John Davis
D-Tier
D-Tier

Job Name: A Sappy Story
Job Rank: D
Job Location: Portsmouth
Job Reward: 3k Huang | 50xp
Job Prerequisites: John
Job Overview: The shipwrights have all come down with an illness that robs them of their strength and threatens their lives. Some in the town fear there is a plague while the soldiers insist that it isn't an emergency. The most they will do is put in a request for more shipwrights and a doctor. But there is a rumor that one of the men fallen ill keeps speaking of wild things that stretch the imagination. Investigate the root cause of this mysterious sickness.

Something was not quite right. Not a mere few minutes of arriving at Portsmouth, and John was already witnessing a strange happenstance. Most of the shipwrights were missing. Empty storefronts for shipwright businesses left and right.

There were at least a few men manning their shops, but they looked quite ill. There were also hushed rumors that were spreading like a wildfire. It just so happened that the sailor caught wind of it.

Murmurs of a plague befell the lips of most of the townspeople. Though the more seasoned soldiers waved it off like it was nothing to be concerned about. Still. John wasn't convinced. He was going to get to the bottom of this.

Just as John was hoping to find a lead, he caught a duo nearby spinning a wild yarn. According to the quieted conversation, one man had seemed to have gone crazy; claiming things that just couldn't be true in the wildest of imaginations. Maybe this crazed man could grant some insight into the peculiar illness.

──────────────────────────────────────────────

John's Vault

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

An unexpected detour. Zion had made it all the way to the capitol city of Reim with plans to depart southward to Heliohapt. But men make plans and fate laughs. Recent developments required Zion to send a letter off to Magnostadt, or more specifically, to the Koval Estate east of the magician's city. This letter was to inform Jericho of a potential guest that might be heading his way. Zion donned his disguise which hid his foxly features and a veiled cloak to further mask his visage. With that done he set out flying east back towards the coast seeking out a well known port town called Portsmouth.

The magician arrived amidst the melancholic scene of empty storefronts and low spirits. It did not match the bustling excitement of a busy port he had been expecting so Zion started to stroll around town eavesdropping on the locals. It didn't take long to glean a general understanding of the situation as it was the talk of the town. Sickness had befallen the shipwrights which built and maintained the various vessels that dropped anchor in port. The epidemic hadn't spread just yet, but there were a number of ships unable to set sail unless they received some repairs and other industries which required the workers patronage such as the lumberers and millers. The costs were weighing on more than just those who had become ill.

There was nothing to gain from getting involved. It would have been easy for Zion to bring his letter to one of the captains who still had a seaworthy ship. However, would that be the act of a "great" person? Striving to live up to his father's expectations and driven by a definition of "greatness" influenced by the kindness of Noir, Zion decided that he would do what he could in order to help solve the town's crisis. Unsure of where to start on his own, Zion approached a nearby stranger who didn't seem too busy.

"Greetings, do you happen to know where I can find someone who has caught this supposed 'plague'?"

The individual Zion approached happened to be John just after he had overhead the whispered rumor of a madman. "Preferably someone afflicted most heavily be the sickness. I am a travelling doctor and may be able to help..." The foxdoll spoke through the veil covering his face. It was something of a lie, but the young magician did possess a magic tool with healing properties and the staff in his hand should clearly mark him as a magician. Zion was confident he could play the role of healer temporarily.

WC: 435/500

John Davis

John Davis
D-Tier
D-Tier

"Hm?" John turned slightly when the individual approached him.

At first, the man gave the stranger an inquisitive gaze. It was not a regular occurrence for John to meet people that covered their faces. Though, with all of this talk of a plague, then perhaps the curious magician was smarter than he.

"Hello, sir. A doctor, huh?" John mused while bringing his hand to his chin. "That explains the mask, at least." Though now that John was paying more attention to the locals, he began to notice that others were taking precautions against the so-called plague.

His blue eyes fell to the staff in the man's hand. John's experiences helped him with identifying notable features that separated the different classes in the world, being well-traveled as he was.

"You must be a magical healer then," he gathered. "Probably a good thing. I don't know if medicine can truly help whatever is happening here."

John sighed gently as his gaze shifted toward the group he previously eavesdropped on. "As for the person you're looking for, I just happened to overhear talk of a man who seems to have been hit the hardest by this sickness that's spread throughout Portsmouth. He's been claiming that he sees visions. Some think he might just be mad. Could be a fever dream, but I was about to go check it out myself and see what's what."

WC: 401/500

John's Vault

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

John's question about the nature of healing Zion provided earned an affirming nod from the magician as he gave a slight introductory bow. The words he had spoken made the magician silently agree with John's assessment. Perhaps there really was more to this "plague" than fevers and bacteria. "I must impose upon you to lead the way then." Zion gestured before following the sailor to a shipwright's shop. The man owned an impressive dry dock but it was quiet and void of workers. One of his apprentices greeted them somberly at the door before agreeing to let them see the bedridden craftsman.

The shipwright was a middle aged man with a large frame, but his muscular form still managed to look weak. Black veins ran throughout pale sweating skin and a constant expression of pain was across his bearded face. "Demons...monsters in the wood. Why won't you believe me?" When the shipwright noticed the door opening he began to plead through his agony. The apprentice frowned and sighed, "A healer has come to try and cure you. Please just be quiet about that for a moment." The young worker spoke out of concern for his mentor.

"Let him speak. I'm rather interested in stories about demons and monsters."

Zion stepped forward and moved the the side of the bed. "Who are you?" asked the shipwright as his eyes were swollen shut and he could not see. Zion slowly reached up to touch his shoulder as he introduced himself. "My name is Noiz, I'm a healer from Magnostadt." Using a simple trick to change his name, Zion created an alias as he activated the golden armband hidden beneath his clothing. The magician then reached out and emitted a golden light from his hand which washed over the sick man.

The Holy Blessing restored his body and burned away impurities, which caused the man's condition to improve. But as the light faded his skin remained pale and black veins were still pulsing along his body. Zion frowned and reached out to touch the shipwright's wrist. The bewildered man hardly noticed as Zion probed his magoi using a bit of the magician's own, he was too absorbed in the relief of all his pain fading.

"Unfortunately, I am unable to heal this sickness...I could only relief the symptoms. Sooner or later, they will come back."

The foxdoll retrieved his hand and spoke grimly as he closed his eyes and stepped back. "Do you mind if we look at your lumber?" The news had hit the shipwright hard, it was bone chilling to think the agony of the past few days wasn't over, it was just repeating. It took him a moment to give Zion permission. The magician then turned and began walking with a purpose.

Zion's examination of the shipwright revealed a complex magic formulae at work within his body. One which was beyond the young magician's understanding of life rukh. This meant there was a powerful magician behind the supposed plague, or perhaps even more dangerous...some fool with a powerful magic tool. Either way, the situation had just become much more dire. Zion wasn't sure he would be able to handle it all by himself.

Even so, the young doll had resolved himself to his lonely journey. This wasn't something he could just walk away from. In a narrow minded decision, Zion was taking all the weight onto himself. He would rush past John in a hurry moving into the workshop to inspect the lumber. Laser focused on his task, the magician would spot similar advanced life magic flowing inside the wood. "Just as I had feared...This place is in danger." The magician muttered quietly to himself not thinking he would be heard. "I need to find where this wood came from, and fast. The culprit is probably able to stop this plague."

Magoi: 330/340

Magic Tool Used:

John Davis

John Davis
D-Tier
D-Tier

John just sort of stayed off to the side while the healer performed his job. The sailor wouldn't be of much help in that department. Though he still ensured to pay attention to the events that would transpire.

Worry caused the corners of his lips to curl slightly downward at the mention of the demons. This plague was not only affecting the body, but the mind as well. Perhaps the spirit, too, he thought.

The sailor listened with a heavy heart when Noiz explained that he could not permanently cure the peculiar plague. Though, the magician appeared to be onto a hunch. John perked up when he began to ask about the origin of the lumber.

"Hey," he started, "I know where the wood comes from." He straightened his posture, now that he was more attentive. "All of the wood in Portsmouth comes from the Great Forest. You think whoever did this is still there?"

WC: 556/500

John's Vault

Zion

Zion
A-Tier
A-Tier

The sudden voice chiming in startled the magician as he jumped slightly. Turning around to find the sailor that had led him here standing ready to assist, Zion relaxed and shook his head at his own foolishness. "I must apologize. When new magics are involved, I can sometimes lose track of my surroundings." Realizing he'd been rude, Zion gave a slight bow of apology before smiling beneath his veil at the man.

"It will be dangerous if my assumptions are correct. Even knowing this, you still want to go?"

Though the young man looked hardy enough to tough out the bravest of storms on the sea, facing a magician was a whole other beast of effort and risk. Zion couldn't help but offer warning. But if the sailor remained confident in his ability to help lead Zion to the great forest, the foxdoll would not reject the offer.

"Very well, lead the way then."

[EXIT]

WC: 500+/500

John Davis

John Davis
D-Tier
D-Tier

Resolve was gathering within the sailor. If there was one life lesson which he chose to hold onto from his upbringing, it was the desire to help others. Whether they needed it or not.

Portsmouth was in danger. That much John knew. "If we're heading to the Great Forest," he reasoned, "you'll need an experienced sailor to guide you. Most people will try to charge you for their services. You won't have to worry about that from me." He shifted his weight to his left foot as he rested his left arm against the pommel of his sword. "I have a friend that's a captain of a small vessel. We can charter his ship to the Great Forest."

Though, John's face darkened. "I don't care how dangerous it is. My home is in danger. This plague is localized to the port for now. But if it's from the wood, it will soon spread to the rest of the city like wildfire. Reim will not only suffer a plague but soon it will become weak from economical collapse in the aftermath."

John took a sharp inhale. "Okay. I'll lead the way. My friend isn't docked too far from here."

[EXIT]

WC: 500+/500

John's Vault

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum