastos listened closely to Ariella's words. He kept his face neutral as he thought and listened, often allowing his eyes to look over the swords more before going back to Ariella's eyes. So Azix is to become a Kou Ambassador to Reim? Interesting. However, do people even consider the possibilities of this new Emperor to snap under the pressure of his new title? Maybe, maybe not, but it will be interesting to see how this all goes in the future.

Adrastos couldn't help but smirk at Ariella's advice. "I don't foresee me making out with a prince anytime soon, Ariella, so I think you're advise will be kept by me. As for traveling, well, that is a wonderful adventure. I might go see the other countries when I have time, but it all depends on what happens in the future. I have already met a few interesting characters since I first began my own travels."

The blue magician thought back to the bloody night which had taken his parents lives and stolen his own freedom. His flesh could still feel the sting of the whip that bit into his grimy skin when he was forced to work on a ship as he watched his friends die and be sold off to strangers across the world. He shook his head to banish such dark thoughts and smiled at Ariella. "If you don't mind me asking, what sort of staff is that?"

View user profile

11 Re: Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 28/03/15, 09:03 pm

Ari gave a soft chuckle at his comments about not making out with a prince before her attention was directed to his question about her staff. Holding it up so he could inspect it more closely, she beamed proudly.

“This is an advanced staff. They are made of a more sturdy material than basic magical conduits and usually have access to a built in magic type. This one is imbued with Slime magic. It combines Life and Water magic to make an acidic slime. Quite handy, as the density of the slime also slows water I may be attacking. They are quite pricey, but generally worth the price. My old wand was a plain wooden affair, this one feels much sturdier, so I won’t have to worry as much if I find myself in a tight spot.”

She was quite happy with her purchase of the staff, it seemed more fitting for her advancing role. It would also come in handy during her Kodor test. Cocking her head to the side, she shot Neo a curious look.

“Have you ever seen a Kodor test?”

View user profile

12 Re: Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 28/03/15, 09:14 pm

Adrastos looked at the staff Ariella wielded in wonder and awe. He wished he had a staff as strong as the one she had. What made the conduit even more intriguing was the magic type. Slime Magic. Adrastos had never heard of such a combination with water and life magic. It made him more curious about the types of magical combinations that could be achieved with water and light. "It must come in handy, that's for sure."

The blue magician nodded after he had looked at the staff. Ariella had a right to be proud of it. "A Kodor test? No I don't think I have. I have heard they are similar to that of Coliseum matches though, but only magic is allowed. It's what students of the Academy must go through and pass if they want to advance in citizenship and rank. Why?"

View user profile

13 Re: Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 28/03/15, 09:34 pm

Ari nodded at his explanation of the Kodor test before smiling.

“That is about right. The final Kodor test, to pass into the First Kodor, is the most difficult. You fight against two First Kodor students at the same time. I was asking because I actually will be doing that test soon. You could come watch! My father and friends are currently across the sea in Reim, so the only person that will be there is my brother and a child I am watching. It is always nice to have a friendly face in the crowd and I have a feeling I will need all the encouragement I can get.”

She wasn’t sure what had made her invite him to the Kodor test, she had not even told Azix about it. Perhaps because she did not feel she had anything to prove to him. She knew from experience that watching a Kodor test was thrilling, seeing as the magicians threw spells at each other, pushing the other to the very limits of their damage to test out their skill and magoi levels. It was one of the best ways to see the potential a magician had and it was how she was going to prove to herself that she was strong enough to fight at her lover’s side and support him in his goals.

View user profile

14 Re: Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 28/03/15, 11:04 pm

Adrastos blinked a few times in stunned silence. She wanted him, a person she had just met, to attend her Kodor test to cheer her on? He wasn't sure what to say. Obviously, Ariella expected an answer, but he wasn't sure how to even give a simple yes or no. He stared at her, speechless for a few moments before he was able to say anything. "You're inviting me to watch your test?"

Adrastos thought it over in his head. He saw no cons to attending, and one of the pros meant that he would be able to see just how strong this young woman was. Maybe he could use her as an ally in the future. He sure as hell wouldn't want her as an enemy. After even more silence, Adrastos finally gave his answer. "Sure. I'll come to your Kodor test. Just tell me when and where and I'll be there."

View user profile

15 Re: Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 28/03/15, 11:25 pm

Ari smiled brightly when he agreed to attend her test. While she did not know him, even a vaguely familiar face would be welcome, aside from Adius and Vin, Ayero’s brother. She wished that she had told Azix about the test, wanting him to be there, but she knew he had many duties to attend to as he settled into the role of Ambassador. The sooner he got everything sorted, the sooner they would be able to go on the vacation he promised.

“Well, I am glad you agreed to go. It will be in one week’s time, at the Academy. You can’t miss the proving ground, I promise. First Kodor tests are kind of a big deal, mostly due to the sheer amount of damage that can be caused.”

Glancing to the sky, she frowned at how far the sun had travelled, realizing she should probably be getting back if she hoped to finish her dish before Adius arrived home.

“Neo, it was lovely to meet you. Unfortunately, I have a bit of cooking to do and while I am no slob with a wand, I prefer to use a wooden spoon in the kitchen, which takes quite a bit more time. I look forward to seeing you at my test!”

With a final wave, Ariella turned to head for the Estate, wanting to get the dessert started.

[exit]

View user profile

16 Re: Friendly Encounters [Social/Adra] on 29/03/15, 12:21 am

Adrastos nodded, making a mental note of the information that was given to him by Ariella. Before he could ask anymore information or provide another topic to converse about, Ariella had to leave to go prepare something. Adrastos looked up to the sky. It was getting late. He hadn't planned on being out so late for a measly shopping trip, but time had slipped by since he began chatting with the young magician. Adrastos watched Ariella leave silently and only said good-bye when she was already long gone. He smiled to himself, however, and felt a bit relieved to have talked with somebody. He wished he remembered where exactly he had seen her, but now that he knew her, there was no point in dwelling on the past. "Guess I'll see you then, Ariella."

Adrastos then turned and walked away, hoping to eat something before he began another day of searching for his master.

[exit]

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum